Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '87 AE86 Coupe 20V Budget (SLOW) Build (56K go build a shopping mall)

Default '87 AE86 Coupe 20V Budget (SLOW) Build (56K go build a shopping mall)

I've actually had this car for almost 2 years. I had another '87 SR5 before this one but it needed ALOT of work... which is why I only paid $25 for it.
    But I got this car as a one owner all original, female driven car. I paid $1000 for it. It was actually bought here on IA. So this build is a little far behind. When I got the car I was told the carb was messed up. I fould out a few weeks later I learned that the carb was indeed messed up, but also it had a blown head gasket.

I already had a 20V that I had gotten for my first SR5, but for the time being I Just changed the head gasket and installed the carb from my first car. The moment I got it to start the first time, the water pump turned into a frag grenade.... Pulled the water pump and fan from my other SR5, and it fired right up.

Been driving it since then up untill about the middle of October '08 when the ORIGINAL clutch finally gave up at 164,XXX miles.

The original owner kept VERY detailed records of everything done to the car all the way up to 158,XXX miles... all the way down to the part numbers of the stuff she replaced, and even what oil and filters she used on the car. The spare tire, jack, and tools (still sealed in the original green Toyota canvas bag) had never been used.

The car now has '85 celica-supra rims on it that I painted the centers gunmetal and polished the lips and left the center cap tops the factory chrome and just painted the sides gunmetal to match the wheels and used crome lug nuts with 185/60/r14 tires. Swapped some painted 13" steel SR5
    rims for these. So... $0

I pulled the power steering and swapped in a MR2 manual rack, using a T3 adapter bushing. And I got a MKIII supra intermediate steering shaft to lengthen my steering column from Ryan at CCR. Cost me all of about $80. Feels great.

Got my clutch from Max on Club4ag.com. He is the owner of Illegal Garage in Cali. He's a great guy and always answers the phone peronnally once you get past his digital assistant. Got a flywheel from a 85 GTS from Tyler for free (Thanks man) when he was with CCR, and purchased ARP flywheel bolts off ebay for $32. Went to Toyota and bought 6 pressure plate bolts.$6.83.

I'm using Megasquirt 2 with a version 3 board, and harness from DIYautotune.com $225
    (THANKS JERRY!)

Got my 20v from a company in Texas that no longer exists. The engine appears to be in good shape, but they failed to send my the rest of the harness, a computer, MAF, coil, igniter, coil to cap spark plug wire... you get the idea. I'm glad I only had to pay the shipping on the motor.... well actually a friend paid for it as payment for some work I did on his eclipse. (Thanks Adam) so.... $0

I've finished the computer, and did some mods to the wiring harness.

I have a GTS gas tank with pump, but no lines that I also got from Tyler, But I don't think that the lines will be an issue. $50

I will also be swapping out the 6.38" rearend with a 7.5" one from an early 80's toyota pickup. So at my local junkyard I started scouring around and found a '86 Supra with a N/A 5M engine and a auto tranny with a 4.10 LSD equipped 7.5" rearend with 76,XXX miles. It was in great shape, so I pulled it. Checked the price list and found that LSD or not, they only charge $35 for rearend chunk.... I said "MINE!"

I also have a unknown double core radiator from my friend Randy's old turbo DA Integra. It is the same height at the stock Corolla radiator, but is twice as thick, and is 4" wider.

Any way, here are some pictures of the car and some pics of what I've done so far.

Cannon Plug for Ground wires and Injector wires for Megasquirt. The side with the flat plate will be mounted to the firewall. This will make removing the engine easier since the two halves simply screw together and have a self locking feature to prevent accidental disconnection.

Pins that go into the cannon plugs

Recepticals that go in the other half of the cannon plugs

In the middle of this solder sleeve is a ring of solder that is used for grounding shielding for wires

Used a heat gun to shrink it to the wire and melt the solder. Crimped the recepticles to the ends...

The install tool for installing the pins and recepticles into the plugs.

The crimping tool for the pins squeezes from 4 directions at the same time.

Such a big crimper for such a small pin. lol The crimper is actually adjustable and the handle ratchets, so if you need to readjust your hand, it won't release the pin. The only way to make it release the pin is to fully crimp it. The adjustment settings will only allow you to over crimp the pin if you input the wrong wire gauge on the adjustment dial.

The old 4AC... still runs strong....

The 4AC has landed....

Removed the thermostat housing.... I plan to put a plate on the back of this with holes cut identicle to the holes in the head. Then I will attach two water inlets off of two 7AFE engines that were cores returned to the junkyard. I'll make another plate to match that will be bolted to the head. Run two hoses between the two and then just connect the radiator hoses from the housing to the radiator, and the heater core hoses. Keep the stock thermostat and my heat will work like it's supposed to. And all without drilling the head, or reversing the flow either.

Test fitting the engine to see how to fabricate the relocation kit

The heater core valve clears the ITB's with no modification. Woohoo.... Cause I'm a puss and I like having heat in my car... LOL

I bought some aluminum plate at from Prince Sheetmetal for about $10. The radiator hoses were $3.50 each at the junkyard. The junkyard I go to doesn't have a price on their sheet for water inlets, but they charge $3.50 for thermostat housings. I put the two water inlets on the counter when I bought the hose, and he charged me $.25 for them. I was like, "hey, I'll be back for two more in a few days."

I'm still uploading the pictures of my relocation kit, and some newer pictures of the car with the motor in it. Hopefully I will get some more work done soon and get some more pictures and update up. Thanks for checking out my build.
    Madalyn C. Lively Sep 23 2004 - Feb 03 2005 Mommy (kitkat), Daddy (AE86Taylor), Kassee, Katelyn, and Kyle miss and love you!

http://madalynswalk.tripod.com

The House Of Honda The Green Monster's Avatar

can't wait to see the progression
    Add My IG: @The_House_Of_Honda / @Paddleshift.Photo [/b]

Thanks. Hoping to get to bust some ass on this thing and get it done... SOON... LOL but my wife and kids come first. So I put my car off.
    Madalyn C. Lively Sep 23 2004 - Feb 03 2005 Mommy (kitkat), Daddy (AE86Taylor), Kassee, Katelyn, and Kyle miss and love you!

Awesome! I can't wait to see more as well!
    JJSPEC Racing
    "He who judges a book by its cover will soon be staring at taillights."

Thanks. I was just looking at your thread on your car about an hour ago, thinking "Hey, someone else who likes not so common cars.". In warner robins I have one of only 3 AE corollas. The other two are owned by two guys in their 60's that will probably drive them till their wheels fall off (or they rust apart).

Nice build. I like how you took your time and didn't rip out the old motor right away. How much do you think that junkyard wants for the 5m? Or is it still even there.

Certified Gearhead

awesome car, just got rid of mine

Quote Originally Posted by AltimaCharlie
    Nice build. I like how you took your time and didn't rip out the old motor right away. How much do you think that junkyard wants for the 5m? Or is it still even there.
    Thanks. They sell their engines naked for. $100. So no accessories. But the condition is unknown. It was all there the last time I was there a few weeks ago.

I am actually really excited to see more on this build. My aunt has a 84' sr-5 I'm working on getting. She's had the car since 85' and it shows thats its been well kept. Good clean black interior and the exterior is even better. This will give me maybe give me a few good ideas of some stuff I would want to do to the one I'm getting.
    "Damn, Its Tyler"
    RaceReadyDevelopments

Quote Originally Posted by Fast-Tech™
    I am actually really excited to see more on this build. My aunt has a 84' sr-5 I'm working on getting. She's had the car since 85' and it shows thats its been well kept. Good clean black interior and the exterior is even better. This will give me maybe give me a few good ideas of some stuff I would want to do to the one I'm getting.
    It is definitely a fun car. Even with the stock motoy laying down a pavement scorching 55 horsepower to the ground. There will be a bit more low budget DIY part made for this car. So definitely keep checking in from time to time.

Super Ghetto Rally Team EP3sAreFun's Avatar

very pmp

Mine really dosn't leave the garage. People across the street think it is a tool bench.

its nice to see a fellow 86 owner doing a build. ill keep an eye this thread

Suscribed! Nice quality electrical work. Megasquirt rocks!
    ZERO Nostalgic Japanese Streetfighters

Quote Originally Posted by rt132kp61
    Suscribed! Nice quality electrical work. Megasquirt rocks!
    if you can get the shit to work right....

lol i kid. i love MS.... but seriously.... it sucks it troubleshoot

Mine really dosn't leave the garage. People across the street think it is a tool bench.

nice... hope everything comes out good for u
    Peek-a-boo mofucka what now?!

where did u get the 20v from? and how much was it if u dont mind..

