Thread: Classic car rant

Senior Member | IA Veteran Catnip's Avatar

Default Classic car rant

After waiting to get all the parts gathered to put the new tranny in and take care of stuff that can only be fixed with the motor out, I go get the engine hoist and begin pulling the motor. I take my time and it takes about 2 hours because it's getting dark. Things that need to be done; intake/exhaust gasket, lower radiator hose, motor mount, tranny mount, and tranny.

1. $590 for a tranny with broken bolt holes. I take it to school and work on it in my spare time, takes about 2 weeks... luckily I waited till I got the new tranny to pull the motor/tranny, so I knew not to pull it right away. And another $35 for fluid and RTV.

2. Wrong intake manifold gasket, this will take probably 1 week to ship there and it took a week to get here, so 2 weeks to get the right one... in addition to getting the first one.

Now my motor/trans will be sitting in the way or in the weather while I wait for the only people that have the gasket to ship it here.

Gotta love it.

/rant
    '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel | '96 240sx

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Why are you going through all the trouble if you're selling the car? Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ
    Why are you going through all the trouble if you're selling the car? Later, QD.

I put it up to see if anyone would bite. I highly doubt it'll sell for $3,000 as it sits, and I won't take any less. Not to mention I've turned down the few offers I've gotten.

It's weird, I've had people in states as far as California and New Jersey (from another forum) make remarks to me about selling it, and I've only put it up in one place.

When I put my 510 up for sale a while back, I got offers from the same areas. weird.
    1990 240sx hatch- sold
    1970 Datsun 510 2dr- l20b, 280zx pistons, hot cam, roadster 5-speed, 13in rims, and ajustable spring seats on the front.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip
    2. Wrong intake manifold gasket, this will take probably 1 week to ship there and it took a week to get here, so 2 weeks to get the right one... in addition to getting the first one.

t

I never order gaskets if I can get around it. Just take some cardboard from a cereal box or whatever, press it with a blunt object to make an impression, and cut out your gasket. A empty shell casing makes a great die for punching the holes.

Unless theres some kind of metal in the gasket in question? I know some Datto motors use a 1pc. intake/exhaust gasket, not sure about the Roadsters though.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender

I never order gaskets if I can get around it. Just take some cardboard from a cereal box or whatever, press it with a blunt object to make an impression, and cut out your gasket. A empty shell casing makes a great die for punching the holes.

Unless theres some kind of metal in the gasket in question? I know some Datto motors use a 1pc. intake/exhaust gasket, not sure about the Roadsters though.
    You're correct in them being one piece. It's also really thick, which is another reason I didn't make one myself

Super Ghetto Rally Team EP3sAreFun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip
    After waiting to get all the parts gathered to put the new tranny in and take care of stuff that can only be fixed with the motor out, I go get the engine hoist and begin pulling the motor. I take my time and it takes about 2 hours because it's getting dark. Things that need to be done; intake/exhaust gasket, lower radiator hose, motor mount, tranny mount, and tranny.

1. $590 for a tranny with broken bolt holes. I take it to school and work on it in my spare time, takes about 2 weeks... luckily I waited till I got the new tranny to pull the motor/tranny, so I knew not to pull it right away. And another $35 for fluid and RTV.

Now my motor/trans will be sitting in the way or in the weather while I wait for the only people that have the gasket to ship it here.

Gotta love it.

/rant
    You have somewhere you can order an intake manifold gasket from? i'm jealous

Mine really dosn't leave the garage. People across the street think it is a tool bench.

Well it sounds like you are having too much trouble. You should just give it all to me.

Just remember how worth it it will be in the end.
    95 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon Limited

Quote Originally Posted by EP3sAreFun
    You have somewhere you can order an intake manifold gasket from? i'm jealous
    i didnt know dodges had intake manifolds

Super Ghetto Rally Team EP3sAreFun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balls
    i didnt know dodges had intake manifolds
    stfu

Mine really dosn't leave the garage. People across the street think it is a tool bench.