Thread: New Tax on Used Vehicles

Certified Gearhead BURRITO_mike's Avatar

Default New Tax on Used Vehicles

Hope this is in the right spot...ive tried looking for a duplicate thread but didnt see anything. so sorry if there is, just delete this one.

Ga passed something (dontknowthepropername) that basically gets rid of the yearly ad velorem tax every year, and makes you pay a percentage the current market value on what ever vehicle you are registering after march 1 2013.

Ive been reading on this since i decided to sell my truck.. has anyone had to deal with this?
    Main question is Do they actually tax the market value or what you paid for it?
    And secondly how do they come up with said value they are taxing?

Hope thats not confusing.

6.5% of the cars assessed value according to the state of GA. I plan on buying cars pre 85 to avoid the whole damn thing.
    '82 TE72 SR5 Sport Coupe
    3tc

They have a list with what they suggest retail and proper tax is sneeky bastards

I wonder how they come up with that list???

Peewee

Their way of getting a value is RETARDED.

My friend bought a 04 TSX w/ 107k miles with Navi for $9500, registered it paid $580, valued at $8000, bought it last week. My friend bought a 04 TSX w/ 169k miles, no navi, for $5k. Registered it for $539, bought it 2 days ago. Valued at $7950 exactly..

Car #1 is worth a couple thousand than the other..

Quote Originally Posted by BURRITO_mike View Post
    Hope this is in the right spot...ive tried looking for a duplicate thread but didnt see anything. so sorry if there is, just delete this one.

Ga passed something (dontknowthepropername) that basically gets rid of the yearly ad velorem tax every year, and makes you pay a percentage the current market value on what ever vehicle you are registering after march 1 2013.

Ive been reading on this since i decided to sell my truck.. has anyone had to deal with this?
    Main question is Do they actually tax the market value or what you paid for it?
    And secondly how do they come up with said value they are taxing?

Hope thats not confusing.

If you search there are 2 threads on this.....all with in the past 90 days
    LS3 / Comp / Halltech / ARH / Powerdrive / OZ / Stoptech / Katech / B&B / VR Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by MOWE View Post
    If you search there are 2 threads on this.....all with in the past 90 days
    What key words were you using because i still cant find them...not trying to start a pissing match but i tried to be thorough.

To avoid this exact situation.

Still cant seem to find a solid answer after i called the tag office. I guess ill just leave it be not like its going away.

Thanks for all the help IA.

Quote Originally Posted by BURRITO_mike View Post
    What key words were you using because i still cant find them...not trying to start a pissing match but i tried to be thorough.

To avoid this exact situation.

Still cant seem to find a solid answer after i called the tag office. I guess ill just leave it be not like its going away.

Thanks for all the help IA.

also look up my threads....the title said Ad Velorum...or someting like that.
    LS3 / Comp / Halltech / ARH / Powerdrive / OZ / Stoptech / Katech / B&B / VR Tuned

Guess its about to be a bitch buying a car this year and mind as well hold off on that bike I wanted..

Idk what im doing wrong?? But sorry either way, we all hate duplicates.

But yes Op7!mu5, it seems that way. At least im getting an old car so maybe it will work out for me.

When i get done ill be sure to post what I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    They have a list with what they suggest retail and proper tax is sneeky bastards

that list should become public record - so people know what they're getting into purchasing a used car

̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

Well i ended up getting a car from a dealership. But they told me that Ga does go by a list that is "supposedly" updated every 30 days. The list is a compiled average from KBB NADA and the Black Book dealerships use. There was one more thing they used for the list but i cant remember what it was called.

I forgot to asked whether or not it is available to the public, so maybe someone can find out later on. Once my tag and title crap is ready ill go to the tax office and ask more questions for you guys. If you have something you wanna ask just post it and I'll do my best to get you an answer.

Peewee

newtitletax.com is a calculator if you owned the car before 3/1/13 and it'll tell you exactly. they have a calculator for people buying cars now but its complete bs..

So fucking rediculous
    Land Rover LR3 HSE