Thread: Towing project cars-trailor help

Default Towing project cars-trailor help

i am going to buy a trailor soon to transport cars around. i have towed with a tow dolly, many times, but i need to be able to strip stuff out like rear ends, so i need a trailor. Now my tow vehicle is a Nissan frontier, not the biggest but it pulls great loaded up. when tow dollying altimas and datsuns around, it rode great. So i need a trailor that is light but can be used safely, with a smaller car/truck on board. Nothing bigger than say a 90's sedan like an altima or accord, mostly datsuns. I also might put a hitch on the crown since it has more power than the truck. So should i go with like a 16 footer, is that excessive? Wood or steel? Any suggestions where to buy? Craigslist is not working this time, limited selection. If anyone has one, or knows someone let me know. Any tips on the subject welcomed, i have never owned or bought a trailor before.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

what time is lunch?

If you can find one.

Get an aluminum one. But they are pricey.

Price is a big factor of course. I was really hoping to get one for like $500.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AltimaCharlie View Post
    Good luck.

I've got one you might be able to get for $500. Needs work obv since it is $500. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cprtyler View Post
    bump wish had the cash for a tranny
    Epic Foxbody Thread Crew Member #01

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy7 View Post
    I've got one you might be able to get for $500. Needs work obv since it is $500. lol
    cool, let me know. i am ready to do some work to it of course.
    [email protected]

Well even custom made i can't really pull with my frontier. So i am going with a tow dolly. So i am looking to buy one in the next week or so. If anyone has one for sale let me know. Once i get it i am going to start a transport/towing company. Maybe not as serious as that sounds but i will be availble nights and weekends to haul a car to a shop or whatever. i hope someday to be delivering OSJC to there new owners all over the southeast! I priced transport on cars from all over the country and the price is just crazy. I figure taking into account the weight of the car towed and using a smaller truck i could really offer much lower prices, and spread the love of old japanese cars. Plus i am going to be scrapping/stripping cars, maybe i'll make some of those signs my wife always points out to me: "we buy junk cars"

Theres an old uhaul car trailer on cl for $350 It needs some work, but If I had the extra cash Id definitely pick it up. Check it out just search for it.

i can't find it? i have been searching for dollys/trailors a lot but havn't seen it.

Its on there unless they sold it, just have to look ill see if I can find it.

this place usually has good deals. Definately dont skimp, the wrong trailer just makes hassles even worse. Aluminum is the way to go with a smaller tow rig, but they are pricey. A good used 16 footer is pretty much the way to go and will run you about $1500. Cheaper will only cause you grief.

My tow vehicle is an 02 Nissan Xterra. I tow a 16ft car hauler with no problem. You should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin51982 View Post
    My tow vehicle is an 02 Nissan Xterra. I tow a 16ft car hauler with no problem. You should be fine.
    4 or 6 cyl? i had pretty much decided on a dolly, even though i really want to do a trailor. Maybe i should start looking at trailors again?

4 or 6 cyl? i had pretty much decided on a dolly, even though i really want to do a trailor. Maybe i should start looking at trailors again?
    I have th V-6. My trailer is a good size too, and heavy. But the SUV does it with no problem. Sucks gas down faster.

I am not a fan of the dolly's, especially if you are towing project cars. Sometimes you need all 4 wheels off the ground.
    Last edited by Justin51982; 02-23-2010 at 07:30 PM.

If you would like, you are welcome to come up to Kennesaw and test using my trailer (I have it at my house for the next week or so before I take it back to my mom's). That way you can see how your truck would do with it. Lemme know.

FWIW: U haul used to sell off their older stock pretty cheap....

Quote Originally Posted by Justin51982 View Post
    If you would like, you are welcome to come up to Kennesaw and test using my trailer (I have it at my house for the next week or so before I take it back to my mom's). That way you can see how your truck would do with it. Lemme know.

That would be cool, Sorry i haven't replied sooner. Do you still have at your house?

I finally got me a hitch and a small trailer for the car. hopefully you can find one soon.

That would be cool, Sorry i haven't replied sooner. Do you still have at your house?
    Sorry about taking so long to respond, I forgot about this thread. Yeah, it is still at my house, PM me if you want, offer is still on the table.

TOYOTA1515

16 footer will be to much for your litlle truck bro you need something smaller i got the big crew cab frontier 3.3 v6 5 speed and a 16 footer with a 3300 car is on the edge of its cappabillities, so i guess a 13 footer in a light side with a single axle will be ok for your small truck, maybe a tandem axle with the same size is ok but try it first just to be safe!

i have a 05 frontier 4L. and have pulled just about everything with it. it is never short on power, but stopping with a heavy load can be hairy. so you may want to think about trailer brakes.

Thanks for the tips, i've pretty much decided on a Dolly. I want a trailor, but there are too many factors, concerning price/size. It's cool so many peaple here tow with Nissan trucks! I should have got the V6.

Stay away from Tow Dollys... They are dangerous. I have had many cars and trucks literally drive right off the the dolly straight into traffic.

Save and get an Aluminum Flatbed Car trailer. You will be much happier.
    Honda RC51 SP1
    Yoshi RS-3 Cans
    520 Conversion
    Clip Ons
    Race Tech Fork Kit

i may have found a trailor. you really have had multiple cars fall of a dolly? i once towed a car back from florida with only 1 tire strap!

Dollys tear up steering columns too. If you leave the ignition un-locked, the car is all over the road. If you lock it, it bind in the turn and the force of the vehicle turning is trying to be stopped by the column.

Trust me, spend the extra cash and get a cheap trailer. Besides, if you tow a race car down the road, you dont want to be wearing out expensive race tires going to the track.

I think i have a sweet trailor all lined up, I should have it this weekend. Then i will be in business.