Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 86

Thread: Greedy, heartless Wal-Mart customers say no to higher prices

  1. #41
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Still waiting on this data that says what McDonald's workers deserve. Lol
    VERY Simple

    $7.25 hour at the minimum. Which is the Federal Law. Mcdonalds pays more than that
    McDonald's Hourly Pay | Glassdoor

    Mcdonalds provides the job, they set the wages. IF you dont like it, you can go work somewhere else. They believe their workers deserve between $7.75 and 11/hr (hourly workers).

    There you go.

    Now, show me the data that shows they deserve an increase or a pay raise
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  2. #42
    wherever God leads geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    gwinnett
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    One thing is for certain: Blank should seriously ask for a refund of any money he has paid for education...it obviously was shit
    riding for God crew member #1


    IA Domestic Alliance

  3. #43
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    You cant tell me what they should be paid, and I can tell you they are paid a competitive wage based upon their skill set.
    More than $7.26

    (AKA ECON 101)
    If you liked intro, macro 200 will really blow your mind.

    Raising the minimum wage doesnt make their lives better it makes it WORSE. You diminish their buying power (which you keep ignoring). The argument could be made that we should be trying to help them into better jobs through training, but I suspect most of them want $40,000 a year jobs on $20,000 a year training.
    If you say so.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  4. #44
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    More than $7.26
    Good, they make more than that already( you should read the information. $7.75-$11). Answer the other question you keep avoiding.....why do they deserve $15 hour or more than what they make now.

    If you liked intro, macro 200 will really blow your mind.
    You cant grasp the lower level courses, so you shouldnt move onto upper level (Minor in ECON)

    If you say so.
    Sweet rebuttal bro
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  5. #45
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    One thing is for certain: Blank should seriously ask for a refund of any money he has paid for education...it obviously was shit
    Yeah. They don't teach us to use our feelings and emotions and build arguments around logical fallacies. Wish I woulda learned that part.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  6. #46
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Lets see how many times Blank uses Logical Fallacy in a thread. Must be some term he read on Wikipedia earlier.

    No emotions here, just raw facts.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  7. #47
    wherever God leads geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    gwinnett
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    See that's the thing. Everyone here has presented sound evidence as to why this wont work...you blatantly ignore it. Your ECON professor would be ashamed and probably slap you for being so stupid. There is a deeper side to your argument, one that is not grounded in sound logic or basic math/economics. It is a liberal one that is being shouted out by the left day in and out.

    You assume that these companies will raise wages across the board and it will not affect the price of goods/services. You assume and would prefer them to just take it as a hit to their profit margins...you know...since these Evil Corporations make too much money. You and all the other lefties believe these simpleton no skill bottom of the barrel workers deserve more money for what reason? Yet the companies that employ them and the people in charge whom assume the risk and did what was required to earn their positions ( hard work and education ) don't deserve to determine how much profit they make....admit it...
    riding for God crew member #1


    IA Domestic Alliance

  8. #48
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    I could post word for work from my Macro and Micro econ books about all of this stuff. I dont know why I get sucked into bantering with someone who is obviously well below my intelligence and cant comprehend simple concepts.

    I dont think blank is that stupid. I think he likes saying stuff that is inflammatory and gives him attention.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  9. #49
    Moderator BanginJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hiram, GA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,499
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    I've proved my position with facts. All the rest have offered is pure emotion filled whining about how much people deserve. Things that don't have a place in empirical dicussion. If that's what you guys want to talk about then that's great, have at it.
    Would you mind point out one of these facts. I havent seen any.

  10. #50
    Moderator BanginJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hiram, GA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,499
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Blank, where did you go to school and who were your econ professors. I am going to send them a link to some of these threads and ask if this was what he taught in his classes.

  11. #51
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blank.cd
    Things that don't have a place in empirical dicussion.
    -you-keep-using-word-300x183-jpg
    Empirical- based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd
    take it from someone who lived through it. I was a lifeguard at the YMCA and we laid 1 HS off when they passed the higher Minimum wage. My pay went up, but John lost his job because of it.



