Thread: Senate Democrats stop filibusters on nominations

Default Senate Democrats stop filibusters on nominations

Senate Democrats stop filibusters on nominations | Reuters

(Reuters) - The Democratic-led Senate, in a historic rule change, stripped Republicans on Thursday of their ability to block President Barack Obama's judicial and executive branch nominees.

On a nearly party-line vote of 52-48, Democrats abruptly changed the Senate's balance of power by reducing from 60 to 51 the number of votes needed to end procedural roadblocks known as filibusters against all presidential nominees, except those for the U.S. Supreme Court.
    When/if the pendulum swings back and Republicans are in control again I'm sure they'll be bitching about the use of the very rule change they enacted.

Hope the Democrats lose the senate, and GOP flips them off.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

If the American electorate wasnt so stupid I would say this move could damage the dems for generations. Unfortunately you have a large majority of voters whose full understanding of American politics ends with the R or D next to a politician's name.

That said, this could be a major rallying cry for the GOP and a chance to take the Senate next year.

U.S. Senate Races

A quick look at the 2014 dems up for reelection next year, I could reasonably see the GOP taking the Senate with a 56-44 majority. That does mean the GOP doesnt lose any seats it currently holds and gains 11 or the 20 seats currently held by dems. 5 of those seats are currently held by retiring members, 4 of those seats are center right states. 5 more seats are in red states.

Republicans will abuse this just as much as the Democrats are about to... They're both the same monster at this point.

Need to bump up my timetable, I'm gonna come up short at this rate.

I agree, but will be funny to watch Democrats freak out when GOP regains senate.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

I bet they'll do their damnedest to find a way to change it back if they see they are about to lose the senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    I bet they'll do their damnedest to find a way to change it back if they see they are about to lose the senate.
    Won't have to. Mitch McConnell said today if the Republicans get the Senate back they will reverse this rule... Thereby automatically giving the Dems power back that they wouldn't have had otherwise.

I can only imagine what this country would look like if we had two legitimate separate parties.

Good 'ol Bitch McConnell, always lookin out.

Since 1949, as far back as the Congressional Research Service has kept records on it, there have been 147 motions of cloture, of which, 79 motions have been since 2009.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ees-have-been/

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Since 1949, as far back as the Congressional Research Service has kept records on it, there have been 147 motions of cloture, of which, 79 motions have been since 2009.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ees-have-been/
    If Obama would quit nominating genuine radicals, I'm sure the Republicans would be happy to roll over. Unfortunately Obama can't not be himself, thereby forcing the Republicans to pretend they're not in on it. They haven't come out of the closet yet like he has.

All of the sudden, 79 "radicals" came out of nowhere. More than any other time in history.

Sounds legit

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

All of the sudden, 79 "radicals" came out of nowhere. More than any other time in history.

Sounds legit

I know you will defend anything a democrat does, but at what point does your undying loyalty end? Even some of the furthest left new organizations are questioning the intlligence of this move. Really, if 1 party can change the rules for 1 set of votes, they can change the voting rules for any vote. If the GOP wins the Senate next year and they decide to change the rules and repeal Obamacare with only 51 votes, would you be just as much in favor?

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    I know you will defend anything a democrat does, but at what point does your undying loyalty end?
    I don't have an undying loyalty at all actually. But since this forum is HEAVILY "conservative", democrats are naturally getting an unbalanced amount of unfair scrutiny.

Even some of the furthest left new organizations are questioning the intlligence of this move.
    What does that have to do with me?

Really, if 1 party can change the rules for 1 set of votes, they can change the voting rules for any vote. If the GOP wins the Senate next year and they decide to change the rules and repeal Obamacare with only 51 votes, would you be just as much in favor?
    It won't happen. But if it happens, it happens.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Sounds legit
    Your tyrant king brought out the worst in people. Even yourself is blinded by the liberal messiah. Break free of the chains and put down the cool-aid blank.

I don't have an undying loyalty at all actually. But since this forum is HEAVILY "conservative", democrats are naturally getting an unbalanced amount of unfair scrutiny.
    Yes you do and the reason this forum feels heavily conservative to you is because you're leaning bat shit crazy to the left. All scrutiny of democrats is deserved.

When the majority can change the rules on a whim, there are no rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Yes you do and the reason this forum feels heavily conservative to you is because you're leaning bat shit crazy to the left. All scrutiny of democrats is deserved.
    Batshit crazy to the left huh? Lol

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Batshit crazy to the left huh? Lol
    yep. You're worse than all of the mindless zombie Obamacrats..... you have a functional brain and should know better. You're willfully ignorant because you want to be, not because you have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    yep. You're worse than all of the mindless zombie Obamacrats..... you have a functional brain and should know better. You're willfully ignorant because you want to be, not because you have to be.
    Meh... I think blank comes by it honestly.

Maybe it's just me, but I can respect a guy that truly believes in what he says. Does that make him any more right??? No. But I can respect it. Would rather argue a "true believer" than someone (like Obama) that would straight up lie to you to your face any day.