Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oprah

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    I actually bumped the wrong thread. Got to find the right one when I get some time. Maybe tomorrow after work, maybe this weekend.
    Good luck.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    What I posted were questions within a dialogue. "Racism Hoax?" is a headline to an editorial, which was sold to Sinfix as news. Do you understand the difference? Do you understand what's wrong with what was done in this case?
    Do you know what is wrong? I asked you to state it, yet you are still quiet.

Conservative groups, or conservative misinformation? These are two different things, and you're saying one thing, the website says another.
    A liberal group is in charge of deciding what is "conservative misinformation"? That doesn't strike you as a probable lack of objectivity?

Yes, MM should be held to a higher standard of journalism. Just because a site debunks misinformation of a conservative nature, as they claim, does not make them liberal.
    Have you even looked at their site, other than to cherry-pick articles to attempt to look like you are presenting some basis for your opinions? They were started and funded by groups made up completely of people who publicly state their political position as liberal Democrats.
    Media Matters for America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take your head out of the sand - you will see better.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Do you know what is wrong? I asked you to state it, yet you are still quiet.
    Im not quiet, I've answered this question already.

A liberal group is in charge of deciding what is "conservative misinformation"? That doesn't strike you as a probable lack of objectivity?
    No. What I'm gathering is that you believe only self-professed "conservatives" are capable of objective journalism, and should be the only ones responsible for debunking misinformation of a conservative nature.

Have you even looked at their site, other than to cherry-pick articles to attempt to look like you are presenting some basis for your opinions? They were started and funded by groups made up completely of people who publicly state their political position as liberal Democrats.
    Media Matters for America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes, I have looked at their site. Someone's self-professed political leanings should have little to do with their ability to ascertain facts.

If you say evolution is a hoax, it doesn't matter if 100,000 gay pot smoking atheist registered democrats tell you otherwise, "evolution is a hoax" is still misinformation. If everyone of them got together and sourced facts about evolution and presented them in a clear legible fashion, it would still be journalistic objectivity.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Im not quiet, I've answered this question already.
    I saw the other post after this one. I answered it. Your "Googling" of "laws/rules/guidelines for headlines" and not digging into the background and author of the article does not present you in a competent light. But that can stay in the other thread.

No. What I'm gathering is that you believe only self-professed "conservatives" are capable of objective journalism, and should be the only ones responsible for debunking misinformation of a conservative nature.
    You gather incorrectly. I never made a statement anything like that. I am simply pointing out the facts.

Yes, I have looked at their site. Someone's self-professed political leanings should have little to do with their ability to ascertain facts.
    On the contrary, their interpretation of facts/events/etc is directly related to how they present their articles. Anything other than a dry statement of raw factual details has the natural tendency to have the writer interject his own opinions into the article.

If you say evolution is a hoax, it doesn't matter if 100,000 gay pot smoking atheist registered democrats tell you otherwise, "evolution is a hoax" is still misinformation. If everyone of them got together and sourced facts about evolution and presented them in a clear legible fashion, it would still be journalistic objectivity.
    The key is the last line - facts. I don't have problems with factual data (that should be quite obvious). The issues arise when groups that are supposed to be objective instead present their interpretations of facts as the fact themselves - this happens in both the liberal and conservative camps of journalists; however, as I showed earlier, there are a much larger number of journalists who describe themselves as liberal.
    If a large group of people got together and sourced facts and presented them in a clear, legible fashion, but utilized their own interpretation of the sourced facts, is that still objective journalism. If you think so, then you should be quite happy with BOTH FNC and MSNBC.

I saw the other post after this one. I answered it. Your "Googling" of "laws/rules/guidelines for headlines" and not digging into the background and author of the article does not present you in a competent light. But that can stay in the other thread.
    Betteridge's background is irrelevant. It's still part of journalistic principle that hundreds of thousands of credible journalists still follow and have been following for quite some time. That's the point.

On the contrary, their interpretation of facts/events/etc is directly related to how they present their articles. Anything other than a dry statement of raw factual details has the natural tendency to have the writer interject his own opinions into the article.
    There are no left/right interpretations of facts. As soon as an interpretation is involved, then it becomes an opinion.

The key is the last line - facts. I don't have problems with factual data (that should be quite obvious). The issues arise when groups that are supposed to be objective instead present their interpretations of facts as the fact themselves - this happens in both the liberal and conservative camps of journalists; however, as I showed earlier, there are a much larger number of journalists who describe themselves as liberal.
    If a large group of people got together and sourced facts and presented them in a clear, legible fashion, but utilized their own interpretation of the sourced facts, is that still objective journalism. If you think so, then you should be quite happy with BOTH FNC and MSNBC.
    It doesn't matter if every last journalist on earth described himself as liberal. A fact will be a fact, whether it comes from their mouths or not. I don't understand why you're focused so much on titles when they don't matter.

If every if every self professed liberal in the world said evolution was a hoax, it still wouldn't be a hoax. If every liberal in the world said Obama was the worst president in history, it would still be their opinion. If every conservative in the world said the climate is changing, and humans are partly responsible, it would still be a fact.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Betteridge's background is irrelevant. It's still part of journalistic principle that hundreds of thousands of credible journalists still follow and have been following for quite some time. That's the point.
    You asked originally, "What is wrong with this headline?" You gave "Betteridge's law" as your only source and foundation for saying that the headline is wrong. That makes his background completely relevant.

Please show me a link to this listing of it as a journalistic principle from a highly recognized and credible source, such as a school of journalism. I am not aware of any school of journalism that presents it as such.

There are no left/right interpretations of facts. As soon as an interpretation is involved, then it becomes an opinion.
    While I understand what you are trying to say and generally agree with the concept, you might wish to rethink your statement. Many facts that you accept on a daily basis are nothing more than interpretation of raw data.

It doesn't matter if every last journalist on earth described himself as liberal. A fact will be a fact, whether it comes from their mouths or not. I don't understand why you're focused so much on titles when they don't matter.
    The problem is that many journalists take facts, then present them with their own interpretation intermixed with the fact(s) that their article presents. This problem is not confined to just liberal or conservative journalists, and many people will accept interpretation as part of the fact(s). You cannot sit there and say that FNC does it, but liberal groups don't.

If every if every self professed liberal in the world said evolution was a hoax, it still wouldn't be a hoax. If every liberal in the world said Obama was the worst president in history, it would still be their opinion. If every conservative in the world said the climate is changing, and humans are partly responsible, it would still be a fact.
    Your statement here is not refuting anything that I stated in the last post, so I have no idea why you added it.

Are You a "Right-Fighter"?

Oh wait... That article ends with a question mark, it must be total bullshit.

You asked originally, "What is wrong with this headline?" You gave "Betteridge's law" as your only source and foundation for saying that the headline is wrong. That makes his background completely relevant.
    Betteridges law" was the first example I found of the principle in writing. And, as you've stated before, credentials don't matter.

Please show me a link to this listing of it as a journalistic principle from a highly recognized and credible source, such as a school of journalism. I am not aware of any school of journalism that presents it as such.
    Im sure you're equally capable of finding it. Pretty sure it was something that was taught to me in high school.

While I understand what you are trying to say and generally agree with the concept, you might wish to rethink your statement. Many facts that you accept on a daily basis are nothing more than interpretation of raw data.
    I don't accept anyone's opinion as fact. Never have, never will.

The problem is that many journalists take facts, then present them with their own interpretation intermixed with the fact(s) that their article presents. This problem is not confined to just liberal or conservative journalists, and many people will accept interpretation as part of the fact(s). You cannot sit there and say that FNC does it, but liberal groups don't.
    Why are you so focused on people's interpretations?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Are You a "Right-Fighter"?

