Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: God vs. Science

I believe in the ole mighty dollar, no god or gods can compete with that
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by CobraClone
    Who said the earth was only 2000 years old? 7000? 10000?

The earth can be much much older than that. In the bible it states that there where people who lived for 900+ years, if you add up some of those people you would have over 10000 years alone before you even get out of genesis.

Besides that most people beleive that Gods time is different than our time. So, we can't really say how long that 7 day period was. We also don't know how long Adam and Eve were in the garden of eden before they were cast out. This leaves so much time unaccounted for that we could not even begin to speculate how old the world is according to the bible.
    Yes, most may believe that. But the Christian faith is based solely on speculation. You seem to know what you're talking about, yes, but even an educated Christian such as yourself has to admit that Christianity leaves too many holes in its explanations, too much is left out. What exactly was going on while Adam and Eve were in the garden-what happened in between then and the present time that can account for the world's massive population? Did millions of people just appear? It just doesn't make sense. I'm not too well versed in the Bible but I do have the understanding that it does leave a lot to be desired. I just think that organized religion isn't an accurate way to explain creation, there are too many religions out there claiming to be true. What's your take on Pagan religions? Were they just wrong? I mean yes Christianity is obviously the most popular choice but it doesn't hold any more water in its explanations than any other religious theory. I'm not some atheist jackass that's constantly screaming "SCIENCE SCIENCE SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!" as I believe science is inherently flawed, anything created by man is inherently flawed in that it's our creation. The only explanation available for why we're here and how the world works will come directly from the source.

Get your answers here. CobraClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by type_r
    as I believe science is inherently flawed, anything created by man is inherently flawed in that it's our creation. The only explanation available for why we're here and how the world works will come directly from the source.

This final statement of yours is exactly right and pretty much sums it all up.

This is why you should not take anyones word for it. Just because someone says it is true doesn't mean you should beleive it.

The bible even states this. Because we are not perfect and noone has complete knowledge of anything. (I have not quoted any scripture till now because I know to someone who does not beleive in it, it will have no meaning. But for this I want to give an example.)

It states in The Epistle of James chapter 1 verse 5-6 :

5 - If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    6 - But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave on the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

So, I agree with you 100%. We all lack wisdom. The only way we will receive an answer to these questions is straight from the source, God.

This is why you should not take anyones word for it. Just because someone says it is true doesn't mean you should beleive it.

The bible even states this. Because we are not perfect and noone has complete knowledge of anything. (I have not quoted any scripture till now because I know to someone who does not beleive in it, it will have no meaning. But for this I want to give an example.)

5 - If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    6 - But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave on the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

So, I agree with you 100%. We all lack wisdom. The only way we will receive an answer to these questions is straight from the source, God.
    so when was the last time God talked to you? and what did he say?
    and
    Can you ask him for the winning lottery numbers for the Friday drawing
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons

IA Member

So then are you saying that you define the Bible as more of guidelines than a concrete explanation? I would understand that view a lot more in regards to religion. The one major issue I have with Christians(and all religions in this case) is that they view their books as truth, when in reality they were all written by man and thus are a flawed means of explanation. I do understand using religious books as more of a means of suggestion, not definition. I dont believe in defining a single sect as right as all religions are created by people, meaning they will all have their different explanations of what is essentially the same goal-to find God. The possibilites are so vast it just doesn't make sense to me to pick and choose what explanation you think is right. Despite this I guess we have common grounds in that final truth that none of us can explain anything except through FAITH. Reps for good discussion.

So then are you saying that you define the Bible as more of guidelines than a concrete explanation? I would understand that view a lot more in regards to religion. The one major issue I have with Christians(and all religions in this case) is that they view their books as truth, when in reality they were all written by man and thus are a flawed means of explanation. I do understand using religious books as more of a means of suggestion, not definition. I dont believe in defining a single sect as right as all religions are created by people, meaning they will all have their different explanations of what is essentially the same goal-to find God. The possibilites are so vast it just doesn't make sense to me to pick and choose what explanation you think is right. Despite this I guess we have common grounds in that final truth that none of us can explain anything except through FAITH. Reps for good discussion.

This is hard to explain. I beleive the bible to be the word of God as long as it is traslated correctly. We know that there are many errors in the bibles translation, but I beleive the most part of it is true. I think everyone can agree that it is sometimes difficult to see the line where they stop speaking about events in their lives and start speaking about visions they have had, or giving examples in parables. These visions are almost always symbolic for events to come.

I beleive there is one true gospel, and that all other religions stem from this. I beleive this is the reason that all religions have things in common. They all have form of godliness, but deny the power thereof. In other words, they have parts of the truth, but don't have all of it.

For those who beleive the bible, there were prophets called of God, who lead the beleivers in Christ according to His will. When Jesus walked the earth he was this prophet, and he called apostles to follow him and taught them the things they needed and gave them the authority to act in his name and do His Fathers work.

I beleive the true gospel is on the earth today. This religions leader, the head of the church, is Jesus Christ and He has called prophets and apostles and given them authority to act in his name on this earth. To act in the name of Christ you need authority given you from Him or those he has given authority to do so. This is not done by going to school or just learning the gospel.

Again, if you do not beleive the bible you have to truely seek the truth for yourself.

If you do beleive the bible, you must beleive this is the organization of Jesus Christs church. If you do not, you cannot say you beleive the bible.

To TIGERJC: God speaks to us through the Holy Ghost. It will most likely not be physical words that we hear, but feelings and emotions. The Holy Ghost speaks to us all the time, if we just listen. It's just alot of other things are expained, "use it or lose it." If you never listen, it will take time for you to recognize these times and understand.

Type r, I would give reps to you as well, but I don't know how. Let me know, and I will. Very good discussion.

IA Member

Ok. I understand what you're getting at but I still dont believe it lol. Of course it's nothing personal, thank you for not getting offended and throwing the fire and brimstone routine at me like many Christians have. I like starting these debates at school because sadly your religion is full of many angry, ignorant people. And btw go to a post and click on the justice scale looking thing in the top right corner to rep the person.

To be clear on christianity being around since the beginning, and I know this is speculation to you, but humor me and think about it.

God created the world knowing before hand that he would sacrifice His Son.
    This is where sacrifice originated. It was always symbolic of the sacrifice of Christ.
    Everything in this world is symbolic. People say we made these stories up from the way the universe functions. Ex. Astronomy, seasons, the rise and fall of the sun in the sky, etc. In reality if you reverse the roles you see that all of those things symbolize the ultimate sacrifice for this world, the life, death, and resurection of Jesus Christ.
    you ever think the bible might be based of those symbolisms and not the other way around? the bible if not mistaken was written by a few politico's and roman....
    Its just a bodykit

This thread is awesome LOL!

-Maniac

Ok. I understand what you're getting at but I still dont believe it lol. Of course it's nothing personal, thank you for not getting offended and throwing the fire and brimstone routine at me like many Christians have. I like starting these debates at school because sadly your religion is full of many angry, ignorant people. And btw go to a post and click on the justice scale looking thing in the top right corner to rep the person.

It cool, it's been a good discussion. I don't get offended or take anything personally. Everyone is intitled to there own beleifs. The things I have spoken of are my beleifs for my own personal reasons. Like I said before, I would never expect, or advise, anyone to belive anything, just because someone told them it is true.

You are right, far too many people do just that, get angry about it. I don't want to call them ignorant, but it is usually because they can't prove it and it makes them mad that people are right when they tell them so. I can't get mad about it because I beleive it with all my heart. I have proof enough for me and I can't, nor will I, force what I beleive on anyone else. I am more than happy to share my beleifs, but never with force or anger.

PS. Yours does not have a justice scale in the corner. Everyone elses seems to, but yours does not. What's up with that?

Certified Gearhead

I missed this thread somehow. I usually but in a give my 2cents on the god thing.

anyways, god is no more or less real then santa clause, the easter bunny, or tooth fairy. They all have books saying they are real.

the bible is just a book. it doesn't mean its are fact and there is a god just bc so many ppl seen the same thing and wrote about it yet never meet each other blah blah blah

there are millions of hill billy red necks that call UFO hotlines every year to say they seen a UFO.. u gonna believe them? its a millions of different ppl saying the same thing that dont know each other.

Quote Originally Posted by soul
    you ever think the bible might be based of those symbolisms and not the other way around? the bible if not mistaken was written by a few politico's and roman....

That's the point that was already made in the video at the beginning of this thread. I was doing what you are trying to do and think of the roles being reversed. The works included in the bible were written by Jews. That is why the original texts were in hebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by ARH1192
    I missed this thread somehow. I usually but in a give my 2cents on the god thing.

anyways, god is no more or less real then santa clause, the easter bunny, or tooth fairy. They all have books saying they are real.

the bible is just a book. it doesn't mean its are fact and there is a god just bc so many ppl seen the same thing and wrote about it yet never meet each other blah blah blah

there are millions of hill billy red necks that call UFO hotlines every year to say they seen a UFO.. u gonna believe them? its a millions of different ppl saying the same thing that dont know each other.
    As stated before, everyone is entitled to there own beleifs. It's is up to each of us to find out for ourselves.

PS. You are correct many people see UFO's. They really do see them, because they are real.
    U - Unidentified
    F - Flying
    O - Object

Anytime someone cannot identify something flying, it is a UFO. Doesn't mean it is an alien ship from space. Just means they don't know what it is.

Heres a good video on religion.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8RV46fsmx6E

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516