Thread: A Great Way To Say Thanks This Thanksgiving!

Default A Great Way To Say Thanks This Thanksgiving!

I think this is a great idea! I was listening to Q100 and they are trying to make it possible for every troop to receive a thank you card for Thanksgiving. It would take so little time but would mean so much. It really touched me when some troops were calling in all choked up about how much it meant to receive letters, even if it wasn't from someone they knew. Some of them were talking about how disheartening it was to see everybody else receive letters from their families and not get anything.

They need to collect 375,000 letters – enough for EVERY member of the U.S. military currently stationed outside of the country (not only Iraq) to receive one.

So please... Do your part!

Here are the details...
    http://www.allthehitsq100.com/bertsh...e.asp?id=12566

(mods, if possible... make this a sticky. thank you!)

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly
    They need to collect 375,000 letters –

I did my part. Here's my letter.

(mods, if possible... make this a sticky. thank you!)
    Why does everyone think that everything they post needs to be stickied? This is a great gesture and nice post and all, though. Later, QD.

This would be an excellent idea, and I agree that this should be stickied!

Quote Originally Posted by Init2winit
    This would be an excellent idea, and I agree that this should be stickied!
    Lolol @ anyone caring what you think. You already know. Later, QD.

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ
    http://www.daniellesplace.com/Images4/letterC72.gif

I did my part. Here's my letter.

Why does everyone think that everything they post needs to be stickied? This is a great gesture and nice post and all, though. Later, QD.
    Because those men and women are serving our country for idiots like you to have freedom of speech, and to do as you please. Among many other things, to say the least. The very least any of us can do is send a simple card expressing our thanks.

What I don't understand about this is why use a holiday to do this? Why do people think of themselves all throughout the year and then when Xmas, Easter or Thanksgiving comes around, THEN they want to think about those soldiers? Those guys/gals are over there 365 days a year. Not just during the holiday season. Why can't Q100 or whomever else just pick a random day like May 13 or October 12 or something and do this? Later, QD.

Because those men and women are serving our country for idiots like you to have freedom of speech, and to do as you please. Among many other things, to say the least. The very least any of us can do is send a simple card expressing our thanks.
    Your post, as with all others of yours, made zero sense in relation to mine. SO why did you bother? You trying to make sure everyone knows you're a goddamn **** up? Later, QD.

What I don't understand about this is why use a holiday to do this? Why do people think of themselves all throughout the year and then when Xmas, Easter or Thanksgiving comes around, THEN they want to think about those soldiers? Those guys/gals are over there 365 days a year. Not just during the holiday season. Why can't Q100 or whomever else just pick a random day like May 13 or October 12 or something and do this? Later, QD.
    For once I actually agree with you. Sad but true.

Sad but true.
    The agreeing with me or the post, lolol. Later, QD.

I am game for this

Didn't mean to start up any arguments. I just think it's a good gesture.

I just think it's a good gesture.
    I agree. 100%. But it shouldn't be a gesture only at holiday times. Don't get me wrong(for those who think I'm saying this thinking I'm against the war), but I'm not against what our military does for us at all. I don't agree with the "war" now, but I did when it first started. I just think it's ****ty to not do this throughout the year and wait until holiday time. I bet the soldiers miss their families all year and not just at Xmas. And vice versa for the families. Later, QD.

I agree. 100%. But it shouldn't be a gesture only at holiday times. Don't get me wrong(for those who think I'm saying this thinking I'm against the war), but I'm not against what our military does for us at all. I don't agree with the "war" now, but I did when it first started. I just think it's ****ty to not do this throughout the year and wait until holiday time. I bet the soldiers miss their families all year and not just at Xmas. And vice versa for the families. Later, QD.
    I concur!

2009 Lexus ES350

I see your point, but things hit harder during holiday times. Just like youd probably miss your family and loved ones just a tad bit more during Holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis
    I see your point, but things hit harder during holiday times. Just like youd probably miss your family and loved ones just a tad bit more during Holidays.
    I understand that, homeless. I just think that the gesture could still be used year round. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Well... Maybe this will be my first of many letters then...

IA Member

You are right, but holidays are typically choosen for activities such as this due to the significance of the day. Holidays are a time when most soldiers are most lonely / missing home the most.
    2003 Maxima SE
    2004 Quest

I understand that, homeless. I just think that the gesture could still be used year round. Later, QD.

And Im 99 percent sure they are companies/foundations/and non profit orgs that do provide this. Its just more visible during these times.

... i'm not positive, BUT i would say the majority of soldiers are more home sick during holidays when they would normally see their family.... friends.... and other loved ones...

i do agree that it shouldn't only be on holidays.. but should still be done on holidays as well.

Ya'll should read the whole thread before reposting the same thing 3 times...

It's true though, nontheless

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin200sx
    Holidays are a time when most soldiers are most lonely / missing home the most.
    You know what, as much sense it your post makes, I don't agree. When you're gone for months at a time(possibly years), it doesn't take a Thanksgiving or an Xmas to miss the **** out of your family. And the family to miss the serviceman. Later, QD.

You know what, as much sense it your post makes, I don't agree. When you're gone for months at a time(possibly years), it doesn't take a Thanksgiving or an Xmas to miss the **** out of your family. And the family to miss the serviceman. Later, QD.
    You're missing the point though. Its like having an ex-girlfriend you cared about that is no longer there. You miss them, but you miss them more at times you shared together.

IA Member

Nobody will argue with you there. However, for the rest of us to express our thanks for their service, it is probably the best time. It would be impractical for the non-family members to send each service person a letter every day. That is the point.
    2003 Maxima SE
    2004 Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis
    You're missing the point though. Its like having an ex-girlfriend you cared about that is no longer there. You miss them, but you miss them more at times you shared together.
    I'm not missing the point at all. I've stated before that I know exactly what is being done and said here. This isn't a complaint I am making. Just an observation as to why it take s holiday for people to show appreciation to those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin200sx
    However, for the rest of us to express our thanks for their service, it is probably the best time. It would be impractical for the non-family members to send each service person a letter every day. That is the point.
    Why would it be impractical? The people over there fighting aren't fighting for our right to have Xmas or Easter or any other holiday. They are fighting for our every day, run of the mill life. And doing this every day of the year. And who said anything about everyday? I'm talking about just a random day of the year not holiday related. I'm not arguing anything here, but it seems like you are trying to prove me wrong on something. Later, QD.

Bump... Not for political talk, just to let you know the deadline is FRIDAY.

Because holidays are when families get together?

Quote Originally Posted by GIXXERDK
    Because holidays are when families get together?
    So many people post without reading and they miss out on a lot. Later, QD.

Today's the deadline.

Take some letters to the nearest Taco Mac to you (any in or around the ATL area) if you feel the need.

*muah*