    Quote Originally Posted by Blank.cd
    It's not helping your case any. One business's labor demands aren't the same as all of them. But you should know that.
    So, ones personal experience with a minimum wage job has no bearing on minimum wage jobs?


    LOL
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  12. #52
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    Would you mind point out one of these facts. I havent seen any.
    There right next to the facts about what people deserve.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  13. #53
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    I could post word for work from my Macro and Micro econ books about all of this stuff.
    That would be great. Please post word for word from an Econ book that states you shouldn't increase minimum wage because minimum wage employees don't deserve it.

    This response should be good.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  14. #54
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Since no one is gonna post any scholarly info on deservedness in a labor market,

    First of all, let's start by defining my stance, so the rest of us aren't strawman'ing it up in here trying to defeat the big bad liberal in the room. I realize within the active dialogue, workers are demanding a living wage increase of $7. I'm going to assume this is the impetus to a discussion on minimum wage increases, and that the number "$15" is an arbitrary number used to evoke a response or initiate a dialogue. So the question becomes Should minimum wage be raised?

    We can look at the history of minimum wage in the US, adjusted m for inflation, and see that productivity and inflation have outpaced minimum wage.
    which Is less than 40% of average production wage.

    The neoclassical model of economics says that raising the price floor (minimum wages) above the equilibrium wage (what typical market forces dictate wages should be and have leveled off at) should create unemployment, but this model is typically based on simple supply and demand curves, and often overlooks other complicating factors, for example, the monopsony that exists in the labor market, or that the buyers (employers) have more market power than the sellers (employees).

    We can use a graph like this one to plot labor supply and labor demand against wage equilibriums and binding minimum wage



    A number of economists have accepted the theory (read: explanation, not "guess") that increases in minimum wage have little to no negative effect on employment. Kruger and Card did some extensive research on the subject

    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

    Furthermore, these economists have adopted the theory that minimum wages have an overall positive effect on poverty. Here's a study by Addison and Blackburn describing the "poverty-reducing" effect of minimum wages.

    http://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/104...5/1/dp4298.pdf

    Am I for raising the minimum wage? Yes and no. I like the case David Cooper of the Economic Policy Institute makes for raising it to $10 an hour, in incremental increases (like what's been done almost every time minimum wage has been increased.

    Raising the Federal Minimum Wage to $10.10 Would Lift Wages for Millions and Provide a Modest Economic Boost | Economic Policy Institute

    But I believe, even with EITC supplementing minimum wage, we can do better as a society to lift poverty and provide an economic benefit at the same time and ease the burden from employers.

    Anyone care to refute. Please make sure you bring "sound evidence", or am I going to have to treat all subsequent posts as garbage in/garbage out and give a philosophical lesson in source credibility?

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  15. #55
    Who is John Galt? Echonova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    90
    Posts
    26,989
    Rep Power
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Anyone care to refute. Please make sure you bring "sound evidence", or am I going to have to treat all subsequent posts as garbage in/garbage out and give a philosophical lesson in source credibility?

    Neumark-08-1.pdf

  16. #56
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    I was hoping you'd post that study. LOL

    A number of questions were raised about the Neumark and Wascher results. During the time that both sets of data were collected, restaurant owners were widely aware of Card and Krueger’s findings. This allows for introduction of possible bias on behalf of the respondents. Restaurant owners opposed to minimum wages had a personal interest in overstating the impact of the minimum wage increase to skew the results in order to dissuade future minimum wage increases. Neumark and Wascher solicited responses directly from restaurants with a letter explaining that they were trying to “re-examine the New Jersey-Pennsylvania minimum wage study” (Neumark and Wascher 2000, 1,395).

    In a review of Neumark and Wascher’s findings, Card and Krueger found that the results were driven by a single franchisee that provided Pennsylvania data showing a strong increase in employment. By reporting much stronger employment growth in Pennsylvania, which was the control state, this outlier skewed the expected result for New Jersey in the absence of a minimum wage increase. But when that outlier was excluded from the data, no statistically significant results could be found. Card and Krueger also found that the EmPI-collected data showed a much stronger negative employment effect (i.e., higher elasticity) than the data collected by Neumark and Wascher, which on its own did not show a statistically significant result.
    Minimum wage trends: Understanding past and contemporary research | Economic Policy Institute

    To which Card Kruger reexamine their data followed up with...

    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

    They concluded this time that:

    After analyzing BNW’s data, our original survey data, publicly available BLS data, and most importantly, the BLS ES-202 fast-food establishment data, we reach the following conclusion:
    The increase in New Jersey’s minimum wage probably had no effect on total employment in New Jersey’s fast-food industry, and possibly had a small positive effect.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  17. #57
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    And so it begins, the "Blank only accepts his own sources of information as facts" conundrum. Ill bite.

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post

    So the question becomes Should minimum wage be raised?

    We can look at the history of minimum wage in the US, adjusted m for inflation, and see that productivity and inflation have outpaced minimum wage.
    Has inflation outpaced ALL wages? It affects everyone, not just the low wage earner. Im not sure you understand how inflation works. You cant put the low wage earners in a bubble and talk about how inflation hasnt kept pace with them, and ignore every other wage earner and pretend they are in a vacuum and dont suffer the same effect.

    If inflation raised 20% tomorrow, it raises for everyone, but it affects the poor (or those with the fewest dollars) the MOST.

    See: Price/wage spiral

    So, the fact that minimum wage hasnt kept up with Inflation, is moot because all wages are affected by this. If you raised everyones wages to $12 or $40 hour tomorrow, everything would slide up, and the net effect would be ZILCH. I dont know how many times I have to say this for you to understand it but low wage workers make low wages, CRAZY I KNOW. You dont help them by paying them more and inflating their wages, you move them into a better job. You also ignore the possibility that prices will change.

    I think its laughable that people want to argue wages not keeping up with inflation, then want to implement inflation to solve the problem. LOL Sure it bothers the low wage earners the most as previously stated, but you dont help them by raising the price floor for no reason but to "make them have a better life" unless you want to suffer the consequences.

    you dont eradicate poverty with inflation
    The neoclassical model of economics says that raising the price floor (minimum wages) above the equilibrium wage (what typical market forces dictate wages should be and have leveled off at) should create unemployment, but this model is typically based on simple supply and demand curves, and often overlooks other complicating factors, for example, the monopsony that exists in the labor market, or that the buyers (employers) have more market power than the sellers (employees).
    *Uses big words stolen from some other web site*



    A number of economists have accepted the theory (read: explanation, not "guess") that increases in minimum wage have little to no negative effect on employment. Kruger and Card did some extensive research on the subject

    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf
    Theories are educated guesses. Otherwise they would be called facts. I think you mean Kreuger not Kruger

    Furthermore, these economists have adopted the theory that minimum wages have an overall positive effect on poverty. Here's a study by Addison and Blackburn describing the "poverty-reducing" effect of minimum wages.

    http://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/104...5/1/dp4298.pdf
    well, unless you look at poverty charts like this that show it hasnt changed



    Am I for raising the minimum wage? Yes and no. I like the case David Cooper of the Economic Policy Institute makes for raising it to $10 an hour, in incremental increases (like what's been done almost every time minimum wage has been increased.
    Its a very short sighted way of helping people. The initial impact will help, but long term, we will wind up where we are now, arguing for more wage increases to help the poor which show it doesnt work.

    Look you can raise minimum wage all you want, just dont complain when Mcdonalds lays people off to keep their costs somewhat static. Will you trade jobs for higher wages? The conversation should be how to get low wage earners into better jobs, not paying their low wage jobs more because they cant be better workers.


    Anyone care to refute. Please make sure you bring "sound evidence", or am I going to have to treat all subsequent posts as garbage in/garbage out and give a philosophical lesson in source credibility?
    Anything we post wont be accepted because you are a dense partisan person who has tunnel vision.



    I would feel differently if we were in the position of economic strength, but we arent. If economy was booming then you could argue, but with 7+% -9% of people still UE, and the labor force shrinking, the last thing you want to do is make businesses choose between layoffs and employing when you raise their costs.


    http://247wallst.com/jobs/2013/07/31...lds-8-billion/
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  18. #58
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    I was hoping you'd post that study. LOL

    LOL I rest my case, right on cue. Only his sources are accepted, only his data is relevant.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  19. #59
    wherever God leads geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    gwinnett
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    ^ Careful, if you don't agree with his opinion or his views on the economy...you might be labeled a racist or bigot....you obviously want these minimum wage poor folks to starve and die you evil capitalist!
    riding for God crew member #1


    IA Domestic Alliance

  20. #60
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    And so it begins, the "Blank only accepts his own sources of information as facts" conundrum. Ill bite.
    You really shouldn't. But, your choice...

    Has inflation outpaced ALL wages? It affects everyone, not just the low wage earner. Im not sure you understand how inflation works. You cant put the low wage earners in a bubble and talk about how inflation hasnt kept pace with them, and ignore every other wage earner and pretend they are in a vacuum and dont suffer the same effect.

    If inflation raised 20% tomorrow, it raises for everyone, but it affects the poor (or those with the fewest dollars) the MOST.

    See: Price/wage spiral

    So, the fact that minimum wage hasnt kept up with Inflation, is moot because all wages are affected by this. If you raised everyones wages to $12 or $40 hour tomorrow, everything would slide up, and the net effect would be ZILCH. I dont know how many times I have to say this for you to understand it but low wage workers make low wages, CRAZY I KNOW. You dont help them by paying them more and inflating their wages, you move them into a better job. You also ignore the possibility that prices will change.

    I think its laughable that people want to argue wages not keeping up with inflation, then want to implement inflation to solve the problem. LOL Sure it bothers the low wage earners the most as previously stated, but you dont help them by raising the price floor for no reason but to "make them have a better life" unless you want to suffer the consequences.
    Your evidence to support this?

    you dont eradicate poverty with inflation
    strawman.


    Theories are educated guesses.
    Unequivocally false. No one with a formal education thinks theories are educated guesses. Especially with any type of declaration in economic sciences.

    Look you can raise minimum wage all you want, just dont complain when Mcdonalds lays people off to keep their costs somewhat static. Will you trade jobs for higher wages? The conversation should be how to get low wage earners into better jobs, not paying their low wage jobs more because they cant be better workers.
    Evidence shows the opposite effect on employment, yet you can't provide evidence that refutes it, and still state it as truth anyway.



    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    LOL I rest my case, right on cue. Only his sources are accepted, only his data is relevant.
    Newumark and Waschers data was peer-reviewed and refuted within the economic community. I don't know how else to put that to you. If you want to believe in it because it aligns with your ideals, that's your prerogative. Just understand that isn't how sciences have ever worked.

    Unless someone is going to post some sound evidence on deservedness and labor markets, I think I'm done with this thread.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  21. #61
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    INB4 we start posting Peter Shiff articles

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  22. #62
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    You really shouldn't. But, your choice...

    Your evidence to support this?
    Yeah, like, its fact man. Inflation impacts everyone. How do you not know this LOL Most economists agree that inflation hurts the poor more than the rich, because they have less dollars. I mean these are simple concepts.

    If you have $100 and inflation makes it worth $90, its worse for you than say, me with $1,000,000 and not its worth $900,000. We both see a 10% loss, but who is REALLY hurt? Conversely, if your $10 hour wage becomes $20/hr, and my $100,000 income becomes $200,000, we both saw a 100% increase, but if prices for milk raise 50%, you will be hurt more. You have less dollars to spend, therefore price changes affect you more. THIS I THE WHOLE REASON FOR THIS ARGUMENT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

    Again, simple econ concepts.

    strawman.
    Not a strawman, inflation , which is what doubling minimum wage would do, doesnt solve poverty. Heres the most i can dumb it down:
    $10/hr isnt enough, i cant survive
    Raise Minimum wage to $15/hr
    People making $15/hr before MW hike, now make $20/hr
    Costs rise for all businesses
    Price raise to reflect the added costs now associated
    Jobs are lost due to rising prices

    Nothing changes and in 10 years youll want to raise MW to $20/hr and start all over again.


    Unequivocally false. No one with a formal education thinks theories are educated guesses. Especially with any type of declaration in economic sciences.
    Theory is a contemplative and rational type of abstract or generalizing thinking, or the results of such thinking. Depending on the context, the results might for example include generalized explanations of how nature works. The word has its roots in ancient Greek, but in modern use it has taken on several different related meanings. A theory is not the same as a hypothesis. A theory provides an explanatory framework for some observation, and from the assumptions of the explanation follows a number of possible hypotheses that can be tested in order to provide support for, or challenge, the theory.
    Evidence shows the opposite effect on employment, yet you can't provide evidence that refutes it, and still state it as truth anyway.

    I can provide economic data that refutes their findings, (and have) that you have dismissed because you dont agree with it.



    Newumark and Waschers data was peer-reviewed and refuted within the economic community. I don't know how else to put that to you. If you want to believe in it because it aligns with your ideals, that's your prerogative. Just understand that isn't how sciences have ever worked.

    Unless someone is going to post some sound evidence on deservedness and labor markets, I think I'm done with this thread.
    Nothing we post youll give any credit to because you have demonstrated the lack of mental capacity to understand simple econ concepts. You cite handpicked data to back your argument, and dismiss anyone elses data as "biased"

    you cant argue with irrational people.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  23. #63
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    INB4 we start posting Peter Shiff articles
    Because Peter Schiff is so biased right? Because he doesnt support your views?

    I guess a leading investor/economist has no value in your eyes.

    Again, Blank likes to use his own data and refuse to use his own brain, then dismiss anything that doesnt agree with him
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  24. #64
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Yeah, like, its fact man. Inflation impacts everyone. How do you not know this LOL Most economists agree that inflation hurts the poor more than the rich, because they have less dollars. I mean these are simple concepts.

    If you have $100 and inflation makes it worth $90, its worse for you than say, me with $1,000,000 and not its worth $900,000. We both see a 10% loss, but who is REALLY hurt? Conversely, if your $10 hour wage becomes $20/hr, and my $100,000 income becomes $200,000, we both saw a 100% increase, but if prices for milk raise 50%, you will be hurt more. You have less dollars to spend, therefore price changes affect you more. THIS I THE WHOLE REASON FOR THIS ARGUMENT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

    Again, simple econ concepts.
    And we're talking about advanced economic concepts.

    Theory is a contemplative and rational type of abstract or generalizing thinking, or the results of such thinking. Depending on the context, the results might for example include generalized explanations of how nature works. The word has its roots in ancient Greek, but in modern use it has taken on several different related meanings. A theory is not the same as a hypothesis. A theory provides an explanatory framework for some observation, and from the assumptions of the explanation follows a number of possible hypotheses that can be tested in order to provide support for, or challenge, the theory.
    Thank you for being honest and posting the actual definition of theory. Can we expect this level of honesty with the rest of your posts?

    I can provide economic data that refutes their findings...
    Where is it? That's what I'm waiting for. Echo has made the only attempt at providing economic data.

    Nothing we post youll give any credit to because you have demonstrated the lack of mental capacity to understand simple econ concepts. You cite handpicked data to back your argument, and dismiss anyone elses data as "biased"
    Just do it the right way. I cited established economic data, Echo made and honest attempt to refute that data, but the study he used was reviewed and refuted by the economic community, and thusly replied to. I pointed it out for him. End of story

    you cant argue with irrational people.
    I know. You don't have to tell me. I know. LOL

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  25. #65
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Because Peter Schiff is so biased right? Because he doesnt support your views?

    I guess a leading investor...
    Lets stop right there. A leading economist he is not. Do not confuse an economist with someone who posts on a blog their views on profit maximization and how much he wants to link it with a global economic model.

    He is an investor. Nothing more. If I want advice on how to maximize my return on my investment portfolio, me and him can have a discussion.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  26. #66
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blank.CD
    Where is it? That's what I'm waiting for. Echo has made the only attempt at providing economic data.
    To your little hearts content. Specifically addressing the Neumark (which you dismiss)and Kreuger studies (which are not accepted as facts). But Im sure "Its FORBES DOE SO I DONT BELIEVE IT" is coming

    The Minimum Wage Typifies Much That Is Wrong With Washington - Forbes

    Point is, your study has glaring holes in it, and the Neumark study is just as ambiguous. yet, you choose to accept one and not the other.

    So rather than waste my time posting more data (which you ignore and have ignored , didnt even respond to the poverty chart) , Ill just concede you live in a dark corner of a room with a very small view of the world.

    Youre irrational, its impossible to have any type of legitimate discussion with you.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  27. #67
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Mark Wilson of Applied Economic Strategies warned in a Cato Institute:
    The minimum wage is no weapon against poverty. Explained Wilson: “Since 1995, eight studies have examined the income and poverty effects of minimum wage increases, and all but one have found that past minimum wage hikes had no effect on poverty.”
    /THREAD
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  28. #68
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    /THREAD
    This thread ended a long time ago. You just keep wanting to drag out the inevitable conclusion. LMAO

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  29. #69
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    GAME SET MATCH. Thanks for playing
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  30. #70
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    GAME SET MATCH. Thanks for playing
    Yessir. You thoroughly schooled me with your Forbes opinion articles. LOL

    If I would've known it was that easy to rebuff empirical research, I would've just cited other people's opinions the whole time.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  31. #71
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Interesting dynamic on this forum. Starts out with..
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    See that's the thing. Everyone here has presented sound evidence as to why this wont work..
    And then when the "liberal" presents actual evidence...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    And so it begins, the "Blank only accepts his own sources of information as facts" conundrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    LOL I rest my case, right on cue. Only his sources are accepted, only his data is relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    ^ Careful, if you don't agree with his opinion or his views on the economy...you might be labeled a racist or bigot....you obviously want these minimum wage poor folks to starve and die you evil capitalist!
    And then when more opinions are presented as factual evidence...

    It's...

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    GAME SET MATCH. Thanks for playing
    Why I keep playing this game, I dunno. Maybe I'm just a sadistic asshole who likes to watch willfully ignorant people squirm and go through cognitive dissonance when they're presented with evidence that rebuffs their belief system.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  32. #72
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Yessir. You thoroughly schooled me with your Forbes opinion articles. LOL

    If I would've known it was that easy to rebuff empirical research, I would've just cited other people's opinions the whole time.
    Article cited numerous economists and economic studies. COnclusion is based upon opinion drawn from those studies, thats how theories work.

    Again, I CALLED IT. No data is acceptable to you unless its what you believe.

    Forum troll is trolling

    So this is opinion?
    Since 1995, eight studies have examined the income and poverty effects of minimum wage increases, and all but one have found that past minimum wage hikes had no effect on poverty.”
    mark Wilson is an economist. But I guess his opinion doesnt matter since it doesnt jive with your world view
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  33. #73
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Blank.cd, "where facts are opinions and opinions are facts depending on how I feel"

    Typical liberal
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  34. #74
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Article cited numerous economists and economic studies. COnclusion is based upon opinion drawn from those studies, thats how theories work.

    Again, I CALLED IT. No data is acceptable to you unless its what you believe.
    Looked for a bibliography, didn't exist. Nor did any links to any studies. If you do that in college, you lose your academic scholarships and you get dropped faster than Phil Robertson from A&E. It's cool on forbes though...

    I'm not sure you know what "cite" means

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  35. #75
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Looked for a bibliography, didn't exist. Nor did any links to any studies. If you do that in college, you lose your academic scholarships and you get dropped faster than Phil Robertson from A&E. It's cool on forbes though...
    its not my job to go look up all 8 studies, do your own research.

    So the studies and people he quoted are false?

    explain.

    Numerous studies were cited, as well as interviews with leading economists that challenged both claims of both studies. Thats not relevant.
    AHH so Forbes, the leading financial magazine, isnt trustworthy because no bibliography. Do you want me to write a report and use citations, i can do that.

    Also, this is his resume
    He has over 25 years of economic policy experience including serving seven years as Deputy Assistant Secretary for Employment Standards Administration at the U.S. Department of Labor for President Bush. There he oversaw and administered the Wage and Hour Division, the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, and the Office of Labor-Management Standards. Mr. Wilson was also a Research Fellow at The Heritage Foundation, and Senior Economist, in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Policy, U.S. Department of Labor.

    Mr. Wilson has published or co-authored over 80 research papers, testified more than 12 times before Congress, and has frequently briefed members of Congress and the Administration. He has also appeared on a number of national radio and television shows, including, CNN, CNBC, Fox News, and C-SPAN, as well as publishing numerous op-eds in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Washington Times, and various state newspapers.

    Mr. Wilson has a B.A. in economics, and minors in finance and statistics from Kent State University, as well as masters degree studies in economics at George Washington University. He is a member of the American Economic Association and the National Association for Business Economics.
    Not trustworthy doe
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  36. #76
    Who is John Galt? Echonova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    90
    Posts
    26,989
    Rep Power
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    I was hoping you'd post that study. LOL



    Minimum wage trends: Understanding past and contemporary research | Economic Policy Institute

    To which Card Kruger reexamine their data followed up with...

    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

    They concluded this time that:
    All I know is, in 3 hours you personally read the entire study, fact checked all the footnotes/sources and came to your own conclusion about it, rather than Google and regurgitate somebody elses opinion.

    So on that basis I accept that we need higher minimum wages.

  37. #77
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    All I know is, in 3 hours you personally read the entire study, fact checked all the footnotes/sources and came to your own conclusion about it, rather than Google and regurgitate somebody elses opinion.

    So on that basis I accept that we need higher minimum wages.
    In three hours? No. I've read all about that before. I do read pretty fast though.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  38. #78
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    its not my job to go look up all 8 studies, do your own research.
    That's weird. When I do it it's....

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    And so it begins, the "Blank only accepts his own sources of information as facts" conundrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    LOL I rest my case, right on cue. Only his sources are accepted, only his data is relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    ^ Careful, if you don't agree with his opinion or his views on the economy...you might be labeled a racist or bigot....you obviously want these minimum wage poor folks to starve and die you evil capitalist!
    Weird how that works huh?

    Oh well. Such is cognitive dissonance

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  39. #79
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    That's weird. When I do it it's....
    I was merely taking the same position you do with everyone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blank.cd
    Surely I shouldn't have to do the work of a religious scholar like yourself.
    It was to show you how 2 faced you are in arguing. When you anyone posts something of substance its refuted as not truthful because you dont agree with it. Or when you get backed into a corner you resort to acting like youre the smartest guy in the room. Or you ask vague questions to try and steer the discussion into a different arena.

    You posted a study, I posted information contradicting that study. You claim my study was false (despite it coming from the CBO LOL)

    I post an economists article that is easily as reputable as your economist, but you say its Bullshit because its from Forbes and theres no bibliography (despite the fact that Wilson has over 80+ research papers on file you can go read).

    Just funny, must be awfully small in that head of yours
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  40. #80
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    I was merely taking the same position you do with everyone else.



    It was to show you how 2 faced you are in arguing. When you anyone posts something of substance its refuted as not truthful because you dont agree with it. Or when you get backed into a corner you resort to acting like youre the smartest guy in the room. Or you ask vague questions to try and steer the discussion into a different arena.

    You posted a study, I posted information contradicting that study. You claim my study was false (despite it coming from the CBO LOL)

    I post an economists article that is easily as reputable as your economist, but you say its Bullshit because its from Forbes and theres no bibliography (despite the fact that Wilson has over 80+ research papers on file you can go read).

    Just funny, must be awfully small in that head of yours
    Stop. Take a breath. Sip a beverage of your choice. Realize you're talking to someone who thinks psychology is an exact science. Lower expectations for intelligence accordingly.
    Last edited by Sinfix_15; 12-20-2013 at 08:59 PM.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ImportAtlanta is a community of gearheads and car enthusiasts. It does not matter what kind of car or bike you drive, IA is an open community for any gearhead. Whether you're looking for advice on a performance build or posting your wheels for sale, you're welcome here!
Announcement
Welcome back to ImportAtlanta. We are currently undergoing many changes, so please report any issues you encounter with the site using the 'Contact Us' button below. Thank you!