Thread: Question on stock SR20 turbo questions

Certified Gearhead

Default Question on stock SR20 turbo questions

Oops, forgive the redundancy of my thread title lol

I'm looking for basic info on the specs of the various SR20 turbos. The best I can gather the S14 SR20 turbo is a GT28R where as the S15 turbo is the GT28RS? I'm mostly looking for a basic primer on what turbos (and whether journal bearing or ball bearing) came on the various S chassis SR20 motors.

The reason being is I'm looking to upgrade the turbos on my 300ZXTT from wimpy T22s to better flowing T25s or T28s. If I can find a place that rebuilds SR20 turbos and get fresh ones with a T25 housing versus buying JWT Sport 500s for example with bored out T22 housings for roughly the same price, then I'd rather buy the turbo with the larger housing.

I know a lot of turbo shops that upgrade Z32 turbos bore out the stock T22 housing for T25 wheels or even T28 wheels but they aren't as efficient since a big wheel is stuffed in a small housing and they aren't matched so to speak. However, I would take a shot in the dark and guess that a T25 housing bored out for a T28 wheel would be more efficient than the T22 housing bored out for the T28 wheel. I have found one shop that sells the early SR20 turbos rebuilt for $500, or for extra they can bore it out and install the T28 wheel. I have emailed them to see if they use new CHRAs or just rebuild the original CHRA which I'm planning on steering clear if it's not a new CHRA.

Anyways, some info you guys could pass along would be greatly appreciated since soooooooooooooo many people on here use SR20s, or fantasize about using an SR20.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Certified Gearhead

Um, what? Appears to be a setup for a single turbo but not interested in going that route. I don't want to have to change a bunch of stuff on the car just to accommodate a turbo upgrade. That's why I'm interested in info on using slightly larger SR turbos on the VG.

IA's Biggest Grouch

I would also like to know since I'm interested in running an sr20 turbo on my Miata.

I've heard of people using the twin T25 set up for the 300zx off an S13 sr20, i'd say go that route since you can purchase a used T25 for $120-$150 and buy a rebuild kit for like $90 is necessary. Also i feel like if you used the T28 you'd have to use black magic to squeeze them in so that they're not awkwardly angled or smashed against something, but thats just a guess since im not that familiar with the 300zx powerplant.

I'm not an SR expert, but I do know that all the t25's are journal bearing. The t28's (I think) are all ball bearing. The s15 turbo is the most sought after one, but I believe the automatic cars and some random ones came with the s14 style turbo. I also doubt you will get a new CHRA for $500, the cheapest option on ATP is $728.

I've had gpop shop rebuild a t25 before and it was well worth it. It worked just like new and they didn't use a new CHRA. Maybe the 300zx is more picky than an SR, but I would trust a reputable shop to reuse one.
    1993 240SX single cam