Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

80 89.89%
  • NO

9 10.11%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Marijuana decriminalization bill gaining support in Congress

Sooner or later the conservative crowd down here in Bible belt is going to have to get with the times.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrivenMind

And could you also explain to me, where in the medical industry they require patients to ingest alcohol.
    Alcohol is administered in cases of antifreeze poisoning. It is also one of the main ingredients in over the counter cough remedies. And its been proven in many studies that red wine is good for people with heart disease.

But all that is beside the main point

I've never heard of the anti-freeze poisoning thing, but that's pretty interesting point.

As for OTC cought remedies, also is used in tiny quantities as a solvent, not as a central nervous system depressant as it is socially, or when it's used recreationally as.

Yes red wine can be cardioprotective, but the evidence supporting that is limited, and circumstantially dependent upon the amount consumed. Someone who drinks too much red wine puts themselves at risk for heart disease just like any other heavy drinker.

Although I'm sure the medical community will agree that there are lots of other naturally occurring more effective cardioprotective substances that could be consumed in it's place.

Official Gator Hater Lucky DAWG's Avatar

Sooner or later the conservative crowd down here in Bible belt is going to have to get with the times.

I agree.

I love the tradition and roots here in the south. I love saturday morning's in the fall, i love the focus on the outdoors down here and the way the people dress and carry themselves.

But there is a new breed of business people i feel like coming up in the younger crowds down here who are combining the best of both worlds who have a grip on their roots while embracing some new ideals to be more succesful.

I don't want to drop what makes us "the south", but somethings have to be embraced to be a economic power. Which we are on the verge of, all the opportunities in this country are pointing south as the rest of the country as over stretched itself.
    2005 Ford F-150 FX4 Supercrew

Quote Originally Posted by Ran
    1) The12lber makes me laugh for his wannabe tough-guy responses. I won't even justify him with a response anymore.
    All I heard was "Waa, waa, I'm dumb and I'm wrong, waa." Just because I insulted your intelligence and refuted your (correctly, lack there of) "argument", you don't want to play anymore.

Not only is drug prohibition
    1)Ineffective at preventing the production, distribution, sale and use of illegal drugs
    2)Responsible for allowing numerous guerilla groups/terrorist organizations in Afghanistan and Latin America to accrue the financial capital they need to operate.
    3)Creating the main market that most organized crime in this country taps into.

Its also a violation of the United States Constitution in letter and spirit. I challenge you to refute any of these facts. Not just some good old fashioned biblically styled "logic", actual facts. Until then, you'll still be a moronic cry baby with some hackneyed morals, the underpinnings of which are unknown to you.
    Last edited by The12lber; 08-17-2008 at 03:23 AM.

Yea, the war on drugs has been a joke since the foul criminal Nixon introduced it in 1971.

In all fairness, overall, Nixon was in actuallity probably the best postwar (you know, the big one) President of 20th century.

Did you just say that? It's not a freedom if you can get arrested for doing it. How can you abuse a freedom, that isn't a actually freedom? It's legality should be questioned because it ISN'T a freedom.
    Yeah, that's the whole deal with America. We have freedoms here, not privileges. You don't ban things simply because something is considered immoral by a select few, but it can't logically be explained why. You don't ban things because said things in question might be dangerous to them Smoking is literally sentencing yourself to premature death, I don't see a ban on tobacco. People are given the responsibility to make their own choices here. If people don't feel comfortable for this, they should look up Authoritarianism/Totalitarianism on Wikipedia and move accordingly. China and North Korea, especially, would be lovely choices

A short list of things that would have to be banned if we followed this rule (banning things that are potentially unsafe to the participant or considered immoral by some) in all cases
    -Bicycles
    -Motorcycles
    -Cars
    -Planes
    -Swimming (you could drown)
    -Pleasurecraft (your boat could sink, see above)
    -Christianity
    -Islam
    -Jeudaism
    -Pre-marital sex
    -Homosexuality
    -Buttsecks
    -Fellatio
    -****, everything but missionary
    -Unprotected sex
    -Standing up
    -Fishing
    -Hunting
    -Eating meat (meat is murder, PETA told me so)
    -Lying down
    Last edited by The12lber; 08-17-2008 at 03:47 AM.

used my vote.

When it's all said and done, no one that's against marijuana law reform can produce an argument that can rival those who support it. Give it up guys. Opposition to it is fueled by ignorance and tradition that's been beaten in by Jesus freaks and health class for years.

You guys who taken such a strong stand against it, may not like it, and I respect your dedication to your cause. But this is one of those things that can't really be argued anymore, without bringing in irrational logic. We have a standard for evaluating the criteria of a drugs usefulness, and potential danger. Cannabis has not been accurately evaluated, without irrational prejudice since the 30s.

Cannabis is more harmless than an overwhelming majority of the totally legal psychoactive substances we use or a regular basis, and because it's not difficult to produce, and has other potentially useful characteristics, it will be made legal. Sooner or later. Whether you like it or not.

If we are fortunate it will happen while we are still young, and can reap the economic and legal rewards in our lifetime. If not... the least we can do is plant the seed of this idea, and help our piers understand.

We are not fiends. Someone of us might be "stoners", as you like to condescendingly attempt to phrase it. But if you have any common sense, you'll quickly see that what we support is far less dangerous than things that have already been made legal.

If they make it legal in my lifetime, I will be giving up alcohol entirely.

You guys who taken such a strong stand against it, may not like it, and I respect your dedication to your cause. But this is one of those things that can't really be argued anymore, without bringing in irrational logic. We have a standard for evaluating the criteria of a drugs usefulness, and potential danger. Cannabis has not been accurately evaluated, without irrational prejudice since the 30s.

Cannabis is more harmless than an overwhelming majority of the totally legal psychoactive substances we use or a regular basis, and because it's not difficult to produce, and has other potentially useful characteristics, it will be made legal. Sooner or later. Whether you like it or not.

If we are fortunate it will happen while we are still young, and can reap the economic and legal rewards in our lifetime. If not... the least we can do is plant the seed of this idea, and help our piers understand.

We are not fiends. Someone of us might be "stoners", as you like to condescendingly attempt to phrase it. But if you have any common sense, you'll quickly see that what we support is far less dangerous than things that have already been made legal.

If they make it legal in my lifetime, I will be giving up alcohol entirely.
    When that time comes, i will be at your front door with a hookah.
    :idb:

^hit me up...i gets the goodness

^ sorry p.o for another 3 years. Been clean for 2 years and i'm not thinking bout going back. But when it gets legalized expect a phone call every week from me .
    :idb:

SoooperDooooperLS

F ALL THIS READING SOMEONE PASS THE L!

beer for breakfast. True Pyroman's Avatar

all I say is when are we gonna be able to buy a pack of camel greens.
    Everything is better when it's on fire.

2006 Civic Si
    2005 Kawasaki ZZR600

THKS FOR THE COMMENTS

IA Member

legalize it...!!

and ban sigs and guns... people will be more mellow and less crime.
    And if they tax it might help the US.
    Look at the Netherlands, low crime rate and no problems becouse of the green.
    あんそにーぶかふぇるの

I don't understand the argument for keeping it illegal either. Weed is California's Leading cash crop.... responsible for $14 billion in sales a year, and its fucking illegal except for medicinal purposes. If California's senate passes the marijuana legalization bill, California will make $50 for every ounce sold. This would bring in an estimated $1.3 billion in taxes off of weed, which would go to help rescue California's ailing economy.

That is $1.3 billion for only 1 state. If the federal government legalized and taxed Marijuana they would makes billions upon billions of dollars off of the taxes, and not to mention save billions by not putting non-violent drug offenders in jail that we all pay taxes on, making drug seizures and paying billions in the "war on drugs" on the home front.

That is only the argument on the economics side, there are many different reasons why it should be legal. Alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana because it impairs your frontal lobe more significantly, which is the "reasoning" part of the brain and therefore leads to worse decision making when impaired.

*Thread Resurrection Complete*

Slave to the Grind

Check out what Rhode Island just did, heres the link http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_n...s_20090616_mds

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy
    No such thing as a non-violent drug offender. Marijuana isnt enarly as bad as harder drugs, but it does lead to crimes.

Yeah crimes against a box of twinkies maybe.

LizBiz eats Carpet! bdydrpdmazda's Avatar

I believe that if it doesnt affect the government or other people then the government shouldnt have a say so in it. If i want to smoke a blunt then i should be able to smoke a blunt. If a crack head wants to smoke crack then thats his right as long as he isnt exposing it to others that want nothing to do with it. If it isnt gonna effect anybody else then it should be your decision to do what you want but the democrats are slowly taking away all the freedom that this great country was founded upon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234