Oh wait... That article ends with a question mark, it must be total bullshit.
    If the question is "am I a 'right fighter'", the answer is no.

You can't multi-quote on tapatalk for IOS

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Betteridges law" was the first example I found of the principle in writing. And, as you've stated before, credentials don't matter.
    You stated that it was around for many, many years, yet his "law" was only written in his Feb 2009 article. That's hardly a long term journalistic principle - as you tried to present it as.

Credentials don't matter in every field of study - but I bet that you would expect your doctor or lawyer to have a degree. In this case, do you believe that one layperson's opinion should be considered "a law of journalism"? If you look at the news industry, we don't see them embracing this "journalistic principle". It isn't being taught in journalism schools either.

Im sure you're equally capable of finding it. Pretty sure it was something that was taught to me in high school.
    That's just another way of you saying that you have nothing of substance to back up your statements.
    With the memory issues that we have seen from you on this forum, I have to wonder if you can recall anything from high school. Your statement above that you are "pretty sure" is definitely not a solid statement that you took a journalism class in high school and that it was taught to you as a journalistic principle.

I don't accept anyone's opinion as fact. Never have, never will.
    LOLOL

Why are you so focused on people's interpretations?
    How do you think that bias gets into the media?

You stated that it was around for many, many years, yet his "law" was only written in his Feb 2009 article. That's hardly a long term journalistic principle - as you tried to present it as.

Credentials don't matter in every field of study - but I bet that you would expect your doctor or lawyer to have a degree. In this case, do you believe that one layperson's opinion should be considered "a law of journalism"? If you look at the news industry, we don't see them embracing this "journalistic principle". It isn't being taught in journalism schools either.
    You looking for an example of this principle being taught is like trying to find an example of order of operations taught at MIT. I don't even know what you think you're looking for.

That's just another way of you saying that you have nothing of substance to back up your statements.
    With the memory issues that we have seen from you on this forum, I have to wonder if you can recall anything from high school. Your statement above that you are "pretty sure" is definitely not a solid statement that you took a journalism class in high school and that it was taught to you as a journalistic principle.
    Thats definitely your opinion, and interpretation of facts. And you're entitled to it.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

You looking for an example of this principle being taught is like trying to find an example of order of operations taught at MIT. I don't even know what you think you're looking for.
    And yet, it was never written about up until Feb 2009, and has been ignored by the mainstream media.

When you make a statement and present it as fact, shouldn't you be able to support that statement with facts?

And yet, it was never written about up until Feb 2009, and has been ignored by the mainstream media.

When you make a statement and present it as fact, shouldn't you be able to support that statement with facts?
    Ignored by the mainstream media? What in the fuck are you talking about? Did Fox report about basic sentance structure? Did MSNBC report about order of operations?

I supported it with facts already. You've still not examined it on your own. So you've asked me to baby sit you through it as if I were your primary school teacher, and tried to discredit me because its something I know about and something you don't know about.

So here. Start with this and work your way outwards. There will be homework and a test on what you've learned.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Ignored by the mainstream media? What in the fuck are you talking about? Did Fox report about basic sentance structure? Did MSNBC report about order of operations?

I supported it with facts already. You've still not examined it on your own. So you've asked me to baby sit you through it as if I were your primary school teacher, and tried to discredit me because its something I know about and something you don't know about.

So here. Start with this and work your way outwards. There will be homework and a test on what you've learned.

Rhetorical question - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Again, you show your ignorance.

A study with random sampling taken on the subject when the article by Betteridge was written showed that only CNN did not have headlines ending with a question mark. I already explained that, but you seem unable to process that information.

What facts have you presented in support of your statement? They aren't in your previous posts in either of today's two active threads.

Of your link to the Wikipedia listing for Rhetorical question, it has nothing discussing it's use in headlines, which is the topic that we have had in these threads. I'm just asking you to support your statements with published fact. Apparently, that is too much to ask of you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12