Thread: Serious Question regarding Sergios comments about Tiger Woods.....

Default Serious Question regarding Sergios comments about Tiger Woods.....

At the European Tour's annual gala dinner ahead of its flagship event, the BMW PGA Championship in England, Garcia responded to a question asking if he would have dinner with Tiger Woods at next month's U.S. Open at Merion.

His reply, according to The Guardian: "We will have him round every night. We will serve fried chicken."
    Now admittedly at first I was kind of offended and shocked that Garcia would say this. But then I started thinking about it. Why is the association of a food to a race or culture racist?

What if Garcia was asked about Edoardo Molinari over for dinner (an italian) and he said "We will serve spaghetti and meatballs".

Or any other nationality. What if it was a Japanese golfer and he said "we will serve Sushi and Sake".

Im not sure its a really bad comment he made. I mean is it no true that African Americans like (to their own admission) friend chicken , collard greens, watermelon, etc. Ive spoken to quite a few black friends and they all admit that backyard BBQs are filled with the kind of food that Garcia and Zoeller have talked about.

Seriously, what is it outrageous to joke about a race or cultures food preference?

I can cite business after business that caters to African Americans and their love of those foods.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

its not racist, its prejudiced.

It is a stereotype. A stereotype is nothing more than an exaggerated truth.

any race to food relation would have warranted the same 'apology' he said..not to mention he was already beefing, by himself, with Tiger because Tiger 'messed up his golf swing'..what if Tiger made a joke saying 'we'll have him around everynight and we'll serve quesdillas and tequila'..assuming he's hispanic...would have been the same thing. he was ignorant in what he said, not to mention being in the public eye you should be smart enough not to say something that dumb. you know the media will make it bigger than it is, no matter who/what says anything about it.

btw..i dont know if i like friend chicken...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

It's offensive because it's an over generalization that being a certain race means you like a particular kind of food. To assume a Japanese person likes sushi or that an Italian likes pasta and meatballs is very similar. Certainly its pretty low on the offensive scale but it's such a lame joke anyway. Tiger Woods is what, a quarter black, so it doesn't even make much sense. Oh you're grandma was Native American, I think your new nickname should be Tonto. Just dumb.

Ok so if Tiger Woods said "tacos and tequila" would the racist outrage be as bad?

I dont think so.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Gladys Knights Chicken and Waffles- Black owned celebrity food place advertising dishes made out of ..........friend chicken.

Is it true, that most African Americans like Fried Chicken?
    Is it true, that most Italians like italian food?
    Is it true that mose Japanese people like Sushi/Fish?

I still dont see what is so degrading about offering up food that ones culture overwhelmingly enjoys. What if he said "i would have a bunch of soul food prepared". Rcist?
    -www.usedbarcode.net

He said some dumb shit that was a little offensive and he got called out for it. As long as that kinda shit is being called out, I feel no need to compare whether the level of outrage is equal for all stereotyping.

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Gladys Knights Chicken and Waffles- Black owned celebrity food place advertising dishes made out of ..........friend chicken.

Is it true, that most African Americans like Fried Chicken?
    Is it true, that most Italians like italian food?
    Is it true that mose Japanese people like Sushi/Fish?

I still dont see what is so degrading about offering up food that ones culture overwhelmingly enjoys. What if he said "i would have a bunch of soul food prepared". Rcist?
    It's not "so degrading", its just ignorant. Especially because Tiger Woods is NOT BLACK.

Tiger Woods is portrayed by the media as being black. Sorry.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Didn't realize media gets to determine race. Anyways, like I said, even if he is 100% black, it's still a stupid thing to say. Oh you're white, you must like Lynard Skynard and NASCAR. Some may consider that offensive, others may not. Either way it's an ignorant statement.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    Didn't realize media gets to determine race. Anyways, like I said, even if he is 100% black, it's still a stupid thing to say. Oh you're white, you must like Lynard Skynard and NASCAR. Some may consider that offensive, others may not. Either way it's an ignorant statement.
    My point is that in once case, everyone is outraged and a guys career could be over. What he said wasnt offensive at all, it wasnt racist, by almost all counts its factually correct.

In the case of your Skynard Nascar reference, i do not believe that would warrant a national apology and segments being run on ESPN and major news outlets.

The news media wants to hang Sergio for making black comments, yet you are saying Tiger isnt black. You cant be offended by comments directed at the wrong race right? My point is they use Tigers race to their advantage to sell a story, then get upset and outraged over nothing.

its selective. Who is the bigger racist here, the news media or sergio?
    -www.usedbarcode.net

I honestly don't care. The media doesn't determine what I think about this incident and I'm not going to start watching so I can judge if they have an appropriate level of outrage. Many people are more sensitive to racial stereotyping against black and given this country's history, I can understand why. If you expect the for profit media to be arbitrators of ethical and reasonable content, you will continuously be dissapointed. I suggest you direct your efforts elsewhere.

Also being correct and offensive are not mutually exclusive.

I just dont see the big deal, selective outrage is just as bad as mislabeling something offensive when its factually accurate.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

I agree it's not that big of a deal but everyone has selective outrage. We don't all have the same sensitivities and values. Why should you get to decide what people can be offended about? It's certainly not mislabeling though. If someone is offended by something, then by definition it is "offensive". It doesn't require you or even the target to feel offended by it. And again, factually accurate is irrelvant (I don't even know if Tiger Woods likes fried chicken anyway). If you call someone's mom a whore, it can be both true and offensive.

Everyone makes race puns in this day and age but don't mean its racist. If you can't laugh or or just reply with one yourself then you are lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    btw..i dont know if i like friend chicken...
    I don't even know you.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    Everyone makes race puns in this day and age but don't mean its racist. If you can't laugh or or just reply with one yourself then you are lame.
    I certainly agree that the statement was not racist, ignorant and over generalized sure, but not racist. Laughing or ignoring race related jokes really depend on the situation. If it's between friends in a personal setting is quite different than between colleagues in a public setting.

Now in all actuality Sergio has had animosity towards Tiger so its not out of bounds to take this as a belittling jab, not an honest over generalization.

To me, a racist comment is calling someone a "nappyheaded ho". Saying that an African American generally enjoys fried chicken and watermelon, isnt racist IMO
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Seriously, what is it outrageous to joke about a race or cultures food preference?
    Simple answer, Mike. His comment, although based on the stereotyping of a particular race, was said in spite out of anger. A lot of things that are taken as a racist comment are usually considered racist when the scenario allows it. Now had the two been buddy-buddy and he said it, it wouldn't have taken the same way, for the most part, by the public. But because of the circumstances leading up to the comment, it is not hard to see that Sergio said it with malcontent on his mind.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Now in all actuality Sergio has had animosity towards Tiger so its not out of bounds to take this as a belittling jab,
    My above comment in a nutshell, sir.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

To me, a racist comment is calling someone a "nappyheaded ho". Saying that an African American generally enjoys fried chicken and watermelon, isnt racist IMO
    What I had for lunch this afternoon. Didnt realize what it was till my boss pointed it out

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    What I had for lunch this afternoon. Didnt realize what it was till my boss pointed it out
    I mean am i being off base im asking for serious answers. If we were talking casually and you said "man you white people cant play basketball for shit" and i said "anytime you wanna come over to y house for dinner ill have the chicken and watermelon ready"

is that like, bad ? I wouldnt ever say that but im just seeing why thats so offensive when i can easily substitute "ill have the eggplant parmesean ready" to an italian and it wouldnt be 1/12910213434th as offensive.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Black people are hypersensitive about race..... anything that even remotely stereotypes them in any way causes outrage. Everyone has to walk on eggshells when dealing with black people, while black people are allowed to be as obnoxious as they want.

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    I don't even know you.
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?