Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White is the new black.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    So textbook racism aside, what is your definition of racism?

And for shits and giggles, what about your personal definition of intellectualism?
    Disliking or looking down on someone based solely on their race. Over emphasis put on race, over recognizing race.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Disliking or looking down on someone based solely on their race. Over emphasis put on race, over recognizing race.
    I don't know anyone who does that on this forum....

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

This definitively proves Neo-conservatives have a difficult time separating fantasy from reality.

Seriously. Either that site knows what they're peddling is BS, OR they cannot separate fantasy from reality. Either way, why would you take anything from that page as truth?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

I don't know anyone who does that on this forum....

Skin color is nothing more than an identifiable trait to me, like being tall or having red hair. Anytime i discuss race, it's always in that regard.

This definitively proves Neo-conservatives have a difficult time separating fantasy from reality.

Seriously. Either that site knows what they're peddling is BS, OR they cannot separate fantasy from reality. Either way, why would you take anything from that page as truth?
    Show me a lie? you seem to be misunderstanding the point.

Show me a lie? you seem to be misunderstanding the point.
    What's the point? That Jaime Foxx is racist because he starred in a satire of the negro slave era? Or because he cracked jokes about it?

I'll let you change your definition of racism now so that it doesn't include yourself.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

What's the point? That Jaime Foxx is racist because he starred in a satire of the negro slave era? Or because he cracked jokes about it?

I'll let you change your definition of racism now so that it doesn't include yourself.
    What lie did you find in that post and what conclusion did you derive from me posting it without a comment?

What lie did you find in that post and what conclusion did you derive from me posting it without a comment?
    The post makes Jamie Foxx out to be some kind of racist (or the revised definition of racist). I don't know what you were getting at by posting it.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

The post makes Jamie Foxx out to be some kind of racist (or the revised definition of racist). I don't know what you were getting at by posting it.
    My only point in posting it is how open and acceptable it is to make derogatory comments about white people. While i dont feel Jamie Foxx is a racist, he is an intelligent man that was capable of delivering a better message and chose not to. My issue is with history the movie is based upon more so than the movie itself. Slavery always portrays white people as the villain without acknowledging that white people also came to the rescue.

Do you feel the same way about movies about the holocaust?

Should all movies be made with an educational purpose?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

If someone playing a german soldier in a movie made a joke about enjoying being able to kill jews, would that be acceptable?

The only racism that is commonly accepted in society is against white people. Every other group is treated with hyper sensitivity.

When i spoke of "Jamie Foxx's message", im talking about after the movie, not the movie itself

If someone playing a german soldier in a movie made a joke about enjoying being able to kill jews, would that be acceptable?

The only racism that is commonly accepted in society is against white people. Every other group is treated with hyper sensitivity.
    Yes. If the joke was funny in context.

There's nothing about Jamie Foxx's portrayal I find offensive. Sympathizers were a minority. As a matter of fact, Django incorporated a story of a white sympathizer. So what's the issue? If you want to learn more about the white people who helped, pick up a history book

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Yes. If the joke was funny in context.

There's nothing about Jamie Foxx's portrayal I find offensive. Sympathizers were a minority. As a matter of fact, Django incorporated a story of a white sympathizer. So what's the issue? If you want to learn more about the white people who helped, pick up a history book
    I enjoyed the movie, no problems with it. Understanding the context of the joke, i thought it was funny also.

But i also acknowledge that this lack of sensitivity to racism would only fly when directed towards white people. Every other racial group would have condemned Foxx's comments.

Lets say i was in a cop movie that took place in chicago. I am a "rambo-like cop" that cleans up the streets of chicago with guns blazing and all the exaggerated action shots like Django. After the movie i say

"it sure was fun to kill all those black people"

Lets say i was in a cop movie that took place in chicago. I am a "rambo-like cop" that cleans up the streets of chicago with guns blazing and all the exaggerated action shots like Django. After the movie i say

"it sure was fun to kill all those black people"
    I would call such a movie distasteful, but I would also consider a movie with a black Rambo-like cop in Chicago killing a bunch of white people distasteful.

So what do you think the differences are in a scenario like this versus Django? Keep in mind, Django killed black people too

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

I would call such a movie distasteful, but I would also consider a movie with a black Rambo-like cop in Chicago killing a bunch of white people distasteful.

So what do you think the differences are in a scenario like this versus Django? Keep in mind, Django killed black people too
    Yes, that's all part of me forming my opinion.

Django was a multicultural movie with no racial bias. It's fictional and makes no claim to be historical. For entertainment purpose only. I have no issues with it

Actor Jamie Foxx who plays Django comments after the movie and says "it was fun killing all of those white people", even though he killed white and black people in the movie. The movie distinguished characters by hero/villain and not by race, as it had both white and black heroes and villains.

In the eyes of society, white people are the villain in this story. Jamie Foxx perpetuates this stereotype with his comment. Only white stereotypes are given a pass in society and in the media.

Islander

Shindler's List.....

some german's actually did help the jews. Some whites actually did help the slaves....
    I got free clear tails with my ride.....

Actor Jamie Foxx who plays Django comments after the movie and says "it was fun killing all of those white people", even though he killed white and black people in the movie. The movie distinguished characters by hero/villain and not by race, as it had both white and black heroes and villains.

In the eyes of society, white people are the villain in this story. Jamie Foxx perpetuates this stereotype with his comment. Only white stereotypes are given a pass in society and in the media.
    So you have a problem with the joke? Not necessarily the content of the movie?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Lets examine an analog, and see how you'd feel about it. We're looking at a movie about oppressed race rising up against the oppressor, and an actor of the oppressed race making a quip about taking revenge on the oppressor.

Inglorious Basterds was a movie about a group of US Army special ops crew, among them a couple Jews, and their plan to take out Hitler. If you saw the movie, you know that the Jews prejudiciously slaughtered hundreds of Nazi soldiers and Nazi sympathizers. (If not, sorry bout the spoiler.)

How would you feel If the guy playing the Jew in question made the same joke in the same context, at the same venue?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

lets keep this thread on topic please. It's about how the media has unjustly vilified "white america" and how it pander's to a minority audience to stir racial tension.
    You realize the media, like American society, is dominated by white people right? I actually think it's targeting people like you who they know will get stirred up and watch/talk about their coverage. Anger and outrage is good for ratings. Fox News knows this very well.

Skin color is nothing more than an identifiable trait to me, like being tall or having red hair. Anytime i discuss race, it's always in that regard.
    I would like to believe that but I simply never see you posting articles about "a tall guy who killed a white person" or "a redhead who is abusing welfare". Your comments and posts often point out skin color as a critical aspect of the story.

Lets examine an analog, and see how you'd feel about it. We're looking at a movie about oppressed race rising up against the oppressor, and an actor of the oppressed race making a quip about taking revenge on the oppressor.

Inglorious Basterds was a movie about a group of US Army special ops crew, among them a couple Jews, and their plan to take out Hitler. If you saw the movie, you know that the Jews prejudiciously slaughtered hundreds of Nazi soldiers and Nazi sympathizers. (If not, sorry bout the spoiler.)

How would you feel If the guy playing the Jew in question made the same joke in the same context, at the same venue?
    Your comparison helps my case.

You compare white people to nazi soldiers. Being a nazi is a choice and choosing to be a nazi makes you a villain. There's no distinction made between "white people" and "Slave owners". Not all white people were slave owners, so is Foxx's comment not perpetuating a stereotype?

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    You realize the media, like American society, is dominated by white people right? I actually think it's targeting people like you who they know will get stirred up and watch/talk about their coverage. Anger and outrage is good for ratings. Fox News knows this very well.

I would like to believe that but I simply never see you posting articles about "a tall guy who killed a white person" or "a redhead who is abusing welfare". Your comments and posts often point out skin color as a critical aspect of the story.
    When an abnormal amount of redheads start doing things that warrant attention, i will act accordingly.

You've already agreed that black people have an elevated crime rate. I dont think being black makes you a criminal. I dont believe your skin has any relation to your intelligence or your morality. I simply acknowledge the statistical anomaly.

Everyone - get over it.

Every group has racists in it, and every group has experienced racism.
    Guess what, it's their right to be racist, and speak their mind.
    Be glad that we live in a society that allows them to be themselves, and ignore the idiots.
    Worry about your own actions, and not others. If they come and mess with you, then take action to defend yourself.
    The Black Panthers, KKK, etc, are not doing anything that they are not allowed to. They just speak their minds - right or wrong. Are you going to let their opinions define your life?
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Your comparison helps my case.

You compare white people to nazi soldiers. Being a nazi is a choice and choosing to be a nazi makes you a villain. There's no distinction made between "white people" and "Slave owners". Not all white people were slave owners, so is Foxx's comment not perpetuating a stereotype?
    Just as there was a choice to be a nazi sympathizer, there was a choice to be a slave owner. Not all Germans were nazi sympathizers, and not all white people were slave owners.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Just as there was a choice to be a nazi sympathizer, there was a choice to be a slave owner. Not all Germans were nazi sympathizers, and not all white people were slave owners.
    Nazi and german are two different things, same as slave owner and white. Had Foxx of said, "it was fun killing all those slave owners", there would be no grounds for complaint from anyone. If someone said "it was fun killing all of those germans", that comment would be in the same boat as Foxx's

Nazi and german are two different things, same as slave owner and white. Had Foxx of said, "it was fun killing all those slave owners", there would be no grounds for complaint from anyone. If someone said "it was fun killing all of those germans", that comment would be in the same boat as Foxx's
    So, the words "white people" were understood, in the context of the discussion of the negro slave era, as slave owners, and thus the "complainers" didn't pick up on that.

If Foxx had played your modern day Rambo, killing a bunch of white people for no other reason, the same exact sentence from him would be understood as something totally different.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

So, the words "white people" were understood, in the context of the discussion of the negro slave era, as slave owners, and thus the "complainers" didn't pick up on that.

If Foxx had played your modern day Rambo, killing a bunch of white people for no other reason, the same exact sentence from him would be understood as something totally different.
    Understood by whom? and is that not the very definition of a stereotype?

Foxx is putting white people all in one group (slave owners), when they were not all a part of that group.

Person A's father was a slave owner and a combatant for the rebel army. Person B's father assisted the underground railroad and was a combatant for the yankee army.

Would both persons view this comment in the same context, understanding that "white people" meant "slave owner". Since history undeniably states that all white people were not slave owners and slaves would have never been freed without the aid of "white people".

Understood by whom? and is that not the very definition of a stereotype?

Foxx is putting white people all in one group (slave owners), when they were not all a part of that group.

Person A's father was a slave owner and a combatant for the rebel army. Person B's father assisted the underground railroad and was a combatant for the yankee army.

Would both persons view this comment in the same context, understanding that "white people" meant "slave owner". Since history undeniably states that all white people were not slave owners and slaves would have never been freed without the aid of "white people".
    Lets start over from the beginning...

I went to research the joke in question. It is part of his monologue on an episode of SNL, where he's joking about how being black is the new white. Here is the line in question, and ill go back a few sentences to provide some context:

"The [NY] Nets moved to 'Brooklyn', how black is that? The courts black, Jay Z's the owner, a rapper, how black is that? He only owns this much of the team, but he acts like he owns ALL of NY, how black is that? I've got a movie coming out...Django Unchained, I play a slave...how black is that? And in the movie I have to wear chains...ummm...how whack is that? But don't be worried, because I get out the chains, I get free, I save my wife, and I kill ALL the white people in the movie...how GREAT is that? And how black is it....."

It's difficult to grasp the prosodic features, or the emphasis he puts on certain words, through type, so here's the video...

http://youtu.be/B5jpYQdXvNc

We can now see the context of the joke as it was told. The person doing the killing is his character, who he refers to as himself, or "I". The white people he refers to are specifically the white slave owners within the movie (with the exception of the white man who freed his character, whom he did not kill). Not anyone else.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Lets start over from the beginning...

I went to research the joke in question. It is part of his monologue on an episode of SNL, where he's joking about how being black is the new white. Here is the line in question, and ill go back a few sentences to provide some context:

"The [NY] Nets moved to 'Brooklyn', how black is that? The courts black, Jay Z's the owner, a rapper, how black is that? He only owns this much of the team, but he acts like he owns ALL of NY, how black is that? I've got a movie coming out...Django Unchained, I play a slave...how black is that? And in the movie I have to wear chains...ummm...how whack is that? But don't be worried, because I get out the chains, I get free, I save my wife, and I kill ALL the white people in the movie...how GREAT is that? And how black is it....."

It's difficult to grasp the prosodic features, or the emphasis he puts on certain words, through type, so here's the video...

Jamie Foxx - Open Monologue - SNL [HQ] - YouTube

We can now see the context of the joke as it was told. The person doing the killing is his character, who he refers to as himself, or "I". The white people he refers to are specifically the white slave owners within the movie (with the exception of the white man who freed his character, whom he did not kill). Not anyone else.
    Like i said.....

You make my case for me. It's ok to describe slave owners as "white people". Stereotypes are acceptable only when applied to whites.

Like i said.....

You make my case for me. It's ok to describe slave owners as "white people". Stereotypes are acceptable only when applied to whites.
    Yes. It's ok because all the slave owners in the movie were white! Lol. It's not a stereotype because it is the truth. All the slave owners in "Django Unchained" were in fact white. That's undebatable.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Yes. It's ok because all the slave owners in the movie were white! Lol. It's not a stereotype because it is the truth. All the slave owners in "Django Unchained" were in fact white. That's undebatable.
    there were "black slavers" in the movie. Django even said "there is nothing worse than a black slaver", one of the primary villains in the movie was a "black slaver", Django spent half the movie pretending to be a "black slaver".

If you dont accept what Foxx said as a negative white stereotype, then you need to grab a dictionary and regain an understanding of what the word means. Referring to "slave owners" as "white people" is the very definition of a stereotype. You not understanding this just goes further to prove my point about the lack of sensitivity shown regarding the white race.
    Last edited by Sinfix_15; 04-24-2013 at 07:21 AM.

there were "black slavers" in the movie. Django even said "there is nothing worse than a black slaver", one of the primary villains in the movie was a "black slaver", Django spent half the movie pretending to be a "black slaver".
    Look, I'm not gonna pretend Jaime Foxx said something he didn't say. You can revise what he said to justify your ends if you want, but there's nothing about it that was even remotely racist against whites. Period. Anyone who has even a rudimentary grasp on the English language would agree. Furthermore, even suggesting that something as innocuous as what Foxx said was some kind of racist statement takes away from the racism that actually exists.

Foxx's joke was not racist, you are grasping at straws at this point.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

If you dont accept what Foxx said as a negative white stereotype, then you need to grab a dictionary and regain an understanding of what the word means. Referring to "slave owners" as "white people" is the very definition of a stereotype. You not understanding this just goes further to prove my point about the lack of sensitivity shown regarding the white race.
    Referring to ALL white people that ever existed would be a stereotype. Referring to just the characters in the movie who were white slave owners is NOT a stereotype. I couldn't make that any clearer.

Anyone who complains is only looking for something to complain about where nothing to complain about exists.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Referring to ALL white people that ever existed would be a stereotype. Referring to just the characters in the movie who were white slave owners is NOT a stereotype. I couldn't make that any clearer.

Anyone who complains is only looking for something to complain about where nothing to complain about exists.
    I am making the point that negative white stereotypes are not given the same sensitivity as other racial groups. Is Foxx a racist? i dont think so, no. Did his comment perpetuate a stereotype? yes.

Nobody cares if you say something negative about white people. That is the point.

Did his comment perpetuate a stereotype? yes.

Nobody cares if you say something negative about white people. That is the point.
    How does it perpetuate a stereotype when its a true statement? Lol. He said he killed all the white people in the movie. He did (for the most part.) All the white people he killed were slavers.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

How does it perpetuate a stereotype when its a true statement? Lol. He said he killed all the white people in the movie. He did (for the most part.) All the white people he killed were slavers.
    You need a ladder? dont want you to pull something from all that reaching

We need to get those minorities off the streets of chicago.
    Last edited by Sinfix_15; 04-24-2013 at 11:09 AM.

And the definition of a stereotype is?????

Islander

How about if this was said.... "I get to fly in a helicopter. We get shot down. I am one of the only white male soldiers surviving. How whack is that? But I finally get backup, get out my guns and get blasting away. 'It was fun killing all those blacks!!" - Black Hawk Down.

would that be racist?
    I got free clear tails with my ride.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast