Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Presidential Debate #1 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    None of them are CURRENTLY trying to be president, and if you look again, you'll see I removed Kerry from your quote. ;-)

I referenced exactly how they came to the UE numbers they posted, in the other thread.

US jobless rate falls to 7.8 pct., 44-month low

This says they ran a poll of Americans pretty much asking them if they had a job or not, with a pretty significant sample size. As long as they are consistent with their data collection method and data comparisons (I.e. they used the same method throughout the term) then I see no problem in using that figure as a reference.

That is a very small amount of people to sample compared to the number of people in the US. Its a much smaller percentage than the economist poll that IA Obama supporters wanted to ignore. Seems that Obama supporters have a lot of difficulty holding everyone to the same standards yet they want to claim that they are looking for fairness all the time.

As to the numbers I suspect that they are correct. Plenty of people that used to have high paying full time jobs have been forced to take part time low pay jobs to survive and the reports have noted that for quite a while.

If you understand anything about the numbers all it shows is that
    A) people are leaving the work force and not being counted
    B) people are taking part time work instead of full time
    C) the UE number reported is correct, but only because the way to lower the number is to eliminate the size of the people looking for jobs

114000 jobs is anemic, you have to have 250k to keep up with population growth. ALl sectors are DOWN, manufacturing, consumer spending, confidence, etc
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Public Enemy #1

Some people in this thread need to read Stanley/Dunlops "Millionaire Next Door" you might get a better understanding of why rich people are rich. It will explain why people who make millions a year only pay 10-15% in Tax, yet people who make $50k a year pay 23%.

Public Enemy #1

To help with one key phrase that sums everything up.... "Non-Taxable Income."

To the OP, the non-verbal cues throughout the debate was owned by Romney. Pres. Obama was intimidated like crazy.

Afterwards, I asked myself, "If I were black, would I be so overwhelmingly sold out to the POTUS that I could not vote for anyone else?" That's when I found this video on YouTube. Interesting point of view.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    None of these people are trying to be president either. And Immelt is not the greatest example. Lol.
    So, even though Romney's tax practices are legal, we're digging into this issue for the sole purpose of saying Romney is a bad guy, but Obama spending half of his life listening to Jeramiah Wright says nothing about his character?

Quote Originally Posted by MachNU View Post
    yet people who make $50k a year pay 23%.
    The people paying 23% are idiots. As I have said many times, I pay about 8% on over 110k in income.

I guess I am another of the evil people depriving the govt of their hard earned money.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    The people paying 23% are idiots. As I have said many times, I pay about 8% on over 110k in income.

I guess I am another of the evil people depriving the govt of their hard earned money.
    I get what you're saying, but having had years where I earned median income levels (or less), there is no point to itemizing taxes when you make that little. 1040ez form and you were done. Didn't make enough to justify an accountant, didn't have investments or anything other than the paycheck I lived week to week on. Which is all part of the grand scheme, make it hard and complicated (tax code is only 78,000 pages) and the sheeple will do what is easy and not question it. I cringe every time I hear people talk about how much money they are "getting back" come tax time. The "middle class" are societies worker bees, and yes we live in a country where anything is possible... Doesn't mean everybody can, will or (to a lesser extent) need to move up.

However, I have yet to hear a persuasive argument on how taxing the "rich" more helps anyone in the middle/lower class. Does it make the poor guy "feel" better knowing that "evil rich guy is getting screwed"? Did that make the poor guy's life any better? As it's been said ad nauseam... Our government has a spending problem, doesn't matter if a Democrat or Republican is in charge.

I have a budget for my household, why doesn't my government?

This is how I see Romney's lower taxes less loopholes gimmick actually working.

The people that are making millions wont be affected either way. Most are making a large portion of that income from investments anyways.

If I am paying 40% of my income in taxes, I am going to spend the time and money to get every deduction and slip through every loophole I can. Drop the rate to something I believe is more fair, I am going to spend a lot less time and money shielding my cash.

In the end, I may pay a higher taxes because of less planning simply because of the lower rate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Public Enemy #1

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post

You understand non-taxable income. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MachNU View Post
    You understand non-taxable income. lol
    I understand making as much of my money non-taxable as possible.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123