Thread: Need your advice

Default Need your advice

So here is the deal. I found an ad on CL wanting someone to rebuild the top end of a jet ski engine in trade for a bass boat that had a locked up engine. I went and checked out the boat and agreed to rebuild the top end for the boat.

I built the engine as promised with new pistons and rings, wrist pin bearings, gaskets etc. I broke the engine in properly and had good compression on all 3 cylinders after break in. I rode the ski about 6 hours the following day and then returned the ski to the owner the day after that. When I returned the ski it was out of gas and oil (oil injected) and forgot to fill it up so I told him it was out. I get a call from him 2 days later saying it was knocking and wouldn't run after 15 minutes on the lake. I got the ski back (full of gas and oil) and its got low compression on 2 cylinders now. The plugs were also dry, as if it had been ran out of oil. To me it looks like the engine was run out of oil and therefor the issue now. Again, it ran strong for me for 6 hours without any problems.

Now I don't know where to go from here. The boat was claimed to have been in the water all summer until a month ago when the engine locked up. After getting the boat home I find that the steering doesn't work properly, all the fuel/oil lines are cracked/broken/leaking. There is screws ran from inside the hull that go through the outside of the hull on the right hand side (was against a fence and couldn't see the right side when looking at it). I was also told the engine ran strong prior to it locking up but it has low compression on one cylinder and will not even run in the water due to lack of compression. The lower unit was locked up, not the engine thus now the engine runs but not as claimed.

Where do I go now? I built the engine as promised and feel he forgot to put oil in the ski and caused the current damage. The boat I got was not as described.
    BMW 750iL

No idea man, tough call

At this point I am willing to split the cost of an SBT rebuilt engine ($1000) with him and install it. Sound fair?
    BMW 750iL

Have any paper work at hand before you did the work?

Quote Originally Posted by NewGen33
    Have any paper work at hand before you did the work?
    None and no warranty expressed or implied, by either party.
    BMW 750iL

Certified Gearhead

Yeah 50/50 sounds fair on both of yall, sucks it turned out that way but sometimes shit happens.
    doin a burnout

don't warranty the parts, that's not your deal.

you did the labor, the ski ran fine after the labor was complete, i'd be more inclined to offer to rebuild it free of charge but he has to pay for parts since the boat wasn't as described
    -2001 Lexus IS300
    -2004 Pontiac GTO - 530hp/625ft lbs - 10.62@130mph - Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    I got five on it, that if this guy ever does meet Evil Goat he shits his pants and says nothing.

Im with goat on this one. But its your call man.Seems like you got screwed on the boat anyways since you didn't see all the things wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Goat
    don't warranty the parts, that's not your deal.

you did the labor, the ski ran fine after the labor was complete, i'd be more inclined to offer to rebuild it free of charge but he has to pay for parts since the boat wasn't as described
    Exactly. I even have at least 10-15 people that will vouch for it being on the lake 5-6 hours and running strong all day.
    BMW 750iL

the B the R the O the O the K the L the Y the N it's brooklynnnnn

Just drink some bleach, that will solve everything.