Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gang violence in Georgia

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    Again these are half truths. Yes the majority of slave owners were democrats. The whole truth would include that the democrats from 200 years ago (predominately southerners) would be firmly on the republican side today. At that time, the democrats stood for states rights and strict constitutional adherence. It was the democrat's New Deal policies and the Southern Strategy of the republican party that marked the major shift into the democrat and republic parties we know today. To say the democrats of today are anything like the democrats of per-emancipation is totally misleading.
    The foundation of the democratic support by black people is a combination of the democratic party convincing black people that they cant make it without government assistance and black people feeling like they cant make it without government assistance. This is why black people are loyal to the democratic party.... it has nothing to do with any principle belief....... theyve been manipulated into thinking the deck is stacked against them and that they cant make it without father government. There was a time when black people collectively were strong, hard working, family oriented, and religious...... that's a far cry from the abortion supporting, anti religious, freedom hating, race baiting democratic party of today.

You are completely side stepping my call out of your absolutely incorrect categorization of the modern democratic party's policies towards blacks being rooted in the policies of slave owning democrats from 200 years ago.

Again these are half truths. Yes the majority of slave owners were democrats. The whole truth would include that the democrats from 200 years ago (predominately southerners) would be firmly on the republican side today. At that time, the democrats stood for states rights and strict constitutional adherence. It was the democrat's New Deal policies and the Southern Strategy of the republican party that marked the major shift into the democrat and republic parties we know today. To say the democrats of today are anything like the democrats of pre-emancipation is totally misleading.
    I've tried to explain party shifting to this forum numbers of times. You're spinning your wheels.

All Democrats = Evil racists

All republicans = bastions of true American patriotism and freedom

That's what people have been force fed and that's all they'll believe even in the face of hard facts.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    I've tried to explain party shifting to this forum numbers of times. You're spinning your wheels.

All Democrats = Evil racists

All republicans = bastions of true American patriotism and freedom

That's what people have been force fed and that's all they'll believe even in the face of hard facts.
    Nope. Politics do not work in the left right paradigm that you seem to think it does.

Criticizing a democrat =/= complimenting a republican

It's so bizarre though because it's not as if there is any debate among historians about this.

You are completely side stepping my call out of your absolutely incorrect categorization of the modern democratic party's policies towards blacks being rooted in the policies of slave owning democrats from 200 years ago.
    I agree with you.... and i said that in my original post.

The democrats of today are not the same as the slave owners.....

Those democrats physically owned slaves, these democrats mentally own slaves. I agree.... theyre completely different.

Overall policy wise, do you think modern democrats are the political descendants of the original democrats?

Overall policy wise, do you think modern democrats are the political descendants of the original democrats?
    Yes.

That's exactly what I am disagreeing about, not about whether modern democrats own slaves. As I stated before, the democrats at that time were southern, strong state's rights advocates, and strict constitutionalists. Those policies are associated with the Republican/Libertarian parties today, certainly not the Democratic party. Which part of that do you disagree with or are you saying those were not the defining features of Democrats 200 years ago?

That's exactly what I am disagreeing about, not about whether modern democrats own slaves. As I stated before, the democrats at that time were southern, strong state's rights advocates, and strict constitutionalists. Those policies are associated with the Republican/Libertarian parties today, certainly not the Democratic party. Which part of that do you disagree with or are you saying those were not the defining features of Democrats 200 years ago?
    What you just said is a contradiction. Democrats thought the government had the right to enslave people.... there's nothing libertarian about that. The democratic party is what it always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    What you just said is a contradiction. Democrats thought the government had the right to enslave people.... there's nothing libertarian about that.
    You are aware that states rights were the reason they thought they could enslave people right? How can you continuously just pick the parts that fit your narrative and ignore the rest. Yes, the democrats at that time believed slavery should be legal. They also believe each state should be able to decide that for themselves. You can't say modern democrats are the same because they believe in slavery (more than a little debateable) and then ignore the states rights issue. You have to look at all the issues and compare them to the modern parties, you can't just pick one and decide based on that.

The democratic party is what it always has been.
    Good luck convincing historians of that.

You are aware that states rights were the reason they thought they could enslave people right? How can you continuously just pick the parts that fit your narrative and ignore the rest. Yes, the democrats at that time believed slavery should be legal. They also believe each state should be able to decide that for themselves. You can't say modern democrats are the same because they believe in slavery (more than a little debateable) and then ignore the states rights issue. You have to look at all the issues and compare them to the modern parties, you can't just pick one and decide based on that.

Good luck convincing historians of that.

The founding principles of the democratic party were the same then as they are today. You're attempting to dilute that fact. Saying that they believed in slavery because it was a state right is absolutely ridiculous.... no, they believed in slavery and then they argued it however they could.

Give me a round about year where this "democrat - republican jersey switch" took place.

The founding principles of the democratic party were the same then as they are today. You're attempting to dilute that fact. Saying that they believed in slavery because it was a state right is absolutely ridiculous.... no, they believed in slavery and then they argued it however they could.
    No they are not. I stated the founding principles of states' rights and strict constitutionalism. What do you think were the founding principles? Slavery?

Give me a round about year where this "democrat - republican jersey switch" took place.
    It didn't happen in one year. The parties evolved a lot over time as they continue to today. However you must of missed the post on the last page where I stated:

It was the democrat's New Deal policies and the Southern Strategy of the republican party that marked the major shift into the democrat and republic parties we know today.

*[citation needed]

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Don't tell him when. He's not gonna learn unless he figures it out for himself

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

He won't learn anyways because learning requires acceptance that there is something about which you don't already know. He's never admitted to ignorance about anything.

He won't learn anyways because learning requires acceptance that there is something about which you don't already know. He's never admitted to ignorance about anything.
    He's not interested in learning. Accepting the fact that democrats haven't always been socially progressive would shake the foundation of everything he thinks he knows.

There's another shift, or schism rather, coming within our lifetimes, probably very shortly.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Don't tell him when. He's not gonna learn unless he figures it out for himself
    point me in the right direction. Before or after the 70s?

Now we're throwing stones.... that's a great way to get your point across.

point me in the right direction. Before or after the 70s?
    Before the 70s.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Before the 70s.
    Was lyndon b johnson a democrat or a republican?

Was lyndon b johnson a democrat or a republican?
    A democrat

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

A democrat
    a real democrat.... not one of the converts that you're suggesting?

a real democrat.... not one of the converts that you're suggesting?
    Not suggesting anyone was a "convert"

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Not suggesting anyone was a "convert"
    oh... i thought that was the conversation we were having..... democrats were once republicans before they were democrats or something another.

So LBJ is a democrat?

oh... i thought that was the conversation we were having..... democrats were once republicans before they were democrats or something another.

So LBJ is a democrat?
    Everyone who calls their self a democrat is a democrat. The term means something different now than it did before the mid 1900s. Ideologies shifted.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Everyone who calls their self a democrat is a democrat. The term means something different now than it did before the mid 1900s. Ideologies shifted.
    So you said this ideological shift took place before the 70s.... so was LBJ a real democratic according to the current democratic ideology, or a "closet republican" as you're suggesting the original democrats were?

Now we're throwing stones.... that's a great way to get your point across.
    It wasn't meant as an insult. I really don't think you have ever admitted ignorance about any topic we have discussed on here. You have a strong opinion on everything and have never in my recollection have you changed your mind on any thing. I don't debate with you to change your mind, that would seem to be a futile endeavor. I debate with you because I am still ignorant about many things and hope your different perspective may help me to look at things in different ways.

Not quite. We are discussing how the policies and principles of the parties have changed over time such that they have quite literal adopted each others stances albeit at different points in time. Of course this doesn't apply to every policy either but it does apply to some very core principles.

So you said this ideological shift took place before the 70s.... so was LBJ a real democratic according to the current democratic ideology, or a "closet republican" as you're suggesting the original democrats were?
    The main point is that the names democrat and republican are constantly evolving so a democrat from now is not the same as a democrat from 100 years ago. Same goes for republicans. The idea of someone being a "closet republican" implies some unchanging definition of republican. So the answer to that question depends on which time period of republican values do you want to compare LBJ's values to?

It wasn't meant as an insult. I really don't think you have ever admitted ignorance about any topic we have discussed on here. You have a strong opinion on everything and have never in my recollection have you changed your mind on any thing. I don't debate with you to change your mind, that would seem to be a futile endeavor. I debate with you because I am still ignorant about many things and hope your different perspective may help me to look at things in different ways.
    I'll take that as a compliment.

