Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The official "I hope you'll watch Top Gear on History on Tuesdays" thread

Rut, you made my Volvo and I both proud.

To not roll back in a car on a hill is a feat of its own for most, but to do it in a semi. BRAVO!

Ok, I have mixed thoughts on this episode.
    First, let me say that I saw the original TGUK lorry episode when it came out, so I already knew where this one was heading.

1) The Rollback test - Having seen the original TGUK episode, I knew what was going to happen. I don't have an issue with this part though. Still good TV.

2) Tanner's "crash" - The car looks like you pulled it out of the junkyard and strategically placed it there. No owner came running out to check on their crashed car, and where is the police report? You couldn't have just driven off, and any cop would have checked Tanner's license and seen that he did not have a CDL endorsement. That would have been the end of the episode. Obviously, it was a staged crash, and that "altered the results". Good for TV, bad for a competition that is supposed to appear to be real.
    We are supposed to believe that he missed the interestate, and ended up in downtown Marshall, where he hit a parked car? Obviously, missing the interstate was a faked part as well.

3) Rut's trailer fire - Obviously, we know where that one was heading. I will say that I am disappointed that they didn't allow Rut to burn down the entire trailer, like Clarkston got to do. The issue is that the location of the "fire" appears to be staged as well. The fire department shows up, but no police? You are allowed to drive on, with no one checking for a CDL endorsement, and no tickets? Come on, this is America. You can't do anything without being fined or ticketed - you have to pay for everything. The only obvious answer is that the fire department was already engaged and a permit for a controlled burn was already issued, otherwise, the cops would have been there, and the episode would have been ended.

4) The "race" - Tanner was so far behind, that there is no way that he should have been able to catch up. It looked to me as if that result was staged as well, to keep the show interesting. I think that you should have tried to let him drift the truck for extra points though.

Yes, the episode was entertaining, which is the point of the TV show. It just seemed that it was too unrealistic; however, when I think of what could have been changed to make it more realistic, there does not appear to be any obvious way to execute it better, hence, my mixed feelings concerning this episode.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

^^^ I agree with everything you said. But I learned a long time ago there is nothing real about reality TV. So I just enjoy it for what it is. Entertainment.

haha I'll pick one here...

So We were all staged like a half mile or so apart. Tanner did start late, but he just hauled ass. That ring is set up to do 55,60 tops...I was doing high 80's and I don't know how fast he was going but damn he came out of no where on that back stretch...we both slowed down because on that back turn I was afraid we were going to hit (he probably didn't) but it was majorly sketchy.

The hill start thing was crazy...I realize that was a challenge that the UK did too, but if anyone thinks what happened in that section was "Scripted" then they aren't watching...they script the narrations that we do in the VO booth that move the story along....but what happens when we're doing the challenges is just what happens.

Oh, and Tanner hit the sh*t out of that car.

Thanks for watching!
    BooB CreW What ?

One of IA's Awesome Mod's

NASCAR on SPEED's Fun Guy

HOST, Top Gear USA on History Channel starting late this Nov./Dec.

For some reason I enjoy watching you guys more than the UK version, alot of lulz !
    The Answer to 1984 is 1776
    -Alex Jones

Hey Rut, I just noticed your last name is Wood, I have family members with the same last name lol

rut, I can't believe that you wouldn't go above the 30 mph speed limit in the stage three mustang lol

Senior Member | IA Veteran Nismo's Avatar

When are you guys going to do a holiday episode like the sahara one? Or the bolivian one?
    Quote Originally Posted by blackboi50
    white power!!!!!! .....1

Quote Originally Posted by Nismo View Post
    When are you guys going to do a holiday episode like the sahara one? Or the bolivian one?
    Probably when they get the budget that TGUK has.

I haven't seen this week's episode yet... Gotta wait 'till I get back home.

So, I just got back into town and had a chance to watch last nights episode on the DVR...

INO, best episode yet in term of flow, editing the whole nine yards. And not to sound like I'm kissing ass. You carried that episode Rut. "Oh no I'm just stretching" caught me mid-drink and now my wife has to clean the carpet.

So it would be best for you to lay low for a day or two...

Awesome Rut.

Edit- When you told trump that the passenger seat could accommodate a baby seat.... The face you made .....

So priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    So, I just got back into town and had a chance to watch last nights episode on the DVR...

INO, best episode yet in term of flow, editing the whole nine yards. And not to sound like I'm kissing ass. You carried that episode Rut. "Oh no I'm just stretching" caught me mid-drink and now my wife has to clean the carpet.

So it would be best for you to lay low for a day or two...
    Agreed, IMO this was the best episode yet.

So the new episode is on now.

Rut has to wear his new hat the next time he gets back to Atlanta.

I'm impressed by the weight he's shed. It makes feel like I'm lazy... And it also makes me feel like I need a burrito to feed my shame.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Did someone say.
    burrito?
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

I did...

Although now I'm scared where this is going.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12