Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phil Robertson Fired

Default Phil Robertson Fired

What ever happen to freedom of speech in America seriously if gays can't stop getting butt hurt we are all screwed.
    This show has more followers than gay people think and i hope their is Revenge.

A&E has suspended "Duck Dynasty" star Phil Robertson following anti-gay comments he made in a recent GQ profile, according to a report by Entertainment Weekly.

In an interview with GQ's Drew Magary, the head of the family in the wildly popular A&E series expressed his view that homosexuality was immoral, likening it to bestiality. Some of the remarks were made using off-color language.

Backlash was widespread and pronounced, including condemnation from GLAAD and the Human Rights Campaign.

On Wednesday evening, A&E released this statement to Entertainment Weekly:

“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty. His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."
    Entertainment Weekly added that the rest of the family starring in "Duck Dynasty" will remain on the program.

Earlier on Wednesday, a representative from A&E submitted a statement to The Huffington Post from Phil Roberston in response to the controversy:

“I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
    Following the news of Robertson's suspension, a tweet from the account of former Alaska governor and Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin defended the "Duck Dynasty" star:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -untitled-jpg  

Hate speech is not protected by the first amendment. The world would be a better place and television would be that much greater if Duck Dynasty was not on it.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Hate speech is not protected by the first amendment. The world would be a better place and television would be that much greater if Duck Dynasty was not on it.
    Bullshit if People can bash Obama and his family then why fire a person for commenting on religious beliefs about homosexuality

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    Bullshit if People can bash Obama and his family then why fire a person for commenting on religious beliefs about homosexuality
    If I was a network exec and you made hateful comments about Obama, I could fire you just the same.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

If I was a network exec and you made hateful comments about Obama, I could fire you just the same.
    So you would agree if you was imprisoned for sharing you opinion ?

How did we get from being fired to imprisoned?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

How did we get from being fired to imprisoned?
    If a person can be fired or even reprimanded for sharing an Opinion then why wouldn't it soon lead to Jail ?
    So you think African Americans should have all been reprimanded for not agreeing and being vocal about slavery ?

What part of this conversation led you to believe I think African Americans should have been imprisoned for being vocal about slavery? What do you believe is similar about someone's opinion against homosexuality and African Americans opinion against slavery?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

What part of this conversation led you to believe I think African Americans should have been imprisoned for being vocal about slavery?
    If you feel you would fire a person for sharing opinion or bashing Obama then why not. You are suppressing how a person feels and how they are vocal in peaceful protest and that's wrong. You claim TV would be better without Duck Dynasty on it but I dont look less on you for that expression of opinion.

A man standing by his religious convictions, be they right or wrong, is hate speech now? Have you read the interview and what Phil actually said or are you just going by what the media says?

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Network has the freedom to do what they feel is in their best interest. With that said........ I wish these faggots would quit being such faggots.

Duck dynasty is a wholesome family show. The world would be a better place without BET, rap music, or al Sharpton in it.

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    If you feel you would fire a person for sharing opinion or bashing Obama then why not. You are suppressing how a person feels and how they are vocal in peaceful protest and that's wrong. You claim TV would be better without Duck Dynasty on it but I dont look less on you for that expression of opinion.
    If you're being serious, no. I would not fire a black person for being vocal against racial oppression, unless it was getting in the way of him performing his duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    A man standing by his religious convictions, be they right or wrong, is hate speech now? Have you read the interview and what Phil actually said or are you just going by what the media says?
    Yes. If your religious convictions are hate speech, then yes, it's hate speech. What part are you confused about?

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,
    ...[sic]they will not recieve the kingdom of heaven. Don't be deceived, it's not right.”

Something else about a vagina and a mans ass.

Did I miss something?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

If you're being serious, no. I would not fire a black person for being vocal against racial oppression, unless it was getting in the way of him performing his duties.

Yes. If your religious convictions are hate speech, then yes, it's hate speech. What part are you confused about?

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,
    ...[sic]they will not recieve the kingdom of heaven. Don't be deceived, it's not right.”

Something else about a vagina and a mans ass.

Did I miss something?
    So you haven't actually read what he said.

Did he incite violence or prejudicial action against gay people?

“We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ’em, give ’em the good news about Jesus—whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ’em out later, you see what I’m saying?”
    Right there in his own words, I don't judge them, I love them, tell them about Jesus and move on, let god sort them out. He even says don't judge, just love, quite the opposite of hate speech. Never once does he call for any ill action towards gays. Whether you agree with him or think he is nuttier than a fruit cake makes no difference. Standing by his convictions that a lifestyle is wrong while stating that he shouldn't and doesn't judge them is not hate speech.

So you haven't actually read what he said.
    That was word for word what he said. No question about it.

