Thread: The Irony of President Obamas speech on UE Benefits

Default The Irony of President Obamas speech on UE Benefits

Flanked by a bunch of people Obama gave a very interesting speech yesterday. We are now approaching another argument over whether we should extend UE Benefits to 99 weeks. Here are the FACTS:

Unemployment Benefits were TEMPORARILY extended in 2007/2008 Global recession to 99 weeks (up from 6 months) to help people recently fired/laid off
    The Recession ended in July of 2009
    The Labor Participation Rate is at an all time low (meaning people in the work force have stopped working because of lack of jobs or other reasons)

This is really not partisan at all, but small minded people will view it this way. Let me ask a few questions:

1) IF the economy is out of a recession (which by all normal measuring metrics , we are) why are we debating extending UE benefits 4.5 years PAST when the recession ended?
    Option 1: the recession is over, but the recovery is anemic and people cannot find work or work they WANT (IE the guy with a 4 year CIS degree is working at Mcdonalds)
    Option 2: the reason to extend UE benefits is to buy votes by giving people other peoples money. Obama actually said that giving UE benefits to people creates jobs. WHAT? They why dont we pay everyone not to work?

OBAMA: Independent economists have shown that extending emergency unemployment insurance actually helps the economy, actually creates new jobs. When folks like Katherine have a little more to spend, to turn up the heat in her house or buy a few extra groceries, that means more spending with businesses in her local community, which in turn may expire that person to hire one more person.

2) 5 years into HIS ADMINISTRATION, he is saying that people are hurting, out of work, and need help. Isnt that an indictment on him and his policies (or lack of policies)? Its funny to me how he is basically admitting his own policies have failed people, and he is parading the same people he has failed behind him in this photo.

3) The name they keep pushing is "Emergency UE BEnefits" which have been in effect since 2008. When does the Emergency end?

4) The cost of extending these benefits is estimated to be around 6 billion. If 1 Trillion in stimulus spending got us basically 1% lower in UE.......why is 6 billion this magical number that is going to keep the economy going?

5) Contradictory Statement #2
    OBAMA: I've heard the argument that says extending unemployment insurance will somehow hurt the unemployed because it saps their motivation to get a new job. I -- I -- I really want to -- I want to (pause) go at this for a second. Y'know, I -- I, uhhh --

OBAMA: That really sells the American people short. I meet a lot of people as president of the United States, and as a candidate for president of the United States, and as a US senator and as a state senator. I, uh, I -- I meet a lot of people. And I can't -- I can't name a time where I met an American who would rather have an unemployment check than the pride of havin' a job.
    Says people dont want an UE check, but is arguing to give people UE checks because it creates jobs (despite having no data to prove this). Seems legit
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

The Obama Economy has not worked, it is hurting the very people that he is trying to help. 5 years of his policies have not changed anything. His PLAN is to extend UE for 99 weeks to people , thats it.

Hes not serious about creating jobs, or getting people better jobs. He never has been.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

99 weeks is a bit ridiculous...why not provide some kind of skills training or education to these people while they are getting the benefits? I collected unemployment for 4 months back in 2011. All you had to do to continue receiving your check was to fill out an online form that you applied for 2 jobs that week ( enter company name and where you found the job listed ). It is completely bogus. How about you make a mandatory 4 hour class once a week that provides training/education for the unemployed to make them more employable. If they miss the training..no check that week. I mean come on man...in 99 weeks you could easily get at the least some kind of continued education or an Associates Degree....smh
    riding for God crew member #1

IA Domestic Alliance

why would people on ue work? they have no incentive to, they can just sit at home at collect ue. ue is designed now to give people money so they will continue to vote for democrats, since democrats always say "vote for us or the republicans will take your ue away"

To me its just laughable to have him sit up there and tout UE benefits as job creators. Pay these people to be Unemployed so they can create jobs.

Well, why not just pay everybody not to work? Pay more people not to work. Its the dumbest argument i have EVER HEARD.

The real problem is the economy isnt working for people, and its 50% Obamas fault, he just wont take responsibility. Funny how during the 2012 election it was all "the economy is ROARING BACK!" now we are talking about EMERGENCY UE benefits being extended for people he promised to help 5 years ago.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Every time I see him talking about how we need to extend UE benefits all I can think of is how ironic it is that he basically acknowledging his policies have failed. He hasn't done what he promised, period. I'm sure Blank will be glad to explain to us how this is either Bush's fault or the evil greedy corporations fault.

Do you have to pass a drug test to receive UE benefits?

BRB conducting telephone survey
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    2) 5 years into HIS ADMINISTRATION, he is saying that people are hurting, out of work, and need help. Isnt that an indictment on him and his policies (or lack of policies)?
    How so? What policies specifically do you believe have failed?

5) Contradictory Statement #2

Says people dont want an UE check, but is arguing to give people UE checks because it creates jobs
    What exactly was contradictory?

(despite having no data to prove this). Seems legit
    Data: (Took me all of .25 seconds to find)
    CBO | Unemployment Insurance in the Wake of the Recent Recession

But given your steadfast commitment to impartiality, I'm sure you've already seen this?

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    How so? What policies specifically do you believe have failed?
    His policy of giving UE benefits to everyone for 5 years, without reproach, and stimulus spending.

you cant say the economy is recovering and out of the same mouth say we need EMERGENCY UE BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE HURTING. hes responsible for their hurting. hes done nothing to make it better

What exactly was contradictory?
    Ive never met anyone who wanted an UE check over a job
    then
    UE checks create jobs
    He is arguing that people dont want UE checks, while arguing that we need to give people UE checks. FOR 99 WEEKS, 5 YEARS AFTER A RECESSION ENDED

Data: (Took me all of .25 seconds to find)
    CBO | Unemployment Insurance in the Wake of the Recent Recession

But given your steadfast commitment to impartiality, I'm sure you've already seen this?
    99 weeks is how long Blank, in years. Ill wait.

UE is going to end for people its not 5 years, so numbers will go up and down, thats not the argument. The argument is why are we doing it for 99 weeks in the first place?
    -www.usedbarcode.net

His policy of giving UE benefits to everyone for 5 years, without reproach, and stimulus spending.
    What are you measuring this policies failure against?

He is arguing that people dont want UE checks, while arguing that we need to give people UE checks. FOR 99 WEEKS, 5 YEARS AFTER A RECESSION ENDED
    Still not sure what is contradictory.

Is it unfathomable that someone would rather be employed than take UE benefits, and the benefits themselves still have a stimulus effect? Not sure how the two are exclusive.

The argument is why are we doing it for 99 weeks in the first place?
    Why not?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Rumor on the street is that if you give people money, theyre more likely to spend it and when people spend money, it stimulates the economy.

I suggest we all quit working.

Quote Originally Posted by 04sidriver View Post
    why would people on ue work? they have no incentive to, they can just sit at home at collect ue. ue is designed now to give people money so they will continue to vote for democrats, since democrats always say "vote for us or the republicans will take your ue away"
    And just because I feel like droppin the knowledge; since 1935, when social welfare started, it has survived 13 administrations, 6 republicans, 2 of which had expanded the UEI program, and 7 democrats including Obama. So your argument doesn't hold much weight.

And the notion that people are become lazy when given assistance is unfounded, and as it turns out, the opposite is true

So there's that.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    99 weeks is a bit ridiculous...why not provide some kind of skills training or education to these people while they are getting the benefits?
    More government bureocracy.

I collected unemployment for 4 months back in 2011.
    Surely, you lost your incentive to work and became a lazy leach on society, who would have rather collected a healthy $2-300 a month than what you previously made? Or not?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

More government bureocracy.
    I have no problem with more government bureaucracy* if it something that will actually produce results and actually better peoples lives. Continued education and skills training is never a waste...I can think of many other government programs/agencies that are a waste.

Surely, you lost your incentive to work and became a lazy leach on society, who would have rather collected a healthy $2-300 a month than what you previously made? Or not?
    Actually, I though it was pretty cake and i did get a little lazy. Heck, I was getting $300 a week for absolutely nothing...it was a big pay cut but i could sit at home and play Call of Duty. The reason i got up and got a job was simply because i got bored.

There is no recovery to this economy...this economy is false. Spurred by unprecedented money being pumped in by the Fed. How do i know this? It is my job to know this. I sell money all day every day. Any body that is tied into the Finance industry knows this to be true. FREE MONEY Lending!!!! That is was is holding up this economy.
    riding for God crew member #1

IA Domestic Alliance

I say we suspend all welfare programs for 6 months and then conduct a telephone survey at the end of it to see how things worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    I say we suspend all welfare programs for 6 months and then conduct a telephone survey at the end of it to see how things worked out.
    on board
    -www.usedbarcode.net

And the notion that people are become lazy when given assistance is unfounded, and as it turns out, the opposite is true

So there's that.
    And then there's North Carolina.

Here's what the Daily Kos (a reputable news source INORITE) thought of it as it passed. Sadly they have never gone back to this story? Wonder why???
    Daily Kos: North Carolina plans massive unemployment insurance cuts to protect low business taxes

Examining North Carolina

Oh, that's why. Although it's "not conclusive" yet. wink wink

404nopeerreviewtelephonecognitivedissonancefound

EXCELLENT JOBS coming out, 74000 jobs created in DEC. Such recovery , big wow, such boom
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Labor force size: +38k in September, -848k in October, +659k in November, -347k in December (2013 avg -45k/month)
    GREAT work Obama, excellent. Averaging MINUS 45,000 jobs a month , i applaud you.

IN RECOVERY DOE
    -www.usedbarcode.net

GREAT work Obama, excellent. Averaging MINUS 45,000 jobs a month , i applaud you.

IN RECOVERY DOE
    But but but UE is under 7% now, the stimulus worked! The economy is great, so many people are back to work that we're under 7% UE! See, all you right wing nutjobs just didn't give 0bama a chance.

Oh, wait, The Labor Force Participation rate dropped to 62.8%, lowest level since 1978. Hmmmm, average loss of 45k jobs per month last year, labor participation rate lowest in 36 years........but hey UE is under 7% so everything is on the right track, right? RIGHT?

SHould be no need for UE Benefits now right? I mean UE is dropping!
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Unemployment rate is at the lowest level it's been since 2008, we need to extend emergency UE benefits because people are struggling. Not contradictory at all.

LOL

U6 is still over 13% btw.

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Hey guys!!

Guys.

Guys... I have an idea.

Since the we are practically back to full employment, let's pass immigration reform and dump millions more workers to do the jobs that Americans won't do.

I used thinkprogress's article because I wanted to provide non-biased, peer-reviewed article that had graphs to illustrate for you plebeians the real science behind it done by scientists that came to a consensus and formed a scientific hypothesis which then became scientific theory after rigorous testing in a lab. They wore white coats and had beakers and Bunsen burners around them, so you know it was legit. There can be no disputing these facts
    When Baby Boomers Retire, Immigrants And Their Kids Will Fill Their Jobs | ThinkProgress

I love how liberals turned the illegals into immigrants. It really makes their argument for them. Who would be against immigration as we are all immigrants or decedents of immigrants?

On another note, the US education system creates plenty of barely educated people for low rent jobs. We dont need illegals or those kids for those jobs. We need to start recruiting kids with intelligence and motivation to come to the US and work in our economy.

I cant believe there isnt a thread on this yet.

December jobs report was released yesterday. UE dropped to 6.7% on a net jobs gain of 78k jobs. Why? Because over 300k people disappeared from the labor market. We now have the lowest labor participation rate since Jimmy Carter was squatting in the Whore House.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. I expect to see even worse numbers in Feb with all of the seasonal workers getting the post christmas pink slip.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    I love how liberals turned the illegals into immigrants. It really makes their argument for them. Who would be against immigration as we are all immigrants or decedents of immigrants?

On another note, the US education system creates plenty of barely educated people for low rent jobs. We dont need illegals or those kids for those jobs. We need to start recruiting kids with intelligence and motivation to come to the US and work in our economy.
    You're right.... there's an abundance of uneducated people who are capable of doing low rent jobs...... but they all vote(democrat) for a living.

I think it should be a law to pay illegal immigrants minimum wage. Two reasons why.

1 - It'll remove the incentive for employers to hire them as cheap labor, since it won't be as cheap.

2 - It'll quit giving entitled assholes a reason to say they can't find a job because the illegals took them all. Too many dipshits with liberal arts degrees think that plumbing and construction work is beneath them.

Also, if said assholes went to trade school instead of feeling they HAVE to have a four year degree, colleges would be making less money and would have to lower tuition costs again in order to survive.

Just some of my unpopular opinion thoughts.
    -91 240SX -- CA18 Power...SOLD, now terrorizing the streets of Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by AFSil80 View Post
    I think it should be a law to pay illegal immigrants minimum wage. Two reasons why.

1 - It'll remove the incentive for employers to hire them as cheap labor, since it won't be as cheap.

2 - It'll quit giving entitled assholes a reason to say they can't find a job because the illegals took them all. Too many dipshits with liberal arts degrees think that plumbing and construction work is beneath them.

Also, if said assholes went to trade school instead of feeling they HAVE to have a four year degree, colleges would be making less money and would have to lower tuition costs again in order to survive.

Just some of my unpopular opinion thoughts.
    It's already a law to pay them minimum wage...... min wage is a federal law.....

All we need to do is actually enforce current laws, not add more pointless laws. There's too many laws now....... every year the government adds 9285923859238593825 new laws that dont add up to shit. If someone employs an illegal immigrant, arrest them and jail them. The problem will go away in about two months.

Also, it's a myth that illegals are over here working for $2 an hour.... lot of illegal immigrants do construction jobs that pay well over min wage... especially when you consider theyre working under the table, not paying taxes and then collecting welfare and foodstamps...... I've seen illegal immigrants make $10-15 an hour doing typical construction jobs. Obamacare isnt helping either.... since now companies are inclined to do anything they can to circumvent paying for that.

Democrats arent going to do anything to break this cycle..... its their method of buying a vote. If democrats put a stop to illegals collecting welfare and working under the table, then they would lose that voter base. This isnt some error on the books that needs to be corrected..... its a government intentionally misusing american tax dollars to dilute a voting majority with freeloaders who are willing to sell their vote to the highest bidder. The government would much rather buy a vote than earn one, especially since theyre bidding with house money.