Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this piss you off?

Default Does this piss you off?

Pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me.

A Michigan woman who won a $1-million lottery jackpot last fall admits she's continued to collect $200 a month in public assistance. That's not all: The 24-year-old also says she deserves the financial aid because she's now saddled with expenses related to two houses.

Can you hear that bellowing and clanging of pitchforks? That's the sound of Michigan taxpayers' outrage.

The situation came to light this week after the Detroit-area Local 4 station
    received a hot tip
    : "Please do a story on lottery winners on welfare."

Local 4 did just that. First, it tracked Amanda Clayton using her public assistance card at a local snack market. Then, it tracked Clayton out to her home, where she was packing up a U-Haul for a move to her new place -- a home she had bought with cash from her lottery earnings, along with a new car.

Clayton, stopped in her driveway, barely flinched when the camera and microphone were thrust in her face. Nor did the single mother of two backpedal; she said she deserves the extra income just like any other taxpayer on public assistance.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought maybe it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton told the reporter. "I feel that it's OK because, I mean, I have no income, and I have bills to pay. I have two houses."

Watch the video -- she also quibbles with the reporter who wonders how she can justify taking public aid after winning $1 million on the state's "Make Me Rich!" television show. After taking the lottery payment in a lump sum and paying taxes upfront, she walked away with much less. (Clayton's mother told the media her daughter pocketed about $500,000.)

It's not clear that Clayton is actually doing anything wrong, mind you. She does not have a job, and as a result, does not technically have any income.

But the idea of a lottery winner on welfare does not sit well with Michigan state Rep. Dale Zorn.

The Republican lawmaker has introduced legislation, now pending, that would trigger a state notification whenever a resident wins more than $1,000 in the lottery. He authored that legislation after it was discovered that another Michigan resident, Leroy Fick, continued drawing public assistance after winning a $2-million lottery jackpot in 2010.

The problem, Zorn told The Times on Wednesday, is that many lottery winners opt to take their earnings in a lump sum and pay their taxes upfront. That helps them to largely fly under the radar.

Under Zorn's pending legislation, lottery officials would be required to alert the state's Department of Human Services, which oversees public assistance, whenever a state resident wins more than $1,000.

The winner's name would then be checked against the state's roster of financial aid recipients. Winners would be required to undergo a reassessment to see if they still deserve aid after their financial windfall, he said.

"Public assistance is for those people who can no longer purchase food for their families, or pay their heating bills," Zorn told The Times. "It's not here to help those who win millions of dollars."

For her part, Clayton is no longer talking to the media. But her mother is.

"Until the bill's passed, apparently it's legal, and people need to leave her alone," Euline Clayton toldthe Detroit News, referring to Zorn's bill. "I'm not saying it's the right thing to do. But it's nobody's business if she's not breaking the law."
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,3643323.story

that's fukin ignorant!!!!!!!!!! joker lookin bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

And she in her mind actually thinks she deserves a free damn handout still, that just blows me away.
    Brett (One of the true OG's, No really... ask anyone)
    '15 Chevy SS
    '16 K7 SXL SWP

www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

R.I.P Leisa, You are never forgotten - 10/7/08

It pisses me off. Kinda like how Romney only pays 14% on his income taxes. Both of them are following the law but it's still ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    It pisses me off. Kinda like how Romney only pays 14% on his income taxes. Both of them are following the law but it's still ridiculous.
    This. One million times this.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

People always trying to scam the system
    '15 Chevy SS
    '16 K7 SXL SWP

oh...they aren't trying, they obviously are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    How about those that pay none, or are net tax consumers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    oh...they aren't trying, they obviously are.
    TRUTH
    '15 Chevy SS
    '16 K7 SXL SWP

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    How about those that pay none, or are net tax consumers?
    There are ZERO people who are net tax consumers in the U.S., unless you can manage to escape paying sales tax on anything you buy ever. Nice try though.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

This is exactly why we should go to the Flat Tax system, then everyone would have to pay their share, Illegally here or not, you'd have to pay it.
    '15 Chevy SS
    '16 K7 SXL SWP

There are ZERO people who are net tax consumers in the U.S., unless you can manage to escape paying sales tax on anything you buy ever. Nice try though.
    lol, ok. I'm not going to turn this into a political argument about taxes. Point of the thread was I can't stand mooching assholes. There's no reason that female should receive a single penny of assistance from anyone.

lol, ok. I'm not going to turn this into a political argument about taxes. Point of the thread was I can't stand mooching assholes. There's no reason that female should receive a single penny of assistance from anyone.
    Then why keep spreading false info?

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Then why keep spreading false info?
    Go start a thread about taxes in the political section if you want to talk about that. I'm done with it here.

Yep saw this the other day in the news wish i knew someone in her area that could kick her ass.....She will get whats coming to her in then end karma is a bitch!

Go start a thread about taxes in the political section if you want to talk about that. I'm done with it here.

I already did

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/...y-Avoids-Taxes

Multi-this

CHASE ->>>
    WHAT MATTERS

And to prove how informed you are, you dont even know what type of taxes Romney pays.

I'll give you a hint, it isnt income taxes because he didnt have any earned income.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    And to prove how informed you are, you dont even know what type of taxes Romney pays.

I'll give you a hint, it isnt income taxes because he didnt have any earned income.
    You might as well quit wasting your time.

Half true. It's capital gains tax, but it's still his income.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

Half true. It's capital gains tax, but it's still his income.
    Income nonetheless, which should incur the same tax we all incur in our respective states. Which apparently, we all already argued about.

CHASE ->>>
    WHAT MATTERS

I guess I'll jump back in since it seems to be where this thread is headed.

Quote Originally Posted by blaknoize View Post
    Income nonetheless, which should incur the same tax we all incur in our respective states. Which apparently, we all already argued about.
    So then why shouldn't everyone pay the same percent of tax, top to bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by blaknoize View Post
    Then I want the 0% income tax rate too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LOL @ "I thought it was okay because I have no income. I have bills to pay. I've got two houses now." Dumb cunt

People like her deserve a bullet to the head. Sorry. Her kids will grow up with the same ignorant mindset.

This story and the one of the illegal who will be collecting his $750k lottery winnings here in GA. What part of ILLEGAL do people not understand? For fuck's sake. What is the point of having laws if they can be challenged and over ruled? I hate people.
    02' Miata

Damned if you do damned if you dont

I'd like to pay 0% and be subsidized for being poor.

Kthxbai
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Lol did you really say sales tax? Everyone pays sales tax even Romney.

You want to compare income to capital gains, and income to sales tax? Are you retarded ......
    -www.usedbarcode.net

I never post on here but I had to respond to this. You can easily not pay sales tax, live in a state that doesn't have sales tax and don't travel.

Yes, it is possible to pay no taxes or to be a tax consumer in the US.

First, not all states have sales tax. Second, not all states have income tax.

If you live in a state with no sales tax, you can have a low income, get EIC and have no taxable income at the state or federal level. The EIC can be up to and even over $5,000, which is more than you could possibly pay in mandatory Social Security and Medicare taxes. Those are taxes no one can get out of. If you make the absolute maximum salary to receive EIC, you will pay $3,845 in SS and Med taxes (at the regular, not currently reduced rates) but you'll receive EIC of $5,891. So you've paid no sales tax, have 0% effective tax rate, you paid SS and Med but you received EIC of more than what you paid. The bottom line is if you live in a state with no sales tax and have a low income, it's not that unusual to pay very little or no tax at all. Most very low income people are not homeowners, so they don't pay tax on their dwelling, not all states impose excise tax on vehicles. If you want to get technical, you can attribute the property tax on their home to them since they are indirectly paying it by paying rent, but it's not like a person with a $20K per year income is in a home with a high property tax bill.

If you live in a state with no income tax, it all depends on how much of your income you spend on taxable goods. Since most people with lower income spend a higher percentage of their pay on non-taxed housing expenses, they pay easily end up paying no or very little net taxes when all federal, state and local taxes are considered.

As for the actual topic at hand, the girl in this story is a moron. She's entitled trash. But... I'm not worried about it. That money will all be gone soon. A fool and his (her) money are easily parted. She'll pump some money back into businesses and be right back where she started.
    2005 Mazdaspeed MX-5 -1.8L Turbo

Poor people paying taxes is hardly the issue. The issue is that people who have just come into wealth whether through inheritance or lottery winnings, shouldn't receive financial aid from the government. BUT, with that said in the grand scheme of things situations like this are so far and few it doesn't really matter.

The government needs to cut politicians' pay, keep taxes the same, reform welfare to get ppl to get off their ass and get a job, eliminate social security right now and switch over to personal retirement accounts that get aggregated and invested, and reform medicaid and medicare which are huge money pits.
    Last edited by RL...; 03-09-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Obama voter!!!! All they do is take take take. There's no goods come out of Obama voter.
    My name is Austin and I approve this ^^^^ comment.

Quote Originally Posted by JennB View Post
    I never post on here but I had to respond to this. You can easily not pay sales tax, live in a state that doesn't have sales tax and don't travel.

Yes, it is possible to pay no taxes or to be a tax consumer in the US.

First, not all states have sales tax. Second, not all states have income tax.

If you live in a state with no sales tax, you can have a low income, get EIC and have no taxable income at the state or federal level. The EIC can be up to and even over $5,000, which is more than you could possibly pay in mandatory Social Security and Medicare taxes. Those are taxes no one can get out of. If you make the absolute maximum salary to receive EIC, you will pay $3,845 in SS and Med taxes (at the regular, not currently reduced rates) but you'll receive EIC of $5,891. So you've paid no sales tax, have 0% effective tax rate, you paid SS and Med but you received EIC of more than what you paid. The bottom line is if you live in a state with no sales tax and have a low income, it's not that unusual to pay very little or no tax at all. Most very low income people are not homeowners, so they don't pay tax on their dwelling, not all states impose excise tax on vehicles. If you want to get technical, you can attribute the property tax on their home to them since they are indirectly paying it by paying rent, but it's not like a person with a $20K per year income is in a home with a high property tax bill.

