View Poll Results: Do you believe in a superior being(s) aka God(s)?

Voters
408. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

269 65.93%
  • No

99 24.26%
  • undecided

40 9.80%
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in God? Simple question

God bless you Geoff, thank you for being a faithful vessel, good stuff man

Dave

( . )( . ) inmymouth _Christian_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    evolution is base all on assumption, hypothesis, and theory, all of which are NOT facts. in order for the THEORY of evolution to work the universe started out with hydrogen molecules and perhaps a few helium atoms(how did these get here? ) in 1960 George Kerkut did a study and wrote a book entitled "the implications of evolution". in it he said the first two assumptions of evolution were: 1-spontanius generation must have occured. 2-spontanius generation must have occured only once. (spontanius generation: the idea that something non-living can produce something living. the entire basis of evolution) not once in the history of evolution no matter how many experiments were conducted could this be done. all attempts failed misserably. therefore evolutionist "assume" that it happened. so there goes assumption 1. assumption 2...evolution cannot happen without spontaneous generation only happening once because all life is composed of a singular genetic code that has only minor variations between all life and because the code is so extremely complicated evolutionists are forced to concede that it could only happen once. so this is called a "one time event". which cannot be studied using the scientific method because science uses the 5 senses to study things that are universal, dependable, and reproductible. but one time events are neither dependable nor universal and by definition cant be reproduced. and so this once time event of spontaneous generation are not capable of expiramental verification.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong!! Spontaneous generation, a.k.a. abiogenesis, has nothing to evolution. Evolution does not account for the original formation of life, but is the explanation for the diversity of life. Spontaneous generation is not an assumption, if it did not happen we wouldn't be here. The contrasting views are as to whether or not life formed by natural or supernatural means. Have you ever done any research on the Miller Urey experiment?

a well known australian molecular biologist and evolutionist Dr. Michael Denton wrote a book in 1985 entitled "evolution: a theory in crisis"
    ZOMG! A theory in crisis! Only 99.8% of scientists accept evolution!!

in the book he admits that no one has ever documented any evidence for the supposed evolutionary "chain of life" leading from one type of creature to another. He wrote, " the concept of the continuity of nature has existed in the mind of man, never in the facts of nature." (p.353) then 13 years later in 1998 he stated, " Whether one accepts or rejects the design hypothesis...there is no avoiding the conclusion that the world looks as if it had been tailored for life; it appears to have been designed. All reality appears to be a vast, coherent, teleological whole with life and mankind as its purpose and goal."
    Are you kidding me? The fossil record is full of transitional forms.

nothing new? my point was to show that the accepted theories these days all have faults, holes, not complete, ect. not everything we believe to be true in this life can be seen or heard or what not. not everything we believe to be true is tangible or has physical evidence.
    Exactly. People have faith in all sorts of superstitions and accept them as truth in the absence of evidence. Good thing science requires empirical evidence.

i can not give you physical proof of God. i can tell you to look around you and use common sense. you see how delicately precise everything is from the tree that takes in Co2 and produces O2 so you can breathe to how every creature has a purpose. i can ask you if there can be a painting without a painter or a house without a builder. the evidence and lack of evidence points to something higher than us that we may never be able to fully understand.
    I think it's demeaning to the beauty of nature by suggesting that some magical sky god poofed it into existence.

No there can't be a painting without a painter or house without a builder. People don't recognize paintings or houses to be designed because of how complex they are or because of some perceived purpose, people recognize these things to be designed because they already know houses and paintings are designed. There are millions of examples of this. Plants and animals occur naturally, houses and paintings don't. If you followed your premise to it's logical conclusion that everything is designed, then what would make your example of design any more convincing than a grain of sand? No feature would denote design over any other since they are all designed.

eternity in hell is the second death. Jesus already paid my toll, He paid for my sins when He made Himself a perfect sacrifice and took our sins upon Him.

Bohdi im praying for you man. the truth is that we CAN always argue about it. i have STUDIED the bible, Christianitys origin, prophecy, philosophy, sociology, and all sorts of different theories out there. i cant say the same for you. you find it ridiculous to believe in a higher being yet find it plausable that the universe and everything else began from nothing because of nothing and is sustained by nothing. am i getting that right? have you ever had something go wrong in your life? if your human im sure you have. some how you came out of all that. let me ask you this, do you know or believe that you will wake up tomorrow, that you will have a job and home, that your family will be healthy....?
    riding for God crew member #1

IA Domestic Alliance

show me tangible proof of spontaneous generation, that if it never happened we would not exist. so thats it then we all happened from spontaneous generation, the endless question of how did we get here has been answered right? or is it another theory?

evolution is in crisis my friend, i dont know where your getting your numbers from. yes i do believe in design. everything has a design, i can elaborate on this more if you like. but i would like to know what your thoughts on origin and everything is...

IA Domestic Alliance

( . )( . ) inmymouth _Christian_'s Avatar

show me tangible proof of spontaneous generation, that if it never happened we would not exist. so thats it then we all happened from spontaneous generation, the endless question of how did we get here has been answered right? or is it another theory?

evolution is in crisis my friend, i dont know where your getting your numbers from. yes i do believe in design. everything has a design, i can elaborate on this more if you like. but i would like to know what your thoughts on origin and everything is...
    Did god not spontaneously generate Adam?

"Spontaneous generation", as used in the context of the previously quoted text, is really abiogenesis because it is a SINGLE event of life formation and not systematic. I don't want to get hung up on semantics, but that probably needs to be addressed as I myself used it interchangeably in my above reply.

In the beginning, there was no life on earth. At some point life formed. If life had not formed, we would not be here. Abiogenesis only accounts for the very first life form...so no, it's not the be all end all answer to our existence. It is a theory, in that it's the best scientific explanation for the event. The event, formation of life, is fact. Just as germs, gravity and evolution are facts with the theories being the explanations.
    Last edited by _Christian_; 12-29-2009 at 12:16 AM.

Bohdi im praying for you man... have you ever had something go wrong in your life? if your human im sure you have. some how you came out of all that. let me ask you this, do you know or believe that you will wake up tomorrow, that you will have a job and home, that your family will be healthy....?

I have had tons of things go wrong in my life, geo. I have been, emotionally & physically tested. I won't type down all of my problems like some emo high schooler that will get acknowledged and be given sympathy, but yeah man, I have been through some shit.
    You have your belief to help you through your life--and that's good.
    I on the other hand do not, and am fine with that. I am not seeking "God's" acceptance nor do I want it.

Yes, I believe that I will wake up tomorrow because I am healthy, and because I also know that there is no asteroid heading our way at this very moment (I would hope nasa would give us a warning lol yea right, like they'd tell us)--so, we're safe... for now. And yes, I believe that I will have my job tomorrow because the business is doing fantastic atm, and there's no way that I would be let go.
    And finally, yes, I do believe that my family will be healthy tomorrow--how? Simple. Because they're all perfectly fine - I was with some of 'em this afternoon.

I mean, honestly, why would I think otherwise?
    If something godly were to happen tomorrow I wouldn't think that the lord and savior or some god hero had anything to do with it.
    Shit, I'd probably think that aliens or our government were behind whatever event was taking place.
    top 5

"get with the Gs, or get on yo knees"

christian- your theory of abiogenesis is on the same level of mine as God being the creator. my idea of it is that God was the cause, yours is different.

to bohdi- you believe all these things just as strongly as my belief in God. the point is that you do not know for a fact if your world is rock solid right now. God forbid anything bad happen but you know it just as well as i do that anything is possible.

IA Domestic Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by BABY J View Post
    Here is where you lose me. Define SACRIFICE. Just off the top of my head I'd say it is something you GIVE UP in exchange for something else. LOL. Did he not RISE on the 3rd day?? So where is the sacrifice?? God must be an Indian giver - LOL. Maybe he realized that we aren't worth a shit anyway and His dad said "fuck it Jr... come on back to the house and let them figure it out on their own. LOL. Come on back to the fort" - LOL.

Seems to me that the entire basis of Christianity is that Christ "died for your sins"... but the punishment for sin isn't death, it's eternity in hell.

If eternity in hell is the cost of sin, who's in hell paying your toll? How can Christ be paying the price for your sins if he's up in heaven sitting by the pool drinking margaritas? What a mind fuck you guys are living.

Christ is the shit.
    This
    "I'm not a gynecologist... but I'll take a look."

the story in the bible goes like this. Christ suffered the cross and died for our sins. We as sinners were saved because He drank a cup that took on all of our sins, pain,sickness, and death. when He died He sacrificed His perfect life for non perfect people. in the old testament the people would bring sacrifices of animals once a year to the high priest who would then shed its blood on an alter and pray for that families sins. God would accept the sacrifice and then push back their sins for a year. people could not live up to the LAW so God gave us an easier way out. He came as Jesus and lived a sinless life. He was our high priest and provided His own body as the sacrifice. when He was in the grave for those two days He preached to the ones who died before Him in Sheoll( waiting place ) and took the keys to death and hell so only HE could judge. HE rose agian on the third day because the grave couldnt hold Him. He then went to heaven to prepare a place for His people and to come again to judge the world.

this video explains who and what my God is.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6wL1IvMuWo

IA Domestic Alliance

the story in the bible goes like this. Christ suffered the cross and died for our sins. We as sinners were saved because He drank a cup that took on all of our sins, pain,sickness, and death. when He died He sacrificed His perfect life for non perfect people. in the old testament the people would bring sacrifices of animals once a year to the high priest who would then shed its blood on an alter and pray for that families sins. God would accept the sacrifice and then push back their sins for a year. people could not live up to the LAW so God gave us an easier way out. He came as Jesus and lived a sinless life. He was our high priest and provided His own body as the sacrifice. when He was in the grave for those two days He preached to the ones who died before Him in Sheoll( waiting place ) and took the keys to death and hell so only HE could judge. HE rose agian on the third day because the grave couldnt hold Him. He then went to heaven to prepare a place for His people and to come again to judge the world.

this video explains who and what my God is.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6wL1IvMuWo
    Did Jesus kill a child when he was younger??

no, there are stories written to provide a glimpse into the life of Jesus as a child. these, unlike the bible, were not inspired by the Holy Spirit. they were men of the time trying to fill in the holes

IA Domestic Alliance

^^ How can you quantify that any stories have weight over others? There are stories included in the bible by authors where some of their writings were removed. Who decides what went in and what missed the cut? And also WHY.

IA Domestic Alliance

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BABY J View Post
    Who decides what went in and what missed the cut? And also WHY.
    Mel Gibson. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

mel gibson?

IA Domestic Alliance

LOL

The Romans decided on the shithole book of the bible, and what went in it, better yet what did not go into it. What happened to these stories? Have you heard anything of these lost gospels? They are as real as the ones that are in the book, and even more retarded. It's like a big book of Aesop's Fables, why did some make the cut and others not? Because MEN willed it so. If I write in red highliter and call it the word of god, who can prove me wrong?
    My line of work
    www.internationaljets.com

first of all, the bible was constantly put together over a long period of time. the romans provided the first canonized version of it. what do you think the christians and jews read from in the church before it? if you read any of these other books you will see that it is more set up like mythology than scripture. also, none of the other books could be proved or were accepted as being written by the people that it claimed.

IA Domestic Alliance

None of the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John were written by them either, but long after they existed. This IS a concrete fact.
    My line of work

really? where did you get this concrete fact?

IA Domestic Alliance

I have watched many, many documents about the entire bible on National Geographic, maybe the BBC. Look it up, its a good watch, especially when you are as much as a bible beater as you are.
    My line of work

national geographic? bbc? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! i bet you believed that whole deal about global warming too didnt you lol

IA Domestic Alliance

You are quite closed minded my friend, half of the people who were talking were very high up the religion chain, far above your pee brained pastor in the scheme of things. Why do you think they referenced them anyways? I don't care to try to make you think the same way as me like you would like to do and brainwash me, but I would think you would like it. You might learn something, but maybe not since you know ALL history from all biblical times.
    My line of work

national geographic? bbc? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! i bet you believed that whole deal about global warming too didnt you lol
    I bet you believe there was never an ice age either. You just take what you want and not what's really out there.

