Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 2190

Thread: Defend your right to own a car.

  1. #41
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    I highly doubt that as well seeing as how he doesn't live on, or near, the Marta line.
    Public transport is called Metra here. If we can save one life we need to try. The more ways the government can accommodate our lives the better right?

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,627
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Nice healthy argument you present here. I agree with most of it. Benefit vs dangers, are we judging this based on perception or stats? Statistically, only 300 people died from rifles last year, that's a pretty small margin of danger. Also, dont undervalue the benefit. A gun could save your life. Nothing is more valuable than that. Also, i stated that the government could provide us with transportation as they do in many places. The government's ability to meet our travel demands wouldnt be that much of a difference between their ability to protect us would it? Also, Obama's verbiage was " If we can save 1 life then we have to try " , i didnt say that... he did. If it's about lives.... and measured down to the importance of a single life.... then cars kill more people than guns. A life is a life no matter how it's taken. Are we saying that getting to bestbuy 15 minutes faster is more important than human life? Buses can provide transportation... sure, it would be a huge pain in the ass.... much like gun control.
    Unfortunately we don't have very many studies on gun violence, partly due to the NRA's influence, and that is part of the reason we have such strong disagreements on what is reasonable. You say not to undervalue a gun's ability to save your life but stats say that if you have a gun in your home, you are more likely to be involved in an accidental shooting than to successfully protect yourself from a home invasion. How should that be interpreted? I'm sure you could find many stats that support gun ownership. The point is, there is evidence on both sides so a reasonable debate still exists. Furthermore, stats will never make us all have the same values.

    I don't agree with Obama's gun policies but I also think you are taking that statement too literally. I think it is merely a rhetorical statement to say we need to take a strong look at what should be done to prevent these types of incidents to the extent we have control over. I don't think Obama would support banning all children even though that would certainly cut down on the number of child deaths we have every year.

  3. #43
    Certified Gearhead BenjaminJunu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    owning a car is a right!!!!! but driving it on public roads is a privilege that can be taken away from you.
    If you don't want to die driving on the street there is a easy way to solve that. don't go in street. while kids that go to school, or the movies are shot and killed.... avoidable right????
    find me the person that intentionally kills 30 children with a car.... you wont find it.
    there are hundreds of deaths using a car. where is you point here?
    there are also hundreds of deaths by people with guns. which one happens more often, intentionally?

    there are many restrictions for driving on the road and there are police officers that monitor people on the road, stopping drug trafficking. there are police officers trained to spot drunk drivers.
    Not every one is allowed to drive.

    No one can deny, weapons of all kinds are used every single day. should we ban forks and knives. what about hammers?
    just answer one question for me. what is easier. killing 30 students at a school with a gun or killing 30 students with a car?
    I am not against guns, but i certainly would love to see some restrictions and regulations.


    take our cars away, but don't take our guns.......

  4. #44
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    1927 Bath School Massacre killed 38. Killer used a truck and explosives and a single bullet.

  5. #45
    Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    In your soul
    Age
    49
    Posts
    71,805
    Rep Power
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminJunu View Post
    owning a car is a right!!!!! but driving it on public roads is a privilege that can be taken away from you.
    Owning a car is definitely not a right. It is not mandatory that you own a car. But you are right on the second half. Hence driver's licenses.

    And I honestly see no correlation to the ban cars/ban guns thing. Not even close to the same thing. While cars are used as weapons, it happens a lot less often than a shooting. A lot less, I imagine. I'm sure if using cars as weapons was that "popular," there would be more stories on it on the news.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!


  6. #46
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Between 15k-18k are killed by just drunk drivers each year. This is considered fist degree homicide by vehicle and is a felony punishable by up to twenty years.
    That's more than all gun killings.

  7. #47
    Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    In your soul
    Age
    49
    Posts
    71,805
    Rep Power
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Between 15k-18k are killed by just drunk drivers each year. This is considered fist degree homicide by vehicle and is a felony punishable by up to twenty years.
    That's more than all gun killings.
    If those number are correct, I understand your angle, but those idiots (drunk drivers) are probably not intentionally going out to kill someone. I bet the number of accidental gun shooting deaths is a lot lower than any other statistic in this conversation.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!


  8. #48
    Certified Gearhead BenjaminJunu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    1927 Bath School Massacre killed 38. Killer used a truck and explosives and a single bullet.
    and explosives.....

  9. #49
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    In Ga, if you drink and get behind the wheel and kill someone, intent is the same.

  10. #50
    Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    In your soul
    Age
    49
    Posts
    71,805
    Rep Power
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    intent is the same.
    In the eyes of the law. I'm talking about in the mind of the offender.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!


  11. #51
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminJunu View Post
    and explosives.....
    Read up and study.
    Those who wish to kill will - you have to stop the intent. Banning tools does nothing.

  12. #52
    Certified Gearhead BenjaminJunu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Between 15k-18k are killed by just drunk drivers each year. This is considered fist degree homicide by vehicle and is a felony punishable by up to twenty years.
    That's more than all gun killings.
    you're completely right on that. That's just another one of america's problems. Almost any idiot can get a drivers license, it should be much harder and more expensive to get a drivers license.

  13. #53
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    In the eyes of the law. I'm talking about in the mind of the offender.
    Mental state is being ignored for gun killings, but you want to use it if it is a car killing? Intentional impairment does not excuse behavior.

  14. #54
    Certified Gearhead BenjaminJunu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Read up and study.
    Those who wish to kill will - you have to stop the intent. Banning tools does nothing.
    Banning tools will do nothing, and no matter how hard we try we will never stop murders, and deaths. It's always going to happens. Guns or not. I'm just saying Guns should be regulated.

  15. #55
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminJunu View Post
    you're completely right on that. That's just another one of america's problems. Almost any idiot can get a drivers license, it should be much harder and more expensive to get a drivers license.
    This is an issue that individual states regulate, not the federal government. It is not a Constitutionally protected right either.
    Your method of recourse is through your state courts and legislature, not Congress.

  16. #56
    Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    In your soul
    Age
    49
    Posts
    71,805
    Rep Power
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Mental state is being ignored for gun killings, but you want to use it if it is a car killing? Intentional impairment does not excuse behavior.
    Believe me when I say I wouldn't stand up for a drunk driver at any cost. I have no problems with any of the harshest punishments given to them. But I doubt that a lot of drunk drivers don't intentionally go get drunk so they can drive and kill someone. If they do, they should get the toughest punishments. I think you're trying to go in deeper than it really needs to be. I'll just say that I've never heard of a drunk driver saying that he's going to get drunk and drive so he can slaughter someone. Even if the person is inebriated, I doubt their intent is to kill.

    I don't think mental state should be ignored for gun killings. You pick up a gun and shoot and kill, then you still deserve the harshest of punishments.

    No need to put words on my monitor, man.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!


  17. #57
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminJunu View Post
    Banning tools will do nothing, and no matter how hard we try we will never stop murders, and deaths. It's always going to happens. Guns or not. I'm just saying Guns should be regulated.
    They are currently regulated. Criminals do not follow the law though. Passing new laws that will only impact legal owners is not rational.
    There is a different thread for guns. This is cars.
    We could save lives by reducing the amount of drivers on the road. Why is that not a proposal or on the news every night?

  18. #58
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    Believe me when I say I wouldn't stand up for a drunk driver at any cost. I have no problems with any of the harshest punishments given to them. But I doubt that a lot of drunk drivers don't intentionally go get drunk so they can drive and kill someone. If they do, they should get the toughest punishments. I think you're trying to go in deeper than it really needs to be. I'll just say that I've never heard of a drunk driver saying that he's going to get drunk and drive so he can slaughter someone. Even if the person is inebriated, I doubt their intent is to kill.

    I don't think mental state should be ignored for gun killings. You pick up a gun and shoot and kill, then you still deserve the harshest of punishments.

    No need to put words on my monitor, man.
    So, how do we know what was going on in the Newtown shooters mind as he was pulling the trigger?
    Killing by car, gun, knife, rock, fist, etc is still killing.

  19. #59
    Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    In your soul
    Age
    49
    Posts
    71,805
    Rep Power
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    So, how do we know what was going on in the Newtown shooters mind as he was pulling the trigger?
    We don't. And I don't care. If he hadn't have died, I would've loved for him to be given the book. This is what I do like about the Aurora situation. They got the guy. I hope they throw him to the wolves. I hate it when killers "get away" with their crimes buy killing themselves before they get caught.

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Killing by car, gun, knife, rock, fist, etc is still killing.
    I didn't say it wasn't. You're putting implications that aren't there in my posts.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!


  20. #60
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    We don't. And I don't care. If he hadn't have died, I would've loved for him to be given the book. This is what I do like about the Aurora situation. They got the guy. I hope they throw him to the wolves. I hate it when killers "get away" with their crimes buy killing themselves before they get caught.



    I didn't say it wasn't. You're putting implications that aren't there in my posts.
    We agree on Aurora and other killings.
    I'm not trying to imply you are saying differently.

    One for the othe folks.
    Remember the Isla Vista massacre? Intentional mass killing by car.

    Common thread of all of these killings? All had mental health issues.

  21. #61
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Common thread of all of these killings? All had mental health issues.
    Not necessarily

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  22. #62
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Not necessarily
    What do you know that the experts don't? Back up your statements.

  23. #63
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    What do you know that the experts don't? Back up your statements.
    As someone studying in the field of psychology, I can assure you that most of the experts will tell you that generally anyone who kills another human being, without first a clear definition of "mental health issues" doesnt exactly have mental health issues. If a disregard for human life is somehow a new qualifier for "crazy", I can stuff A LOT of people in that category.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  24. #64
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Mental illness is just another scapegoat for gun violence. There's no clear way to tell who is more prone to violent behavior and there's no real evidence that suggests mentally ill people commit gun violence at a greater rate than the general population. I personally know clinically mentally unstable people who wouldn't hurt a fly, clinical psychopaths and sociopaths who are no more prone to violence than anyone else, and otherwise normal people who I would have to keep an eye on if someone pissed them off the right way.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  25. #65
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Mental illness is just another scapegoat for gun violence. There's no clear way to tell who is more prone to violent behavior and there's no real evidence that suggests mentally ill people commit gun violence at a greater rate than the general population. I personally know clinically mentally unstable people who wouldn't hurt a fly, clinical psychopaths and sociopaths who are no more prone to violence than anyone else, and otherwise normal people who I would have to keep an eye on if someone pissed them off the right way.
    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    As someone studying in the field of psychology, I can assure you that most of the experts will tell you that generally anyone who kills another human being, without first a clear definition of "mental health issues" doesnt exactly have mental health issues. If a disregard for human life is somehow a new qualifier for "crazy", I can stuff A LOT of people in that category.
    Let me see if I understand you correctly.
    You take Pschology 101 or some lectures, and have not studied any of these cases that I clearly pointed out, have not met with any of the individuals, have not reviewed any of their profiles, but you know more about these cases than the professionals that have actually studied these cases?
    Is that correct? Because I gave specific instances in this thread, and you came back with a general vague statement, essentially using yourself and your own personal background as your basis for an opinion going against professional psychologists. You might want to get checked for Narcissistic Personality Disorder, if that is the case.

    Newtown - Adama Lanza
    Adam’s uncle said he was taking an anti-psychotic drug called Fanapt.Fanapt can cause suicidal thoughts and affect judgment according to product warnings by drug manufacturer Novartis.
    He was evidently bad enough that his mother was taking him to a psychatrist, and the Huffington Post reported that she was seeking to have him committed.

    Aurora Massacre - James Holmes (student at University of CA, Riverside and University of CO, Denver)
    Holmes' defense attorneys claimed in a motion he was a "psychiatric patient" of the medical director of Anschutz's Student Mental Health Services prior to the Aurora shooting. CBS News reported that Holmes met with at least three mental health professionals at the University of Colorado prior to the massacre. Two weeks before the shooting, he sent a text message asking a graduate student if they had heard of the disorder dysphoric mania, and warning the student to stay away from him "because I am bad news."
    His psychatrist is Dr. Lynne Fenton, and she is being sued by one of the widows.
    Aurora widow sues James Holmes

    Isla Vista Massacre - David Attias (student at University of CA, Santa Barbara)
    Fact: He Was found legally insane and to have bipolar disorder.
    David Attias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Isla Vista Car Massacre: Ten Years Later The Santa Barbara Independent
    The Latest : Insane driver who killed four in Isla Vista massacre could be set free following hearing | 89.3 KPCC

    Susan Smith - Smith's defense psychiatrist diagnosed her with dependent personality disorder.

    You really want to claim that mental illmess is just a scapegoat in these specific cases?

    Oh, and you never did back up your statement about cars being a technical right either. Par for the course it seems...
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

  26. #66
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Let me see if I understand you correctly.
    You take Pschology 101 or some lectures, and have not studied any of these cases that I clearly pointed out, have not met with any of the individuals, have not reviewed any of their profiles, but you know more about these cases than the professionals that have actually studied these cases?
    Is that correct? Because I gave specific instances in this thread, and you came back with a general vague statement, essentially using yourself and your own personal background as your basis for an opinion going against professional psychologists. You might want to get checked for Narcissistic Personality Disorder, if that is the case.

    Newtown - Adama Lanza
    Adam’s uncle said he was taking an anti-psychotic drug called Fanapt.Fanapt can cause suicidal thoughts and affect judgment according to product warnings by drug manufacturer Novartis.
    He was evidently bad enough that his mother was taking him to a psychatrist, and the Huffington Post reported that she was seeking to have him committed.

    Aurora Massacre - James Holmes (student at University of CA, Riverside and University of CO, Denver)
    Holmes' defense attorneys claimed in a motion he was a "psychiatric patient" of the medical director of Anschutz's Student Mental Health Services prior to the Aurora shooting. CBS News reported that Holmes met with at least three mental health professionals at the University of Colorado prior to the massacre. Two weeks before the shooting, he sent a text message asking a graduate student if they had heard of the disorder dysphoric mania, and warning the student to stay away from him "because I am bad news."
    His psychatrist is Dr. Lynne Fenton, and she is being sued by one of the widows.
    Aurora widow sues James Holmes

    Isla Vista Massacre - David Attias (student at University of CA, Santa Barbara)
    Fact: He Was found legally insane and to have bipolar disorder.
    David Attias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Isla Vista Car Massacre: Ten Years Later The Santa Barbara Independent
    The Latest : Insane driver who killed four in Isla Vista massacre could be set free following hearing | 89.3 KPCC

    Susan Smith - Smith's defense psychiatrist diagnosed her with dependent personality disorder.

    You really want to claim that mental illmess is just a scapegoat in these specific cases?
    You've referenced three cases of people who were diagnosed mentally Ill prior to committing a crime, (the jury is still out on Mr. Holmes),out of how many cases of gun violence, per year?

    In the scientific world, we call that inconclusive evidence. Thank you for playing.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  27. #67
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quick research shows that its speculative that Mr. Lanza may have been autistic, which is a developmental disorder, and not a mental illness.

    However, I can't find a reliable source that confirms he was taking any SSRI's. Only autopsy report will confirm or deny that, not what some distant family member thinks she saw him taking

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  28. #68
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    You've referenced three cases of people who were diagnosed mentally Ill prior to committing a crime, (the jury is still out on Mr. Holmes),out of how many cases of gun violence, per year?

    In the scientific world, we call that inconclusive evidence. Thank you for playing.


    What on earth are you talking about? I gave specific cases earlier in this thread, and you claimed, "Not necessarily."
    I asked you to address these specifically, and once again, you failed to back up your statements. That's twice in this thread alone.

    I've given you specifics, and you muddle around with vague generalities. I never stated anything even remotely similar to "All gun violence comes from mental health issues" or anything even remotely similar to any such statement - that is all of your own ramblings and inferences.

    You're not a scientist or a psychologist. You're a person who lacks the ability to read and comprehend what is plainly in front of you.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

  29. #69
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    I just broke your common thread for you.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  30. #70
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    Quick research shows that its speculative that Mr. Lanza may have been autistic, which is a developmental disorder, and not a mental illness.

    However, I can't find a reliable source that confirms he was taking any SSRI's. Only autopsy report will confirm or deny that, not what some distant family member thinks she saw him taking
    You mean that you typed, "Adam Lanza" in Google, and that is the basis of your research into your expert psychological statement that we should value over people that actually are involved in this specific case.

    So, your expert opinion is that he did not have any mental illness, and just woke up one day and decided to go kill a bunch of kids? Not crazy at all, right?
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

  31. #71
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    I just broke your common thread for you.
    You broke nothing. You have no basis for any of your statements.
    I'm out for tonight. When you come up with something other than your expert opinion, let us know.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

  32. #72
    magical negro/photog .blank cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    12,103
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    You mean that you typed, "Adam Lanza" in Google, and that is the basis of your research into your expert psychological statement that we should value over people that actually are involved in this specific case.

    So, your expert opinion is that he did not have any mental illness, and just woke up one day and decided to go kill a bunch of kids? Not crazy at all, right?
    I'm concluding that you don't know what you're talking about and that zero "experts" have confirmed anything you're saying. Out of 4 of your referenced cases, 1 was declared unfit to stand trial, and two had legitimate mental illnesses. You use this false premise to make a poor case about how mental illness is the problem, when its really not that big of an issue. What you think being "crazy" and "mentally ill" means is irrelevant and really not medically accurate. If I sat down and really delved into it, I'd blow your whole argument apart like I do so regularly. But I'm not because I just don't care and would rather watch you make an ignorant fool out of yourself because its fun.

    NIKON Squad member 01

    I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

  33. #73
    Senior Member | IA Veteran Sinfix_15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,435
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    Unfortunately we don't have very many studies on gun violence, partly due to the NRA's influence, and that is part of the reason we have such strong disagreements on what is reasonable. You say not to undervalue a gun's ability to save your life but stats say that if you have a gun in your home, you are more likely to be involved in an accidental shooting than to successfully protect yourself from a home invasion. How should that be interpreted? I'm sure you could find many stats that support gun ownership. The point is, there is evidence on both sides so a reasonable debate still exists. Furthermore, stats will never make us all have the same values.

    I don't agree with Obama's gun policies but I also think you are taking that statement too literally. I think it is merely a rhetorical statement to say we need to take a strong look at what should be done to prevent these types of incidents to the extent we have control over. I don't think Obama would support banning all children even though that would certainly cut down on the number of child deaths we have every year.
    I dont think a study on gun violence is that important. Would i oppose studies on gun violence? right now i oppose any and everything even remotely negative towards gun ownership because i feel like the left is waiting to pounce on the first opportunity they get to sway public opinion on gun control. I feel criminal psychology covers guns violence. A gun is a tool... like a hammer, that can be used to do lawful or unlawful things. Putting a gun in my hand doesnt coerce me into being a criminal. The problem with stats is that you can cherry pick them to say whatever you want them to say. That is what makes Obama's verbiage even more offensive. He reveals what he WANTS to say/do, and the stats that follow are nothing more than him trying to decide his approach. If the political winds shifted in the right direction tomorrow, Obama would sign gun control so fast his pen would burn a hole in the paper. The reason there is a political war going on over this topic.... is because there is a political war going on over this topic. Both sides stand fit for battle.... the only difference in Obama and the NRA is that Obama is still pandering to an audience that feels like he's a victim. As much as he wants to put his foot up the NRA's ass, he has to somewhat maintain his persona.

    The true brilliance of the ideas that our nation was founded on shines through when i look back and realize that every proposal you can make regarding gun control has already been answered.. back in 1787. The words are very clear and very precise. They were constructed with times like this in mind. If Obama or any other politician actually wants to make the world a safer place, theyre going to have to work WITH gun owners and accept the reality that a gun free america will NEVER exist. Any effort towards seeking it is wasted effort, wasted time, wasted tax money. If there was ever a time to "agree to disagree", that time would be when the other party is 100 million people who own guns.

    "The greatest form of inequality is when you try to make unequal things equal"

  34. #74
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    I'm concluding that you don't know what you're talking about and that zero "experts" have confirmed anything you're saying. Out of 4 of your referenced cases, 1 was declared unfit to stand trial, and two had legitimate mental illnesses. You use this false premise to make a poor case about how mental illness is the problem, when its really not that big of an issue. What you think being "crazy" and "mentally ill" means is irrelevant and really not medically accurate. If I sat down and really delved into it, I'd blow your whole argument apart like I do so regularly. But I'm not because I just don't care and would rather watch you make an ignorant fool out of yourself because its fun.
    Once again, you provide nothing of factual basis for your personal opinion, and you expect to be considered knowledgeable. What a joke.
    I have provided facts, not my opinion, but the opinions of professional psychologists.
    You prefer your own opinion to those who actually knew the people involved and professionals who studied these cases. I don't believe that I have met anyone that is so clueless as you.

    In the cases that I showed in this thread, all are considered mental health issues. I never made any claim that all violence is due to mental health issues. Your repeated statements implying that I am at that position shows that you are unable to read and comprehend a simple statement.

    The ME that actually examined Adam Lanza has stated that he had no tumors and that he does not expect the genetic or toxicology reports to show any reason for this shooting.

    I suppose that you know better than Nancy Jackson and the other professionals that agree that he had some sort of disorder, since you have spent all of 10 minutes with Google on the subject.

    Maybe you should follow the NY Daily: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...sEnabled=false

    You are a joke and everyone is laughing at you.
    Last edited by David88vert; 01-22-2013 at 07:00 AM.

  35. #75
    Senior Member E36slide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    2,579
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    This whole thread is personal opinion. People choose to shoot other people not because their crazy. I know a lot of kids who have killed people just because they thought it was cool and they were trying to fit in. So that makes them mentally ill ? I think it just means they were poorly raised and stupid. You are a product of your environment. People who grow up around violence are more prone to be violent. People use "clinically insane/ill" to get out of the death penalty. So they act all crazy because that's what their told to do by their lawyer (I've seen half of this first hand being I've seen all types of crazy people in jail). I'm not saying it isn't possible for mentally ill people to kill someone but its deff a small percentage of gun violence. A good bit of shootings are accidental. I love reading you smart people's arguments. Y'all try so hard to one up each other...try using common sense when researching. Common sense says a person in rage and posses a forearm means to hurt you this doesn't mean their mentally ill it means they were overly pissed. I'm sure half of you have been so angry with someone you could have shot them if you had your gun on you.




    Sent from my mind
    <3 Catnipples

  36. #76
    Senior Member E36slide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    2,579
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    Almost every car crash fatality happens with a licensed driver. We dont need cars capable of inflicting the carnage that they do. We dont need cars that go the speeds that they go. I understand that racing is part of our history and something that you enjoy..... but race cars are dangerous. With these cars being made available to the public there's no way of keeping them away from people who intend to abuse them. If 1 life can be saved, then it needs to be done.
    You're being hypocritical. There is no way you can sit there and say you have never driven a very fast car fast on public roads.. If you have then you shouldn't be able to drive at all. Where was your test for mental illnesses to drive a vehicle ? You have boasted about crushing people from digs in your sr powered beast. You are a danger to all who drive on the roads. So is everyone in this car forum. We all drive above the speed limit, we all want stupid fast cars that's just life. Giving people a test to make sure their capable of driving is dumb (mental tests at least). Most accidents are from common error "drink falls in lap instead of pulling over you bend over to pick it up while swerving into on common traffic boooooom head on collision" before you obtain your license you have to go through two tests. I'm sure the inspector could tell if the person they are testing has some type of disorder that would impact their driving ability.


    I could kill you in a geo metro just as I could in a lambo.


    Sent from my mind
    <3 Catnipples

  37. #77
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by E36slide View Post
    This whole thread is personal opinion. People choose to shoot other people not because their crazy. I know a lot of kids who have killed people just because they thought it was cool and they were trying to fit in. So that makes them mentally ill ? I think it just means they were poorly raised and stupid. You are a product of your environment. People who grow up around violence are more prone to be violent. People use "clinically insane/ill" to get out of the death penalty. So they act all crazy because that's what their told to do by their lawyer (I've seen half of this first hand being I've seen all types of crazy people in jail). I'm not saying it isn't possible for mentally ill people to kill someone but its deff a small percentage of gun violence. A good bit of shootings are accidental. I love reading you smart people's arguments. Y'all try so hard to one up each other...try using common sense when researching. Common sense says a person in rage and posses a forearm means to hurt you this doesn't mean their mentally ill it means they were overly pissed. I'm sure half of you have been so angry with someone you could have shot them if you had your gun on you.
    No one is claiming that all people with mental health issues are violent. Or even that they are the majority.
    No one is claiming that all violence comes from people with mental health issues. Or even that they are the majority.
    Specific cases are being discussed - that's all.

    Published opinions from trained, certified professional psychologists should have more credibility that someone who has sat in on a couple of lectures and hasn't studied the cases at all, right?

    People without mental health issues make bad judgment calls all the time. These people generally end up in jail, and perhaps even kill a couple of people. What we don't typically see is a sane person making a bad judgement call and specifically blasting their way into an elementary school and executing a bunch of first graders.



    Quote Originally Posted by E36slide View Post
    You're being hypocritical. There is no way you can sit there and say you have never driven a very fast car fast on public roads.. If you have then you shouldn't be able to drive at all. Where was your test for mental illnesses to drive a vehicle ? You have boasted about crushing people from digs in your sr powered beast. You are a danger to all who drive on the roads. So is everyone in this car forum. We all drive above the speed limit, we all want stupid fast cars that's just life. Giving people a test to make sure their capable of driving is dumb (mental tests at least). Most accidents are from common error "drink falls in lap instead of pulling over you bend over to pick it up while swerving into on common traffic boooooom head on collision" before you obtain your license you have to go through two tests. I'm sure the inspector could tell if the person they are testing has some type of disorder that would impact their driving ability.
    I could kill you in a geo metro just as I could in a lambo.
    You do realize that a lot of what is posted in this thread is simply to provoke though, don't you?
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

  38. #78
    Senior Member E36slide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    2,579
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    No one is claiming that all people with mental health issues are violent. Or even that they are the majority.
    No one is claiming that all violence comes from people with mental health issues. Or even that they are the majority.
    Specific cases are being discussed - that's all.

    Published opinions from trained, certified professional psychologists should have more credibility that someone who has sat in on a couple of lectures and hasn't studied the cases at all, right?

    People without mental health issues make bad judgment calls all the time. These people generally end up in jail, and perhaps even kill a couple of people. What we don't typically see is a sane person making a bad judgement call and specifically blasting their way into an elementary school and executing a bunch of first graders.





    You do realize that a lot of what is posted in this thread is simply to provoke though, don't you?
    Just because you have a degree doesn't make you an expert on how a person thinks. Everyone is different.. Have you ever talked to someone who has murdered another person ? I have. A bunch actually. Sane people can snap just like a crazy person can snap. My roommate in jail beat his grandma to death with a hammer because she wouldn't give him money for drugs. From just meeting him he seemed like a very nice guy. Nothing seemed crazy about him until I found out what he did to get into jail. Y'all are referencing cases but haven't actually met these people or been i their situation so how would it be useful for your argument. Are y'all just arguing for fun or something ?


    And I know most of sin fix's post are just a way to stir up a pointless lecture/argument.


    Sent from my mind
    <3 Catnipples

  39. #79
    Slowest Car on IA David88vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Johns Creek
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by E36slide View Post
    Just because you have a degree doesn't make you an expert on how a person thinks. Everyone is different.. Have you ever talked to someone who has murdered another person ? I have. A bunch actually. Sane people can snap just like a crazy person can snap. My roommate in jail beat his grandma to death with a hammer because she wouldn't give him money for drugs. From just meeting him he seemed like a very nice guy. Nothing seemed crazy about him until I found out what he did to get into jail. Y'all are referencing cases but haven't actually met these people or been i their situation so how would it be useful for your argument. Are y'all just arguing for fun or something ?


    And I know most of sin fix's post are just a way to stir up a pointless lecture/argument.


    Sent from my mind
    You have no clue about who I know or have known.
    You spent a tiny amount of time in a county jail. Spend some time with some people who lived behind the wall at Jackson for awhile.

  40. #80
    Senior Member E36slide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    2,579
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    You have no clue about who I know or have known.
    You spent a tiny amount of time in a county jail. Spend some time with some people who lived behind the wall at Jackson for awhile.
    A year and a half is hardly a short time. I've met many people from Jackson. They all said Gwinnett county jail was worse. I never said you didn't thAts why I asked if you have...a question mark usually implies a question I wasn't assuming you haven't.


    Sent from my mind
    <3 Catnipples

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ImportAtlanta is a community of gearheads and car enthusiasts. It does not matter what kind of car or bike you drive, IA is an open community for any gearhead. Whether you're looking for advice on a performance build or posting your wheels for sale, you're welcome here!
Announcement
Welcome back to ImportAtlanta. We are currently undergoing many changes, so please report any issues you encounter with the site using the 'Contact Us' button below. Thank you!