Thread: Getting this old Jaguar back on the road

Certified Gearhead

Default Getting this old Jaguar back on the road

So a week ago or so, I traded my 54 Chevy pickup project for this 83 Jaguar XJ6 project. It ran and drove, but needed fuel tank work since the p/o said they leaked a little, and brake work since he said the brakes were a little spongy, but at least they'd stop the car while putting around the block.

Anyways, I figure the first thing I'd do is tear apart the fuel system so I could at least restore that section. Wouldn't want tanks dripping fuel on hot exhaust pipes when I'm letting it run to show friends, or having to move it around in the driveway or something. I started to work on removing the passenger side tank. It wasn't too bad getting it out. Just removing a bunch of screws and bolts to get the side of the bumper off and the lower rear 1/4 valance. Then undoing 4 bolts holding the tank to the body and cutting a few old fuel lines and voila...it's out!

I checked the innards and it looked fairly clean considering the horror stories I've heard about Jag tanks. I took some pics of the inside, apparently it had been resealed at one point, but the stuff wasn't adhered to the tank anymore really, it just lifts away. There is some surface rust inside. While I could probably have a radiator shop dip and reseal it, I think it'd be worth MUCH more piece of mind to just buy new gas tanks. Plus, with new tanks and documentation, it'd make it much easier to sell later if I decided to.

I checked out the hoses in the rear spare tire area to see about the filter and pump and all that, and it appears the guy who installed the 305 v8 actually just made his own fuel line setup. No electric pump, no filter, just ran some hoses and hardware store connector tees in place and ran it to the fuel line that ran into the engine bay. He didn't even have the passenger side tank hooked up, which is the one I tore out. Either way, 2 new tanks are going in and will just connect the two tanks together and have 1 feed line coming out so the tanks will equalize themselves. A few of the guys on the Jaguar forums recommended that instead of buying a fuel tank selector valve like it came from the factory. Running the mechanical pump on the engine and a filter just before it really cleans up the spare tire well. I could probably fit at least 1 more dead hooker in there....and if you've ever seen the trunk or an old Jaguar, you know what I'm talking about.

I'll post more pics as I get the new fuel tank in and the passenger side buttoned back up before I tear into the driver side. After that, a large portion of the troubles on old Jaguars will be fixed good as new.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

The other guy won.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Senior Member | IA Veteran Catnip's Avatar

Nice!

Any plans besides getting it driving?
    '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel | '96 240sx