If you live in a state with no income tax, it all depends on how much of your income you spend on taxable goods. Since most people with lower income spend a higher percentage of their pay on non-taxed housing expenses, they pay easily end up paying no or very little net taxes when all federal, state and local taxes are considered.

As for the actual topic at hand, the girl in this story is a moron. She's entitled trash. But... I'm not worried about it. That money will all be gone soon. A fool and his (her) money are easily parted. She'll pump some money back into businesses and be right back where she started.
    You should hear the stories from my friend who works at the IRS call center in Pittsburgh.

Thank you for backing all of us up and pr0ving what we say is true.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Austin? View Post
    Obama voter!!!! All they do is take take take. There's no goods come out of Obama voter.
    My name is Austin and I approve this ^^^^ comment.
    TRUTH!!!
    '15 Chevy SS
    '16 K7 SXL SWP

Here's what you get for bragging about being a loser....

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpps/new...08-fc_18432495

(NewsCore) - A Michigan woman won a $1 million lottery and continued to collect $200 a month in food stamps -- until she boasted about her situation to a local TV station and officials swooped in.

Amanda Clayton hit the jackpot in the "Make Me Rich!" lottery game show in October and, after electing to take a lump sum of $700,000 and allowing for taxes, was left with about $500,000, she told WDIV-TV.

The 24-year-old, who is unemployed, said she continued to receive public assistance.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought, maybe, it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton said. "It's hard. I am struggling."

She added, "I feel that it's okay because I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay. I have two houses."

But the Michigan Department of Human Services (DHS) said Wednesday that the woman was no longer receiving benefits and warned that people who continued to receive handouts in such circumstances may face criminal investigation and be required to pay back those benefits.

"Under DHS policy, a recipient of food assistance benefits must notify the state within 10 days of any asset or income change. DHS relies on clients being forthcoming about their actual financial status," DHS director Maura Corrigan said.

"Michigan DHS does not currently have the ability to verify a person's lottery winnings in determining benefit eligibility, but bills pending in the state legislature would require the Michigan Lottery to notify DHS of lottery winners.

"We fully support this proposed change. Our Office of Inspector General will continue to vigorously pursue any and all abuse and fraud in the welfare system."

A bill to stop lottery winners from continuing to cash in on food assistance has passed the state House and lawmakers are pushing for the Senate to approve it as well.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Nismo's Avatar

hoes will be hoes is what I always say
    Quote Originally Posted by blackboi50
    white power!!!!!! .....1

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    You should hear the stories from my friend who works at the IRS call center in Pittsburgh.

Thank you for backing all of us up and pr0ving what we say is true.
    You're welcome.

My years of working in public accounting were done at a real firm, not some tax shack... I hate those places. So I didn't work with the types of people you get at the place with the guy in the Statue of Liberty costume outside. But, I do remember a thing or two about general tax law

But yes, these cases are few and far between and if you're that stupid, I hope you'll eventually get caught and get what you deserve. If she took home $500K after all was said and done and has two houses and a new car, I doubt she has much left already. Good (unintentional) job at bringing up the issue and getting people riled up though. Now she's not getting anything and everyone will be in favor of a law to prevent it in the future.
    Last edited by JennB; 03-09-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    2005 Mazdaspeed MX-5 -1.8L Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post

Why so unnecessarily confrontational? I never said it was "earned income", I only said "income". Whether he has earned income or capital gains, they are both income. Form 1040 line 13 which is in the section titled "Income" says Capital Gains. I know this whole attacking semantics is fun and all but can we instead actually talk about laws that allow you to make roughly 21 million in a year and still only pay 14% of it in taxes?

Don't get me wrong, I am and will continue to use capital gains rates to pay less taxes on money that I literally didn't have to lift a finger to earn. But, just because it benefits me, doesn't mean I think it's a good policy for the country. Thank God Reagan isn't still president because he raised capital gains to 28%.

The thing about capital gain tax and why its lower rate is justified, is that it is income made from investments. Investments which have a certain amount of risk associated with it. So if you invest 1 million dollars and lose it all, you just a shit load of money. But if you turned that 1 million into 2 million, you get taxed at a lower rate than as regular income because with regular income you are guaranteed a certain amount, say $10 bucks an hour but capital gain is not guaranteed. Atleast that's how I see it.

Another way to justify the lower rate is that it is capital gains is money that was made by investing money that has already been taxed at the income tax rate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MOST capital gains is money that has already been taxed at your income bracket fyi
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast