Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455 LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,120 of 2190

Thread: Defend your right to own a car.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

With a car, i can buy a car capable of speeding, which is against the law. Every single car sold is capable of breaking the law.

With a gun, it is suggested that the capability of the gun should be limited, regardless of the intent of the owner and in advance of any laws being broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    With a car, i can buy a car capable of speeding, which is against the law. Every single car sold is capable of breaking the law.

With a gun, it is suggested that the capability of the gun should be limited, regardless of the intent of the owner and in advance of any laws being broken.
    I think you are focusing too much on the metaphor and missing the bigger picture. Cars are regulated (both on the driving side and on the manufacturing side) with the intention of making them safer for the drivers and for others. The specifics about what is reasonable for a car or a gun can be debated but the common starting point is that some regulations can result in less (but not no) danger.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    I think you are focusing too much on the metaphor and missing the bigger picture. Cars are regulated (both on the driving side and on the manufacturing side) with the intention of making them safer for the drivers and for others. The specifics about what is reasonable for a car or a gun can be debated but the common starting point is that some regulations can result in less (but not no) danger.
    Lets change the word regulated to limited.

Cars do not get limited based on safety. Guns should be regulated for safety, as they currently are.... and by this i mean that i dont want my gun exploding in my hand, not that i want it's performance to be limited.

Lets change the word regulated to limited.

Cars do not get limited based on safety. Guns should be regulated for safety, as they currently are.... and by this i mean that i dont want my gun exploding in my hand, not that i want it's performance to be limited.
    You may not want it to be and that's fine to hold that opinion, but not everyone agrees. Also I believe there are laws that limit your cars performance as well. I don't believe you are allowed to run slicks on the street as you can be ticketed for not having a certain tread depth (I could be wrong on this one). Also the manufacturers have regulations about hood heights/angles, bumpers, etc which are intended to make the cars safer but certainly hinder performance from an aerodynamics perspective.

You may not want it to be and that's fine to hold that opinion, but not everyone agrees. Also I believe there are laws that limit your cars performance as well. I don't believe you are allowed to run slicks on the street as you can be ticketed for not having a certain tread depth (I could be wrong on this one). Also the manufacturers have regulations about hood heights/angles, bumpers, etc which are intended to make the cars safer but certainly hinder performance from an aerodynamics perspective.
    Those regulations are about where you can take your vehicle, not owning it. I can still purchase slicks, hoods, or do anything i want. They are conditions of using the public street, not owning vehicles. Guns are prohibited in certain places as well, killing people is also regulated....

There's no regulation as it pertains to what i do with my vehicle on private property.......

There's no regulation as it pertains to what i do with my vehicle on private property.......
    Well not exactly, you can't put a fully automatic gun on your car if you are not licensed right? haha. Anyways, the metaphor is interesting to talk about but it's not really the crux of the issue. The limits put on one technology doesn't have to match the limits placed on another. If you think we shouldn't limit the capability of guns, fine. But that really doesn't have anything to do with cars.

Well not exactly, you can't put a fully automatic gun on your car if you are not licensed right? haha. Anyways, the metaphor is interesting to talk about but it's not really the crux of the issue. The limits put on one technology doesn't have to match the limits placed on another. If you think we shouldn't limit the capability of guns, fine. But that really doesn't have anything to do with cars.
    Actually you can as long as all other applicable laws are followed.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    Actually you can as long as all other applicable laws are followed.
    Which is why I said "if you are not licensed".

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    This is dubious. I'd like to see a source for that. There was no such database when I worked at Nissan.
    9) Executive Anti-Terrorism Order – Verify Customer I.D. & Check Blocked Persons List

Dealer Legal Compliance

Executive Anti-Terrorism Order – Verify Customer I.D. & Check Blocked Persons List With so much attention being directed toward the rules evolving under the Patriot Act, the requirements under Presidential Executive Order 13224 are often overlooked. The Executive Order prohibits U.S. citizens from entering into ?any transaction or dealing? with individuals or entities identified either in the Executive Order, by the Department of Treasury or by the Secretaries of State as posing a significant risk of committing terrorist acts or providing support to these organizations or individuals. The Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) maintains an alphabetical master list of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons. Individuals who violate the Order by entering into a transaction with a ?blocked? person or entity can be fined up to $250,000 and serve up to 10 years in prison, while companies can be fined up to $500,000.

Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) Click Here

Blocked Persons List – (SDN) Specially Designated Nationals – Suspected Terrorists

The law requires car dealers to verify their customers identity and check the SDN database. If you encounter a person who?s name appears on the SDN database, do not do business with him or her. Call local PHONE NUMBER BELOW. Call GIADA if you have questions. Link: Click here for access to (SDN) Blocked Persons List This link will take you to the U.S. Department of Treasury Website. Click on Specially Designated Nations (SDN) List. This is a rather large PDF file and approximately 180 pages. High speed Internet is highly recommended. IMPORTANT: IN THE EVENT THAT A MOTOR VEHICLE DEALERSHIP SUSPECTS OR HAS REASON TO SUSPECT THAT AN INDIVIDUAL MAY BE INVOLVED IN MONEY LAUNDERING OR OTHER TERRORIST ACTIVITIES THE DEALERSHIP MAY REPORT SUCH ACTIVITY BY CALLING THE FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS ‘HOT-LINE’ 866-556-3974 WHICH IS ALSO THE NUMBER TO CALL IF YOU FIND THAT YOUR CUSTOMERS NAME IS ON THE SDN-BLOCKED PERSONS LIST
    Hella stock member!

The wannabe dictator is back at it.

Obama Offers New Executive Actions On Gun Control

The wannabe dictator is back at it.

Obama Offers New Executive Actions On Gun Control
    39,000 requests were made by corporations to register firearms. How many of those firearms were used in the commission of a crime by a felon or someone not legally allowed to have one of these firearms? After all, that is the situation that he suggests might be remediated by this executive action item.

250,000 military firearms have been reimported since 2005 (8 years) - again, how many of those have been used in the commission of a crime by a felon or someone not legally allowed to have one of these firearms?

How many students were killed or injured by these weapons?
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

This has a VERY serious impact on NFA firearms owners. Many people, especially those that own a large collection of NFA firearms or accessories, assign a family trust as the owner. This way the firearms can be passed between generations without paying for a new tax stamp every time they are passed on.

Say I had 10 NFA firearms when I died, that is $200 per firearm or accessory that my family must pay to transfer to whoever gets them or they must be turned over to the feds for destruction. If i had a trust set up, whoever receives those weapons would simply have to send in a form to change the primary contact for the trust and the address the weapons would be stored at.

What they were asking for is really nothing. Doraville already has one that is even more fortified, and less justifiable.
    Doraville Police Department -
    Scroll down to the photo of the tracked personnel carrier, and click on it to watch the video. See if you think that the video conveys the slogan, "to protect and serve".

Now, on another note, didn't you say that you should be allowed to own a tank as part of your First Amendment rights? Why shouldn't a city be allowed to own one then? Cant' argue for one and against the other.....
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

There are already 4 of those in GA (one in your hometown Sin), a 5th is being purchased by some County in south GA (can't remember which but they talking about it on the local radio).

RN-T.com - New vehicle donated to Floyd County Police Department

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    What they were asking for is really nothing. Doraville already has one that is even more fortified, and less justifiable.
    Doraville Police Department -
    Scroll down to the photo of the tracked personnel carrier, and click on it to watch the video. See if you think that the video conveys the slogan, "to protect and serve".

Now, on another note, didn't you say that you should be allowed to own a tank as part of your First Amendment rights? Why shouldn't a city be allowed to own one then? Cant' argue for one and against the other.....
    The difference is that i'm paying for the city's "tank" and they're telling me i cant buy one of my own.

My issues with the "domestic army" amassing weapons is with how they plan to use them, not that they have them. People like me are what they view as a threat.

My favorite part in the story is how they "found" money and were going to spend it the next day. 4x256,000=1,024,000. They... just... found... it.

Not sure if it was under the cushions in the couch or not, the article wasn't clear on that.

Of course, the Democrats are at it again. If they can't ban guns they'll go the route Finland took to get rid of Ice Cream trucks... Tax them to death.

Text of H.R. 3018: Gun Violence Prevention and Safe Communities Act of 2013 (Introduced version) - GovTrack.us

It wont even make it out of committee.

I encourage the dissemination of this though. Maybe prices on firearms will go up drasticly again and I can sell my stuff for a nice profit.

It wont even make it out of committee.

I encourage the dissemination of this though. Maybe prices on firearms will go up drasticly again and I can sell my stuff for a nice profit.
    My wife has forbid the sale of any firearm in our house. Once a gun is purchased it is no longer for sale... Ever.

The interesting side effect of that is, I am more aware of what I "need" than the wants. Lacking a good 30-06 and a .22lr plinker (the wife doesn't want to use the 60 yr Winchester Model 74) and we will have a gun for any occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    My wife has forbid the sale of any firearm in our house. Once a gun is purchased it is no longer for sale... Ever.

The interesting side effect of that is, I am more aware of what I "need" than the wants. Lacking a good 30-06 and a .22lr plinker (the wife doesn't want to use the 60 yr Winchester Model 74) and we will have a gun for any occasion.
    And the true source of Echo's wisdom has been revealed.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

I have a few BB guns for home protection, only an idiot would dare enter my place or else they will get a chest full of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbow View Post
    I have a few BB guns for home protection, only an idiot would dare enter my place or else they will get a chest full of lead.
    BB guns are very effective......

And the true source of Echo's wisdom has been revealed.
    True story.

My Mexican wife has so far fulfilled her duties with respect and grace. Shame be upon the rest of her race.

Shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    True story.

My Mexican wife has so far fulfilled her duties with respect and grace. Shame be upon the rest of her race.

Shame...
    "Behind every great man, is a woman rolling her eyes"

DHS raids reporter's home citing that her husband had a resisting arrest charge in 1986 and they wanted to check and make sure there were no guns in the house.

Feds confiscate investigative reporter

"Pending criminal investigation"

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

"Pending criminal investigation"
    I'm sure whatever they do is to protect us from terrorism. Amen.

Good. I woulda fired him too.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Good. I woulda fired him too.
    Agreed. They had a no gun policy, he violated that policy on a daily basis so he was fired. Circle K was absolutely justified, and IMO had no real choice but to fire him.

I carry daily, although my company changed their gun policy last year. If caught, I could also be fired (well if they could afford to) but I don't care. They can pass all the policies they want, until my boss is working next to me in East Point at 2am... They can have whatever policy makes them feel better, I'm going to carry.

Was Circle K right in firing him? Absolutely. Was he right? Absolutely.

BTW: Being a extremely influential person in the petroleum industry years ago, Ive done work at that Circle K. I was carrying then too.

I ignore my company gun policy also. I leave it in my car though. If I'm not mistaken, .ga law protects your right to carry to work. Not inside the business, but in your car.

I ignore my company gun policy also. I leave it in my car though. If I'm not mistaken, .ga law protects your right to carry to work. Not inside the business, but in your car.
    You are correct in that, but it really is a sticky situation to find yourself in. I believe the law restricts your employer's right to search your car, or have it searched by police, but I still think you can be fired for having it against company policy.

You are correct in that, but it really is a sticky situation to find yourself in. I believe the law restricts your employer's right to search your car, or have it searched by police, but I still think you can be fired for having it against company policy.
    I would protest it in court. A company policy doesnt override constitutional rights or the law. What if the company policy said you had to work for $3 an hour and ignore safety standards?

Legally, my employer shouldnt be able to restrict me from having a gun in my car any more than they can restrict me from having a gun in my house. My car is private property, a rolling extension of my home, pulling into their parking lot does not change that.

I would protest it in court. A company policy doesnt override constitutional rights or the law. What if the company policy said you had to work for $3 an hour and ignore safety standards?

Legally, my employer shouldnt be able to restrict me from having a gun in my car any more than they can restrict me from having a gun in my house. My car is private property, a rolling extension of my home, pulling into their parking lot does not change that.
    You would lose in court also.

OCGA 16-11-135 on GeorgiaPacking.org

Like I said, your employers right to search your car is very limited, but if they do have probable cause or the firearm is in any way visible, they do have the right to take action.

You would lose in court also.

OCGA 16-11-135 on GeorgiaPacking.org

Like I said, your employers right to search your car is very limited, but if they do have probable cause or the firearm is in any way visible, they do have the right to take action.
    I dont understand how that works against me?

"k) Nothing in this Code section shall restrict the rights of private property owners"

My car is private property. A company police does not override my legal rights. Could they fire me for having a gun in my house? if they saw me carrying a gun on my day off?

You know you live in a right-to-work state right?

That link you posted said exactly what Jimmy just said. Lol

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C