Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Government shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Your mental process completely changes when the topic is about something you're emotionally attached to.you will lie, manipulate, and distort reality to maintain your belief system. You're a lot like the Christians you badger, the only exception being that they have less evidence to prove them wrong.
    What am I emotionally attached to? National parks? Veterans? Or the barricades?

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Ur right. It was just a show. Obama punishing Americans who disagree with him was just part of the show. The gov doesn't shut down.it is all political posturing.
    It's not just Obama, both sides are complete cry babies that are focused on winning or losing arguments.

As for the closure of parks, monuments, etc. That was a joke. I swear it took more effort to keep them closed than to keep them open. Someone was just telling me the other day their friend went somewhere up north for a huge kayak trip that as planned months in advance and they were told they couldn't get on the river....LOL. What???

Anyone that previously thought we need a revolution, I'm 95% on board now. What a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    What is there to explain? You're not allowed into the park if it's closed. I don't see what the issue is or what you're not understanding?
    Operating Hours & Seasons

The public may visit the World War II Memorial 24 hours a day. Rangers are on duty to answer questions from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. daily and to provide interpretive programs every hour on the hour from 10:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m.
    Do they erect barriers every evening to prevent vandals from getting in overnight when the memorial is not staffed? No, they don't. The WWII memorial in DC is an open air memorial that is accessible to the public 24 hrs a day, It never closes, even when it is not staffed. The premise that the memorial needed to be closed to prevent vandals from defacing it is absurd, it is accessible to anyone at all daily from 11:30 p.m. to 9:30 a.m. with no staff on site to "protect" it, and somehow it doesn't get vandalized every night. Funny that. The closing of open air freely accessible memorials and monuments was nothing more than a political move of the federal gov't flexing it's muscle when it didn't get it's way and fueling the narrative against republicans for causing the shutdown. All of it was a show, from both sides, and one side came out looking better than the other because of media coverage and the ability to use the bully pulpit to get it's way.

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    Do they erect barriers every evening to prevent vandals from getting in overnight when the memorial is not staffed? No, they don't. The WWII memorial in DC is an open air memorial that is accessible to the public 24 hrs a day, It never closes, even when it is not staffed. The premise that the memorial needed to be closed to prevent vandals from defacing it is absurd, it is accessible to anyone at all daily from 11:30 p.m. to 9:30 a.m. with no staff on site to "protect" it, and somehow it doesn't get vandalized every night. Funny that. The closing of open air freely accessible memorials and monuments was nothing more than a political move of the federal gov't flexing it's muscle when it didn't get it's way and fueling the narrative against republicans for causing the shutdown. All of it was a show, from both sides, and one side came out looking better than the other because of media coverage and the ability to use the bully pulpit to get it's way.
    THIS!!!

Blank are you really sticking up for anything from the shutdown?

Closing parks is even stupid, during a shutdown a sign should real:

SORRY DUE TO THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN THERE IS NO PARK RANGER ON DUTY. ACTIVITIES ARE DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Elbow View Post
    It's not just Obama, both sides are complete cry babies that are focused on winning or losing arguments.

As for the closure of parks, monuments, etc. That was a joke. I swear it took more effort to keep them closed than to keep them open. Someone was just telling me the other day their friend went somewhere up north for a huge kayak trip that as planned months in advance and they were told they couldn't get on the river....LOL. What???

Anyone that previously thought we need a revolution, I'm 95% on board now. What a joke!
    Did you also see the link i posted about them kicking people out of their homes if they were on leased federal land? This truly was a sad and disgraceful day for America. They even blocked the road to prevent people from driving past my rushmore.............. as if anyone could vandalize a damn mountain....

No, it's not just Obama. Yes, Republicans are LARGELY to blame also. The government is one big game of good cop bad cop between republicans and democrats with no concern over the suffering being inflicted on American citizens. This whole charade should be a massive reminder about why we have constitutional rights to begin with. They were never designed to restrict people, they were designed to restrict government.... more specifically, a government like THIS government.

THIS!!!

Blank are you really sticking up for anything from the shutdown?

Closing parks is even stupid, during a shutdown a sign should real:

SORRY DUE TO THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN THERE IS NO PARK RANGER ON DUTY. ACTIVITIES ARE DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    What did I say that made you think I was "sticking up" for anything?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

IDK.... maybe the fact that you made up a lie to justify it, then posted a picture of something that happened 2600 miles away from it and blamed it on the veterans to justify it.... maybe the fact that everything you've said is either ridiculous nonsense pulled directly out of your ass or in defense of the shutdown...

idk, it was probably that..... maybe.

You are steadfast in your defense of the closure of an open air memorial that NEVER closes.

I am not the least bit surprised that you skipped right over my reply to you.

Well you're arguing so...I would assume that's because you don't agree the shuntdown or the actions during the shutdown were unjustified.

Blank's argument summarized, for those who need cliff notes.

"This could have been done by the tea party. The monuments needed protecting from vandals.
    "

Steadfast? You asked one time why would anyone close down a park, I gave you a reason and that was it. Lol. I skipped over your reply cause you answered your own question. To be honest. I really don't give a damn. If I want to go to a national park, I'll go when it's open. I, as mr. John Q. Public, am not inconvenienced in any way what so ever by the closure of a memorial. This is the unfortunate consequence of receiving federal funds, that it is controlled to some degree by the federal government. Don't like it? Get a collection going and buy the property they sit on.

This whole park/memorial shut down thing is a red herring. There's actual shit going on that actually matters. No one who has two brain cells to rub together actually believed Obama would renege on the ACA. It was a core tenant of his entire campaign, he got it passed every way it could be passed with bipartisan support. Why on planet earth would you think he'd be willing to roll over on that?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Steadfast? You asked one time why would anyone close down a park, I gave you a reason and that was it. Lol. I skipped over your reply cause you answered your own question. To be honest. I really don't give a damn. If I want to go to a national park, I'll go when it's open. I, as mr. John Q. Public, am not inconvenienced in any way what so ever by the closure of a memorial. This is the unfortunate consequence of receiving federal funds, that it is controlled to some degree by the federal government. Don't like it? Get a collection going and buy the property they sit on.

This whole park/memorial shut down thing is a red herring. There's actual shit going on that actually matters. No one who has two brain cells to rub together actually believed Obama would renege on the ACA. It was a core tenant of his entire campaign, he got it passed every way it could be passed with bipartisan support. Why on planet earth would you think he'd be willing to roll over on that?
    LOL.....

Just felt this needed to be quoted for public record.

This whole thing should serve as a PSA that everything that's funded by a government is subject to a suspension like this. This should make people who get government jobs or sign up for the armed forces aware that their paycheck is subject to a budget act, that is voted on by elected politicians, who represent a constituency, some of whom believe the earth is 6000 years old and that Obama is some kind of malevolent dictator.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

LOL.....

Just felt this needed to be quoted for public record.
    Quote it again. And then again on the next page. You should probably take the time and read it and understand it too, rather than just blindly quoting it.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote it again. And then again on the next page. You should probably take the time and read it and understand it too, rather than just blindly quoting it.
    I fully understand the depth of your willful ignorance. It's not a lack of mental capacity that makes you stupid, it's a choice.

So you think the government simply flexing its muscle is perfectly fine.

You also think people who work for the government should just be ok with no receiving pay if there is a shutdown because they should have known that up front.

Got it.

This whole park/memorial shut down thing is a red herring.
    So you agree that it was nothing more than a political stunt, the whole vandalism angle is nothing more than a thin excuse for the fed gov't to flex it's muscle?

There's actual shit going on that actually matters. No one who has two brain cells to rub together actually believed Obama would renege on the ACA. It was a core tenant of his entire campaign, he got it passed every way it could be passed with bipartisan support. Why on planet earth would you think he'd be willing to roll over on that?
    You're right, no one with common sense believed that he would renege on it, despite it's massive failures and shortcomings already. He will stand by it to the bitter end, whatever it may be. It's become such a massive failure now that even the MSNBC shills are calling a spade a spade:

You also think people who work for the government should just be ok with no receiving pay if there is a shutdown because they should have known that up front.

Got it.
    wait wait wait............

Government employees got back pay for the time the government was shutdown..... on top of receiving unemployment. Politicians also get paid during a shutdown.

Got it.
    If that's what you took from all that, sure. The US government has been "flexing its muscle" for some odd hundred number of years now, not sure how it's any different with Obama in office.

And I said people should be aware of the conditions on their paychecks, before they start receiving them. That's all I said.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Business as usual, the same as it's been for hundreds of years says the democrat....................

As Obama becomes the only president in American history to close memorials, evict citizens from their homes, close beaches, rivers, lakes and Mt Rushmore.

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    So you agree that it was nothing more than a political stunt, the whole vandalism angle is nothing more than a thin excuse for the fed gov't to flex it's muscle?
    I can't answer exactly why national parks were shut down. There are certainly examples of vandalism post-shutdown, so vandalism isn't neccessarily an angle, it's something that actually happend, and we're unaware how much vandalism would have occurred had there not been barriers. I can say for sure there are nuances of government the public and media are unaware of(as with anything), so there may or may not be a legitimate reason for the closure of parks and memorial sites.

You're right, no one with common sense believed that he would renege on it, despite it's massive failures and shortcomings already. He will stand by it to the bitter end, whatever it may be. It's become such a massive failure now that even the MSNBC shills are calling a spade a spade
    The government could be lying. It could not be. I don't believe the government lies or withholds information or even acts malevolently. And I'm not sure why we're comparing the ACA with a glitch in the exchange website. But it is not unreasonable that system that failed to meet its expected demands failed to keep an accurate count of the people who used that method to enroll in that system.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

wont read the 4 pages of probably dumb responses. But the reason is for maximum pain to the American public.

It was a tactic used to demonstrate what will happen if Government has to cut a budget or live within its means. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS, PARKS CLOSE, VACATIONS CANCELLED, END OF THE WORLD!!!!! And then blame it all the GOP. Its pretty scary , but, pretty awesome that the WW2 people fought back and piled the barricades in front of the white house.

The GOP is not squeaky clean in this either. They shut down the govt over "Obamacare" but it should have been over the budget. All they had to say was that the democrats needed to give a detailed budget and stick to it or the govt gets shutdown. They didnt do that. They played some stupid game for 2 weeks, and then caved and gave them everything they wanted.

GOP isnt serious about cutting spending, neither are the democrats.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Becaue im in IT, im not going to fault the website for having glitches and not working etc. This is the most massive roll out of a govt entitlement EVER.

What PISSES me off is that they paid 400+ Million to design a website that looks like it was created circa 1990 with compuserve or geocities. Why didnt we contract AMAZON to do it? GOOGLE?
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Business as usual, the same as it's been for hundreds of years says the democrat....................

As Obama becomes the only president in American history to close memorials, evict citizens from their homes, close beaches, rivers, lakes and Mt Rushmore.
    This answer tells me you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Do you have any idea how many times the government shut down before, in history or the cause of each of those shut downs?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    wont read the 4 pages of probably dumb responses. But the reason is for maximum pain to the American public.

It was a tactic used to demonstrate what will happen if Government has to cut a budget or live within its means. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS, PARKS CLOSE, VACATIONS CANCELLED, END OF THE WORLD!!!!! And then blame it all the GOP. Its pretty scary , but, pretty awesome that the WW2 people fought back and piled the barricades in front of the white house.

The GOP is not squeaky clean in this either. They shut down the govt over "Obamacare" but it should have been over the budget. All they had to say was that the democrats needed to give a detailed budget and stick to it or the govt gets shutdown. They didnt do that. They played some stupid game for 2 weeks, and then caved and gave them everything they wanted.

GOP isnt serious about cutting spending, neither are the democrats.
    How inaccurate would someone be if they called what happened Totalitarianism?

This answer tells me you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Do you have any idea how many times the government shut down before, in history or the cause of each of those shut downs?
    The government has shut down many times.......

I didnt say what you imagined i said.

The confirmation bias is strong with this one..............

It was a tactic used to demonstrate what will happen if Government has to cut a budget or live within its means. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS, PARKS CLOSE, VACATIONS CANCELLED, END OF THE WORLD!!!!! And then blame it all the GOP.
    Source?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

yeah but the 96 shutdown, we didnt close national parks and monuments. Not that I remember. Can you check that for me? (im honestly unsure).

I went to a DOD school and we were in session because they were "essential"
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Source?
    Reality.

It's really a swell place, you should join the rest of us.

The government has shut down many times.......

I didnt say what you imagined i said.

The confirmation bias is strong with this one..............
    You said Obama was the only president to close memorials and parks, did you not? Aside from the fact that Obama himself didn't close down anything, do you have a source for that? Or is that another one of your wild claims?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Source?
    eyeballs and some mild level critical thinking.

Have you been to the WW2 monument in DC? I have. its nearly IMPOSSIBLE to close it off. The lincoln memorial is much easier because its a building. The WW2 memorial is out in the open. It makes NO SENSE to barricade it and refuse access. NONE. All they had to say was that national outdoor monuments would not be affected. Theres no threat of VANDALISM, cmon gimme a break.

So to combat vandalism they sent in workers to barricade a monument that is otherwise unguarded? makes sense
    -www.usedbarcode.net

You said Obama was the only president to close memorials and parks, did you not? Aside from the fact that Obama himself didn't close down anything, do you have a source for that? Or is that another one of your wild claims?
    Obama didnt shut the govt down, but the WH instructed various agencies to do what they did. Thats not debatable. WH gave the orders
    -www.usedbarcode.net

yeah but the 96 shutdown, we didnt close national parks and monuments. Not that I remember. Can you check that for me? (im honestly unsure).

I went to a DOD school and we were in session because they were "essential"
    Memorials were open in 1996. Staffed parks were closed, no additional staff was employed to enforce park closures. There were no riot police or armored vehicles blocking open air memorials.

Memorials were open in 1996. Staffed parks were closed, no additional staff was employed to enforce park closures. There were no riot police or armored vehicles blocking open air memorials.
    I didnt think so, but i was in Germany at the time because my dad was working for NATO.

Its pretty obvious this was done to inflict most pain possible. And when people complained, point the finger at the EVIL GOP to score political points.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

eyeballs and some mild level critical thinking.

Have you been to the WW2 monument in DC? I have. its nearly IMPOSSIBLE to close it off. The lincoln memorial is much easier because its a building. The WW2 memorial is out in the open. It makes NO SENSE to barricade it and refuse access. NONE. All they had to say was that national outdoor monuments would not be affected. Theres no threat of VANDALISM, cmon gimme a break.

So to combat vandalism they sent in workers to barricade a monument that is otherwise unguarded? makes sense
    Eyeballs is your source?
    Obama didnt shut the govt down, but the WH instructed various agencies to do what they did. Thats not debatable. WH gave the orders
    Pretty specific. Surely there's a source out there other than just your gut feelings. Lol

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Blank would have been in this crowd if he was alive in the 1940s.

Fact for the day: NAZI was a member of the National Socialist German Workers' Party

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast