At the European Tour's annual gala dinner ahead of its flagship event, the BMW PGA Championship in England, Garcia responded to a question asking if he would have dinner with Tiger Woods at next month's U.S. Open at Merion.

His reply, according to The Guardian: "We will have him round every night. We will serve fried chicken."
Now admittedly at first I was kind of offended and shocked that Garcia would say this. But then I started thinking about it. Why is the association of a food to a race or culture racist?

What if Garcia was asked about Edoardo Molinari over for dinner (an italian) and he said "We will serve spaghetti and meatballs".

Or any other nationality. What if it was a Japanese golfer and he said "we will serve Sushi and Sake".

Im not sure its a really bad comment he made. I mean is it no true that African Americans like (to their own admission) friend chicken , collard greens, watermelon, etc. Ive spoken to quite a few black friends and they all admit that backyard BBQs are filled with the kind of food that Garcia and Zoeller have talked about.

Seriously, what is it outrageous to joke about a race or cultures food preference?

I can cite business after business that caters to African Americans and their love of those foods.