Thread: Sequester day is here

Default Sequester day is here

How many of you got your pink slips? How many are feeling the effects of total anarchy from the 2.5% cut in total federal spending? Have all the police stations shut down yet? I imagine all of the schools are closing now though right? The borders are wide open now cause the border patrol and the military are no longer sustainable. What ever will we do to save ourselves from this total breakdown of American society? Can we even call this a country anymore?

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
    Lawdy Jesus save us all, it's total anarchy out there cause we all know the almighty govt can't function on a penny less than what they already don't have to spend.

Days of living off the land and fighting as in Mad Max are ahead lol

I am heading down to Hershel's farm tonight. I will take it by force if I have to.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    I am heading down to Hershel's farm tonight. I will take it by force if I have to.

Zombies burn that shit down

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

The economy must be good, it was NASCAR employee appreciation day yesterday and I got a pen.

If NASCAR can afford to give employees a pen then clearly everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by -EnVus- View Post
    Zombies burn that shit down
    Barn is fucked but the house is repairable. Its just going to be a place to recruit and train until I am ready to assault the prison. I am starting a new life for my people behind the high walls.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

How many of you got your pink slips? How many are feeling the effects of total anarchy from the 2.5% cut in total federal spending? Have all the police stations shut down yet? I imagine all of the schools are closing now though right? The borders are wide open now cause the border patrol and the military are no longer sustainable. What ever will we do to save ourselves from this total breakdown of American society? Can we even call this a country anymore?
    Not sure if it is any relation, but my company did go on a firing spree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Not sure if it is any relation, but my company did go on a firing spree.
    Thats just cause you suck at your job.

Thats just cause you suck at your job.

My job is safe and secure........

but i did see about 17 people get fired this week.

My job is safe and secure........

but i did see about 17 people get fired this week.
    Fired or laid off? 2 very different things.

I work in the defense industry and there hasnt been any credible rumors of upcoming layoffs.

To put things simply, all the sky is falling crap the president and his administration have been spouting was garbage. It was nothing more than playing politics. The only reason these cuts could be painful for anyone is if the administration wants them to. If they make the decision to have these cuts as painful as possible, they could well be very painful. That is all in the hands of political appointees though.

WOOT! The union is gonna Dissolve over 2.5%.
    Try not. Do or Do not.

Go to full screen and watch. Do not dismiss just because you don't like Hannity.

On a side note: I would totally bang that "Airwoman/EMT/Firewoman/whatever" (if that's the correct term) over Obama's shoulder (on Feb 19th) in the first video clip.

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Echonova; 03-02-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Fired or laid off? 2 very different things.

I work in the defense industry and there hasnt been any credible rumors of upcoming layoffs.

To put things simply, all the sky is falling crap the president and his administration have been spouting was garbage. It was nothing more than playing politics. The only reason these cuts could be painful for anyone is if the administration wants them to. If they make the decision to have these cuts as painful as possible, they could well be very painful. That is all in the hands of political appointees though.
    Combing for people to fire prior to a layoff. Security was walking people out of the building all week.

Combing for people to fire prior to a layoff. Security was walking people out of the building all week.
    I think every company gets a little more strict and punishes a little more harshly when layoffs are coming. Why lay off a good solid worker and keep the troublemaker when you can avoid it?

I think every company gets a little more strict and punishes a little more harshly when layoffs are coming. Why lay off a good solid worker and keep the troublemaker when you can avoid it?
    I agree, plus it saves on unemployment. They sent a ton of people in for drug screens and most of the firings were from failed drug tests. They also fired a few people for not having their keys. It was clear that there was a quota to be met. In 3 years ive seen maybe 2 randoms, then they go and do 50 randoms in 1 week. Lot of the people who failed drug tests were good working normal people, but it is what it is if you decide to take that chance. Depending on who you are, someone might whisper in your ear when something like this is on the horizon.

TheMyth

Have a friend that was served with furlough papers this past Saturday... I guess I will see if I get the same ones tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by Berta View Post
    Have a friend that was served with furlough papers this past Saturday... I guess I will see if I get the same ones tomorrow..
    What do you guys do? Unless you are a federal govt employee there is no possible way you have been affected by this already. Even if you are, you have been affected because of the choices made by political appointees, not because of the cuts. Not a single program being cut could not absorb those cuts with little to no noticible changes.

TheMyth

You first assumption is correct... And he can't work overtime to make up for the regular time that is lost.

What do you guys do? Unless you are a federal govt employee there is no possible way you have been affected by this already. Even if you are, you have been affected because of the choices made by political appointees, not because of the cuts. Not a single program being cut could not absorb those cuts with little to no noticible changes.
    I have to be given a 30 day advance notice before being furloughed. My boss had to submit a furlough schedule that has every employee being furloughed 1-2 days a month till the end of September. If they say the word then that schedule goes into effect in 30 days. So far no word on when/if that will happen. Keeping my fingers crossed.

2013 GT500
    1989 Mustang 5.0

TheMyth

My friend has been given his notice. At least that's what he told me this afternoon..

Quote Originally Posted by SHHHH View Post
    I have to be given a 30 day advance notice before being furloughed. My boss had to submit a furlough schedule that has every employee being furloughed 1-2 days a month till the end of September. If they say the word then that schedule goes into effect in 30 days. So far no word on when/if that will happen. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Soooo all told you could lose like 12 days of work altogether? I think I'd rather take 12 unpaid days over not having a job at all. Just sayin'

TheMyth

22 days with no pay. But totally agree, still better than not having a job.

22 days with no pay. But totally agree, still better than not having a job.
    You will still make more than someone with thr same job title in the private sector.

TheMyth

Not really. There is many trades where I'm at. And the privets sector isn't too far from me. And the private sector that works out here makes about $10 hr more than I do currently.

Not really. There is many trades where I'm at. And the privets sector isn't too far from me. And the private sector that works out here makes about $10 hr more than I do currently.
    You have to be pretty damn new at your job and comparing your wages to that of the top earners then. On average, a govt hourly worker makes about 15% more per hour than a private sector worker in the same job, at the same skill level. On top of that, govt workers typically have a FAR superior benefits package that is good for another 25-40% higher lifetime earnings. This includes superior insurance at a lower cost, PTO, and especially a pension.

TheMyth

My previous job didn't pay bad. Just traveled all over the nation, lived out of a suit case, and a lot of long hours. 401k plan is definitely better, insurance is about the same..

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    Soooo all told you could lose like 12 days of work altogether? I think I'd rather take 12 unpaid days over not having a job at all. Just sayin'
    I agree with that 100%. I dont think anyone is going to argue against it hahaha. Pay cut in general is just never a fun process to go through.

2013 GT500
    1989 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by SHHHH View Post
    I agree with that 100%. I dont think anyone is going to argue against it hahaha. Pay cut in general is just never a fun process to go through.
    Hell no it ain't. I got a 30% cut last month, that hurt but oh well, just gotta put in the extra hours to make up for it.

You have to be pretty damn new at your job and comparing your wages to that of the top earners then. On average, a govt hourly worker makes about 15% more per hour than a private sector worker in the same job, at the same skill level. On top of that, govt workers typically have a FAR superior benefits package that is good for another 25-40% higher lifetime earnings. This includes superior insurance at a lower cost, PTO, and especially a pension.
    Some may be making 30% more, some maybe 15% less than a private sector equivalent. So while some people in government are doing more than fine, it doesn't mean everyone is. That is why averages don't tell the whole story. You wouldn't tell a $20k level worker that less hours is fine because the national average household income is $50k. Individuals don't care about averages, they care about their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    Some may be making 30% more, some maybe 15% less than a private sector equivalent. So while some people in government are doing more than fine, it doesn't mean everyone is. That is why averages don't tell the whole story. You wouldn't tell a $20k level worker that less hours is fine because the national average household income is $50k. Individuals don't care about averages, they care about their lives.
    This is why I pointed out the pay differential of people doing the same job at the same skill level.

This has kind of gotten off topic. The fact remains that political appointees and member of the administration have made a conscience decision to make the sequester cuts hurt as many people as possible instead of budgeting the cuts in a manner that would leave people unaffected.

Anyone hear about the message on the visitor line for the Whore House? They claim they have to end self guided tours through the east wing because of sequester cuts.

This is why I pointed out the pay differential of people doing the same job at the same skill level.
    If you understand that not every government worker is making more than their private sector equivalent, why did you make the following statement?

You will still make more than someone with thr same job title in the private sector.

This has kind of gotten off topic. The fact remains that political appointees and member of the administration have made a conscience decision to make the sequester cuts hurt as many people as possible instead of budgeting the cuts in a manner that would leave people unaffected.
    It's a fact the congress could not agree on an alternative to sequestration (at least not yet), but this discussion is not off topic. The effects of sequestration are very important when deciding whether to make a deal or to let sequestration happen. Many politicians are saying sequestration isn't a big deal and hence, why bother compromising. If you assume every single government worker is overpaid based on an average, you are implying furloughed employees don't deserve much sympathy, but that is not the case. To be fair, I do believe the Obama administration is making it sound overly apocalyptic. We are not politicians on this forum and thus, we have nothing to gain from echoing the exaggeration coming from both sides of the political arena.

Anyone else see the Dow closed yesterday at the highest level ever?

Maybe we could use some more sequestrations.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    If you understand that not every government worker is making more than their private sector equivalent, why did you make the following statement?

It's a fact the congress could not agree on an alternative to sequestration (at least not yet), but this discussion is not off topic. The effects of sequestration are very important when deciding whether to make a deal or to let sequestration happen. Many politicians are saying sequestration isn't a big deal and hence, why bother compromising. If you assume every single government worker is overpaid based on an average, you are implying furloughed employees don't deserve much sympathy, but that is not the case. To be fair, I do believe the Obama administration is making it sound overly apocalyptic. We are not politicians on this forum and thus, we have nothing to gain from echoing the exaggeration coming from both sides of the political arena.

I realized I painted way too broad of a brush with that comment so I got more specific in a later post. Obviously a govt worker on day 1 isnt going to make more than the guy doing the job for 20 years. He will make more than the private sector worker on day 1 though.

We are completely agreed on the rhetoric. GOP had to have known Obama was overplaying his hand and there was little to no chance of losing the PR war when they decided to keep their had stance on the cuts. I heard today that the House has passed a CR that actually cuts even more out of the domestic side. Military is untouched in their CR.

I was actually about to bring this up. I was listening to 'Taking Stock' on Bloomberg on the way home from work. The analyst they were talking to basicly said the record is insignificant. The fed has dumped so much cash into the system, the DOW would need to top 25k tomorrow to have the same relative strength as it did before the collapse.

Yeah, stock market at a record high while the economy is teetering on the verge of negative growth and unemployment is "holding steady" ~ 8%. You're smart enough to put the puzzle pieces together and realize why this isn't the great news that it's being presented as.

Anyone with a little economics savvy knows that the DOW is only 30 companies and is a poor indicator for the economy as a whole. Also people are pooring money into the stock market because it's better than CDs, savings accounts, bonds, etc when rates are at all time lows.