Thread: My AE86 Is killing me!

Default My AE86 Is killing me!

For real!

been a few.

Who else is a rolla now. lets talk problems you have fixed to have another one come back and slow your whole progress down!

ill start with... adding a new muffler cuz the 2.5inch from the header back was to loud, to the shop not running it over the axle but under it and cracking my performance header. then saying they refuse to redo/weld the crack cuz my car is to low and that's what really caused it.

replacing all the front seals/timing belt, and oilpan seal, now i have some funny sound around one of the 2 belts.

oh. and all the mony have been saving up for body work has gone to replacing the hole brake system, and hydrolic clutch parts....

the car Runs awsome has a bad exhaused leak/drags.

i have to replace the output shaft seal some time Its leaking fluid. as of now i just flush and replace the fluid every month i can tell when it gets low/leak get worse cant down shift to second from 3rd when its cold.. might starting doing it every 2 weeks till i get the time... who wants to take bets on whats next to go out? heater core? headlight switch? imma say tires. i feel a flat here soon.

but i can say every morning when i walk out the door and see at the ugly bitch. i know some time.. this year.. she will be sexy.
    Quote Originally Posted by admin
    lets compare bush to jesus i mean they are like best friends
    www.street-706.tk

Mine is 100% reliable, has survived a pretty hard track day with no issues.
    Try not. Do or Do not.

Quote Originally Posted by eraser4g63 View Post
    Mine is 100% reliable, has survived a pretty hard track day with no issues.
    mine sat in a back yard for 6 years until the week b4 xmas. new alternator, distributor, and some brake work and its been great. i drive teh FUCK out of it on this twisty road over here, and it smiles and asks for more

Certified Gearhead

I've had several AE's and your problems are nothing to complain about. I mean shit, its a 25 year old car. You bought it not expecting to do basic mechanical repairs? They are great cars, you just have to keep up with things as parts age/wear out thats all.

Mine had a Megasquirt that reset itself. I sat in the passenger seat with a laptop for 9 hours, got it to run and drove it for 1 month with a base tune for someone elses car. Got it tuned at BaTLground (Woot you badass motherfuckers!!!!! They rule BTW)
    and drove the shit out of it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of old cars man

Garage-Sixgun
    If you're gonna do it, overdo it.

Dirty Octopus Photography. Magic with a shutter!

Certified Gearhead

When I had mine the only problem I had was leaking seals. I did have to rebuild the rearend but that was from it not getting maintenance.like postscript said its a old car so I wasnt surprised.

Oh!! I love her and knew what I was getting into. It just all going on at once!!! And I drive her everyday. I love the old girl. Just wish it weren't so damn cold so I could do some work on her.

Any one got an extra blower box for the heater?

Ill take some pics n post em tomorrow. (If I'm not busy)
    Quote Originally Posted by admin
    lets compare bush to jesus i mean they are like best friends
    www.street-706.tk

i know how you feel man, everything on my cars decide to break when it's freezing out. having no garage makes it impossible in the winter.

My 2002 daily driver is less reliable than my 1986 toyota...
    Try not. Do or Do not.

I overlook all the work I had to put in mine and remember how much fun it is to drive. I've replaced the transmission, replaced the clutch (in 34 degree weather 4 years ago), brake lines, brakes, rebuilt the engine (twice) and I still have to get the MegaSquirt DIYPNP and rebuild the rearend and replace the 23+ year old suspension. I don't look at it as work, it's a learning experience. Just stick with it and you too will appreciate it.
    400,000+ miles; it keeps going and going...

1986 Corolla GT-S
    2000 Celica GT-S

Quote Originally Posted by Farrow2005 View Post
    Oh!! I love her and knew what I was getting into. It just all going on at once!!! And I drive her everyday. I love the old girl. Just wish it weren't so damn cold so I could do some work on her.

Any one got an extra blower box for the heater?

Ill take some pics n post em tomorrow. (If I'm not busy)
    I've been in the AE86 scene since 1999 and I'm still rockin it. At first, I was like, "WTF did I get myself into." Many folks will jump into an AE86 whether its an SR5 or GT-S and end up getting rid of it for many reasons. Its underpowered, it looks like an Accord, or whatever the reasons may be. I guess people won't understand that you'll appreciate it more after you fix the problem(s) yourself. I know for sure that these cars are fun as hell to drive, even for a DD.

If your looking for a blower box, I got one. Pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmjohn View Post
    I've been in the AE86 scene since 1999 and I'm still rockin it. At first, I was like, "WTF did I get myself into." Many folks will jump into an AE86 whether its an SR5 or GT-S and end up getting rid of it for many reasons. Its underpowered, it looks like an Accord, or whatever the reasons may be. I guess people won't understand that you'll appreciate it more after you fix the problem(s) yourself. I know for sure that these cars are fun as hell to drive, even for a DD.

Im rocking a 5spd Sr5 and i love it to death. I can chirp second lol. 80k and runs like a top!

amen to that

Like what everyone else said... mine will be even more fun to drive here, shortly.

Only a few changes since John saw it. LOL LAWN ORNAMENT...
    Madalyn C. Lively Sep 23 2004 - Feb 03 2005 Mommy (kitkat), Daddy (AE86Taylor), Kassee, Katelyn, and Kyle miss and love you!

http://madalynswalk.tripod.com

Quote Originally Posted by AE86Taylor View Post

Only a few changes since John saw it. LOL LAWN ORNAMENT...
    Looking good bro!!! Is it running???

Got the rearend situated, got the new suspension in, started installing the exhaust and headers..... but still can't find anyone around that can weld on my EDIS trigger wheel. One local shop quoted me $350. I laughed in his face. So I'm kind of stuck. Working on doing the MS2/Extra mods to my Megasquirt to try to use the stock cam sensor. But that also means I have to buy some new Ignition components.... Blows... I so wanna drive the car. I miss the handling. And I really wanna hear it.

Going to work on refreshing the paint over the next week or two.
    Madalyn C. Lively Sep 23 2004 - Feb 03 2005 Mommy (kitkat), Daddy (AE86Taylor), Kassee, Katelyn, and Kyle miss and love you!

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

... but still can't find anyone around that can weld on my EDIS trigger wheel.
    One local shop quoted me $350.
    I laughed in his face.
    So I'm kind of stuck.
    I'm sure your laugh isn't as loud as his, lolol. You may just have to ante up and take it to where you can get it done if you have no other options. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Got the rearend situated, got the new suspension in, started installing the exhaust and headers..... but still can't find anyone around that can weld on my EDIS trigger wheel. One local shop quoted me $350. I laughed in his face. So I'm kind of stuck. Working on doing the MS2/Extra mods to my Megasquirt to try to use the stock cam sensor. But that also means I have to buy some new Ignition components.... Blows... I so wanna drive the car. I miss the handling. And I really wanna hear it.

Going to work on refreshing the paint over the next week or two.
    this is something you might want to look into:
    http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=765

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    I'm sure your laugh isn't as loud as his, lolol. You may just have to ante up and take it to where you can get it done if you have no other options. Later, QD.
    I know it doesn't cost that much to center locate the gear on the pulley and simply weld it on. Alot of people have had the same thing done for less than $100. I'm leaning more towards the guy thinking I was some dumbass ricer who doesn't know the cost of metal work. Had he told me $150 I'd have been cool with that. but $350 is insane.

this is something you might want to look into:
    http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=765
    I've talked to them about that kit. But you have to cut away the bottom of the timing cover, and grind off some of the front of your oil pan for clearance. The car will be a daily driver and I'm not comfortable with running an open lower timing cover. Or grinding on my oil pan, that's just asking for more opportunity for it to develop a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by puregroove View Post
    Like what everyone else said... mine will be even more fun to drive here, shortly.
    Yea.....if you get spiked tires there Slidey McSlipperson

Garage-Sixgun
    If you're gonna do it, overdo it.

Dirty Octopus Photography. Magic with a shutter!