Remember, you're doing this cause you obviously failed in science.

mel gibson?
    He is the Christian God.
    Last edited by EJ25RUN; 01-04-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-loS109 View Post
    yes i believe in a god/superior being but i dont believe on religions and what they stand for.

Yes I do.

Certified Gearhead

I think it's kinda hard not to.

There are so many intricate things about the world we live in and the things in it (along with the universe as well) that I think they had to be created by someone.

hey sammy i see your kinda on the same page as i used to be on. if you have any questions about christianity or about Jesus then i would love to help. pm me any time you wish. God bless you

IA Domestic Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by thesammy View Post
    I think it's kinda hard not to.

There are so many intricate things about the world we live in and the things in it (along with the universe as well) that I think they had to be created by someone.

Finally, someone who has thought about life. i thought i was the only one. everynight i lay in bed with my pitbull and i just thank God for this beautiful world and for a beautiful mom who came from another country to find a better life. She probably isn't living the life she wanted but she is living the life she can have. When you think about life, everything just fits in place and goes together. And i thank "HIM" for that.
    Have you heard of the guy who rolls and pulls fenders in Atlanta? YEAH, I'M THAT GUY! Hit me up! https://www.facebook.com/VipFenderRolling

^^

Saying that we had to have been created based on the stupifying statistical chance that we evolved the way we did is a simple logical fallacy. You can't look at a chain of events, after that chain of events has occurred, and determine whether or not it was possible based on the statistical probability of repeating it.

As an example, let's say you roll a set of dice 10 times. Your result is 10,2,5,6,6,4,9,11,2,8. You don't question the probability that you just randomly rolled that sequence...because you DID. The only thing you can do is calculate the probability of recreating the result....which, is pretty much statistically impossible.

Logic would dictate that we evolved the way we did because of our environmental conditions, those conditions weren't necessarily created specifically for us to evolve in a specific manner. Who's to say if the earth were 10* colder, we wouldn't simply have evolved with a lower required body temperature?

Use your head "God" (lol) put it up there for a reason.

^^ you have no idea how many times I've tried explaining that reasoning to people. So many people just don't get it or maybe don't want to.

adaptation is what your describing baby j. the odds of the world and every creature being the way they are with intracate systems is like a 1:10000000000000000000 chance. the odds of God creating everything the way it is 1:2 hmmmmmmmmmmm and we as believers have no logic?

IA Domestic Alliance

That statement proves that you don't know what the fuck I just said - LOL.

make some sense bro lol.

IA Domestic Alliance

^^^making sense to you would be some strange sick twist of my logic. To tell someone that thinks differently that their logic is wrong based upon a book you read with no outside proof would be nuts right...just like scientologists. Now they are nuts, but at least they don't kill people.
    My line of work

It said I already voted, but just in case you didnt get my tally, I'm on the non-believers side.
    Trend settin'

adaptation is what your describing baby j. the odds of the world and every creature being the way they are with intracate systems is like a 1:10000000000000000000 chance. the odds of God creating everything the way it is 1:2 hmmmmmmmmmmm and we as believers have no logic?
    Who are you to determine what the odds are? A bookie of life? And it's funny how you put your FAITH into a better odds on situation there. What are the odds that God doesn't even exist? You won't answer that realistically because your FAITH won't let you. Not because you don't really know. Later, QD.

the odds that my God dont exist is 1:2, either He does or He doesnt. my faith leads me to believe that He does exist. what are the odds that everything we see here is chance? i believe its alot more

IA Domestic Alliance

the odds that my God dont exist is 1:2, either He does or He doesnt. my faith leads me to believe that He does exist. what are the odds that everything we see here is chance? i believe its alot more
    With your logic, i guess there is a 1:2 chance i am your god.

Either i am, or I'm not.

Good logic.

what are the odds that everything we see here is chance? i believe its alot more
    Key word in bold. As usual, nothing factual or substantial. And in that case, since there is no final proof that God did this or that it just happened another way...

...the odds are pretty much even. Not greater for God or greater for natural. Later, QD.