Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Support an IA member...watch Top Gear US on History Nov. 21 10pm

As Speedminded said above, it is by far the best American car show on T.V. today! I thought it was pretty damn good, and with a few years of the crew working together they will get to know each other and react to each other better and better.

My only gripes about the show are:

1. They need to put more emphasis on just what the Stig is. Don't just mention him as some poor schlub. He's the Goddamn Stig! Say his name with emphasis and talk him up like the car driving "God" that he his.

2. The Stig should be listening to music while he drives like the British version. I know they aren't trying to copy the British version, but for the most part it came out pretty much identical so whats one more thing?

3. Move the map out of the center of the screen when driving the course and put it up in the corner out of the way.

Other than that I look forward to more and more episodes!!!
    The Shitbox

Thanks guys for all the feedback and comments. It's great to hear how many of you went in with an open mind knowing the the TGUK show isn't going anywhere. It's a sister show, not a replacement show.

As you noticed, we definitely had to do some explanation of certain parts that won't be mentioned going forward...so that's why we had to do certain "house keeping" things. I thought it was a fun show and they get better and better, so I'm excited to see what people think as the season goes on.

The shaky camera in the Lambo that Tanner was in was because he's nuts. He ate up those $1300 tires sliding the car around that am, so when we went to do it, pieces of the tire were chunking off during the run....so that wasn't simply the camera. The car was going crazy...I'm not dumb enough to go that fast on crap tires, but I guess that's the difference between normal guys and racecar drivers. Brains.

Anywho, thanks again for watching and the support. Hope that everybody will keep watching and find more and more stuff to like. Next week's show has some great videos in it that you won't want to miss.

Rut
    BooB CreW What ?

One of IA's Awesome Mod's

NASCAR on SPEED's Fun Guy

HOST, Top Gear USA on History Channel starting late this Nov./Dec.

I liked it. The main issue I had was the explanations of the staple parts of the show, but I know that they weren't for your average Top Gear fan but for people unfamiliar with the concept. I also think the host interactions weren't as smooth as those on TGUK, but I think that issue will dissolve over the course of the season. I will continue watching with high hopes and I wish you the best of luck.
    UGA: Everybody is laughing at us this year.

I think with Adam Corolla and Leno it would be better. You of course can stay rut, as the only person on there who is somewhat cool. (Even though you do a nascrap show). lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Dollar View Post
    You haven't told anyone that those are my boobs in your avatar right? Wouldn't want people going crazy or anything...I know how you get jealous

LOL at WERA board responses:

Quote Originally Posted by WERAmember View Post
    What's with the bearded gay guy? Is he supposed to be Hammond?
    Omg this show is soooo bad. The hosts are lame, the camaras sux and they talk to you like your a moron. is their some site we can got to and tell history to drop it? I'm gona have to watch some real Top Gear just to get this lame show out of my head. I think the vietnam special will do just fine. Also we need to post on top gears website and let them know how lame the u.s. version is.

Quote Originally Posted by WERAmember70 View Post
    I would watch it if the hosts were Tanner Foust, Paul Tracy and Travis Pastrana. Who are those other two guys?
    I could deal with Tanner being snarky while hes putting a car on the ragged edge.
    THose other 2 moes... they shouldnt be allowed to talk or drive.
    The Brits...whether they have the driving skill or not... gloss over than detail with personality. Youd rather listen to what they are going to say next versus trying to find every flaw.
    Stig lap in the viper and lambo were ok. The American stig definitely lacks any personality.
    Quote Originally Posted by WERAmember 1 View Post
    Tanner is tolerable I guess... Hard to swallow, but I can handle it IF - IF they get someone else to fill in the other two...

The fat guy from NASCAR on SPEED is a complete moron and is simply to be used for comic relief. That's terrible. There are plenty of other guys that would have worked better. I can now see why Leno (Who would have been a great fit vs. lardo) backed out...

The other guy is pretty much in the middle. Pretty forgetable and honestly, the overall feel was cheap and poorly directed and done. I understand that the first Top Gear in the BBC were poorly done at first, but in today's directing, talent pool and the fact that this Top Gear is following a successful version that already exists, there's no real excuse.

I will give it another shot, but this is something I would expect from SPEED. I mean, is Britton just waiting around the corner?
    ok done..but damnnnnn See what happens when you take your "IA popularity" out to the real world who isn't going to blow smoke up your ass?

-Ant.
    Last edited by AnthonyF; 11-23-2010 at 09:52 PM.
    The Carbon Fibered R6

Anthony,

At some point you're going to have to sit yourself down and honestly admit that not only were you wrong about your ideas of me and my time on IA, but that I genuinely don't care about what you in particular think.

I'm in the public eye by choice. There's always going to be people that don't like me. You misunderstand my love of this online community that we're on as some sort of ego trip, and you're perception of it is off 100%.

I'm a relative no one to people who don't watch NASCAR on SPEED or visit NASCAR.com regularly. Do you think I got this show because I told them how much time I've spent on IA over the years ? I'm sorry to burst your bubble man. I want people on IA to know that a member of the boards is on there. I'm not looking for "kids" as you put it to hype me up.

I've got 15,000 people that follow me on Twitter that I share things with every day all in an effort of marketing...which is what I went to school for. So the next time I put something on here to share with people, stop yourself from thinking I'm doing it because I need a kid in high school to tell me I'm cool.

I helped build this site and shared the IA experience with tons of people over the years. I'm proud of that. Get over yourself.
    Rut
    BooB CreW What ?

I chuckle at the "American Stig lacks personality" comment. No shit, He's supposed to.
    The Shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
    I think with Adam Corolla and Leno it would be better. You of course can stay rut, as the only person on there who is somewhat cool. (Even though you do a nascrap show). lol
    Yeah from the beginning I always thought Leno would be perfect and replace Foust with Travis Pastrana. Foust is just awkward but the man can drive.

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by RutRoe View Post
    Anthony,

At some point you're going to have to sit yourself down and honestly admit that not only were you wrong about your ideas of me and my time on IA, but that I genuinely don't care about what you in particular think.

I'm in the public eye by choice. There's always going to be people that don't like me. You misunderstand my love of this online community that we're on as some sort of ego trip, and you're perception of it is off 100%.

I'm a relative no one to people who don't watch NASCAR on SPEED or visit NASCAR.com regularly. Do you think I got this show because I told them how much time I've spent on IA over the years ? I'm sorry to burst your bubble man. I want people on IA to know that a member of the boards is on there. I'm not looking for "kids" as you put it to hype me up.

I've got 15,000 people that follow me on Twitter that I share things with every day all in an effort of marketing...which is what I went to school for. So the next time I put something on here to share with people, stop yourself from thinking I'm doing it because I need a kid in high school to tell me I'm cool.

I helped build this site and shared the IA experience with tons of people over the years. I'm proud of that. Get over yourself.
    Rut
    LOL

sit down ant....

Joe

I just played the episode for my 14 yr old daughter. She had no idea who Rut is or any of the other cast was for that matter... She enjoyed the hell out of the episode. I have done my best to turn my oldest in to a tomboy/greasemonkey... and TopGear USA proved I'm on the right track. She was all like "Uhhhh, Rut could have pushed it a little harder... He should have won with that car."

That's my girl.

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

I'm sure Rut knows some sort of statistics for it but I'd be curious to know how a ballpark figure of how many viewers of TGUS had never watched TGUK.

I can sit for an hour and watch low res streaming YouTube videos of cars running the Texas mile or drifting on the street with a techno background music...yet people are griping about cars being pushed to their limits in a near cinema quality production. It's real cars, real stunts, being driven by real people. A few lines of commentary isn't going to ruin that for me!

Unknown

Why is everyone wanting to put Travis Pastrana on this show? Does anyone know how akward that dude is. I can only imagine him trying to host a television show that communicates with its audience in the way Top Gear does.

Some of us "hardcore" TGUK fans may see things that need improving in the US show, but at the end of the day it's still the best car show on TV here right now, and a huge part of the American viewing audience has no clue what Top Gear is or how it looks in it original form. This show is never going to be TGUK, the hosts are never going to be Clarkson, Hammond and May, and that's completely ok. I want to see a show where car guys have fun beating the hell out of cars that most of us could only dream of having a chance to drive and that's exactly what this show will be, and a whole lot more. Give the hosts a chance to deal with explaining the show to a US audience and have a chance to "gel" with each other in more than one episode and I think many people will really enjoy the show. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    Some of us "hardcore" TGUK fans may see things that need improving in the US show, but at the end of the day it's still the best car show on TV here right now, and a huge part of the American viewing audience has no clue what Top Gear is or how it looks in it original form. This show is never going to be TGUK, the hosts are never going to be Clarkson, Hammond and May, and that's completely ok. I want to see a show where car guys have fun beating the hell out of cars that most of us could only dream of having a chance to drive and that's exactly what this show will be, and a whole lot more. Give the hosts a chance to deal with explaining the show to a US audience and have a chance to "gel" with each other in more than one episode and I think many people will really enjoy the show. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the season.
    x2 - well said

For the others that don't believe it will be ok - watch a few episodes of the original Top Gear - '77-2001 series. That show was much more boring. Just imagine if they had axed it after one episode - you would have your current Top Gear, Top Gear Australia, or Fifth Gear.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    x2 - well said

For the others that don't believe it will be ok - watch a few episodes of the original Top Gear - '77-2001 series. That show was much more boring. Just imagine if they had axed it after one episode - you would have your current Top Gear, Top Gear Australia, or Fifth Gear.
    Hell, even watch series 1-2 of the current version of TGUK and it's pretty slow and uninspired. If everyone just jumped on the "this show sucks" bandwagon we wouldn't even have TGUK, much less TG Australia, Fifth Gear or TGUS.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

I'm sorry but I hated it, I couldn't even watch half of it. It's VERY dull, no funny comments, and even though you all aren't copying Top Gear UK it's hard to think you all aren't trying a LITTLE bit to throw in funny comments here and there with a hint of Clarkson, it just doesn't work.

I gave it a shot with a 100% open mind not comparing shows, just watching it as any other show, and had to turn it off.

The issue I see is loads and LOADS of Americans LOVE Top Gear UK even though they aren't into cars, this show seems to be aimed at "car people" and I don't see that being a big TV market. It's like Motor Trend with actors.

I was slightly disapointed as i was hoping for a differnt kind of humor like top gear uk but for a first run I wont lie it was realy good.
    Bad Rep for sticking up for friend Ill soon have the worst rep ever
    DRAGONITE

I liked that episode with the Evo X, it helped me convince the wife that I need one as a present to myself for graduating my Officer Basic Course. For that RutRoe, I will always be a fan of the show.
    92 EH2 - Current "We will build him, better, stronger, faster."
    98 EJ8 - Stolen ( Thieves)

This show is not all that it seems. They have TOOOOO many cuts and editing when testing the cars. Especially when they were testing the evo x. SO many things looked staged, cut action cut action cut action crap. If you look closely it's scene after scene, it's not continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Got Milk? View Post
    This show is not all that it seems. They have TOOOOO many cuts and editing when testing the cars. Especially when they were testing the evo x. SO many things looked staged, cut action cut action cut action crap. If you look closely it's scene after scene, it's not continues.
    From what I've heard is ALL of the Topgears, even Britain's, they do the race first to see who wins, then go and re-do it to tape and get the good action shots. They all do it.
    The Shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
    From what I've heard is ALL of the Topgears, even Britain's, they do the race first to see who wins, then go and re-do it to tape and get the good action shots. They all do it.
    Well I don't remember seeing any actual racing on the evo x episode. It was all staging and cuts to make it look all flashy. Britians Topgear actually shows them driving the car around the track, down the roads, with one camera shot, not cut action cut. Unless I missed something in the evo x disregard my comment. Because all I saw is cut action cut action.

3 episodes in and it isn't getting any better, thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Dollar View Post
    You haven't told anyone that those are my boobs in your avatar right? Wouldn't want people going crazy or anything...I know how you get jealous

Well I don't remember seeing any actual racing on the evo x episode. It was all staging and cuts to make it look all flashy. Britians Topgear actually shows them driving the car around the track, down the roads, with one camera shot, not cut action cut. Unless I missed something in the evo x disregard my comment. Because all I saw is cut action cut action.
    What about all of the Britain ones where the Skiers, BMXers, or other "racers" just happen to magically be in the exact perfect spot to jump over the car and magically get that Perfect camera shot??? You think it happens like that every time just by shear luck?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
    3 episodes in and it isn't getting any better, thats for sure.
    I thought last nights episode was great. The hosts still need alot more interaction with each other to get used to one another, but other than that, still hands down the best American car show out there. I thought they improved massively over just three episodes. I can't wait to see how they interact with each other in a year or two.
    The Shitbox

There won't be a show in a year or two. The only positive reviews have been off this thread. Everywhere else I look it's insane bashing. I'll keep my mouth shut and keep hoping it gets better, but it just won't work out. NOBODY WANTS A CAR SHOW, they want entertainment. Not a souped up Motor Trend.

I think the main issue with the bashing is that everybody expects this to be on par with TGUK from day one. I have made the effort to view the show as a standalone, and I have enjoyed it thoroughly as a result. You can't find a winning formula with only three episodes of practice, especially since all the feedback comes after the whole season has been filmed (to my knowledge). I find this much more enjoyable than the same repeats of TGUK from 2007 that show on BBC America.
    UGA: Everybody is laughing at us this year.

NANNERPUSS

dude, i love the show... who ever though about a moonshine run. that was priceless and ive never seen another show with guts to actually try that. the info and tidbits that are in it are also great. i think its something to watch and i plan on watching all of them. keep up the great job rut. also, was that real shine in those bottles... i highly doubt that it was, but if it was, dam thats alot. o and whos the spike... whos the secret driver

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    There won't be a show in a year or two. The only positive reviews have been off this thread. Everywhere else I look it's insane bashing. I'll keep my mouth shut and keep hoping it gets better, but it just won't work out. NOBODY WANTS A CAR SHOW, they want entertainment. Not a souped up Motor Trend.
    A better idea for you - don't watch it, and you won't have to worry about it - or comment on it. Go watch Skating with the Stars, or something like that. Then you can sit back and be happy.

i think its fucking awsome, no were near as boreing as TGUK these are people that you can understand,, lol

Quote Originally Posted by jdmshytyo87 View Post
    i think its fucking awsome, no were near as boreing as TGUK these are people that you can understand,, lol
    Retard of the month goes to^

I don't think that's the case Simon. Not everyone loved TGUK. I do, you may, but clearly that person does not.

I know it's hard sometimes for you to accept when people feel differently, but that's just life

Thanks for watching ! Ratings went up - special thanks to Simon and Anthony for watching.
    BooB CreW What ?

I think you should punch Tanner in the face, maybe that will loosen him up, but it has potential to be a great show!

Can't wait to see the Z31 perform (or not) this week!

watched it, been watching it, even repeats, lol
    According to Taketomi, true VIP style tuning is limited to only 10 Nissan and Toyota models: Nissan President, Cima, Gloria, Cedric and Fuga; Toyota Celsior, Century, Aristo, Crown and Majesta.

What about all of the Britain ones where the Skiers, BMXers, or other "racers" just happen to magically be in the exact perfect spot to jump over the car and magically get that Perfect camera shot??? You think it happens like that every time just by shear luck?

I thought last nights episode was great. The hosts still need alot more interaction with each other to get used to one another, but other than that, still hands down the best American car show out there. I thought they improved massively over just three episodes. I can't wait to see how they interact with each other in a year or two.

Mr. Captain Obvious, I didn't say TopGear Britian didn't have staged stuff. They have staged stuff and professional racing around the tracks, what I see on the US version is all cuts and editing from what I've seen so far. But I did only see the evo episode, so what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmshytyo87 View Post
    What the fuck did you just say?

Mr. Captain Obvious, I didn't say TopGear Britian didn't have staged stuff. They have staged stuff and professional racing around the tracks, what I see on the US version is all cuts and editing from what I've seen so far. But I did only see the evo episode, so what do I know.

I haven't seen a British version yet that hasn't has cut, action, cut, action. I have never saw an episode where they do a constant one camera view around the track. Now granted I know shit about cinematography (hell I prob spelled it wrong) so there is a good chance I'm not understanding exactly what you're typing.
    The Shitbox

Come on people, TGUS is a big step up from the previous "top US car show" - PINKS. We should be happy that car guys finally have a US show that has a decent format, and has room to grow and develop. Each episode has been better than the last, IMO.
    Watch teh first season, then come up with ideas for improvement, and post them. This is the one TV show where the host might actually listen to ideas. I can't believe that people would actually complain about that.

I haven't seen a British version yet that hasn't has cut, action, cut, action. I have never saw an episode where they do a constant one camera view around the track. Now granted I know shit about cinematography (hell I prob spelled it wrong) so there is a good chance I'm not understanding exactly what you're typing.
    You could be right, I only watched few of each. I don't find these shows interesting at all. They try too hard too be funny on both of them, and they fail hard.

we need to give this a chance cause im sure tguk had the same feed back when they started but they made it better im sure this will too. personally i think its great especially how its actually teaches people a bit more about cars and racing. like the moonshine episode i know plenty of people that like to watch nascar but didnt know that the sport sarted from moonshine runs. i will be staying tuned in cause no matter how much you think you know about cars you will always find out that you dont know nearly as much as you think you do. i cant wait for the next episode

Love the show bro way better than the BBC one to me, I hate their accents. Plus it's cool to know there are still cool people that don't let success get to their heads, Hell you live in my town and it's like Bum phuck Egypt out here. DVR is set to record.
    Work in progressneed slicks!

BFE in the house! Thank you guys again for the feedback and for watching. Wait till you guys see the Ford Raptor on this week's show. Insane.
    BooB CreW What ?

^^

Who are you? Are the the little bigger guy with the beard?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast