Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOTU- I didnt watch but caught 1 sound byte..............$9/hr minimum wage?

Default SOTU- I didnt watch but caught 1 sound byte..............$9/hr minimum wage?

Saw the recap of most of the SOTU, more of the same , nothing fancy or exciting. More promises of shit that congress will NEVER pass, more lies about how its deficit neutral, blah blah blah.

but then i caught the "raise $9/hr" portion, and I cannot believe the president of the united states is saying this. Anyone else believe in this? Its a terrible idea. It is basically forcing inflation on everyone. Wages should rise because market demands higher wages. Minimum wage ISNT for people to SURVIVE and have a CAREER on. Its for lowly skilled people in high school or college at the bottom of the labor force. If you are 40 years old working minimum wage you have issues that are much larger than the prez raising your hourly wage.

Why stop at $9/hr? Why not $20?$50?

This sounds like that "living wage" crap occupy was pushing. You realize if you raise minimum wage to $9/hr 2 things will happen:

A) a business will cut workers
    B) a business will raise its prices

Their costs go up, YOUR costs go up. Their costs go up, your job suffers.

Im really not spewing GOP or conservative stuff, im being deadly serious. No one who actually understands how the economy works should agree with this.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

notihng?
    -www.usedbarcode.net

I have no disagreement with your assessment.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

I don't really agree with raising min wage that much, it should be around where its at right now, but I don't see that much harm in raising it, economically speaking anyway.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

I agree that raising minimum wage will cause inflationary pressures. I'm not really sure how to determine what is an appropriate minimum wage. It seems to me the minimum wage is a balance between raising costs/prices for business (and therefor consumers) and ensuring people aren't taking advantage of because of their circumstances. What are your thoughts on what the minimum wage should be Vteck? and how did you arrive at that?

Can someone explain inflationary pressure due to the raise of min wage? This doesn't affect everyone, just people working menial jobs. It's pretty obvious looking at the S&P500, businesses have the money to pay higher min wage, it seems like they just choose not to because they can. What do you think happens to the money they pay in increased wages? Does it go under a mattress somewhere? Foreign investments/savings overseas? Lol

"Paying someone minimum wage is like telling them 'I'd pay you less if I could, but the law won't allow me, and that's how I feel about you"
    -Chris Rock

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Can someone explain inflationary pressure due to the raise of min wage? This doesn't affect everyone, just people working menial jobs. It's pretty obvious looking at the S&P500, businesses have the money to pay higher min wage, it seems like they just choose not to because they can. What do you think happens to the money they pay in increased wages? Does it go under a mattress somewhere? Foreign investments/savings overseas? Lol

"Paying someone minimum wage is like telling them 'I'd pay you less if I could, but the law won't allow me, and that's how I feel about you"
    -Chris Rock
    It really only affects small businesses or large one that employ multitudes of minimum wage personnel.

Small business owners would probably be impacted the most. Take a hypothetical business that pays minimum wage to it's 6 employees currently (typical retail store).

Georgia Minimum Wage Rates - $5.15/hr
    (Applicable to employers of 6 or more employees)
    The State law excludes from coverage any employment that is subject to the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act when the Federal rate is greater than the State rate.

GA's rate is lower than the Federal standard : Minimum Wage Laws in the States - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor

If the business owner is open Mon-Sat from 9am-6pm was paying the minimum to the 6 employees (rotating so that all get 40 hrs/wk), that is $1236/wk in pay. If the minimum went to $9/hr, then it would be $2160. That's a difference of $924 that would have to come from somewhere, and predictably, it would likely come from higher prices to consumers, which in turn, would generate additional sales tax revenue. Your dollar would not go as far in that scenario.
    The other part is that the additional money in the paycheck to the lower income individuals tends to be spent, rather than saved, which would also generate additional sales tax revenue. As most of those making minimum wage do not usually have to pay out in income tax, it should not affect them that way.

A large corporation like Wal-Mart should be affected; however, with their vast resources, it shouldn't change much in the way of prices. You do have to remember though that a lot of low income people shop there, so any rise in prices would affect them disproportionately - but probably not too badly, and they could use the rise in pay.

Large corporations that employ skilled labor shouldn't see a change in minimum wage affect them at all.

Chris Rock's statement is very true in this case. It is sad, but it is true.

More taxes.

gov. wins
    1994 Nissan Skyline BNR32- Currently being built for 1000+awhp (the works)

2003 Subaru Wrx (jdm sti ext.conv)- 6.0 LSx , T56, Fast 92 TB,IM,MS4 cam,+++

1995 Nissan S14.5- Sr20det, built motor, full race 3071r turbo kit, z32 tranny+++

1997 Honda Civic Ek Hatch- In process: K24/20 BC stroker, custom turbo kit, tubbed +++

Because it would result in 5% of the hourly wages paid working force would see their wages increase, which would directly hurt those businesses who hire people that make minimum wage.
    Restaurants, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, basically any place someone 25 an under works would see a $2/hr increase in wages.

have 50 employees? $2/hr for 40 hour a week employees=$ $16000 a month increase (CHECK MY MATH BLANK)

Its not just about the $9/hr employees, its about everyone above them as well. What happens to the guy making $10/hr when the 16 year old kid starts making $9 instead of $7.50? Well he has to get a raise too right? I mean if we are just arbitrarily handing out raises to make people "survive" why not do it for everyone?

As those lower end wages raise, laws of economics dictate that the curve will shift upward. Prices will rise because you jut added a $16k/month expense to the business at minimum. Thats if you keep everyone else salary the same. Minimum wage is there to protect people from child labor laws, and establish a minimum standard of living for a short period of time. It was NEVER meant to be a CAREER wage.

$1200/month is enough to live on in most areas when you are 16-25.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Because it would result in 5% of the hourly wages paid working force would see their wages increase, which would directly hurt those businesses who hire people that make minimum wage.
    Restaurants, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, basically any place someone 25 an under works would see a $2/hr increase in wages.

have 50 employees? $2/hr for 40 hour a week employees=$ $16000 a month increase (CHECK MY MATH BLANK)

Its not just about the $9/hr employees, its about everyone above them as well. What happens to the guy making $10/hr when the 16 year old kid starts making $9 instead of $7.50? Well he has to get a raise too right? I mean if we are just arbitrarily handing out raises to make people "survive" why not do it for everyone?

As those lower end wages raise, laws of economics dictate that the curve will shift upward. Prices will rise because you jut added a $16k/month expense to the business at minimum. Thats if you keep everyone else salary the same. Minimum wage is there to protect people from child labor laws, and establish a minimum standard of living for a short period of time. It was NEVER meant to be a CAREER wage.
    If you're making $7/hr right now and barely getting by, and I give you $80 more a week, what are you going to do with that extra money? Save it? Or are you going to buy more groceries, food, frivolous shit. Guess what the people who make min wage sell? Groceries, food, frivolous shit.

As a business owner, your $16000/mo increase is coming right back to you in the form of increased sales.

If you are a small business turning a profit right now after EVERYONE is paid, and you can't afford to give everyone a raise, you're probably not doing so well as a business anyway OR you're paying yourself too much.

But what we're seeing is minimum wage going up, volumes of retail sales increasing, but prices of goods are increasing arbitrarily because they don't want to take the hit in the short run because it looks bad to shareholders.

This is why I don't agree with increasing the minimum wage at this point. It does nothing to affect the price of goods. It's more or less a feel-good measure.

$1200/month is enough to live on in most areas when you are 16-25
    Maybe if you're staying with your mom. There was a study somewhere, I can find it when I get home, that showed the work week hrs it took to afford standard living state by state. Nowhere were the # of hrs 40 or below, and I think the closest was about 50. Min wage jobs aren't supposed to be careers, but they are meant to survive. Not many people go to work for Walmart or McD's for fun.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Asking......

Couldnt raising min wage reduce some of the government benefits received by people making min wage and also increase tax revenue a small amount? Pass a small amount of that burden off to the employer, who will then ultimately pass it on to the consumer.

Its called inflation, you are assuming the extra $80 a week is consistent with CURRENT price levels. Simple Econ 101 proves this theory wrong. Demand and supply curve will shift when outside forces increase prices or limit supply.

The extra cost the business incurs is directly passed onto the worker/consumer in the form of higher prices.

$7/hr might allow you to buy a $50 PS3 game. If the company making that PS3 game has to pay workers 2$/hr more, that game becomes $60, the result of the increased wage results in increased prices aka INFLATION.

Let me make it simpler:

Obama , instead of passing the Stimulus Bill, decides to just mail every family $500,000 in cash, merry xmas. Now, every person in america can go buy a z06 for $80k. you think chevy will keep the price of their Z06 at $80k? Absolutely not. They will raise prices on their goods to a new equilibrium.

If everyone made $100,000 a year you think a GTR would still cost $70K? Gallon of milk would cost $3?
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Its called inflation, you are assuming the extra $80 a week is consistent with CURRENT price levels. Simple Econ 101 proves this theory wrong. Demand and supply curve will shift when outside forces increase prices or limit supply.

The extra cost the business incurs is directly passed onto the worker/consumer in the form of higher prices.

$7/hr might allow you to buy a $50 PS3 game. If the company making that PS3 game has to pay workers 2$/hr more, that game becomes $60, the result of the increased wage results in increased prices aka INFLATION.

Let me make it simpler:

Obama , instead of passing the Stimulus Bill, decides to just mail every family $500,000 in cash, merry xmas. Now, every person in america can go buy a z06 for $80k. you think chevy will keep the price of their Z06 at $80k? Absolutely not. They will raise prices on their goods to a new equilibrium.

If everyone made $100,000 a year you think a GTR would still cost $70K? Gallon of milk would cost $3?
    Let's see what blank has to say about this...

Whatever you've got, I've read it, studied it. I know more than you.

YAHTZEE!!!!!!!

Last I checked prices was not going down but up with the current wages anyways. So Let the government stop the market gouging and cost raise in living before they bitch. Then the idea of raising wages wouldn't have to be an issue. Way to many people are working just as hard today as 8 years ago just to pay more for the same stuff today. Companies like Walmart, McDonald's and many more make 5x the amount each hour then employe wages even if raised. As stated this will really only effect smaller business as if Obama cared about them anyways. If more money is payed to the people then its just going back into the products anyways. Just imagine if wages was still only $7hr then gas would still be $3-4gal and Cost of utilities and food will be on the rise.

If you're making $7/hr right now and barely getting by, and I give you $80 more a week, what are you going to do with that extra money? Save it? Or are you going to buy more groceries, food, frivolous shit. Guess what the people who make min wage sell? Groceries, food, frivolous shit.

As a business owner, your $16000/mo increase is coming right back to you in the form of increased sales.

If you are a small business turning a profit right now after EVERYONE is paid, and you can't afford to give everyone a raise, you're probably not doing so well as a business anyway OR you're paying yourself too much.

But what we're seeing is minimum wage going up, volumes of retail sales increasing, but prices of goods are increasing arbitrarily because they don't want to take the hit in the short run because it looks bad to shareholders.

This is why I don't agree with increasing the minimum wage at this point. It does nothing to affect the price of goods. It's more or less a feel-good measure.

Maybe if you're staying with your mom. There was a study somewhere, I can find it when I get home, that showed the work week hrs it took to afford standard living state by state. Nowhere were the # of hrs 40 or below, and I think the closest was about 50. Min wage jobs aren't supposed to be careers, but they are meant to survive. Not many people go to work for Walmart or McD's for fun.
    everything I've ever read from you... I've disagreed with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.EM1 View Post
    learn to english

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Wow.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

...and holy crap minimum wage here is $5.15!?!? LOL Now I really feel bad for anyone who says they make minimum wage, you could make more begging for change.

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    ...and holy crap minimum wage here is $5.15!?!? LOL Now I really feel bad for anyone who says they make minimum wage, you could make more begging for change.
    To be clear, I believe that the federal minimum wage takes precedent and the true minimum wage for individuals is $7.25/hr currently. I have not read anything on the minimum wage laws in quite a while, and I am only relying on memory here. Georgia has not maintained a compliance with the federal standard legally, but people should be paid the federal minimum - I think.

Also - the federal standard covers most, but not all industry positions, so technically both standards are possible in the state at the same time, but for different groups.
    Last edited by David88vert; 02-14-2013 at 07:27 AM.

^^^ Correct, you are paid the Fed min. Unless you are a "tipped employee"...In Georgia we have a special exemption for them, if you're a waitress/server you make $2.13/hr. So the next time you stiff a waitress I hope you feel bad about it.

Unless they were a really shitty server.

I really hope your kidding on your logic.... But then again we do have a dumbass black president. So I'm not surprised by this logic....

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 1.8 million paid-hourly employees were paid the federal minimum wage of $7.25 in 2010. They are primarily 2 mostly equal groups.

49% are under 25. 62% of this group live in families with incomes two or more times the poverty level. 17% percent are below the poverty line.

51% are 25 or older. 29% live in poor families. 46% makes less than 1.5x the poverty level. 25% of the 46% voluntarily work part-time, and 34% are full-time full-year employees.

Only 21% of all minimum wage workers are family heads or spouses working full time, 31% are children, and 32% are adults enrolled in school. The popular belief that minimum wage workers are poor adults (25 or older), working full time and trying to raise a family is largely untrue. Less than 5% (4.7% in 2010) match that description.

All of this can be found by looking at the Bureau of Labor Statistic's Current Population Survey data.

In the federal minimum wage increase from $5.15 to $7.25, 16% of the workers who were expected to gain from it lived in poor households. In the previously discussed proposal to raise it to $9.50, 11% of the workers who would gain live in poor households. Of that 11%, 63% are second or third earners living in households with incomes twice the poverty line.

More interestingly, we should take look at what Governor Togiola Tulafono siad in sworn testimony before the Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife, Oceans and Insular Affairs, House Committee on Natural Resources, on Sep 23, 2011:
    "We are watching our economy burn down. We know what to do to stop it. We need to bring the aggressive wage costs decreed by the Federal Government under control... Our job market is being torched. Our businesses are being depressed. Our hope for growth has been driven away."
    What he was discussing was, the impact of minimum wage increases on American Samoa. The US imposed between 2007 and 2009, and it turned out so bad that Obama signed into law a bill postponing the minimum wage increases scheduled for 2010 and 2011. Governor Togiola Tulafono came before Congress to try to stop the scheduled 2012 increase of $0.50.

Since it went so badly when they tried to raise the minimum wages that Obama took action to stop it, why is he pushing for it for the rest of the country now? Did he not learn from that experiment, or is he intentionally attempting to repeat the same effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrizzle View Post
    everything I've ever read from you... I've disagreed with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteAccord View Post
    I really hope your kidding on your logic.... But then again we do have a dumbass black president. So I'm not surprised by this logic....
    I didnt expect either of you two to agree with me, your knowledge of economics is just short of what happens when you rub two pennies together, so my expectations for ya'll are pretty low to begin with. Next time, it would be wise to first audit one college-level econ class, THEN issue a rebuttal. I wish people would understand that theres more to economics than just that bullshit "checkbook theory" that circles around facebook.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Let me make it simpler:

Are you talking about injecting money, or a stimulus, at a system wide level? Cause thats not what Im talking about, Im confused. Youve got two different examples of inflation here...

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

I'm not sure why people are disagreeing with blank's statements here. They aren't blatently wrong, if you read and see who he is talking about in each step.

The only industry that was actually tied to raising their prices when the minimum wage was raised were restaurants. 8 studies have been done since the last federal wage raise, and only restaurants were found to pass all of the cost on through higher prices to customers.

Additionally, nearly two-thirds of minimum wage workers move above that wage within one year, and full-time minimum wage workers see a first year raise is about 14 percent on average. This is in-line with what blank stated.

As someone who supports a full family, I agree that $1200/month is not enough. $1200/wk wouldn't cover my bills.

If you read his statement clearly, I'm not sure how you can say it is just flat wrong - it's not. He's not in favor of just raising the minimum wage without a reason, and he's right this time. Raising it is only a political move, just to feel good when mid-term elections come around.

I don't really agree with raising min wage that much, it should be around where its at right now, but I don't see that much harm in raising it, economically speaking anyway.
    Minimum wage should not be raised. It's called minimum wage for a reason... the minimum amount of money for you to live. Water, milk, eggs, bread, and peanut butter. No god damn cell phones, no car, no gucci shoes, no watch, no hats, no this, no that. MINIMUM WAGE. If you work your ass off you get a raise because you have provided added value to your company. It is completely against economics i.e. demand and supply. If a work does not create any customer value then there is no way they should get $9 an hour. Prove your worth. This is what is wrong with America, I deserve this, I want an iPhone 18 that came out yesterday. I am just ranting at this point but there is some truth and value behind this post. Not directing this at blank but at America in general. People don't know what minimum age means. Some government accountant/finance personnel should figure out the bare needs for life and what it costs per month divide that by 160 and boom the correct minimum wage. If it's $9, which I doubt, then it should be $9.

Edit: Blank I saw where you posted that to live per month it's no where near 40 hours a week. Starting out 40 hours a week is not a full work week anymore. Times have changed, that is an obsolete number and we need to get off of it. In July at my job I will be starting at $50k+ and will be working 50-60 hours a week and then some depending on supply schedules, production, lines, etc etc. I will also be working weekends some. Business has changed and that is at every level from the ground up.

Quote Originally Posted by On_Her_Face View Post
    Minimum wage should not be raised. It's called minimum wage for a reason... the minimum amount of money for you to live. Water, milk, eggs, bread, and peanut butter. No god damn cell phones, no car, no gucci shoes, no watch, no hats, no this, no that. MINIMUM WAGE. If you work your ass off you get a raise because you have provided added value to your company. It is completely against economics i.e. demand and supply. If a work does not create any customer value then there is no way they should get $9 an hour. Prove your worth. This is what is wrong with America, I deserve this, I want an iPhone 18 that came out yesterday. I am just ranting at this point but there is some truth and value behind this post. Not directing this at blank but at America in general. People don't know what minimum age means. Some government accountant/finance personnel should figure out the bare needs for life and what it costs per month divide that by 160 and boom the correct minimum wage. If it's $9, which I doubt, then it should be $9.
    So what do you do when the price of food and gasoline goes up, and those people making min wage can't afford necessities anymore?

Food for thought: Adjusted for inflation, minimum wage was $10/hr back in the late 50s/early 60s.

Edit: Blank I saw where you posted that to live per month it's no where near 40 hours a week. Starting out 40 hours a week is not a full work week anymore. Times have changed, that is an obsolete number and we need to get off of it. In July at my job I will be starting at $50k+ and will be working 50-60 hours a week and then some depending on supply schedules, production, lines, etc etc. I will also be working weekends some. Business has changed and that is at every level from the ground up.
    The fact that Americans work the greatest total hrs of any developed nation is another thread entirely.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

So what do you do when the price of food and gasoline goes up, and those people making min wage can't afford necessities anymore?

Food for thought: Adjusted for inflation, minimum wage was $10/hr back in the late 50s/early 60s.

The fact that Americans work the greatest total hrs of any developed nation is another thread entirely.
    I could cut back a few hours if not for so many taxes and social programs.

you know.... all those things you support.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    I could cut back a few hours if not for so many taxes and social programs.

you know.... all those things you support.
    Hmmmm....

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Hmmmm....
    Theoretically.....

Is it good or bad for the safety net business to create an environment that doesnt need safety nets?

Gasoline should not be a factor for minimum wage. Live as close to your work, ride a bike, walk, run, use public transportation. A car is still a luxury, any car at that. I also posted for food, the bare minimum... milk, eggs, water, bread, peanut butter, etc. Ramen for God's sake. Work harder for luxuries.

People bitching saying minimum wage isn't enough, aren't living within their means. Nobody does this anymore. That is where the problem resides.

I didnt expect either of you two to agree with me, your knowledge of economics is just short of what happens when you rub two pennies together, so my expectations for ya'll are pretty low to begin with. Next time, it would be wise to first audit one college-level econ class, THEN around facebook.
    You know nothing about me. You're the epitome of the worst kind of person. I feel like the only thing you do is find something to argue with. The things you say are so farfetched and asinine it's hard to believ you're serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.EM1 View Post
    learn to english

Gasoline should not be a factor for minimum wage. Live as close to your work, ride a bike, walk, run, use public transportation. A car is still a luxury, any car at that. I also posted for food, the bare minimum... milk, eggs, water, bread, peanut butter, etc. Ramen for God's sake. Work harder for luxuries.

People bitching saying minimum wage isn't enough, aren't living within their means. Nobody does this anymore. That is where the problem resides.
    Breakdown how $1200/month can go far enough for a family of four. An apartment will run $600/month for a 2 bed room OTP. Since you wouldn't have a car, you will need to live near a bus/train line - that's $95/month for a 30-day pass (that's the cheapest option) - and we will assume that you can walk anywhere else. Your electric bill will likely run another $100/month on average, as will your gas bill also, but let's figure only $150/month average for the pair of them. You're down to $350 already. WIC and food stamps can cover most of the basics, but you will have some basic supplies that you will need, but let's guess that they aren't more than $50/month - you know, soap, towels, cleaning supplies, etc, that aren't covered. We'll also assume that no one ever gets sick and misses work, or needs medicine. No phone of course - oh, but wait, there are no more payphones - so how did you get the job in the first place, since they couldn't reach you to setup your initial interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrizzle View Post
    You know nothing about me. You're the epitome of the worst kind of person. I feel like the only thing you do is find something to argue with. The things you say are so farfetched and asinine it's hard to believ you're serious.
    Good. Ill still be the worst kind of person with more than two brain cells, and you'll still be the guy that doesn't know what happens, economically, when two pennies rub together. I'm not forcing you to believe anything I say at all, not a single fuck will be given, but I do ask that before you run your mouth again about shit that you don't understand, have a friend of yours slap you in the temple with a college level economics book. I'm not even sure if someone with as thick of a head as yours would learn anything using that method anyway. I'm sorry the concept of economics is so asinine and too far fetched for you to comprehend. That's a personal problem.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Some government accountant/finance personnel should figure out the bare needs for life and what it costs per month divide that by 160 and boom the correct minimum wage. If it's $9, which I doubt, then it should be $9.
    I don't understand why you are ranting about why we shouldn't raise it to $9/hr when in the quoted statement you concede that maybe it actually should be $9/hr. I think your thinking about how to determine the right minimum wage is on track though.

I also want to applaud David for actually doing some research on the numbers although what I really would like to see is the numbers that explain why $7.25/hr is more appropriate than $9/hr. It's hard to argue if the minimum wage should be higher or lower if we don't know why it's at the level it is now.

Family of 4? Who the fuck is providing for a family of 4 at minimum wage?

If you're making minimum wage probably shouldn't be having 2 kids.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

The simple answer is prices are raising sure to the devaluation of our dollar because of our debt and interest rates.

Create jobs . Real jobs, and it solves everything. It doesn't bother you thatt Obama economic plan is to raise minimum wage and extend unemployment benefits ? That's it?
    -www.usedbarcode.net

A lot of families lost their jobs in the downturn in the economy. Perhaps you missed the multitudes of articles on people that lost their IT jobs, and ended up working in fast food at minimum wage. They already had kids and lost their homes, so they had no chance but to rent.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    I don't understand why you are ranting about why we shouldn't raise it to $9/hr when in the quoted statement you concede that maybe it actually should be $9/hr. I think your thinking about how to determine the right minimum wage is on track though.

I also want to applaud David for actually doing some research on the numbers although what I really would like to see is the numbers that explain why $7.25/hr is more appropriate than $9/hr. It's hard to argue if the minimum wage should be higher or lower if we don't know why it's at the level it is now.
    Yes I don't have the real numbers but $9 an hour seems high to me as I run basic numbers. That's all I'm getting at. Also people try to live outside their means.

Certified Gearhead BenjaminJunu's Avatar

People get laid off and lose jobs all the time... Their kids don't just stop living. Instead of waiting around for a job that paid your previous salary; you take a job that pays minimum wage so that you can get by.

I made $80k last year I'll make 20k this year. I'll survive. I lost my job I'm one of those IT people. But its TEMPORARY .

If you're in IT with any real expertise jobs are there. I chose to get my degree but I've turned down $45-55k a year jobs just to focus on school.

OK well fuck let's just give everyone who gets laid off free $50k/year jobs right? Why stop at $9 hr.

Let's just give everyone a free house and food and a car. Fuck it let's do it. No more poverty.

The argument you're making is ridiculous with all due respect.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast