Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 86

Thread: Greedy, heartless Wal-Mart customers say no to higher prices

  1. #1
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Greedy, heartless Wal-Mart customers say no to higher prices

    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  2. #2
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    It's hilarious that the very first guy he interviewed made him look like a jackass.

    Peter Schiff content warning for anyone else about to click it. Not that anyone else here is seekers of accurate and unbiased information anyway.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  3. #3
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Not sure if you watched the right video.

    Its obviously a satire, but the point is you would have to raise prices to pay higher wages, and the public doesnt support that.

    you cant just raise wages and expect it to have zero effect on the rest of the economy and jobs. The point he makes is 100% accurate
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  4. #4
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Not sure if you watched the right video.

    Its obviously a satire
    Its wasnt funny (at least, in the way he intended it to be), nor does he raise a valid point

    but the point is you would have to raise prices to pay higher wages, and the public doesnt support that.

    you cant just raise wages and expect it to have zero effect on the rest of the economy and jobs. The point he makes is 100% accurate
    Maybe you missed the point of the minimum wage discussion.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  5. #5
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    In all honesty i was hoping you wouldnt pop in here because these little economic banters are just boring.

    Its hard to have you in other threads when you refuse to answer questions in others.

    Tell me how you raise minimum wage + $8/hr and everything else in the economy stays the same.



    The point of this is to just show you that people shop at Walmart for a reason, low prices. When you increase the costs of doing business(wages), you raise prices. This is simple ECON, stuff you just dont understand. But, guys like you just think the Evil Walmart can just write the check and take it out of their "profit" to be "nice guys"

    Too bad business doesnt work that way
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  6. #6
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    In all honesty i was hoping you wouldnt pop in here because these little economic banters are just boring.

    Its hard to have you in other threads when you refuse to answer questions in others.
    I understand. It's difficult to have an economic banter with someone who actually knows economics. I wouldn't want to banter with me either.

    Tell me how you raise minimum wage + $8/hr and everything else in the economy stays the same.
    Could you tell me the last time the baseline effectively doubled overnight in recent history?

    Take your time.

    In the meantime, could there be another reason people are asking for $15?

    The point of this is to just show you that people shop at Walmart for a reason, low prices. When you increase the costs of doing business(wages)"
    And the very first person he approached was supportive of a drastic minimum wage hike, and was almost willing to donate before he started with the invasive questions.

    He makes a really shitty comedian and economist. He should probably stick to his day job and stop offering Econ opinions and terrible comedy.

    Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have the political satire/comedy thing covered.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  7. #7
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    I've compiled a list of emotional arguments you movement conservatives can use against me to tear my arguments down piece by piece. You can chose from, but are not limited to:

    "[insert co. here]employees doesn't deserve it"

    "Mcdonalds can't even get my order right"

    "Why should we pay them as much as someone with [insert graduate degree here]"

    And finally, "I don't even make $15 an hour"

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  8. #8
    Moderator BanginJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hiram, GA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,499
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Blank, when you pay the lowest segment of the population 'X' dollars, every segment above them expects a percentage more than they do for their work. If a cashier's wages double to $15, the hourly manager is well within reason to expect $30. If you are making $30 as a shift manager at McDonald's, this causes a price increase.

    If I could make $30/hr at McDonald's, why should I spend my days working on multi-million dollar airplanes for $30? To entice qualified workers, my employer is forced to raise wages 25% to prevent skills loss, they have to charge their customers 25% more for their products.

    If I am making 25% more, the engineers are going to expect that also. If the engineers are getting that pay hike, so are the managers. If the managers are getting that pay hike, so are the executives.


    What does all this turn into? Massive inflation and price increases across the board thereby reducing buying power right back to where it is today.


    Do I expect you to understand all this? Not a chance. You can only see things in a vacuum. In your mind, if something happens to A, B, C, and D are not affected because nothing directly happened to them.

  9. #9
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    I'd love to support walmart workers making higher wages!...


    Where can i donate to their college funds?



    LOL>>>> "Where's some Obama voters? theyre sure to want to spend more money"



    Funny that blank jumped on this instantly when it is so OBVIOUSLY a joke.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  10. #10
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    Blank, when you pay the lowest segment of the population 'X' dollars, every segment above them expects a percentage more than they do for their work.
    You mean, they would feel 'entitled', correct?

    If I could make $30/hr at McDonald's, why should I spend my days working on multi-million dollar airplanes for $30? To entice qualified workers, my employer is forced to raise wages 25% to prevent skills loss, they have to charge their customers 25% more for their products.
    Easy there. That slope is pretty slippery

    Do I expect you to understand all this? Not a chance. You can only see things in a vacuum. In your mind, if something happens to A, B, C, and D are not affected because nothing directly happened to them.
    I understand what you're saying, but slippery slopes and hyperbole are pretty poor ways to get your point across.

    Wanna pick another argument?

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  11. #11
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    I've compiled a list of emotional arguments you movement conservatives can use against me to tear my arguments down piece by piece. You can chose from, but are not limited to:

    "[insert co. here]employees doesn't deserve it"

    "Mcdonalds can't even get my order right"

    "Why should we pay them as much as someone with [insert graduate degree here]"

    And finally, "I don't even make $15 an hour"
    Someone i know who isnt me and doesnt work where i work oversees a large group of people who make less than $15/hr, this person, who isnt me and doesnt work where i work, told me in confidence that those people absolutely did not deserve to make $15/hr

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  12. #12
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Someone i know who isnt me and doesnt work where i work oversees a large group of people who make less than $15/hr, this person, who isnt me and doesnt work where i work, told me in confidence that those people absolutely did not deserve to make $15/hr
    [s]X employees doesn't deserve it[/s]

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  13. #13
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    [s]X employees doesn't deserve it[/s]
    I've been a manager at walmart............ there's people who cant read working there. I'm serious..... that's not a joke.

    Your skills dictate your salary.... unfortunately... stocking shelves is not a super valuable skill.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  14. #14
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    I've been a manager at walmart............ there's people who cant read working there. I'm serious..... that's not a joke.

    Your skills dictate your salary.... unfortunately... stocking shelves is not a super valuable skill.
    Ok. So you want to use the skill argument.

    We can probably agree stocking shelves at Walmart and cashiering at McDonalds requires little skill, and is a job that hasn't changed much in recent history. Put this box on that shelf/take customers money and give correct change.

    So if the job remains the same, why have we raised minimum wage at all since the 30s? Should minimum wage workers still make 30 cents an hour for doing the same task they did 80 years ago?

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  15. #15
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Ok. So you want to use the skill argument.

    We can probably agree stocking shelves at Walmart and cashiering at McDonalds requires little skill, and is a job that hasn't changed much in recent history. Put this box on that shelf/take customers money and give correct change.

    So if the job remains the same, why have we raised minimum wage at all since the 30s? Should minimum wage workers still make 30 cents an hour for doing the same task they did 80 years ago?
    Those arguments are not interlinked with each other. The minimum wage is what it is and Walmart compensates their employees based around those perimeters. If the minimum wage became $50/hr tomorrow, then everyone else would start making $150/hr and the cost of a gallon of milk would go up to $35, accomplishing nothing.

    So, separate the minimum wage debate from what employers actually pay their employees. Then understand that skill decides your salary, regardless of what the minimum wage is.

    If i create a company selling post it note greeting cards and it becomes a multi billion dollar industry, i should still be able to pay people a fair wage for their ability to sign a post it note, regardless of what my profit margin is. Business owners reap the benefits of profit margins.... not burger flippers or shelf fillers.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  16. #16
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Those arguments are not interlinked with each other. The minimum wage is what it is and Walmart compensates their employees based around those perimeters.

    So, separate the minimum wage debate from what employers actually pay their employees. Then understand that skill decides your salary, regardless of what the minimum wage is.

    If i create a company selling post it note greeting cards and it becomes a multi billion dollar industry, i should still be able to pay people a fair wage for their ability to sign a post it note, regardless of what my profit margin is. Business owners reap the benefits of profit margins.... not burger flippers or shelf fillers.
    What in the fuck are you talking about now? Separate the minimum wage debate from what they pay their employees? Are you high?

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  17. #17
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    What in the fuck are you talking about now? Separate the minimum wage debate from what they pay their employees? Are you high?
    Are you? It's not an employer's obligation to pay you 1 penny over min wage, whatever min wage may be. They are two different topics. Are you really this uneducated?

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  18. #18
    Look Behind You !!! -EnVus-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Projects
    Posts
    8,743
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    All I can say is if they are not happy with what they earn I know many who would love it lol
    Like Batman said at the end of the video "Nobody wants higher prices"

  19. #19
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Lol its funny just to see blank squirm

    Why do they deserve $15/hr? Why not $20?30?40?

    What makes them pick that number blank?
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  20. #20
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Lol its funny just to see blank squirm

    Why do they deserve $15/hr? Why not $20?30?40?

    What makes them pick that number blank?
    Who is squirming?

    Why not $10? $5? $1?

    Why does it matter to what they deserve? It doesn't to anyone else, and it never has. The same defeatist arguments were used to oppose raising the minimum wage to $7.25, to $5.25, to $4.75, to $3. You'd figure by now, opposers would come up with some new material since it hasn't worked so far. Lol.

    "Why not raise it to $30, $50, $100/hr" - slippery slope, defeated.

    "They don't deserve it" - false

    "Blah blah blah skill level" - false

    "Worldwide global inflation recession crash" - false

    "Minimum wage is separate from what employers pay employees" - first time I've heard that one, dunno what that non-sensical babble has to do with what we're talking about here

    There's a reason why I don't use emotional arguments and slippery slope fallacies. I know enough to avoid them. Frankly it's getting old pointing out when the rest of this forum uses them. Figured one would learn by the 2nd or 3rd time. Not by the 174th.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  21. #21
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Theyre not protesting the government to raise the min wage..... theyre protesting their employers. Your company is legally obligated to pay you a min wage and that's it. It doesnt matter if the company makes trillions..... theyre legally obligated to pay you min wage and not a penny more.

    The min wage is what it is..... Anything you make above that mark is attributed to how valuable your skills are.


    Minimum wage is a completely different topic. The government sets the min wage....... it's not mcdonalds or walmarts job to offer you a living or make sure your bills are paid. If you cant make a living working at mcdonalds..... get a roommate, go back to school, live in an apartment, dont have kids, learn to like the taste of ramen noodles..... really dont give a fuck, it's your problem.


    Funny how blank keeps saying everyone is being emotional... when he's the one who always plays the role of captain save a hoe for every freeloading welfare abusing pot head.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  22. #22
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Theyre not protesting the government to raise the min wage....
    Uhh, yes. The whole conversation is about minimum wage.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  23. #23
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Who is squirming?

    Why not $10? $5? $1?
    Because Federal law says minimum wage is at least $7.25. Most places protesting pay more than minimum wage FYI (Mcdonalds/Walmart)

    Why does it matter to what they deserve? It doesn't to anyone else, and it never has. The same defeatist arguments were used to oppose raising the minimum wage to $7.25, to $5.25, to $4.75, to $3. You'd figure by now, opposers would come up with some new material since it hasn't worked so far. Lol.
    So you just arbitrarily picked a number?

    How has the minimum wage HELPED workers? All data (which i have posted before) has shown that despite minimum wage increases, and despite social welfare spending Poverty rate has stayed the same. There is ZERO data to show that raising the minimum wage does anything but inflate prices and make it harder for the poor to survive (it diminishes their buying power).

    So, your argument is that when we raised the minimum wage from $4-5-6-7 ..............it didnt work so we need to raise it more? LOL This is how dense you are. You dont even realize the argument you are making conmpletly contradicts your beliefs. We have raised the minimum wage in the past, and by definition IT DIDNT WORK so you want to raise it more. So why not $20/hr?


    "Why not raise it to $30, $50, $100/hr" - slippery slope, defeated.
    Why $15? Seriously, why $15 an hour. What data shows that is good enough, that everything will be ok. How come they struggle at $7.55 an hour, but $15 hr we all sing koombaya and everything is great?

    "They don't deserve it" - false
    They dont deserve it, they EARN it. If you have skills to make $15 hr you get paid it or you go get hired for that job. Low skilled labor makes low skilled wages. Period.

    "Blah blah blah skill level" - false
    Skill level correlates to pay. Its why I make $50,000 a year and the guy next to me with CCISP makes $75,000 a year. Its why The guy next to him make $100k a year because he has his masters and PMP.

    So if you dont get paid based upon skillset, what do you think your pay should be based on? Fuzzy warm feelings?

    "Worldwide global inflation recession crash" - false
    Ripple effect would be bad just like it was back in 90s when they raised wages. People would be laid off, prices would rise , its not even debateable, go look at econ data from the 90s or take it from someone who lived through it. I was a lifeguard at the YMCA and we laid 1 HS off when they passed the higher Minimum wage. My pay went up, but John lost his job because of it.


    "Minimum wage is separate from what employers pay employees" - first time I've heard that one, dunno what that non-sensical babble has to do with what we're talking about here
    youre just not smart enough to understand it probably because you never lived it.

    Minimum wage is federal minimum standards. WalMart pays what they think their labor force is WORTH the be competitive in the market place. It doesnt have to be minimum wage, it just cant be below it.

    The AVERAGE Sales Associate at Wal Mart (this excludes managers) is $8.86 /hr. They make MORE than minimum wage. If WalMart wanted to make more money they could be shitty and pay them less. they dont. They voluntarily pay them more.

    IF they arent happy with their wages, go work somewhere else.


    There's a reason why I don't use emotional arguments and slippery slope fallacies. I know enough to avoid them. Frankly it's getting old pointing out when the rest of this forum uses them. Figured one would learn by the 2nd or 3rd time. Not by the 174th.
    The issue is most of the people wanting to strike probably have a shitty resume and cant get a higher paying job. So, they want the system to change for them. Instead of becoming a better worker, they have been brainwashed into thinking the evil Company OWES them.

    I sincerely hope that Walmart caves, pays them $15/hr and then lays off 50% of the work force. Fuck em. Ill survive, because I can afford to shop at Target or Publix, or Walmart, I make enough money. And I have worked shitty dead end jobs that paid Minimum wage.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  24. #24
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Its useless because Blank doesnt understand how everthing else in the economy would be affected. he doesnt understand how economics works which is why he never answers any of the main questions people ask. Hes so ideological , EVERYTHING is partisan to him if you dont believe his way. He cant possible understand the other side. Id be all for raising wages if he could provide a solid argument on why and how to do it

    Why $15/hr? Why not pay everyone $50,000 a year? Surely that will solve everything and everyone will be fine, nothing will be affected. Price of milk, clothing, etc will all stay the same because the Corporations will just absorb the cost and deal with less profit.

    Of course, im sure they have intricate models that show how a $15/hr increase would effect the current business model

    /SARCASM
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  25. #25
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Because Federal law says minimum wage is at least $7.25. Most places protesting pay more than minimum wage FYI (Mcdonalds/Walmart)


    So you just arbitrarily picked a number?

    How has the minimum wage HELPED workers? All data (which i have posted before) has shown that despite minimum wage increases, and despite social welfare spending Poverty rate has stayed the same. There is ZERO data to show that raising the minimum wage does anything but inflate prices and make it harder for the poor to survive (it diminishes their buying power).

    So, your argument is that when we raised the minimum wage from $4-5-6-7 ..............it didnt work so we need to raise it more? LOL This is how dense you are. You dont even realize the argument you are making conmpletly contradicts your beliefs. We have raised the minimum wage in the past, and by definition IT DIDNT WORK so you want to raise it more. So why not $20/hr?




    Why $15? Seriously, why $15 an hour. What data shows that is good enough, that everything will be ok. How come they struggle at $7.55 an hour, but $15 hr we all sing koombaya and everything is great?


    They dont deserve it, they EARN it. If you have skills to make $15 hr you get paid it or you go get hired for that job. Low skilled labor makes low skilled wages. Period.


    Skill level correlates to pay. Its why I make $50,000 a year and the guy next to me with CCISP makes $75,000 a year. Its why The guy next to him make $100k a year because he has his masters and PMP.

    So if you dont get paid based upon skillset, what do you think your pay should be based on? Fuzzy warm feelings?


    Ripple effect would be bad just like it was back in 90s when they raised wages. People would be laid off, prices would rise , its not even debateable, go look at econ data from the 90s or take it from someone who lived through it. I was a lifeguard at the YMCA and we laid 1 HS off when they passed the higher Minimum wage. My pay went up, but John lost his job because of it.



    youre just not smart enough to understand it probably because you never lived it.

    Minimum wage is federal minimum standards. WalMart pays what they think their labor force is WORTH the be competitive in the market place. It doesnt have to be minimum wage, it just cant be below it.

    The AVERAGE Sales Associate at Wal Mart (this excludes managers) is $8.86 /hr. They make MORE than minimum wage. If WalMart wanted to make more money they could be shitty and pay them less. they dont. They voluntarily pay them more.

    IF they arent happy with their wages, go work somewhere else.



    The issue is most of the people wanting to strike probably have a shitty resume and cant get a higher paying job. So, they want the system to change for them. Instead of becoming a better worker, they have been brainwashed into thinking the evil Company OWES them.

    I sincerely hope that Walmart caves, pays them $15/hr and then lays off 50% of the work force. Fuck em. Ill survive, because I can afford to shop at Target or Publix, or Walmart, I make enough money. And I have worked shitty dead end jobs that paid Minimum wage.
    The sad thing is, you're breaking down complex economic concepts, exposing the psychological aspects that people seem overlook, and single handedly dispelling the raging liberal myths that our one village idiot seems to cling to. If reality is this easy to grasp, what does it say about those who cant reach it?
    Last edited by Sinfix_15; 12-19-2013 at 11:52 AM.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  26. #26
    Petrolhead Browning151's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,119
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    lol

  27. #27
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Because Federal law says minimum wage is at least $7.25. Most places protesting pay more than minimum wage FYI (Mcdonalds/Walmart)


    So you just arbitrarily picked a number?
    Dont ask me. I don't know why they picked $15. Probably to get a discussion started. In any case, there is a legitimate argument to be had that inflation and productivity is outpacing the current minimum wage.

    How has the minimum wage HELPED workers? All data (which i have posted before) has shown that despite minimum wage increases, and despite social welfare spending Poverty rate has stayed the same. There is ZERO data to show that raising the minimum wage does anything but inflate prices and make it harder for the poor to survive (it diminishes their buying power).
    What are you reading? Econ for kidZ?


    So, your argument is that when we raised the minimum wage from $4-5-6-7 ..............it didnt work so we need to raise it more?
    Not my argument at all. I wouldn't say anything that stupid.


    They dont deserve it, they EARN it. If you have skills to make $15 hr you get paid it or you go get hired for that job. Low skilled labor makes low skilled wages. Period.

    Skill level correlates to pay. Its why I make $50,000 a year and the guy next to me with CCISP makes $75,000 a year. Its why The guy next to him make $100k a year because he has his masters and PMP..
    If we based minimum wage on skill alone, it would still be 30 cents an hr. Don't be dense. No business has ever paid its employees based on skill alone. You'd know that if you were ever in the capacity that required setting someone's salary.

    Ripple effect would be bad just like it was back in 90s when they raised wages. People would be laid off, prices would rise , its not even debateable, go look at econ data from the 90s or take it from someone who lived through it. I was a lifeguard at the YMCA and we laid 1 HS off when they passed the higher Minimum wage. My pay went up, but John lost his job because of it.
    We had such a horrible economy in the 90s.

    You should probably lay off the anecdotal evidence. It's not helping your case any. One business's labor demands aren't the same as all of them. But you should know that. You're an Econ student too...

    Minimum wage is federal minimum standards. WalMart pays what they think their labor force is WORTH the be competitive in the market place. It doesnt have to be minimum wage, it just cant be below it.
    Before you said it was based on skill alone. Make up your mind. Lol.[/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Its useless because Blank doesnt understand how everthing else in the economy would be affected.
    This is coming from the person who believes wages are paid based on skill alone. Got it.

    he doesnt understand how economics works which is why he never answers any of the main questions people ask.
    You mean the questions YOURE asking that everyone else in the field has good answers for? Those questions?

    Why $15/hr? Why not pay everyone $50,000 a year? Surely that will solve everything and everyone will be fine, nothing will be affected. Price of milk, clothing, etc will all stay the same because the Corporations will just absorb the cost and deal with less profit.
    Hey, it's another slippery slope argument. No surprise here. Why not just make minimum wage $50k? 100k? 200k?

    Thats one of those questions everyone is asking right? LOL

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  28. #28
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    You guys make this entirely too easy for me

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  29. #29
    Moderator BanginJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hiram, GA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,499
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Not my argument at all. I wouldn't say anything that stupid.
    You do all the time.


    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    If we based minimum wage on skill alone, it would still be 30 cents an hr. Don't be dense. No business has ever paid its employees based on skill alone. You'd know that if you were ever in the capacity that required setting someone's salary.
    Not on skill alone, but on skills, qualifications, experience, and available workers in the marketplace. You need no skills, qualifications, or experience and there is an unlimited number of potential workers to bus tables or stock shelves. Thats is why the wages are low and dont need to rise.


    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Before you said it was based on skill alone. Make up your mind. Lol.
    You dont think your skills affect your worth as an employee?


    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Hey, it's another slippery slope argument. No surprise here. Why not just make minimum wage $50k? 100k? 200k?
    You still havent realized that raising the minimum wage will affect other areas huh?

  30. #30
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    -1486621_638225239554498_535914856_n-jpg

    No solutions, just mindless liberal drivel that has no basis for facts or forward thinking. Seems legit.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  31. #31
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    You do all the time.




    Not on skill alone, but on skills, qualifications, experience, and available workers in the marketplace. You need no skills, qualifications, or experience and there is an unlimited number of potential workers to bus tables or stock shelves. Thats is why the wages are low and dont need to rise.




    You dont think your skills affect your worth as an employee?




    You still havent realized that raising the minimum wage will affect other areas huh?
    Its impossible to ration with him.

    I never said ONLY skills dictate what youre worth, he said skills dont matter, I said they do. SO then he puts words in my mouth and goes off on some tangent about nothing I even said.

    I said:
    Skill level correlates to pay
    He then says
    Before you said it was based on skill alone.
    Does that look like what I said? Absolutely not, but this is what the Left does. they make up arguments by picking stuff out of what you say, despite it being in CLEAR english.

    Skills mean: Education, Training, experience. That is the definition of skillset in the work place.

    If you want to raise minimum wage, go for it, but show me WHY, the arguement has to be better than "I CANT SURVIVE ON X.XX an hour" because minimum wage isnt meant for you to SURVIVE. MINIMUM WAGE means the WORST JOB YOU COULD POSSIBLY HAVE.

    hey man, some people just arent made out to be in the work force. not my problem
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  32. #32
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    WHY $15/ hr? Would you settle for 10$? WHY?

    They cant answer this question because its a bunch of mindless idiots looking to get free money for doing no more work.

    I cant survive on $50,000 a year, I need more, give it to me. Why not?

    Because they get to arbitrarily pick who is poor an needs help? Who died and made them king?
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  33. #33
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    Not on skill alone, but on skills, qualifications, experience, and available workers in the marketplace.
    Not only skills, economic conditions as measured by real and nominal gross domestic product, inflation, labor supply and demand, wage levels, distribution and differentials, employment terms, productivity growth, labor costs, business operating costs, the number and trend of bankruptcies, economic freedom rankings, standards of living and the prevailing average wage rate. Real economists don't pretend like minimum wage is linked to how much a couple people think they deserve. Math doesn't work that way.

    You dont think your skills affect your worth as an employee?
    We're talking about a bump in the baseline. Not cushioning someone's career path


    You still havent realized that raising the minimum wage will affect other areas huh?
    I am probably the only one in here who knows how raising the minimum wage will affect the economy. It's what I do. We can use math, models, studies, and supply and demand curves to figure out at what point between $7.25/hr and $100,000 dollars a year would have the best economic impact. One thing is for certain: there is an argument to be had that productivity and inflation have outpaced the current minimum wage and that we are at a point where it would be beneficial to raise it. We don't focus on how we feel about who deserves what and the $15/hr BS. That's just something that gets news junkies riled up and feelings have very little room in empirical discussion.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  34. #34
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Not only skills, economic conditions as measured by real and nominal gross domestic product, inflation, labor supply and demand, wage levels, distribution and differentials, employment terms, productivity growth, labor costs, business operating costs, the number and trend of bankruptcies, economic freedom rankings, standards of living and the prevailing average wage rate. Real economists don't pretend like minimum wage is linked to how much a couple people think they deserve. Math doesn't work that way.
    Search Wikipedia for large words, post on forum to make it sound smart and interesting

    We're talking about a bump in the baseline. Not cushioning someone's career path
    Give no information about why or how we should implement said actions


    I am probably the only one in here who knows how raising the minimum wage will affect the economy. It's what I do. We can use math, models, studies, and supply and demand curves to figure out at what point between $7.25/hr and $100,000 dollars a year would have the best economic impact. One thing is for certain: there is an argument to be had that productivity and inflation have outpaced the current minimum wage and that we are at a point where it would be beneficial to raise it. We don't focus on how we feel about who deserves what and the $15/hr BS. That's just something that gets news junkies riled up and feelings have very little room in empirical discussion.
    Say im the smartest in the room without posting anything that backs this statement up.


    /Blank.CD


    We have argued why it wont work, and posted numbers and decades of theories/real life experience that shows it doesnt work.

    You have dismissed all of it and shown no facts of your own.

    So yeah, you have zero to add. Move along
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  35. #35
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    I've added enough. Everything else from this point will be emotional banter and feels and such

    I'm sure with all your facts you're dishing out maybe you could give me the math that shows how much people deserve. Maybe you can plot that on a graph for us. You know, facts. Lol.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  36. #36
    Moderator BanginJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hiram, GA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,499
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    [QUOTE=.blank cd;39532210]Not only skills, economic conditions as measured by real and nominal gross domestic product, inflation, labor supply and demand, wage levels, distribution and differentials, employment terms, productivity growth, labor costs, business operating costs, the number and trend of bankruptcies, economic freedom rankings, standards of living and the prevailing average wage rate. Real economists don't pretend like minimum wage is linked to how much a couple people think they deserve. Math doesn't work that way. {/quote]

    So you completely ignored most of what I said and stopped with skills again? Distribution has absolutely zero to do with paid wages. They only things that determine your cost to your employer are your skills, knowledge, certifications, and experience. Nothing else.

    I mean really. You throw out all these terms and they have absolutely nothing to do with what you are quoting or with this thread. What zip code your employer resides in has FAR more to do with wages than GDP does.

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    We're talking about a bump in the baseline. Not cushioning someone's career path
    What does a career path have to do with your worth to your employer? Considering we arent talking about upward mobility, I am going to say absolfuckinglutly nothing.


    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    I am probably the only one in here who knows how raising the minimum wage will affect the economy. It's what I do. We can use math, models, studies, and supply and demand curves to figure out at what point between $7.25/hr and $100,000 dollars a year would have the best economic impact. One thing is for certain: there is an argument to be had that productivity and inflation have outpaced the current minimum wage and that we are at a point where it would be beneficial to raise it. We don't focus on how we feel about who deserves what and the $15/hr BS. That's just something that gets news junkies riled up and feelings have very little room in empirical discussion.
    You can jerk yourself as much as you want, you have zero credibility. You have backed noting up with facts.

  37. #37
    Moderator BanginJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hiram, GA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,499
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    I've added enough. Everything else from this point will be emotional banter and feels and such

    I'm sure with all your facts you're dishing out maybe you could give me the math that shows how much people deserve. Maybe you can plot that on a graph for us. You know, facts. Lol.
    And this is what we get when he is backed against the wall and will be forced to prove his position with facts.

  38. #38
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    I've proved my position with facts. All the rest have offered is pure emotion filled whining about how much people deserve. Things that don't have a place in empirical dicussion. If that's what you guys want to talk about then that's great, have at it.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  39. #39
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Still waiting on this data that says what McDonald's workers deserve. Lol

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  40. #40
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    I've proved my position with facts. All the rest have offered is pure emotion filled whining about how much people deserve. Things that don't have a place in empirical dicussion. If that's what you guys want to talk about then that's great, have at it.
    You cant tell me what they should be paid, and I can tell you they are paid a competitive wage based upon their skill set.

    Thats the end of this thread.

    The wages they are paid take into account what Target/Costco/Kmart and other competitors are paying their employees for the work they perform and the return walmart sees on their investment in those employees and the goods they sell. (AKA ECON 101)

    There is no reason to move the line UP unless the employer feels the need to do so (because they own those jobs). They will pay more if they feel like:
    Attracting BETTER candidates
    Its not cost prohibitive
    There isnt legions of uneducated 20 year olds waiting to take that job

    You cant argue from a position of strength when a 17 year old can walk in and take your job from you. you are replaceable. Youre goal should be to make yourself irreplaceable (through skill set).

    Raising the minimum wage doesnt make their lives better it makes it WORSE. You diminish their buying power (which you keep ignoring). The argument could be made that we should be trying to help them into better jobs through training, but I suspect most of them want $40,000 a year jobs on $20,000 a year training.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ImportAtlanta is a community of gearheads and car enthusiasts. It does not matter what kind of car or bike you drive, IA is an open community for any gearhead. Whether you're looking for advice on a performance build or posting your wheels for sale, you're welcome here!
Announcement
Welcome back to ImportAtlanta. We are currently undergoing many changes, so please report any issues you encounter with the site using the 'Contact Us' button below. Thank you!