Thread: Racist or no?

Default Racist or no?

I say absolutely not and completely agree with the Dunkin Donuts Thia CEO.

Dunkin' Donuts apologizes for 'racist' blackface ad campaign | Fox News

The comments I agree with:
    "It's absolutely ridiculous," the CEO Nadim Salhani said in a telephone interview. "We're not allowed to use black to promote our doughnuts? I don't get it. What's the big fuss? What if the product was white and I painted someone white, would that be racist?"

"Not everybody in the world is paranoid about racism," said Salhani, a Lebanese expatriate in Thailand who said his teenage daughter was the model featured in the campaign.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

I don't think it's racist, what a joke. People are too up tight. I don't think I would have done the ad though if it were my business because you could see the backlash coming.

Islander

I find clowns that paint their faces white racist then.......... ban all clowns!! how dare they???
    I got free clear tails with my ride.....

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ISAtlanta300 View Post
    I find clowns that paint their faces white racist then.......... ban all clowns!! how dare they???

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...d-hate-crime-/ <<<< The NAACP said this was a hate crime and suggested the DOJ look into it.

Its getting to be a ridiculous, one sided circus of stupidity.

I hate everyone equally.
    '82 TE72 SR5 Sport Coupe
    3tc

Racism is one of those terms that has been over used over the last several years it no longer has a legitimate meaning.

NAACP is just talking themselves into obscurity. Its actually kind of sad because 25 years ago the NAACP was a very prominent organization with a real purpose. Now, just a mouthpiece for getting the colored folks all upity over nothing.

Got to disagree on this one. While it may not have intended to be about race, the pitch black face with bright red lips is iconic blackface. It's kind like, hey we made a picture of a white guy with a charlie chaplin mustache in a military uniform saluting. It may not be about Nazism but it sure as hell looks like Hitler. Is it the end of the world? Of course not, but when I saw that ad, I immediately thought blackface.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    Got to disagree on this one. While it may not have intended to be about race, the pitch black face with bright red lips is iconic blackface. It's kind like, hey we made a picture of a white guy with a charlie chaplin mustache in a military uniform saluting. It may not be about Nazism but it sure as hell looks like Hitler. Is it the end of the world? Of course not, but when I saw that ad, I immediately thought blackface.
    Put it in context, this commercial played in Thailand not Chicago. Either way, the boy has cried wolf so many times, at this point i dont care if the wolf eats him. False accusation of racism is a bigger issue in modern society than actual racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Put it in context, this commercial played in Thailand not Chicago.
    Sure, I agree it is quite possible if not highly likely it was not intended in a racist manner. But to those who are well aware of blackface and its history, it's a very easy connection to make.

Either way, the boy has cried wolf so many times, at this point i dont care if the wolf eats him. False accusation of racism is a bigger issue in modern society than actual racism.
    That is the main point I think. Some people are hypersensitive to race, others are desensitized to it and almost everyone thinks their personal feelings are the right ones.

Sure, I agree it is quite possible if not highly likely it was not intended in a racist manner. But to those who are well aware of blackface and its history, it's a very easy connection to make.

That is the main point I think. Some people are hypersensitive to race, others are desensitized to it and almost everyone thinks their personal feelings are the right ones.
    Statistics support my personal feelings.

I don't understand. Are you saying statistics dictate how people feel?

Islander

Sure, I agree it is quite possible if not highly likely it was not intended in a racist manner. But to those who are well aware of blackface and its history, it's a very easy connection to make..
    Trust me, I completely see your point of view.....

....however, it only BECOMES blackface to those who want to SEE it as blackface. Racism is a personal perception in this case. It would only be racist if the ad was indeed implying that it was blackface......in this case, it was not intended to be blackface....it is a f**king charcoal doughnut. lol
    I got free clear tails with my ride.....

Quote Originally Posted by ISAtlanta300 View Post
    Trust me, I completely see your point of view.....

....however, it only BECOMES blackface to those who want to SEE it as blackface. Racism is a personal perception in this case. It would only be racist if the ad was indeed implying that it was blackface......in this case, it was not intended to be blackface....it is a f**king charcoal doughnut. lol
    Yes, sounds like we are pretty much on the same page. Although I wouldn't say people "want" to see blackface. It's just what connection their mind naturally makes, there is not a choice about it. Also I don't think it would have been an issue if the entire face was black but they decided to make the lips bright red. That one little detail could have made it a non issue. Btw, whoever does the marketing over there should be fired. I mean seriously, who thinks a charcoal donut sounds delicious?

Yes, sounds like we are pretty much on the same page. Although I wouldn't say people "want" to see blackface. It's just what connection their mind naturally makes, there is not a choice about it. Also I don't think it would have been an issue if the entire face was black but they decided to make the lips bright red. That one little detail could have made it a non issue. Btw, whoever does the marketing over there should be fired. I mean seriously, who thinks a charcoal donut sounds delicious?
    It seems to be doing great though. The article says sales are up since the start of the campaign.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    It seems to be doing great though. The article says sales are up since the start of the campaign.
    Ohh maybe they are smarter than I thought. Create an ad that they know will cause controversy due to it's questionable race elements. Everyone will talk about it and now their charcoal donut is on everyone's minds. Sales soar. On second thought, maybe their marketing team should get bonuses.

Ohh maybe they are smarter than I thought. Create an ad that they know will cause controversy due to it's questionable race elements. Everyone will talk about it and now their charcoal donut is on everyone's minds. Sales soar. On second thought, maybe their marketing team should get bonuses.
    Theyre from thailand.......................................... ............................................. they dont have racism rammed down their throat daily by race hustlers like americans do. Is it beyond the realm of possibility that race wasnt on anyone's mind when making this commercial?

Theyre from thailand.......................................... ............................................. they dont have racism rammed down their throat daily by race hustlers like americans do. Is it beyond the realm of possibility that race wasnt on anyone's mind when making this commercial?
    I guessed you skipped over my post where I said that is most likely the case.

Agree with the ad or not, this tactic has worked here in the States dozens of times before. Think about the K-Mart "Ship My Pants" ad.

Absolutely! Ignorant or genius. You decide.

Absolutely! Ignorant or genius. You decide.
    A little of both.

Pretty much a standard marketing campaign there. Ignorant in thinking that it would be ignored. Genius in the way the CEO handled it, by basicly telling everyone to grow up.

Is it beyond the realm of possibility that race wasnt on anyone's mind when making this commercial?
    Didnt think you dealt in the "realm of possibility"

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01