Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTN Girls

Default ATTN Girls

What do you carry? and why?

I'm in the market to purchase something and I want to see what everybody else was working with.
    RIP Kaleb Mashburn

Certified Gearhead

Coach some times I carry my luis!
    evo intercooler fs!

Quote Originally Posted by hondakid2
    Coach some times I carry my luis!
    RIP Kaleb Mashburn

Well I'm not a girl, but if you have small hands and want something to carry in your purse or something, the Ruger LCP's are pretty decent. Or you could get a 38 snub nose revolver.

hrmmm i'll have to take a look at those. thansk!
    RIP Kaleb Mashburn

Here's the LCP. I'd recommend it over something similar like a Kel-Tec even though they are a little more expensive.
    http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCP/

And as far as the revolvers go, Smith and Wesson Airweight J - Frames make great pocket guns, but they are a bit pricey.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...04&isFirearm=Y

If you want a cheaper revolver check out Taurus.

I have some words of wisdom that I tell everyone.

GO TO A rental range and rent a bunch of different ones. Its usually like 10-15 bucks to rent them for an hour and they will let you switch them out etc.. Find out what work frame, caliber, weight, etc works best for you and buy it that way. Do your research ahead of time so you know what you getting into as far as prices and the different platforms. Let us know how your range report goes and I am sure we can help you / give you feedback.

Oh my wife refuses to carry a gun so she carries me. I will rent my fees out for a small fee. J/K.

If your ever in the savannah area I teach pistol and carbine self defense courses on side and also defensive tactics/combatives/hand-to-hand combat.

Hope we can point you in the right direction.
    Only two men ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Defend your rights or lose them forever.

if you are in your avatar; you are superbad.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truegiant

GO TO A rental range and rent a bunch of different ones. Its usually like 10-15 bucks to rent them for an hour and they will let you switch them out etc.. Find out what work frame, caliber, weight, etc works best for you and buy it that way. Do your research ahead of time so you know what you getting into as far as prices and the different platforms. Let us know how your range report goes and I am sure we can help you / give you feedback.

Oh my wife refuses to carry a gun so she carries me. I will rent my fees out for a small fee. J/K.

If your ever in the savannah area I teach pistol and carbine self defense courses on side and also defensive tactics/combatives/hand-to-hand combat.

That is what my dad has been telling me to do except come down to his house and bring some ammo lol. I guess i will head down there and see what hes got to say... I'll bring back some targets... post em... and see what you guys have got to say. See - and I'm more of a rifle person so this is a bit of some new territory for me.
    RIP Kaleb Mashburn

Alli, manufacturer websites can help you narrow down what you will like. For example, decide on a couple major factors and then you can use the specs on websites to narrow down your possible purchases.

I would try and get a good idea you want out of size and caliber. Caliber will take some test shooting most likely to decide what you like. And size takes some thinking and planning a head on things like: where will you carry (hip, appendix, purse, under arm, and a variety of more creative places), and what the ultimate purpose of the weapon is ( carry, carry and training, training only, home defense, etc).

khar arms has some sexy little guns that they market towards chicks. They are also pricy, but worth a look. They may be money well spent for you.

Post up exactly what you want to do with the gun, and if you have a preference on where you want to carry it on your person. Its just important to remember there are trade offs with every decision you make in choosing a firearm, there is no 1 size fits all by any means.

summary:

Caliber: very subjective, mostly person preference (when choosing from 9mm, .40, and .45).

Size: dependent on body type, choice of attire, and preferred location of carry, and purpose of weapon.
    "The 1911 is a collection of subsystems that must work together. Each part must be prepared and fit properly not only in and of itself, but also with regard to the other parts with which it must operate for the gun to function and appear as desired."

Exactly. ^^

And just for some input to your question, my wife ended up going with a .357 revolver. I was glad she picked it.
    R34-GTT-RB26

You should carry thin in your purse

set the timer for 15 sec and....
    Jason..

my boyfriend wants to get me a remington home defense shot gun.. personally id rather have a pistol but i know shot guns are easier to shoot.
    Val For President
    R.I.P. Our Dear Leisa..

ASAP N.E. Chapter VP

No more supra
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

NIKON Squad member| NikonD40

kahr cw line of pistols are pretty reasonably priced.

Alli,

My wife carries a Taurus PT111 Pro. She liked the compact size, and wanted something in 9mm. It has a 12 round magazine. It wouldn't have been my choice, but it is not my carry gun. I do recommend you shoot before you buy.

Hi Ren!

You can't handle me. Red_Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlliRae
    What do you carry? and why?

I'm in the market to purchase something and I want to see what everybody else was working with.

I have a p6 sig sauer. Its dead on for accuracy and the grip is not huge so it sits nicely in smaller hands. It's an old German police gun and made completely out of metal. I'm not a fan of new stuff that is half plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Phoenix
    I have a p6 sig sauer. Its dead on for accuracy and the grip is not huge so it sits nicely in smaller hands. It's an old German police gun and made completely out of metal. I'm not a fan of new stuff that is half plastic.
    Don't get hung up on this type talk either, people.
    Not saying it's wrong but it's heavy. I know for a summer carry I like a lighter weapon.
    Allie, whatever fits your hand best and what you shoot best with is what you want. Try as many as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Phoenix
    polymer thank you

I Like Sharp Things

My sister carries a 9mm Walther P22, which is pink and carbon fiber btw, and its a nice little gun.
    I bought my mom a .22 Derringer 2 shot, tiny and with right ammo, it'll do whatever you need.
    I will buy my girlfriend a Sig P228, if she can handle it...lol.

9mm P22 huh. Check your source and get back with me.

p99 maybe?
    Only two men ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Defend your rights or lose them forever.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiLMRacer
    9mm Walther P22
    LOL

I Like Sharp Things

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.as...ems=exclusives

I only saw it it twice, and it was bought by her "friend", there is a link to the picture of it.
    I guess it is a .22 ...my bad, :shrug: .

I still vote for Sig compact though.

Dan has been trying to find me a Para Ordnance. They make a small one that we can never find...so that probably doesn't help

The best gun I ever shot was a modded Glock. It was light and had very little kick back. I'm not sure that it was small, per say, but it felt good to me.

I agree about the range part, you could come with us sometime if you want. My boys have tons of guns, so you won't even have to rent them. PM me if you are interested and I will call you next time we go.
    Last edited by Tracy; 07-02-2009 at 11:22 AM.
    Val for president!

Facebook.com/TracyATL

Quote Originally Posted by DaX
    Alli,

My wife carries a Taurus PT111 Pro. She liked the compact size, and wanted something in 9mm. It has a 12 round magazine. It wouldn't have been my choice, but it is not my carry gun. I do recommend you shoot before you buy.

Hi Ren!
    Hi.. I've heard of the Taurus.. another friend of mine has it and loves it!
    Val For President
    R.I.P. Our Dear Leisa..

ASAP N.E. Chapter VP

No more supra
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

NIKON Squad member| NikonD40

para warthog is the small one your prlly speaking of. neat little compact 1911.

Taurus pistols are great entry level tools that go bang when you squeeze the trigger.

well i ended up getting a glock 26 the 9mm. The one that was up for sale on here through Derrick. I know glocks are good guns and I wanted a 9mm. Since I'm living alone mostly and wanted something asap. But I am going to shoot it tomorrow I will post pics... no laughing though lol I haven't shot anything in about 3 years.
    RIP Kaleb Mashburn

well i ended up getting a glock 26 the 9mm. The one that was up for sale on here through Derrick. I know glocks are good guns and I wanted a 9mm. Since I'm living alone mostly and wanted something asap. But I am going to shoot it tomorrow I will post pics... no laughing though lol I haven't shot anything in about 3 years.
    I think you will like it. Ask sleepingtalon on here about mods for it.
    Val for president!

Facebook.com/TracyATL

So i went shooting today down at my parents house (they live in the middle of nowhere... it's nice... sometimes).

I wasn't sure what to expect. The recoil wasn't bad at all. Took a few shots to get used to though. Esp since I've only shot a pistol a very few times... a few years ago.

It's really not that bad, I enjoyed it. Shoots about 5-7 inches low and about 1-2 inches to the left. I have a picture of the last round that I shot. i'll post it up in the next few days when I can get a computer of my own.

I also got to shoot my dads glock compact 9mm. It's the m15 i think. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means. It was okay - less recoil... too big for carrying though even though it's a bit lighter.

We worked on a bit of technique and stance and it all seemed to help. He was also telling me about some mods that I could do. Tracy - I'll talk to sleepingtalon about what he says too. I love imput. haha
    RIP Kaleb Mashburn

Remember different ammo will create different shot groups and round placement. Shoot a bunch of different ammo and find the one that works best for you. A quick spring change and a little trigger work with a stance that works for you and you will be surprised how effective that little glock is going to be.

It's really not that bad, I enjoyed it. Shoots about 5-7 inches low and about 1-2 inches to the left. I have a picture of the last round that I shot. i'll post it up in the next few days when I can get a computer of my own.

chances are you are shooting down and to the left, not the gun. Pointing the finger at the gun is always last resort. Sounds like a typical right handed shooter, proper technique will fix it, poor technique will make it worse.
    "The 1911 is a collection of subsystems that must work together. Each part must be prepared and fit properly not only in and of itself, but also with regard to the other parts with which it must operate for the gun to function and appear as desired."

here is a neat little target to shoot at. its not always the case but usually solves 70% of peoples problems

Quote Originally Posted by Danny
    chances are you are shooting down and to the left, not the gun. Pointing the finger at the gun is always last resort. Sounds like a typical right handed shooter, proper technique will fix it, poor technique will make it worse.

yes i understand that. But when 2 other people - who are far better than me - shoot it with the same results, then I look at the gun. Not all guns are made the same, and since the sites are non adjustable they can just be a little bit off. It's really not a big deal and i can compensate for anything. Just merely pointing out the trend that I noticed when multiple people shot the gun.
    RIP Kaleb Mashburn

here is a neat little target to shoot at. its not always the case but usually solves 70% of peoples problems

interesting... i might have to try this. just to see... right now seems plausible.
    RIP Kaleb Mashburn

like i mentioned dont forget ammo can cause crazy shot placement.

true true.
    RIP Kaleb Mashburn

neat little article to read over when you get time.

http://www.greent.com/40Page/general/defammo.htm

Ha ha! Great illustration and totally true for me!
    Val for president!

Facebook.com/TracyATL

American Made Bitch all_american_gurl09's Avatar

unfortnally i dont have anything yet

I Only Date Guys With Boost!

from 7-8 yards
    RIP Kaleb Mashburn

Are these single shots, controlled pairs, or rapid fire shots? They look like single shots. Did you shoot from a rest or from standing up? To be honest from my experience it looks like you changed your sight picture 3 times and aniticipated your trigger squeeze/recoil 5 times. Atleast you hit the plate from that distance.

Keep practicing and be sure to change your targets very often. I recommend that to alot of the new people I teach to shoot. An over used target doesnt allow you to actually see whats going on with your groupings, etc..

GOod job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast