Thread: registering a old car

Default registering a old car

im looking at a 78 camaro and ive looked for info on getting a tag without a title.

well what i found it says u can for 1963 and older and you need one for 1986 and newer.

well what do you do for the inbetween,its like there is a grey area for it.

just thought id see if any of yall had delt with this.

thanks for any answers.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

If the car has been registered in GA, then you just need insurance and a bill of sale.
    If the car has NOT been registered in GA, then you a police officer has to come to the car and run a background check on the VIN. If it comes up good, he'll sign off on it and you take that form, the bill of sale and the proof of insurance to the tag office and you're good to go. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    If the car has been registered in GA, then you just need insurance and a bill of sale.
    If the car has NOT been registered in GA, then you a police officer has to come to the car and run a background check on the VIN. If it comes up good, he'll sign off on it and you take that form, the bill of sale and the proof of insurance to the tag office and you're good to go. Later, QD.
    This...

thanks for the quick good reply.

You know i have always had the cops out to check the VIN, but appartlly didn't need too, they had been registered in GA before. Good to know, the cops don't like coming out, takes a few hours.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Drive the vehicle to the police station and get them to inspect it there. Thats what I did, took maybe 20 minutes on a Friday afternoon. Once you buy it you're still good to drive under the 30 day rule, as long as you have insurance on it. Just keep the bill of sale and insurance card on you

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

^^^ I wouldn't recommend doing that, but I guess you could. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

I am not an expert, but I had a 69 Benz and PO just gave me a BOS on notebook paper. It was never tagged in GA. I just walked into the tag office with insurance binder and got tags. My 53 was the same way, it was last tagged in GA in 1975 (pre electronic records). I walked in with BOS (on notebook paper_), insurance binder, and the orig. 1953 tag and got it registerd to me.

bingo

does this work for motorcylces too? im lookin into buyin a 1970 honda express
    ayy bitchh, get in there n make me a gahh damm sammmichh