Not quite. We are discussing how the policies and principles of the parties have changed over time such that they have quite literal adopted each others stances albeit at different points in time. Of course this doesn't apply to every policy either but it does apply to some very core principles.
    I feel youre stating the obvious to ignore the obvious. Yes, policies and principles have changed, evolved, flopped over time.... nobody arguing that. I dont believe the political world spun on it's axis as you seem to be suggesting. I see the same faults in the democratic party then as i do now. The republic as it was founded is a beautiful idea. Liberty and freedom are what made this country what it is today. If anything.... republican principles have been diluted by democracy. The evolution of the republican party is from decades of being broken down by the democratic party. Democrats are steady chipping away at liberty. The democratic party wants the government to be the answer to all of your problems. They nudge you into accepting this system by creating the same problems they proclaim they can help you with. Yes.... politics have evolved greatly over the years..... the republic was once a pristine Chevelle, after sitting in democrat salt water for decades, it now is what it is.

I feel youre stating the obvious to ignore the obvious. Yes, policies and principles have changed, evolved, flopped over time.... nobody arguing that. I dont believe the political world spun on it's axis as you seem to be suggesting. I see the same faults in the democratic party then as i do now. The republic as it was founded is a beautiful idea. Liberty and freedom are what made this country what it is today. If anything.... republican principles have been diluted by democracy. The evolution of the republican party is from decades of being broken down by the democratic party. Democrats are steady chipping away at liberty. The democratic party wants the government to be the answer to all of your problems. They nudge you into accepting this system by creating the same problems they proclaim they can help you with. Yes.... politics have evolved greatly over the years..... the republic was once a pristine Chevelle, after sitting in democrat salt water for decades, it now is what it is.
    So what evidence do you have to support your belief that only democrats are responsible for this "chipping away at liberty" as you call it?

What evidence do you have that the country is in shambles as you say, and democrats are directly responsible? Maybe your evidence will convince me.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

So what evidence do you have to support your belief that only democrats are responsible for this "chipping away at liberty" as you call it?

What evidence do you have that the country is in shambles as you say, and democrats are directly responsible? Maybe your evidence will convince me.
    It's not democrats alone. The entire government is rotten. Democrats just bare most of the blame.

It's not democrats alone. The entire government is rotten. Democrats just bare most of the blame.
    Ok. The evidence you have that democrats bear most of the blame.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Ok. The evidence you have that democrats bear most of the blame.
    Start paying attention. You've been constantly beat over the head with information in this forum. It's too much of a burden to continue spelling everything out for you when i get the impression you're sitting there like this...

Start paying attention. You've been constantly beat over the head with information in this forum. It's too much of a burden to continue spelling everything out for you when i get the impression you're sitting there like this...
    So, that means you have no evidence? Or that you want me to believe your personal hatred for Obama and irrational fear of government is all the evidence I should need?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

GAME

SET

MATCH

lol J/K

So, that means you have no evidence? Or that you want me to believe your personal hatred for Obama and irrational fear of government is all the evidence I should need?
    so when LBJ said

“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.”
    “I’ll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.”

What did he mean? i have an idea of what he was trying to say.... but i also acknowledge that my southern redneck conservative gun loving right wing nut job ideology might make me take it out of context.

So can you explain to me what he was talking about?

Also, apologies to anyone offended by this language, these words are an exact quote from a democratic president.

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post

GAME

SET

MATCH

lol J/K
    Damn.... Echo is so brilliant that he answered my question before i even asked it.

Damn.... Echo is so brilliant that he answered my question before i even asked it.
    Indeed.

Only because I feel like I have to state the obvious... Of course we need a safety net to help the injured, disabled or ill (physical and mental). But for the able-bodied it should not be a way of life. Sure people fall on hard times, need help for a short period of time and it should be there for them. But having 8 babies is not falling on hard times, it's because you fell on a penis too many times. But when you no longer feel any repercussions of any decision you make, in fact you are given more... Well there's no social engineering going on here obviously. But what do the Democrats say every election cycle? "Those nasty Republicans want to cut these programs that you deserve." and voting becomes the entitlement class's "job".

This happened in Clayton Co. Georgia when a glitch in the system cut some peoples off their "entitlements"... For a day. The office was swamped.

The only person that should be in that office is the lady with cancer.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

I ignore this site for a while and the war between Obama and the white supremacist is STILL going. hahaha

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast