Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious Question: Need Help, Please.

Default Serious Question: Need Help, Please.

Long story short: Bought a car with the ex... Both of our names are on the car, I'm the co-signer. When we split, his GRANDMOTHER harrassed the **** out of me to give the car back (even though I made the payments AND put $4 G's into the damn thing as the down payment)

I got tired of the harrassment and dropped the car off. The next day, she gave it to someone else, they "took over the payments;" however, the car is still in MY name... (Keep in mind, his grandmother's name is NO WHERE on that car) They are always late, but never 30 days. I'm scared they are going to fucc up my credit and my car is about to go ku-put and can't get another loan because that car is still on my credit...

Also, I don't have insurance on it, the ex does. Should I call my insurance company to find out what I need to do?

What can I do? Can I report it stolen without having insurance?!
    :boobies: & = :idb:

HOLY WOW...BUMP FOR SOME SERIOUS LIFE LAXATIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

MOST HATED

Contact the finance company and see if there's any way that you can be taken off the contract.

Other than that, I don't know what recourse you have but you shouldn't have given his grandmother a car that you have financed in your name but I guess you know that now.

Check with the financing company would be my guess. They will know what you signed and whats in your terms.

Also a big one would be are you on the title, becuase if not the only say so you will have on that car would be responsible for making payments if he doesnt.
    ~In life it's most important to find a world that belongs to us. Life is meaningful only when we can find this world.~

........... hmmmmm now that's what i call a sticky situation...

Just go blow up his house, get your car back, pimp slap the old lady, and enjoy life!
    Ballin' on a Budget

LOL.. I like the last response the best. LOL!

Yes, I'm on the loan, hence, CO-SIGNER status...

I've contacted the finance company and he has to re-finance the car; however, he won't do that.. he's a ****, go figure.

Ohhh sh*t. This is going to be ugly.

Interwebs terrorist Friggintitsman's Avatar

Tie the old bag to her bed and burn her house to the ground.
    I thrive on caffineand HATE

Id say contact an attorney and take legal action. He could be forced to sell the car as both of you are owners to pay off the loan. But reporting it stolen wont get you anywhere with insurance cause he is the policy holder
    Ballin' on a Budget

Feed her jimsonweed causing her to slip into senility. Then put her in the worst retirement home you can find.

Hide her depends and put gorilla glue on her dentures.

IA's Custom PC Junky eViLMunkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cav-E-R
    Long story short: Bought a car with the ex... Both of our names are on the car, I'm the co-signer. When we split, his GRANDMOTHER harrassed the **** out of me to give the car back (even though I made the payments AND put $4 G's into the damn thing as the down payment)

I got tired of the harrassment and dropped the car off. The next day, she gave it to someone else, they "took over the payments;" however, the car is still in MY name... (Keep in mind, his grandmother's name is NO WHERE on that car) They are always late, but never 30 days. I'm scared they are going to fucc up my credit and my car is about to go ku-put and can't get another loan because that car is still on my credit...

Also, I don't have insurance on it, the ex does. Should I call my insurance company to find out what I need to do?

What can I do? Can I report it stolen without having insurance?!
    well since you have a majority of the payment receipts and bills the car is technically yours and grandmah can go screw herself w/ her bengay... but I'd consult an attorney about this one

MOST HATED

Damn, basically you're screwed.
    I think considering the recent events that you've shared on IA, he most likely won't want to help you out in any way....

I've contacted the finance company and he has to re-finance the car; however, he won't do that.. he's a ****, go figure.
    whoaz

so...basically...if i were u..i'd get the car back, and refinance in your name...and do your thing and tell them to stfu and stick a m80 in their ass

You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Quote Originally Posted by soulassassin
    Hide her depends and put gorilla glue on her dentures.

I certianly wouldnt allow them to drive the car around with it still under my credit.....what happens when they do just decide to stop paying, you're credit suffers. I would have the grandmother, being that she is the one harrassing you, find a resolution to the problem. Tell her you have spoken to a lawyer, and were told that she must have it taken off your credit/find the necessary means to have it done or you will be forced to take legal action.
    -Super cool .gif TO UNBAN JITB, JM, Buttons AND NEMISIS here-

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFresh
    Damn, basically you're screwed.
    I think considering the recent events that you've shared on IA, he most likely won't want to help you out in any way....
    And that means what exactly?! Like, what does IA have to do with this?!

And that means what exactly?!
    basically how much of an ass your ex husband/baby daddy is...he's gona screw u over

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich
    basically how much of an ass your ex husband/baby daddy is...he's gona screw u over
    It's not my baby's daddy.

whoaz...*shock*

LOL.. I like the last response the best. LOL!

Yes, I'm on the loan, hence, CO-SIGNER status...

Get a lawyer
    -Super cool .gif TO UNBAN JITB, JM, Buttons AND NEMISIS here-

MOST HATED

And that means what exactly?!

Exactly what it means.

Seems like there has been a lot of anymosity on both ends and for you to expect that this would be any different is unrealistic.

its not her baby daddy..its her ex-bf...i thought it was the baby's daddy

MOST HATED

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich
    its not her baby daddy..its her ex-bf...i thought it was the baby's daddy

Oh.

IA KING

repo the car and sell it... i had a similiar situation you better nip it in the butt now ... i found out after 6 months of late payments had been made

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    repo the car and sell it... i had a similiar situation you better nip it in the butt now ... i found out after 6 months of late payments had been made
    PM me and tell me what to do?

you better nip it in the butt now
    QFT

IA KING

PM me and tell me what to do?
    you need to make sure all of the laws are the same but i had this same exact situation probably 5-6 years ago... you can repo a car if your name is on it - i was told at the time if you have your name on a title you have rights to the car. you can literally go pick the car up and do w/ what you will b/c your name is on the loan. i would call local PD to confirm also you may need to get w/ them to do repo...

unfortunately it was too late for me they had already had 4x 30 day late payments and 2x 90 day late payments... it will take 7 years to get this off your credit good luck.

similar situation last night but the girl was blind sided when we showed up at her house looking for the car. it WILL hurt ur credit as a co-signer. I know u said ur name is on the loan... but is it anywhere on the title at the finance company?! if not u dont have much say so in going through insurance company to try to fix it. if you get a lawyer notirized letter from the county you live in and notirized that the law applies in the county the car is in. a repossession company can pick it up. alot of liability lies in the repo company once picked up so a good amount will say no they wont. I will call our larger finance companies we repo for tomorrow and ask if we are allowed to secure the unit away from whoever is driving it at the moment til it is figured out and let you know. i know we did this for a lady yesterday and there were no issues but right now the car sits on our lot with no one able to get it until the finance company sends a release hold harmless form to us with which persons are allowed to redeem the unit. ill get back to ya with what i can find out.

You def need to get your name away from that car and loan. It would be in better interest for both parties to both come to an agreement and either just sell the car and split it down the middle and call it a day. OR hopefully you have receipts showing the $4000 you put down and whatever payments you made and take it all to an attorney and also inform them of the harassing grandmother who at this point it really not a player in the big scheme of things, it all boils down to you and the ex or whomever is on the loan paperwork with you.

First thing is first, the car needs to be off the road and not driven anymore until this situation is handled because you do not want something to happen to the car and be stuck with the bill. Call the family up and be polite about it first, and then if all else fails, you can threaten the family that you will notify the police that the car is stolen....granted this is mainly a scare tactic, but you could indeed do it as your name is on the loan and you have no idea on the whereabouts of your car and it will be a HUGE hassle for whoever is driving the car.

Gather up all documents ie: loan paperwork, payment receipts and or checks that have been validated for evidence. Make a note of every conversation from here on out with the family, and be sure to note the time/date and how the conversation went calm/friendly/violent. All cases that I have seen with my sister always boils down to evidence, notations, paperwork....if you want to take it that far, as long as you have every communication between yourself and the family notated, and they are the unwilling party, the judge will more than likely side with you, so be prepared.

You are the victim here, you got bullied by the grandmother....you are a single mother just trying to stay afloat, and you caved in because you were under enough stress as is....that is your story and stick to it.

unfortunately, my sister is an attorney here in Columbus and she'd be able to help you out if you were in Muscogee county because she's pretty well in with the DA, and Judges....and she would not have the time to work cases in ATL, but I'll see if she has any hookups that way.

seriously though......car is in your name, and you do not drive it, and don't know exactly who is or where it is....that's a HUGE problem.

Fvck it report that sh!t stolen.

you need to make sure all of the laws are the same but i had this same exact situation probably 5-6 years ago... you can repo a car if your name is on it - i was told at the time if you have your name on a title you have rights to the car. you can literally go pick the car up and do w/ what you will b/c your name is on the loan. i would call local PD to confirm also you may need to get w/ them to do repo...

unfortunately it was too late for me they had already had 4x 30 day late payments and 2x 90 day late payments... it will take 7 years to get this off your credit good luck.
    this is what i was trying to to tell you earlier.

the car is in your name whether insurance is or not. its your car. just get it back, sell it, pay the financial institution and tada.

Okay.. Here's what I've done.

First, I called my insurance company to find out what to do. They were pretty much clueless, but they did tell me:

#1. You can not insure a vehicle that you do not own or is not in your name.
    #2. I legally have to have MY name on that car since I am the co-borrower and in the paperwork from Wachovia it states my name must be on all paperwork regarding insurance.
    #3. If the car is wrecked and myself or the ex isn't driving it, the car WILL be
    covered IF there is a FULL-COVERAGE policy held on the vehicle AND the
    person driving the car does NOT live with myself or the ex; however,
    when or IF the case goes to court and the person driving the car can be
    proven to be the main driver of the car, the insurance company will NOT
    pay for the wreck no matter whos fault it may be. That's called Insurance Fraud and is frowned upon.
    #4. I'm a complete dumbass for buying the car in the first place with a signer that is not family. (ie. Mom, Dad, Bro, HUSBAND, etc.)

Second, I contacted the dealership where I bought the car to get an additional key made. Unfortunately, I can not have a key made for the car w/o the vehicle present because the key has a chip that must be programmed to the car. (Bummer)

Third, I contacted Gainesville City Police Dept. I can report the car stolen and when they find it, they will have the vehicle towed to the local Chrysler dealership to have a key made (provided that the person driving the car is unwilling to give up the key).

Fourth, I called my father to ask him what to do. He was clueless as well; however, he said he will back me in this situation in doing whatever I need to do. (Gotta love dads!!) He told me to have all of my ducks in a row and be ready for a war.

Fifth, I called the angry grandmother. She refuses to answer all calls from me. I left her a calm message stating that she has 24-hours to return my phone call and that I wanted to discuss them refinancing the car, selling the car or trading the car and getting it out of my name. I stated that if she wasn't compliant with my demands that I will report the car stolen. I also stated that I received a letter from the finance company reporting that the payment for the month of September was late.

I've made sure that everything I'm doing is 100% legal (I have quite a few law school friends as well as friends that are attorneys). The police said they will escort me in doing whatever I need to do to get MY car back. I have all the records of the checks written when I bought the car initially, as well as the receipts showing that I traded my Cavalier on the car. I have the insurance paperwork showing the VIN number and the tag receipt from when I bought the first tag. Plus my ID to prove that the car is mine.

So now, it's a waiting game until 5 pm today.

IA MEmber

get a lawyer

Sounds like you're getting things together. Good luck!

Lawyer may cost alot and take a longggg time....

If the car/title is under your name that means you have 100% rights to it...If he were trying to sell it he would need the title along with your information.....

Reporting it stolen may not be a bad idea but if the cops find it they may press charges on whoever has the car.

Basically just get with the grandma or the ex and threaten legal action if the car isn't returned.....You don't want to mess up your credit!

Quote Originally Posted by XLR8NMR2
    Lawyer may cost alot and take a longggg time....

Basically just get with the grandma or the ex and threaten legal action if the car isn't returned.....You don't want to mess up your credit!

sounds like she's already gotten the legal advice she needs.....but remember to take the ones who are in law school with a grain of salt as they have no real world experience and are text book knowledged only....that's why when they graduate, they get paid peanuts for their first few years.

Second, the grandmother can not and will not be held accountable in anything legal....her name isn't on any paper, she was just a third party who did the talking....this is between, Tiffany, her ex, and whomever has been taking over payments and driving the car.

The only reason Tiffany needs to talk with the grandmother is to get names and numbers....nothing else should really be discussed with grandma.

Proud to be Retrosexual Jaimecbr900's Avatar

As Paul said, you can technically repo the car yourself if you know where it is. If you have no written contract with whomever has possession of the car, then it's simply YOUR car. Personally, I wouldn't report it stolen unless it is last resort since you technically made a verbal deal with his grandmother. Now, since the "deal" was done with Granny, you could argue that since SHE is not the one making the payments nor driving it you could say that it is technically stolen too.

Personally.....I'd repo the car myself and call it a day. But repo'ing a car has to be done really quickly so they don't have time to either hide the car or tear it up. So I would do this like yesterday, Tiff.

When she doesn't call you w/i the 24 hrs you gave her, which she probably won't, I'd leave her another message telling her that you have reported the car stolen and whomever gets caught driving it will go to jail. Maybe that will light a fire under her and get her to give you the car back.

Getting the car back in your driveway is your best bet to get this cleared up. As long as it's in your name, other people don't have any incentive to make the payments on a timely basis.....there is no risk to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimecbr900
    As Paul said, you can technically repo the car yourself if you know where it is. If you have no written contract with whomever has possession of the car, then it's simply YOUR car. Personally, I wouldn't report it stolen unless it is last resort since you technically made a verbal deal with his grandmother. Now, since the "deal" was done with Granny, you could argue that since SHE is not the one making the payments nor driving it you could say that it is technically stolen too.

Personally.....I'd repo the car myself and call it a day. But repo'ing a car has to be done really quickly so they don't have time to either hide the car or tear it up. So I would do this like yesterday, Tiff.

When she doesn't call you w/i the 24 hrs you gave her, which she probably won't, I'd leave her another message telling her that you have reported the car stolen and whomever gets caught driving it will go to jail. Maybe that will light a fire under her and get her to give you the car back.

Getting the car back in your driveway is your best bet to get this cleared up. As long as it's in your name, other people don't have any incentive to make the payments on a timely basis.....there is no risk to them.
    That's my only prob. I have no key, although I do have a tow service... Plus, I don't have any clue where the car is!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast