Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Hmm... 1911 content inside!

Thanks for the pics whore bag. Make me feel even worse about wanting to build a better one. haha.
    Only two men ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Defend your rights or lose them forever.

i want that one.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

Here are some pics from this weekend. I have a couple of pics of the milspec danny and i worked on until 5am. I have some pics of the new fighter. I also have some pics from plinking in the backyard in the snow this weekend. LULZ.. Snowing in late march!

SPECS on the MILSPEC BUILD:
    Springfield MilSpec 5" 1911
    Custom Graphite Black Cerakote
    Custom Light Dehorn on sharp edges
    Smith and Alexander Hard Fit Beavertail Safety Grip
    Fit Beavertail Safety Grip
    Extended Thumb Safety
    Extended Mag Release
    Extended Slide Stop
    Commander Hammer
    Aftermarket Trigger
    Ed Brown one piece guide rod
    Ed Brown Recoil Spring
    Ed Brown Recoil Spring Buffers

SPECS ON MY NEW FIGHTER:
    FS--Springfield 5" 1911
    HARD PARTS:
    Wilson Combat Barrel, Hand Fit
    Wilson Combat Tactical Thumb Safety
    Cylinder and Slide Match Trigger, Disconnector
    Cylinder and Slide Slide Stop
    Tactical extended Mag Release
    Novak Night Sights
    Ed Brown High Grip Beavertail Grip safety
    Smith and Alexander mag guide custom contoured
    Mil-tac Black and Desert Tan Grips
    Wilson Combat 8rd Mag
    Novak Rail Mount

GUNSMITH MACHINE WORK:
    20 LPI front strap machine checkering
    Machine frame for high grip front strap
    Machine frame and fit high grip beavertail
    Flat top Slide
    Serrate Slide to help with light glare
    Dovetail front and rear sights
    Serrate Rear of Slide to help with light glare
    Trigger tuned to a crisp 4.5#
    Blend Smith and Alexander Magwell
    Bevel Slide at frame
    Install Novak Rail mount
    Install Wilson Barrel Assy

Anywho.. Lets the pics speak for themselves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc00270-jpg   -dsc00289-jpg   -dsc00287-jpg   -dsc00288-jpg   -dsc00263-jpg  

Only two men ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Defend your rights or lose them forever.

Inspection of the fighter follows: I typed this up and sent it to the original builder.

Well I finally got to tear down the pistol today and these are some of my findings.
    Bevel Job on the slide is extremely wavy. At one end there is no bevel and at the rear of the slide its huge.
    Magwell blend looks like it was done with a roll disc and a dremel and there are two really wavy spots in it. I took a flat file and some ignition files and cleaned it up but it still isnt perfect.
    Thumb safety primary face was filed at an angle and is giving an inconsistent feel in the locked position. It does pass both click test and functions test so no biggy.
    Strut and strut pin are both horribly loose. Strut actually has lateral movement when hammer is moved.
    The throat of the barrel face is not even. I am not sure if it was done from wilson combat that way or hand throated but the left side of the throat has alot of machine marks in it and isnt even.
    Feed ramp was chewed up. I fed about 75rds of jhp through it to see how it fed. Most of the ftf and fte i had were with the JHP's. I personally dont feel any gun should ever have and problems feeding any kind of ammo. Especially a "custom" one.
    The ejector was loose. So loose in fact that I could wiggle it side to side. I am still investigating this problem.
    Sear face has alot of machine marks in it. Not sure where they came from but they are there. It also had to really large burrs on it.
    Trigger did not pass the "fall out of the frame" test. I have always been tought that the trigger should be just tight enough that when you flip the frame upside down the trigger should fall out. I put some dyken blue on the trigger bow and trigger itself and there were alot of wear marks. I am not sure if this gun was bead/media blasted before it was coated but there was alot of grit and what appeared to be media in the trigger stirrup/slot area. I cleaned it up with some popsicle sticks and sandpaper and also cleaned up all the burrs on the trigger itself. It functions a million times better and hopefully will not lock itself to the rearward position ever again.

For the most part everything else looked to be in pretty good shape. I cleaned up alot of the rough surfaces and checked fit of everything else. I didnt see any file marks on the barrel to indicate it was a hard fit barrel. The headspace checked out and the barrel to slide clearance checked out as well. I am hoping there are no hiccups on the next outing. If I do continue to have problems with the gun and if it is ok i would like to send the gun back to you Mr. James and have you look over the gun since you are the original builder. I plan on doing a full media blast and coat here in the next couple of weeks if everything checks out ok and since I have already started fixing all the little imperfections in the gun.

suckage man
    "The 1911 is a collection of subsystems that must work together. Each part must be prepared and fit properly not only in and of itself, but also with regard to the other parts with which it must operate for the gun to function and appear as desired."

In reality I have already sold one of the holsters, the surefire e2d, the simmonich grips for $150.
    I got to keep 6 wilson combat mags, the surefire x300, the $100 worth of ammo at $480 worth of value. Danny you know what I paid for it so if i have to ditch it do the math. I will be in good shape. Chris James the builder was appauled that I found that many inconsistancies in his work. I am no expert builder but I know the basics. I would hate to send it off to one of the big name guys and have them fine tooth comb it. Anywho.. Its a great pistol that just needs the finishing touches. When I get done tinkering with it and I take it out and run it this weekend barring any problems it will be in the mail to you if you get time to coat it. I have 6 more items to sell and then I will be ready to make another brownells order for my future bobtail build. I am putting a list of things for you to work on with the fighter if you get time. Anywho.. Long day. I worked on my boat for about 4 hrs trying to figure out a wiring problem. $100 worth of parts later and still no luck. Hoping to get it fixed and on the water tomorrow.

On a side note. If this one runs like shit after this weekend the original builder said he would fix it free of charge i pay shipping. He also said for the hassle he would do some machining work on another frame/slide if i chose to pick one up. I might send him the milspec to see if he is any better now that its been two years since he did this one supposedly. Anywho..

Later.

Oh and I sold that box full of old shit parts for $125 including the cross cannons! LULZS>

Quote Originally Posted by Truegiant View Post
    Sup fockers!

I picked up another 1911 project. It hasnt made it to my door just yet. Should go in the mail on thursday and be on my door sometime on saturday or monday. I have been SEARCHING FOR A LONG time to find something that would be a good project to start with and not to much cost up front. I had one like this in stainless before and loved it. I sold it because I wanted one with an alloy frame. I bought it and sold it. Needless to say. I wanted another so here it is:

Springfield Armory 1911 Champion .45 ACP.

List of goodies the previous owner told me it has:
    -Full Length Recoil Guide Rod
    -Vioecki Trigger
    -Custom Night Sights
    -Extended Beavertail Grip Safety
    -Extender Slide Release
    -Commander Hammer
    -Flat Checkered Main Spring Housing
    -Lowered & Flared Ejection Port

ALOT of these parts will be coming off in order to replace and refit more parts. I already have a match barrel for it I have been holding on to for a while. I will not fit it until i get the rest of the gun where i want it. Here are some pics from the ad. These list for about $650-700.

That is one of the best looking SA Champions I have seen, not like I have seen a lot, but man that looks good! Did you do the Bobtail and refinish yourself?

Anybody had a chance to check out the new Kimber Super Carry Pro? I have been trying to find some more information on it, like when it is suppost to be shipped to dealers and then hopefully some reviews soon after!
    The Real E

Danny did all the work on that one. He can take credit if he wishes! Now I have 4 more to finish up and then its on to another personal build for myself. YAY

Fun times! I should be getting my frame/slide back early this week! woot

Tomorrow I have to take my AR back to the shop I bought it from too. Hopefully they can help me out, if not Daniel Defense needs to step up and fix the issues asap!

My Flickr!
    Blog! Follow Me!!

**Some people are like slinkies, they are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs**

Whats wrong with your black rifle? Call me if needed danny has my number or pm me for it.

I'll know more details tonight.

**Cliff notes: 2 FTE's and about 8 out of 15 FTF on the second magazine while shooting. Consistent FTF when hand racking - less than ideal I know. Daniel Defense told me its probably a build up of phosphate on the feed ramps, to clean/lube and report back to them. Took it back to the place I bought it from, they soaked it with lube and it fired about 50 rounds with no problem. I'm going to clean the feed ramps, re-lube, and hit up the range today as it's still FTF when hand cycling (I know, lots of room for error when doing this). So tonight I'll have a good report on whats going on with the rifle. If its still messing up it'll be going back to DD**

I can't wait to get some classes in w/ both the AR and 1911. Super excited!

Just received an email w/ my 1911 frame/slide tracking number! Woot

My Flickr!
    Blog! Follow Me!!

**Some people are like slinkies, they are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs**

Sounds good. I will know more info about when I will be coming up in the next two weeks or so.

One thing to remember when charging the charging handle is to let the buffer spring naturally push the rounds forward. Dont try and ease the charging handle forward so to speak. Did you remove the buffer spring and buffer and check if they had lube on them? I have noticed that alot of black guns especially our new ones at work dont run right for the first 100rds or so unless they are nice and wet back there. Dont be afraid to skimp on the lube either. I can honestly say that I use alot of lube on our work weapons and all my black guns. ALOT OF LUBE. To the point that when they fire you can see it misting out of the side of the ejection port.

Another thing.. is it not going into battery? Is it kicking the round up into the top of the upper where the gas tube is? Is it double feeding? I am alot more knowledgable with the black guns than 1911's. Let me know what you find.

So here is one of the new projects. I got my springfield loaded lightweight in today. I havent even had time to play with it. I bought it to part out and use the frame for my new CCO/EDC project. Still havent made up my mind which direction I want to go.

Colt CCO Slide assy:
    - Factory National Match Barrel
    - Factory Tritium NOVAK Night sites
    - Titanium Firing Pin
    - Milled Flat Top of slide
    - Serrated Top of slide

FRAME: (For pics only is mounted on one of my milspec frames)
    Concepts/options/directions (PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN WITH DIRECTION OR YOUR OPINIONS!!!)
    - Use the lightweight loaded frame I got with the new gun purchase
    - Buy a tricked out alloy fusion/caspian frame
    - Buy one of those cool looking STI 2011 alloy frames that are lighter than a standard alloy frame and the same width. Double stack doesnt look cool but theres are the same width as a standard single stack wit hregular grips and they hold like 12-14 rounds! WOOHOO!

I have 4 pistol up for sale/trade right now I have to get ride of to build this next project. Hopefully they will sell soon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc00335-jpg   -dsc00333-jpg   -dsc00337-jpg   -dsc00336-jpg   -dsc00334-jpg  

Ohhhhh looks promising!!

As far as my AR goes, yeah its fully lubed now. The rear was not lubed and the bolt carrier wasn't "ideal" it was fully lubed before the guy shot all 50 though and worked great. But once getting home and hand cycling them it was still catching up. When it does FTF it hangs up and does NOT go into battery. The bolt carrier is still wide open and the front 1/4 tip of the bullet is sitting in the feed ramp. A solid hit to the bottom of the mag feeds and puts it into battery. Someone said maybe its the gas system?

Was suppose to have an update from the range today. Got to the range and a group had just gotten there for some classes so it was closed to the public....FAIL! My 1911 frame/slide get back to me tomorrow so hopefully this weekend I'll put it together in a rough state and shoot the 1911 and the AR...HOPEFULLY, I have a crazy busy weekend.

My Flickr!
    Blog! Follow Me!!

Sounds good. How many mags do you have and what kind are you using? Are you filling them full and cycling? Try some of those milspec mags I gave danny and see if they help out. Bad mags will do that exact problem you are mentioning. Another thing as well i have seen is to check how sharp the feed ramps are going into the "star chamber" - sometimes they will have burrs on them from machining that for some odd reason pass inspection.

oh and another thing. Check and see if the buffer is binding at all. Sometimes if the buffer tube and stock are not perfectly square in the lower it will bind like you are saying. What happens is the castle nut gets over torqued and it causes the tube to bind the buffer enough to not chamber a round. SEEN THAT happen a bunch of times too with people who build kits. not DD stock guns??

Nice 1911's.
    -Derick-
    2007 - Si

I've tried about 6 diff PMAGS and the guy shot 1 PMAG and 1 "stock style" the other day.

We tried full 30 round mags along with 10-15 rounds in them too, same results. Just gotta go shoot it and see what happens. DD told me if it happens this time to call them again and they'll figure out shipping and get it in for repairs.

My Flickr!
    Blog! Follow Me!!

They are a good group of guys down there. There shop is actually not that far from the house!

Went out blasting some rounds yesterday. Still sick as crap! Will post pics up today or tomorrow.

So.. Updates I suppose are due. I have been extremely busy with work and trying to find a new career outside of the ARMY. I got my disability ratings back and I suppose I am more "disabled" than I thought or atleast the VA seems to think that way. I am having another jaw surgery tomorrow. I am on convalescent leave from work for 30 days. My retirement orders should come down from HRC in two weeks and I should start clearing then. I should start my terminal leave sometime around the end of may beginning of June. I should be on terminal leave for 85 days. I am hoping to start a new job sometime around July 1st or 15th.

I have two more interviews next week down at FLETC. One is a follow up interview with the US MARSHALS. The other is my third interview but first face to face with the ICE at FLETC. I am hoping one of them pans out. I have 2-3 jobs lined up here locally already but I am ready to jump on the FLE bandwagon ASAP plus there pay is good money and I will be able to save an ass load on healthcare costs. $60k a year soundsbetter than $40k a year locally.

I havent shot much lately. I have been working on projects around the house, trying to find another truck project, pay off bills and reorganize my 401K/IRA money. Ordered some new grips for the fighter. I got a sweet deal on 10 new wilson combat ETM magazines. They retail at around $50 each. I didnt pay near that for them. I need to get around to scrounging upall my old 1911 mags and selling them off now. I picked up 400 more rounds of ammo as well from the guy. I have a box of mixed brass and a couple of officer mags I need to send to you danny.

The wife quit her job at the Corps of engineers and got a new job with a large firm based out of new jersey or new york. They just opened a office down here and offered her a HUGE chunk of change to work there. Her new job alone with double what we make together now so it will be a nice change for once. She graduates from GA TECH in ATL on the 8th of may. Thenwe are going to arlington national cemetary on that following tuesday for my grandfather in laws burial ceremony and my Purple Heart pinning ceremony.

Fighter is up for sale with the surefire weaponlight. CCO project is still underway after I get out to make sure I have a new job lined up. If I can start right into another job the gun buying phenom of 2010 is on like donkey kong. I want to build two nice pieces for myself. Pick up another SBR project and a long gun. I think I am going to stick to the .223/308/.45 setup in stead of all those crazy rounds I had before.

I am thinking I will be up around dahlonega sometime around the weekend of the 23rd I think it is. I would like to setup some training for that timeframeif anyone is interested. I am tring to resource some new target stands and shillouetes.

Anywhoo.. New pics of the fighter withnew grips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc00450-jpg   -dsc00449-jpg   -dsc00448-jpg   -dsc00447-jpg   -dsc00446-jpg  

yo what up peoples! Started the CCO project sunday. Slide to frame has been fit!
    "The 1911 is a collection of subsystems that must work together. Each part must be prepared and fit properly not only in and of itself, but also with regard to the other parts with which it must operate for the gun to function and appear as desired."

How is no school treating you? Must be nice to have all that free time. I just got back from my trip to DC and maryland. Done with the arlington burial ceremony, done with the DC trip and two interviews, done with all the BS. Got my debit card info and pin stolen in ATL over the last weekend. $1500 in damages so far. I did my own detective work and got the perps phone acct info and car info and some other goodies. Now its up to the popo to get it prosecuted and the bitch put in jail.

I start clearing on monday. Only two weeks left in the ARMY! Then its finda new job time. Take the shooting classes I have been wanting to go to for a while. Finish up my build list for my new gun projects. Clean up the garage for a repaint. Put flooring in the house, etc.. Now I have to get it all done in my three months of paid leave!

Pics hoo bag or it didnt happen on the CCO project!

Picked this up off of GON about a week ago. So far I am loving it, took it to the range and ran a couple hundred rounds through it without any problems. Ordering some VZ grips tomorrow and a few other small goodies to make it a little more pleasing!
    The Real E

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    yo what up peoples! Started the CCO project sunday. Slide to frame has been fit!
    Pics or lie!

crappy pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -05092010057-jpg   -05092010056-jpg   -05092010059-jpg  

Wow this place is dead. Anyone been doing anything? I am just waiting on funds to come in to replinish. I have the final list prepared !

Now just waiting on picking up the new boat and my new beater truck project over the next couple of weeks and then its putting the order in and heading to dahlonega to train!

Oh and possibly 45 days overseas in the sandbox!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    crappy pics
    Forgive my ignorance, I'm not very 1911 savvy (though I would like to learn), but what are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, I'm not very 1911 savvy (though I would like to learn), but what are you doing?
    Well if i ever get back around to do it. I am building a 1911 from the ground up. Every part is oversized, so hand fitting each and every part is required.

In those particular photos I was fitting the slide to frame. The slide comes too small and the frame rails too large. Filling them down to fit perfectly is the goal. The measurments are a visual representaion of how the parts fit together, and help me to figure out which side and which specific area needs to be filed. Once they start to slide together, lapping compound is used to get a ball bearing like fit.

This is just step 1 of a million

Things have been slow down here. Paying off bills, trying to pickup contract work overseas still, picking up my new boat tomorrow (i could buy lots of toys for this fucking boats cost), etc...

Anywho.. I look forward to the annual end of summer firearm and ammo dump. Oh and BTW>

SWAP AND SELL IS GOING TO BE COMING BACK ONLINE IN THE NEAR FUTURE>

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567