Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Education

  1. #1
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Education


    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  2. #2
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    saw this last night. WOULD LOVE To have this guy in one of my classes.

    Why is he spewing his own political views in an English class?
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  3. #3
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    saw this last night. WOULD LOVE To have this guy in one of my classes.

    Why is he spewing his own political views in an English class?
    I would have ripped that guy a new ass.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  4. #4
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    I would have ripped that guy a new ass.
    Sounds exactly like you.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  5. #5
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Sounds exactly like you.
    He's wasting an entire class' time. He needed someone to tell him to STFU. He also issued a threat to anyone who disagreed with him. Not speaking up empowers this idiot.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  6. #6
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    saw this last night. WOULD LOVE To have this guy in one of my classes.

    Why is he spewing his own political views in an English class?
    Because without more context, we can't tell if he's a student, a teacher, a guest speaker, whether he's instructing, or casually speaking.

    I say the same thing when people say evolution is a hoax, or that we're in debt beyond our eyeballs, within a classroom setting.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  7. #7
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    He's wasting an entire class' time. He needed someone to tell him to STFU. He also issued a threat to anyone who disagreed with him. Not speaking up empowers this idiot.
    Issued a threat?

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  8. #8
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Issued a threat?
    Did you watch the video?

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  9. #9
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Because without more context, we can't tell if he's a student, a teacher, a guest speaker, whether he's instructing, or casually speaking.

    I say the same thing when people say evolution is a hoax, or that we're in debt beyond our eyeballs, within a classroom setting.
    hes a professor at University of MIchigan, William Penn is his name (ironic).

    hes an English teacher, he has no business arguing politics at a University. This wasnt a Poli Sci class.

    Also, if a REPUBLICAN did this, Id be equally as outraged.

    The job of an educator isnt to indoctrinate people on political views, their job is to present a subject matter and teach facts, if its not a fact, then you present material and let your students make their own informed opinions. Calling a political party a bunch of old white people who raped the country (when you fit that demographic yourself) is just outright false and a lie. Its not a discussion, its mudslinging.

    You cant possibly believe that statement was totally ethical for an educator to say
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  10. #10
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    hes a professor at University of MIchigan, William Penn is his name (ironic).

    hes an English teacher, he has no business arguing politics at a University. This wasnt a Poli Sci class.

    Also, if a REPUBLICAN did this, Id be equally as outraged.

    The job of an educator isnt to indoctrinate people on political views, their job is to present a subject matter and teach facts, if its not a fact, then you present material and let your students make their own informed opinions.
    We're talking about democrats here...... there is no moral code of ethics with them. Indoctrination and disinformation are two of the biggest tools in their tool box. They would be standing bedside at birth to push liberal policies if they could. Hell, maybe they already are..... that might be why theyre such big abortion supporters, it reduces some of the ground they have to cover.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  11. #11
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  12. #12
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    indoctrinate...
    This word seems to be thrown around pretty liberally, in places where its not really the appropriate word to use

    its mudslinging.
    Thats better.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  13. #13
    Gods Chariot Vteckidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta Centennial Park
    Age
    38
    Posts
    33,102
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    This word seems to be thrown around pretty liberally, in places where its not really the appropriate word to use

    Thats better.
    I know what it means:
    in·doc·tri·nate
    inˈdäktrəˌnāt/
    verb
    verb: indoctrinate; 3rd person present: indoctrinates; past tense: indoctrinated; past participle: indoctrinated; gerund or present participle: indoctrinating

    1.
    teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.

    When its me and you, its mudslinging. When you are an EDUCATOR tasked with teaching young people , its indoctrinating.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

  14. #14
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    I know what it means:
    in·doc·tri·nate
    inˈdäktrəˌnāt/
    verb
    verb: indoctrinate; 3rd person present: indoctrinates; past tense: indoctrinated; past participle: indoctrinated; gerund or present participle: indoctrinating

    1.
    teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.

    When its me and you, its mudslinging. When you are an EDUCATOR tasked with teaching young people , its indoctrinating.
    Just because he's a teacher doesn't mean he's indoctrinating anyone. Indoctrination is pretty specific, and, at lest according to the video, it doesn't fit the definition. When we use words hyperbolically, they tend to lose their definition.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  15. #15
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Just because he's a teacher doesn't mean he's indoctrinating anyone. Indoctrination is pretty specific, and, at lest according to the video, it doesn't fit the definition. When we use words hyperbolically, they tend to lose their definition.
    This video is an example of indoctrination. You are wrong.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  16. #16
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    This video is an example of indoctrination. You are wrong.
    Sorry. It's not. It seems like it, since it appears to be in an instructional setting. But comments that we may or may disagree with does not automatically equal indoctrination.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  17. #17
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    29,397
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post

    The job of an educator isnt to indoctrinate people on political views, their job is to present a subject matter and teach facts, if its not a fact, then you present material and let your students make their own informed opinions. Calling a political party a bunch of old white people who raped the country (when you fit that demographic yourself) is just outright false and a lie. Its not a discussion, its mudslinging.
    This.

  18. #18
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    I don't have an issue with what he said, and I understand his point, just that he was trying to use the words 'mudslinging" and 'indoctrination' interchangeably. It may help us with our discussion to know the difference between the precise definitions of words and colloquialisms, which I feel some of us have learned the former in place of the latter

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  19. #19
    Moderator BanginJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hiram, GA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,499
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    When we use words hyperbolically, they tend to lose their definition.
    Like 'racism' has?



    BTW, the fact that he is a teacher, in a classroom setting, lends more credence to the indoctrination argument than simple mudslinging. You always claim to be so bog on context, maybe its time to use it yourself.

  20. #20
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    33

    Default Education

    Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    Like 'racism' has?



    BTW, the fact that he is a teacher, in a classroom setting, lends more credence to the indoctrination argument than simple mudslinging. You always claim to be so bog on context, maybe its time to use it yourself.
    Yes. Like racism. Another word used hyperbolically in this forum quite often.

    I am big on context, and based on the context provided, it does not fit the definition of indoctrination. Even if we swapped "Romney" with "Obama" and "republicans" with "democrats", it would still just be mudslinging. Indoctrination is pretty specific, and that simply didnt happen here. Unless he's said something else that's not on the video.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  21. #21
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  22. #22
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  23. #23
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    This is a class........ taking place at the university of maryland................


    seriously.......



    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  24. #24
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    29
    Last edited by Sinfix_15; 12-07-2013 at 12:57 AM.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ImportAtlanta is a community of gearheads and car enthusiasts. It does not matter what kind of car or bike you drive, IA is an open community for any gearhead. Whether you're looking for advice on a performance build or posting your wheels for sale, you're welcome here!
Announcement
Welcome back to ImportAtlanta. We are currently undergoing many changes, so please report any issues you encounter with the site using the 'Contact Us' button below. Thank you!