Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dekalb school shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Evil is just a way to explain the unexplainable.
    Doesn't that also apply to a lot of mental illness though? We can't explain why this person acts in an unexplainable way so we call them crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    you see the conundrum though.

You said anyone who kills is insane, but then we both agree that Mcviegh wasnt, in the eyes of the law, insane

#WHOA
    No I didn't say anyone who kills is insane. I said anyone who kills with no logical reason is insane. That's a very important distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    To mcveigh it was rational , to us its not.

fuck, im creeping myself out now
    No it is completely logical to me. An entity (in this case the federal government) did something he believed was wrong and in return he bombed a building belonging to that entity. That's logical. Terrible, but logical.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    Doesn't that also apply to a lot of mental illness though? We can't explain why this person acts in an unexplainable way so we call them crazy.
    I personally view evil as a religious term. "mental illness" would be the scientific explanation for "evil". I dont think understanding mental illness will ever lead to preventing tragedies, at least not in a manner in which people would be willing to accept. Life is hard, some people are more or less equip to deal with various obstacles in life, but i dont think there's a reasonably accurate way to predict when someone is going to go crazy. The threshold for what makes a person snap is all over the map and i feel every single person on the planet has at least *some* potential to snap. Safety and freedom are on opposite sides of the scale, i dont believe there's a way to have both.

I agree with all that except the last statement. Sure absolute safety is not possible but not everything that increases safety decreases freedom and vice versa.

If one thing is clear, it's this...

We need more gun laws to keep 20yr old mentally ill felons from buying firearms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12