Thread: Moving to Columbia, SC...

Default Moving to Columbia, SC...

Anybody have any tips, advice, or tell me how much I am going to love/hate this city? I am pretty excited to start the next chapter in my life, post grad.

fuk columbia

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    fuk columbia
    Well......there ya have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

Have fun melting in the heat this summer.....if you thought the heat in Atlanta was bad....
    02' Miata

LOL eeeeexactly your a/c better be on point +1 that's one of the hottest cities i've encounted, that's including Miami's humid ass shit...it's ok..if you stay in the right area. which is like any city you go to

You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Leaving GA for SC lol

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by On_Her_Face View Post
    Anybody have any tips, advice, or tell me how much I am going to love/hate this city? I am pretty excited to start the next chapter in my life, post grad.
    One of the best things about moving to Columbia is that you'll be that much closer to the ocean. You're about 2 all interstate hours North of one of the coolest cities on the East Coast. I was actually in Columbia today.

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    Leaving GA for SC lol
    Says someone who obviously has no idea what a lot of good perks comes with living in that state. Aside from my above comment, there is also the fact that gas prices are quite a bit cheaper over there. I passed many stations where you could buy petro for $3.03 per gallon. It's stays about $.30 cheaper than Georgia all the time. Tax rates there are one of the lowest in the country. Cost of living is definitely cheaper there. Plus there is my comment above. Ever since I started driving a truck and spending time in that state, I've wanted to move there.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodge® View Post
    Says someone who obviously has no idea what a lot of good perks comes with living in that state. Aside from my above comment, there is also the fact that gas prices are quite a bit cheaper over there. I passed many stations where you could buy petro for $3.03 per gallon. It's stays about $.30 cheaper than Georgia all the time. Tax rates there are one of the lowest in the country. Cost of living is definitely cheaper there. Plus there is my comment above. Ever since I started driving a truck and spending time in that state, I've wanted to move there.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
    Tried it for a year it was very boring unless you like lots of woods so i can knock it. I couldn't wait to get back to Georgia there is more to do in Georgia and lots of more interesting people. Id never up and move for the just the gas prices and taxes are cheaper lol
    To everyone there own its not like you can't never move back if you don't like it.

Tried it for a year it was very boring unless you like lots of woods so i can knock it. I couldn't wait to get back to Georgia there is more to do in Georgia and lots of more interesting people. Id never up and move for the just the gas prices and taxes are cheaper lol
    To everyone there own its not like you can't never move back if you don't like it.
    Pardon me while I remove my foot from my mouth to apologize to you for jumping the gun. Although trying it for a year isn't really a lot of time to get acclimated to living there. But you have more time in residence than I do. To me, I feel there is more (fun things) to do in Carolina. Of course I am also a huge fan of the ocean and surfing so I guess I'm biased in that. I would love for an opportunity to move to SC. And not just for cheaper gas prices. Just to get out of Georgia. It sucks here, ha! Would SC be my first choice to move to? Nope. Probably about 10th behind the westernmost states and a couple of eastern ones.

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodge® View Post
    Pardon me while I remove my foot from my mouth to apologize to you for jumping the gun. Although trying it for a year isn't really a lot of time to get acclimated to living there. But you have more time in residence than I do. To me, I feel there is more (fun things) to do in Carolina. Of course I am also a huge fan of the ocean and surfing so I guess I'm biased in that. I would love for an opportunity to move to SC. And not just for cheaper gas prices. Just to get out of Georgia. It sucks here, ha! Would SC be my first choice to move to? Nope. Probably about 10th behind the westernmost states and a couple of eastern ones.
    Yes many things can change the opinion far as what you dwell in as activity. My wife is from Florida so she was born and raised off the beach and she hates Georgia. I hate just visiting Florida for more than a week its just not my cup of tea. If i had to choose a Carolina id go with North and try getting close to the Cherokee Cosino lol

I wanna move back to Tucson.

I actually will be saying goodbye to you GA folks in about 3 months....
    02' Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    I actually will be saying goodbye to you GA folks in about 3 months....
    You're actually moving to one of the states that's closer to the top of my list of states I'd love to live in.

I've always heard good things about some of the major cities in texas.

I hated GA the first few years of living here, but it grew on me. Couldn't picture moving back to NY at this point.

IA.COM Founder.

For now, I love GA. Lived in Jersey, NYC, NH And MA. To me, GA is great for many reasons. A little bit of everything with a road trip.. Lol and when state tax Is removed, I would like it even more.

Never lived in SC, but I've been there several times, and I can say, I just never get a good vibe.. Reminds me of trashy crappy Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by CSquared View Post
    I've always heard good things about some of the major cities in texas.
    I lived in Fort Worth for a spell and it was awesome. Loved living there and hated to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    For now, I love GA. Lived in Jersey, NYC, NH And MA. To me, GA is great for many reasons. A little bit of everything with a road trip.. Lol and when state tax Is removed, I would like it even more.

Never lived in SC, but I've been there several times, and I can say, I just never get a good vibe.. Reminds me of trashy crappy Louisiana.
    Although there are many nice areas to live in in SC, it kind of is just an old country backwoods type of state. I like it because of the lack of bigger cities and larger populations. Just more laid back. I don't like hustle and bustle and big city living.

Plus the ocean is just down the street! Lolol.

I just miss my home town Los Angeles
    got vtec?

Leaving GA for SC lol
    Obviously it is for work related reasons. I am glad to try a new city. It is only for 12 months then I will be transferred again to a different location for one year. Very exciting stuff, for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by On_Her_Face View Post
    Obviously it is for work related reasons. I am glad to try a new city. It is only for 12 months then I will be transferred again to a different location for one year. Very exciting stuff, for me anyway.
    You gotta go with the money and get that green so go for it

cant move to greenville instead?

Meh.

I've lived in three different cities in SC (both upstate and coastal)... total time more than I've lived in GA. Other than Charleston, that state has nothing worth mentioning.

I was told there was a thread about my hometown/state so I had to check it out..

I'm an SC native and lived in Columbia for about 24 years. My family still lives there and I visit many times a year. Have lived in Charleston briefly but spent a ton of time there otherwise and in Greenville as well. I don't at all agree that nothing in SC is worth mentioning. No, it's not full of huge, cosmopolitan cities and definitely has its share of rednecks but there is a lot of history, a lot of beautiful nature and a lot of good people. I've traveled all over the US and the world and there are much worse places to be. Charleston is my favorite part of the state but there are good things to be found scattered around.

Columbia is small. It can be pretty boring but if you make some good friends, that can easily be solved. I had a blast growing up there even though I always wanted to be in a bigger city. We just made the best of it. Do you like doing things outdoors? I grew up a stone's throw from Lake Murray and a boat can solve boredom on just about any day. Plus, yes, it's HOT. Ridiculously hot. Water helps. I've been told there are some smaller car meets here and there including one downtown on Main St with some pretty decent cars. Columbia has this strange pocket of hidden nice cars. Almost every time I'm home I'll see one insanely nice Supra, NSX or newer supercar that you would never expect to see in Columbia. Hopefully you will have the same luck. I also did a lot of biking when I was in Columbia, tons of big parks and trails around the area. Football season is also a damn good time and USC has a great baseball team as well that can provide some entertainment. Just beware of the SC State Fair.. not that any fairs are good but yeah...

Another great thing is being just an hour or two drive from a lot of other activities. Charleston is a great place for a weekend trip. I used to drive down to the beach just for a day quite often. I love going to Hunting Island near Beaufort. When I was growing up, Greenville was a pretty crappy place but since BMW moved in a while back, it's been on a steady uptick. There is so much more to do now, downtown has been revitalized, a lot of new business has moved in and it's a decent place to visit. You're also close the the mountains and the camping, hiking, boating and fun roads to drive. I enjoyed visiting Table Rock, Devil's Fork, Lakes Jocassee and Keowee are fabulous. If you need a visit to a larger city, Charlotte is not far at all and has also grown a ton in the past few decades. Charlotte is actually my original hometown so to speak and I can't tell you how much it has changed. Downtown is really pretty and the land around the city is really nice.

I can't say much about the smaller towns in SC. Most are pretty boring and unremarkable. That's a characteristic of a lot of the south though. New England has all these charming small towns all over the but most of the little places in SC, and GA as well, are just little areas with a Walmart and a downtown that used to be cute. Beaufort is an exception and I can think of a few others in NC and maybe one or two that I've found in GA but most are not worth exploring.

As for more on Columbia.. cost of living is very low. Plenty of bars and good music from time to time but if you like bigger bands, you'll have to travel. Eat some Rush's if you like burgers. I'll be home this weekend and can't wait to dig into a hamburger basket. I think I eat maaaaaaybe one burger a month unless I go home, lol. Good BBQ, tasty sweet tea and lots of traditional southern cooking. As a girl, I'd say the worst thing about Columbia is the shopping. Ugh. The malls are tiny and only one is even worth going to. Some of the others I wouldn't go to if you paid me, they are pretty sad. Five Points and the Vista area have a lot more independent boutiques but there is very little high end shopping like in Atlanta and no malls even close to the size of any of ours. I know it's not a big deal to some people but it's kinda crap not having many places to walk around inside when it's a billion degrees outside. There's a Whole Foods now and TJ's is opening soon. There is also an IMAX now but it's in an area of town that I don't like. The museums are small but can be fun if you like museums.... which I do.

I'm ready to get out of the south and will be leaving in just a few months but I will enjoy my trips home to see family. Don't plan on visiting Atlanta much other than for work reasons.
    Last edited by JennB; 05-09-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    2005 Mazdaspeed MX-5 -1.8L Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by JDMDA_1.7 View Post
    I just miss my home town Los Angeles
    Hell Yeah, I miss everything about LA, but the living expense over there is ridiculous

Lake Keowee is very nice in SC you should go check it out

AFA HOLLYWOOD PREMIER LEAGUE EST. 1998

Quote Originally Posted by C230K View Post
    Hell Yeah, I miss everything about LA, but the living expense over there is ridiculous

Lake Keowee is very nice in SC you should go check it out
    just got back from visiting family ,man downtown is changing .white people everywhere! lol
    got vtec?