The company was called Superior Trading International out of Abilene Texas if I remember right. The original deal was $550 For engine, harness, ignitor, MAF, ECU, flywheel, and coil. Basically everything needed to make it run. Then instead we worked out a sponsorship deal and I got it for free. But I can see why they went under. Work out a deal and they never notified me when they shipped the engine. So it sat in macon for for like 2 weeks. Then when I found out and went to get it, they only sent the engine, half a cut harness, and with an attatched auto tranny. thats it. We agreed to a engine from a manual tranny car. And I told them I didn't need the front wheel drive tranny, and they send me an auto. After I got it and called them they told me to make a list of what I needed and they would ship it. I did, and the stuff never arrived. I found out months later that they closed up shop. Never send the items I listed as they promised.

Ok, I FINALLY gt the pictures uploaded and resized. This will give you guys an idea of some of the stuff I have done.

Painted the block cast iron before we put it in.

The new clutch

Isn't it cute... "Anything more than a handful is a waste." LOL

The resurfaced flywheel

New flywheel bolts

The CNC'd Delrin manual rack adapter bushing

Custom waterline relocation kit. Unfortunatly I forgot to take pictures when I installed it on the back of the motor. And I learned to only put plugs into the two 90 degree outlets. If you try to put a sensor in one, it will hit the firewall... don't ask how I know this..... And in the last pictures you will see where I assembled the kit together with the gaskets and sealant, I did remove the excess sealant before I installed it on the motor. The big gasket I made goes between the kit and the block. I made some custom caps and put a few pounds of pressure into the coolant passages of the block with my air compressor. No leaks. Woohoo.

Did some cosmetic stuff to the car just for the hell of it. I painted the faded bumper trim and stuff. The bumpers will eventually be replaced by factory Japanese Kouki bumpers... Notice I didn't say JDM bumpers.... cause... well... the phrase JDM is a little over played..... doesn't make the stuff any more important to me.... plus I have enough ploblems with the price of AE86 parts thanks to ricers and that damn Initial D tax they add to all things associated with the AE86 designation.... lol

BEFORE

AFTER

I also painted the Celica-Supra wheels as mentioned in my first post

The knock off tach I got for $25... The stock SR5 tach stops at 8K.... My motor goes to 8.8K.... So it will do for now.

And last but not least... The car as it sits now.... I know.... "LOWER THE DAMN THING!" that's what I always hear. And I always reply, "In due time."
    Thanks for looking. Hopefully I will update again soon, and thanks for all the positive feedback.

Last edited by AE86Taylor; 06-19-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AE86Taylor
    The company was called Superior Trading International out of Abilene Texas if I remember right. The original deal was $550 For engine, harness, ignitor, MAF, ECU, flywheel, and coil. Basically everything needed to make it run. Then instead we worked out a sponsorship deal and I got it for free. But I can see why they went under. Work out a deal and they never notified me when they shipped the engine. So it sat in macon for for like 2 weeks. Then when I found out and went to get it, they only sent the engine, half a cut harness, and with an attatched auto tranny. thats it. We agreed to a engine from a manual tranny car. And I told them I didn't need the front wheel drive tranny, and they send me an auto. After I got it and called them they told me to make a list of what I needed and they would ship it. I did, and the stuff never arrived. I found out months later that they closed up shop. Never send the items I listed as they promised.
    damn that kind of sucks, but atleast u got it for free! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Swagger
    damn that kind of sucks, but atleast u got it for free! lol
    Oh believe me. I would have been pissed if I'd have paid for it and got what I did. LOL

Senior Member | IA Veteran Catnip's Avatar

I know where you live

Looks good man, do you ever come to any of the little meets we put together in WR?
    '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel | '96 240sx

We have been to a few get togethers in W.R. But none dealing with I.A. Plus I don't feel my cars are meet worthy yet. LOL

Hey, what version of MS ya running? whatcha doing for ignition?

I'm using MS 2 with a v3 board running MS Extra. I will be doing COP using the stock G1 and NE signals from the stock dizzy on a 12-1 setup.

Cool swap
    Jason..

Thanks

My GTS got totalled last night. Interested in selling?
    Matthew Brueck
    iTrack Motorsports

www.itrackms.com

Senior Member | IA Veteran Catnip's Avatar

We have been to a few get togethers in W.R. But none dealing with I.A. Plus I don't feel my cars are meet worthy yet. LOL
    If they were in the circuit city, foodmax, or wal-mart parking lot they were

No but really, doesn't really matter the car, just people getting together to talk about cars and what not.
    '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel | '96 240sx

Quote Originally Posted by matthewAPM
    My GTS got totalled last night. Interested in selling?
    Doubt it. I've bought alot of stuff for this car and alot of tools. Selling it in the condition it is in now I wouldn't even break even probably. I doubt anyone would want to pay what I would ask. I'm not saying the price would be crazy high, but it would be close to $3K. Not to mention all the crap my wife went through to make it so we could get the car, I don't think she'd be to happy. Unless it sold high enough to help on a down payment for a S2K. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip
    If they were in the circuit city, foodmax, or wal-mart parking lot they were

No but really, doesn't really matter the car, just people getting together to talk about cars and what not.

Nope, nope, and ...... nope. Maybe we might be able to make it to a meet one day.

damn kool car... im falling in love with these
    ....True ////OFFSET\\\\

Thanks

I'm using MS 2 with a v3 board running MS Extra. I will be doing COP using the stock G1 and NE signals from the stock dizzy on a 12-1 setup.
    COP? good luck man. Same MS here, but i'm running DCC

Very nice looking coupe. AE86s aren't common at all here, I live in Gainesville (NE Georgia) and there is one GT-S coupe and I have a friend who lives in Lawrenceville and he knows some around him. I don't know if you have ran into issues finding parts, but have you checked out Club4AG? They're mainly in Cali, but I've gotten stuff (and still get stuff) and they've been pretty helpful. Anyway, I can't wait to see what else you plan to do to it. I rebuilt my 7-rib 4A-GE bluetop about 6 months ago and it's so much better. I'm sure you'll even be more impressed going from the 4AC to the silvertop.
    400,000+ miles; it keeps going and going...

1986 Corolla GT-S
    2000 Celica GT-S

Quote Originally Posted by EP3sAreFun
    COP? good luck man. Same MS here, but i'm running DCC
    Yea, I like the way coil on plug looks on the motor, and unlike using EDIS I won't have visible spark plug wires. Since with COP there are no plug wires. just a power, tach signal, and a ground.

I'm not familiar with DCC. What is it exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by AE86Raptor
    Very nice looking coupe. AE86s aren't common at all here, I live in Gainesville (NE Georgia) and there is one GT-S coupe and I have a friend who lives in Lawrenceville and he knows some around him. I don't know if you have ran into issues finding parts, but have you checked out Club4AG? They're mainly in Cali, but I've gotten stuff (and still get stuff) and they've been pretty helpful. Anyway, I can't wait to see what else you plan to do to it. I rebuilt my 7-rib 4A-GE bluetop about 6 months ago and it's so much better. I'm sure you'll even be more impressed going from the 4AC to the silvertop.

Thanks. at one point there were 4 86s where I live. And I owned 2 of them. All are SR5s and the other 2 belong to some old guys in their 70s. I've been a member of Club4AG for a few years (under the same user name). I've gotten a few parts from there, and sold a few too. Originally I was going to go with a redtop out of the local junkyard, but when I stumbled across the deal I got on my 20V I couldn't pass it up. And yea, I can't wait to take it for a spin and see the difference between the two engines.

Yea, I like the way coil on plug looks on the motor, and unlike using EDIS I won't have visible spark plug wires. Since with COP there are no plug wires. just a power, tach signal, and a ground.

I'm not familiar with DCC. What is it exactly?
    Direct coil control, singal from a Tach goes to the MS, the MS acts as an igniter and tells the coil to fire.

same way alot of cars work, supposed to be really simple, i just am having trouble getting a Tach signal
    Last edited by EP3sAreFun; 06-22-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Oh ok. I know what you are talking about now. I've never heard it called that. You're using the VB921 (I think that's the right number) chip as an igniter. I was confused. LOL

Oh ok. I know what you are talking about now. I've never heard it called that. You're using the VB921 (I think that's the right number) chip as an igniter. I was confused. LOL
    correct!

A simple and reliable way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast