Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daily an oldschool?

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

1.) The thing about the older VW's is that they are either indirect-injection diesel (IDI) or they use the CIS fuel injection system. Not just any old mechanic can work on either one of those systems. I've seen lots of people with CIS end up stranded because they didn't know how anything about it, their friends and even their mechanics didn't know anything about it. There are lot of little differences between VW's and most other cars. For example, on a VW the timing marks are on the flywheel and you have to pull a stopper out of the bellhousing to see them.

2.) With a watercooled VW there are a few special tools you will need, like a set of XZN sockets (aka triple square). They are like an allen wrench, but 12 point instead of 6. They are used where the CV axles bolt to the transmission, for the head bolts, and other places too. Autozone has them in a set of 4 for $12 or so. Tell them you want item 25015. If they tell you they don't have it, they are shitting you.

3.) You'll need a set of allen wrenches too. Best to get the socket bit kind because you'll be using them a lot.

4.) Platform designations are always "mark," as used in King's english. As in Lee-Enfield Rifle No. 1, Mk III or Jagaur XK140 Saloon, MkII. You never, ever pronounce it as "emm-kay." The only exception is when you're doing it ironically to make fun of the newer generation of VW's and their fans who don't know the correct form, in which case you would say "Emm-Kay-Eye-Vee".

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Cars are cars, it's not special to daily drive an old car, it's far more of a risk to daily drive a newer highly modified car. Old cars half the time you can even ghetto rig the fuck out of to get home.

I've daily driven newer and old cars and never thought of it being any different. A cars a car each make and model has its pros and cons.

NOOB

A car is meant to be driven, i'll be dammned if i buy one just to look at it. I daily drive my 86 sr5 coupe like it's a late model car, hella reliable and I will drive it anywhere, DC, KY, Atl, Nawlins u name it. Used to tow cars with it til i bought truck this year, no shit, had to replace clutch twice. Truck and tow dolly makes life much easier.
    85 Ae86 hatch 3tc .040 over
    2005 REPSOL 1000 RR Fs/ft
    81 Starlet built 3tc N/A
    Gts/sr5 parts for sale

haha that was fun... you know what I mean. Thanks again to John for rescuing us and the food when the 510 exploded. I only have 1 tow left on my policy now haha

Quote Originally Posted by Glides View Post

Props to John, he rescued me on the side of 85 North being buffetted and blown around by semi trucks. THAT is a True lover of Old School cars man. When 3 people load up in a Corolla wagon and make a beeline for you in the dark after hours.....It's like a Special Forces hit squad. "Ring ring" There goes the Red Phone...mobilize bitches!
    72 Datsun 510 goon SR
    83 Datsun Maxima RB
    80 Toyota Cressida 4M

Quote Originally Posted by LeX View Post
    haha that was fun... you know what I mean. Thanks again to John for rescuing us and the food when the 510 exploded. I only have 1 tow left on my policy now haha

Yea what exactly happened with that? You hit the NAWS button prematurely or something?

Garage-Sixgun
    If you're gonna do it, overdo it.

Dirty Octopus Photography. Magic with a shutter!

my SA is my daily

Quote Originally Posted by ps2man21 View Post
    my SA is my daily
    Pictures of said SA

I dd and beat the hell out of my 84 e30... and it has never let me down. 500k+ miles of the bottom end and it takes the punishment. It does need a good bit of maintenance but im okay with it. gives me something to do.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

before the kids and a broken crank i daily drove ( no rain or snow) 67 corvette.... once the kids cam no place for car seats... and then when i broke the crank we went back to evil parts.. now is 13.5 to 1 compression and a 110 octain motor now...

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

I guess my MR2 is "old school" (85) and I dd that, before that I had an E30 with a shit high of miles like Thighs posted and never had a real issue with it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Machado View Post
    Pictures of said SA

Last edited by ps2man21; 03-23-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: resize pics. my bad yo

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

Can you please resize that? Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

NOOB

I always buy a parts car for any car old school ride i have. I have a truck and tow dolly so if i can just get home im good.
    85 Ae86 hatch 3tc .040 over
    2005 REPSOL 1000 RR Fs/ft
    81 Starlet built 3tc N/A
    Gts/sr5 parts for sale

my FB is my daily..

i dd my 85 rx7 for 3 years before i broke my int. plate and 2 freeze plugs before that ran good even after that still did 296xxx miles still going

I am DD'ing my FB 22 miles each way. I am also relentless on it. Gas mileage isn't good,but most of that comes from being in the secondaries way too much. I also have a Pathfinder and use of a tow dolly in case though. Pros: so much fun on the way to work,hell the only con is no A/C.

yeah
    ive never had a car with A/C
    so never bothers me

i drove my 78 chevy truck 1 1/2 hours each way to work for a year. Granted a built 454, no overdrive and 3.73 gears made for 9 miles a gallon; it was all worth it when people tell you your nuts for dd'ing that kind of vehicle. BTW, i drove that mutha fukka like i stole it chirping the tires goin into 3rd on a automatic everyday

WillAgreeForReps!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thighs View Post
    I dd and beat the hell out of my 84 e30... and it has never let me down. 500k+ miles of the bottom end and it takes the punishment. It does need a good bit of maintenance but im okay with it. gives me something to do.
    the e30 u and travis went back and forth with right? i praise u for dailying a e30, mine was nothing but electrical trouble

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
    Any concrete pro's and con's guys?
    i daily drive my celica and some concrete problems are when something goes wrong like an old brake line finally freezes its cost upwards $500 to fix in a day so i can have to drive to work. not to mention dumbasses opening doors on it at the store no mater how far you park form the door. my car was slammed into while parked in my work lot. it took 3 months to find all the replacement parts and trim pieces.

Certified Gearhead

You're a retard for calling a rabbit pickup truck a caddy...

But as far as a daily driver... if you don't know how to take care of a car then don't do it.
    If you are not going to keep up with maintenance then don't do it.
    If you don't keep the basic spare parts and tools with you to keep it running, then you're a fool, but you could still do it.

I've had an old school DD since 1997... Actually... I have never had anything "new" because I don't trust it...

:boobies: ??
    Last edited by Big_Dave; 04-04-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    ZERO Nostalgic Japanese Streetfighters

I daily drove my accord for 5 months until it took a dump on me. Thinking a bad carb, turner into a little more. Lost compression on the #3 cylinder so I just sold it for a $100 less than what I paid for it. When I get my aunt '84 Corolla this year, I will more than likely daily it for a while too.
    "Damn, Its Tyler"
    RaceReadyDevelopments

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodge® View Post
    I daily my CVCC. If it runs and I feel it is dependable enough, it's all I drive. Several of us on here do as well. Why not, though? I can't see myself putting money into a car only to let it sit. Later, QD.
    This.
    "I'm not a gynecologist... but I'll take a look."

WillAgreeForReps!!

Quote Originally Posted by VWGirl View Post
    You're a retard for calling a rabbit pickup truck a caddy...
    lol

WillAgreeForReps!!

So far my search has been a major fail. Now I'm thinking more of old school Toyotas. Like a kp30 or something to that effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12