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/tele...phil-robertson

Right there in his own words, I don't judge them, I love them, tell them about Jesus and move on, let god sort them out. He even says don't judge, just love, quite the opposite of hate speech. Never once does he call for any ill action towards gays. Whether you agree with him or think he is nuttier than a fruit cake makes no difference. Standing by his convictions that a lifestyle is wrong while stating that he shouldn't and doesn't judge them is not hate speech.
    Sounds like you're still confused about what hate speech is. Let me assist you. While we're cherry picking Wikipedia:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group.
    Now that we have that out of the way.

A&E (Herst/Disney-ABC Television group) enjoys the right to terminate or suspend the employment of anyone it sees fit, for whatever reason. Turns out this Robertson guy doesn't have a right to a TV show. Go figure.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Phil Robertson says he belives gays wont go to heaven because they are sinners and its wrong.

Bill Maher says Christians won't go to heaven because they're wrong and ignorant and its all just made up anyway.

Are both of these examples of hate speech?

What Bill Maher said really isn't incorrect.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Same for Phil. Btw.... accuracy makes any comment ok? Asking for a friend.

Your opinion of which man is more correct is not being discussed here. Are they or are they not examples of hate speech?

He was suspended, not fired. The fourth season premiere was the most-watched non-fiction series telecast in cable TV history.

He'll be back as long as he wants to continue. This is just free publicity and stirring up intolerant leftists will make sure it goes on for a while, and as old saying goes "There's no such thing as bad publicity".

Interesting fact: The earliest version of that phrase found in print is from the US newspaper The Atlanta Constitution, January, 1915:

I will watch even more duck dynasy now. May even take a trip to West Monroe and shake Phil's hand.

The world we live in sucks. Too many people bitching about getting their feelings hurt or someone "hating" on their lifestyle. Bunch of goddamn pussy faggots. Own your decisions and stop forcing your lifestyle or color or culture on the rest of us. Own that shit and move on.

I work with a gay guy and I give him more shit than anyone but I also respect his choices. He doesn't get preferential treatment because he is gay. We get along great! I think it's the fact that I treat him like everyone else. So i respect Phil for "treating them like everyone else".
    '82 TE72 SR5 Sport Coupe
    3tc

He was not gay bashing. It is his opinion. We have a great country we live in now when you cant even voice your opinion without someone being offended

Your opinion of which man is more correct is not being discussed here. Are they or are they not examples of hate speech?
    If you want to cross into the grey area of protected speech, Religious criticism is highly debated. If HBO wanted to fire/suspend him, they're more than welcome to. However:

1. Maher is not on cable television.

2. Maher is the host of his own political talk show, which I believe is prefaced by the standard "views/beliefs" title disclaimer. His views on religion are the reason people watch the show and it's how he gets paid.

In the end, A&E network has decided that Robertson's views go against the networks history of support for the LBGT community

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by 04sidriver View Post
    He was not gay bashing. It is his opinion. We have a great country we live in now when you cant even voice your opinion without someone being offended
    Feel free to bash christians, conservatives, white people, southerners, military, or white presidents..........

You're not allowed to insult Muslims, black people or faggots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Feel free to bash christians, movement conservatives, white people, southerners, military, or white presidents........
    They all make it too easy

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

They all make it too easy
    It's pretty damn easy to insult your dumb ass too.

Insult me all you want. You're only hurting yourselves. Lol

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

If you want to cross into the grey area of protected speech, Religious criticism is highly debated. If HBO wanted to fire/suspend him, they're more than welcome to.
    Never said anything about him needing to be fired. As much as I loathe him, I respect his right to his opinions unlike you.

However:

1. Maher is not on cable television.
    Nor was Phil Robertson when he made his remarks, he was giving an interview to GQ magazine.

2. Maher is the host of his own political talk show, which I believe is prefaced by the standard "views/beliefs" title disclaimer. His views on religion are the reason people watch the show and it's how he gets paid.
    Phil is the star of cable television reality show, his views on religion are one of the reasons people like and watch the show. What's your point?

One of these men made an entire movie mocking Christians and Christianity, one of these men spoke about his personal religious beliefs during a magazine interview.

I will ask you again since you can't seem to answer a simple question: Is these men speaking about their personal religious beliefs, or lack thereof, hate speech or not? Yes, or no.

Never said anything about him needing to be fired. As much as I loathe him, I respect his right to his opinions unlike you.
    Who said I didn't respect his right to his opinions? Everyone has the right to their opinions. Just be prepared to suffer the consequences if your views are different from the employer you represent.

Phil is the star of cable television reality show, his views on religion are one of the reasons people like and watch the show. What's your point?
    Political and religious opinion isn't the basis of the show. Don't be stupid.

I will ask you again since you can't seem to answer a simple question: Is these men speaking about their personal religious beliefs, or lack thereof, hate speech or not? Yes, or no.
    To answer your question a second time since it seems you need to be told what to think, speaking about your personal religious beliefs is not hate speech. Using religion to justify hate speech is hate speech. Hope that clears things up.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

You are an outright idiot.

I know reality is tough to accept sometimes. Don't shoot me. I'm just the messenger.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

I'm going to give a few examples, please label each with a yes or no, for whether or not the example comment is or isnt "hate speech".

#1 Homosexuals will not get into Heaven.
    #2 Chinese people are more intelligent than black people.
    #3 Christians live their life based on a lie.
    #4 Rednecks are stupid.
    #5 Islam is a religion of violence.
    #6 Flamboyant homosexuals annoy me.
    #7 Conservatives are a bunch of racist white people.
    #8 Black people account for an unusually large portion of crime statistics.
    #9 Homeless people need to get a damn job.
    #10 White people cant be victims of injustice, they havnt suffered enough.

The sad thing is, I'm breaking down complex economics concepts, exposing the psychological aspects that everyone seems to overlook, and single handedly dispelling the big pseudo conservative myth this forum seems to cling to one post at a time. If I'm an idiot, what does that make y'all? Lol
    Last edited by .blank cd; 12-19-2013 at 10:35 AM.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group.
    Bill Maher mocks an entire religion and it's followers and tells them they're not going to heaven because it doesn't exist = A-O.K.

Phil Robertson says he doesn't believe that homosexuals will go to heaven because his religion tells him so = Hate speech.

Seems fair.

Just because you disagree with one of them doesn't make it hate speech.

Every time i turn on news radio, it seems like most of the "breaking stories " are of crimes committed by black folks. In fact, yes FACT, most of the crimes committed in the Atlanta area are indeed by African Americans. ( click link for official reports according to APD ). Now, I stated a personal opinion and provided factual supporting documentation to back up my opinion...which turns out to be actual fact. Question: Is this considered hate speech?

Link to data: APD Uniform Crime Reports
    riding for God crew member #1

IA Domestic Alliance

i just saw a pic floating around of his face and what not and didnt know what happened until i googled it...it's fuckin ignorant IMO for A&E to do this. i hate the forcefeeding of everyone having to accept gays...i dont believe hate should be spewed, which he wasnt doing, but everyone doesnt have to be progay rights...like wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    i just saw a pic floating around of his face and what not and didnt know what happened until i googled it...it's fuckin ignorant IMO for A&E to do this. i hate the forcefeeding of everyone having to accept gays...i dont believe hate should be spewed, which he wasnt doing, but everyone doesnt have to be progay rights...like wtf?!
    You don't have to be pro-gay rights if you don't want to. But the trend (and the natural progression of civilized society) is moving towards gay rights. A&E, as a corporation, has a right to protect their brand and their image. If I had a show on the Disney channel and I went and ran my mouth about how black skin is is the mark of sin or evil, I should probably expect to be fired.

Robertson doesn't give two shits about what A&E did, why do y'all? Something tells me he's going to be ok.

I know it's not what y'all want to hear, I know it doesn't touch your rage nerve, but it's reality. Deal with it. And stop hiding behind "it's the sin, not the sinner" bullshit. It's old

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

You don't have to be pro-gay rights if you don't want to. But the trend (and the natural progression of civilized society) is moving towards gay rights.

I still want to know what rights gays dont have.

BTW, marrying isnt a right.

I have no problem with Roberson being suspended. A&E is a private entity and they can do whatever they want with the contracted talent. I am absolutely sure there is language in the contract that allows Robertson to be fired/suspended if he does anything that the company doesnt agree with so he has no reason to bitch either. '

EVERYONE needs to get over this thin skinned, hypersensitive, BS they are on right now.

Flamboyant gays deserve the shit they get cause no one likes or respects them. You can be gay if you want, I honestly dont care, but flaunting it just makes you look like a retard. Where the fuck did that annoying ass lisp come from too?

Blacks, you have played the race card long enough, no one cares anymore. A word to the wise, the more you throw out racism for stupid shit, the less people care when you do. The minorities that actually have been damaged by discrimination are being ignored and written off as whiners because of the race pimps that throw it around for anything. Time to grow up and start accepting responsibilities for your actions.

WASPS, it isnt all about you. You dont like something, ignore it. Plain and fucking simple.

Christians, you arent perfect and the louder you get about your lard and souvenir the less people care. I was listning to an interview with Cody from Skillet, an openly devout christian group. He said that cristians need to back off non believers and focus more on themselves. Let their own actions bear witness to their faith, not just their words.

True story. Had a guy that I have never seen before hand me some jesus freak flier at work. When I tried to hand it back he said something about my soul being at risk and he was there to save me. I tried being nice about it, but he wouldnt let it go so I shoved them damn thing back into his shirt pocket. Took that long for him to get the message.

I know its difficult having to be tolerant of other people's lifestyles that don't affect you. I empathize with your firm resistance to assimilate.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast