Thread: Hypothetical Situation Debate

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Default Hypothetical Situation Debate

So I was browsing Bookface and ran across a lady who had a stranger come to her door around 8:00 - 8:30 PM. She did not know the person, thought it was weird, yada yada.

So as posting went on, people started telling her ways she should handle it and one was to tell the person you were armed.

I recommended not even mentioning being armed.

I would:

-Ask what they needed.
    -Then either:
    A. Tell them to leave.
    B. Help them depending on who/what it is.

-If they refused to leave, then I may mention I am armed and/or have called the police as well.

For some reason, by not immediately throwing out (use a country voice) "I am armed and will protect myself!" in the first sentence makes me a 2nd amendment hating non-American.

What would you do? Knock on the door. 8:30PM. Start throwing out gun talk and immediately ask them to leave, just say leave, what?

Purely curious.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Unless they were under some type of obvious distress and in need of medical care, id very bluntly ask them to leave. Depending on the severity of the situation, id probably lean towards being overly rude.

My wife/GF, i would instruct not to open the door and ask them to leave or the police will be called.

You never need to mention whether or not you have a firearm in that particular situation. If you need to actually pull the trigger, then they will find out that you were armed. They do not need to know before that.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

I generally just let my boxer and lab let people know when they're not welcome, seems to work pretty well. If it's after dark, you won't probably won't get a response from me if I'm not expecting you unless you continue to hang around for no reason.

Never tell anyone you are armed. This is a piece of info no one needs to know until you decide to squeeze that first round off.

Saw a guy open carrying a while back and I just dont understand that. If you are ever in a life threatening situation where that firearm is needed, the fact that the aggressors know you have it means you are likely dead before you even know you need it.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    Never tell anyone you are armed. This is a piece of info no one needs to know until you decide to squeeze that first round off.

Saw a guy open carrying a while back and I just dont understand that. If you are ever in a life threatening situation where that firearm is needed, the fact that the aggressors know you have it means you are likely dead before you even know you need it.
    Very true.

Example scenario, you're in a bank when someone robs if. If they walk in and see you with a gun, you're probably gonna be the 1st person shot before you even know anything is going down.

Never forfeit the element of surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    You never need to mention whether or not you have a firearm in that particular situation. If you need to actually pull the trigger, then they will find out that you were armed. They do not need to know before that.
    That's exactly what I argued but supposedly "I'm an idiot and any cop will tell me otherwise."

I've had a few late night knocks. Once was only around 10:00PM. I was already laying down, went to the door and not politely asked who it was, ended up being my neighbor telling me my dome light was on.

Second time was closer to midnight. That time had me a little more on my toes and I went to the door armed. I didn't answer just peaked through and saw a girl, I decided to just sit there and watch her. She stood there and then walked away and I noticed it being my other neighbor. Once I saw she was alone I opened the door and it was an emergency, her baby needed to go to the ER and she didn't have a phone.

Ive only had 1 situation where I went to the door armed. It was about 11:30 pm and someone started banging on my front door. Went over and looked. I realized they were just at the wrong house when they started talking about a party. They were going to my neighbor's house and just went to the wrong place.

Id say a female should never open a door to a stranger period !!

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    Id say a female should never open a door to a stranger period !!
    Well duh.

Unless like I said she knew them or it was pretty clear what was going on.

Islander

I hardly answer unknown knocks during the day, let alone at night. I just peek and see what they are doing. If it is one of my neighbors, I will assist. (You really need to get to know your neighbors and look out for each other. I know my entire cul-de-sac on a first name basis).
    If it is a stranger, most likely it ends up being a door to door sales guy. If it is at night most often it's someone up to no good. I've heard enough ridiculous excuses (you mean, you travel all the way to a strange neighborhood with no phone and no money for gas, and all of a sudden need to use my home phone? LOL ya right.). In that case I ask them to politely leave and that my finger is ready to dial 911. Never tell someone you are armed. IF they get in to harm you, it will be through a kicked in door. In that case they will be met with lead.
    I got free clear tails with my ride.....