Thread: Romney Avoids Taxes

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    As an aside, what do you think the tax brackets should look like?
    I think they should be stretched out more than they are to include people that make up to 1 mil. But with capital gains taxes the way they are, you're still not going to affect people making more than that. I don't think you should have a break because you "invest" "create jobs"(I use that term loosely) and you may or may not have an impact on the US economy, because when the bubbles burst (that investors create) and our currency becomes worthless (like it has), it has a profound impact on those less fortunate and virtually ZERO impact on investors. So I think we should jack up capital gains to at the VERY LEAST 35%. If you're an "investor" and a "job creator" and you want to carry the responsibility of "creating jobs" and "taking risks" with your money, then you should step up and take the responsibility of the tax burden, because if you want to claim responsibility for an economic boom, you have to also claim responsibility for its collapse under the same circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy
    I disagree. He wasnt bright enough in the ways of politics to actually run for President, but Cain is a very intelligent businessman.
    So as long as he can handle his money, you think he'd make a good leader of a country. Remember, the POTUS represents the US.

Businessman, maybe. Intelligent, yet to be seen.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
    less fortunate

I quit reading right here. Saying rich people are more fortunate than poor people implies that the only reason rich people are rich is because they got lucky. It implies that rich people didnt get rich by their own hard work and sacrifice.

Outside of a very small percentage of Americans, being poor in this country means you screwed yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookings Institute
    Our research shows that if you want to avoid poverty and join the middle class in the United States, you need to complete high school (at a minimum), work full time and marry before you have children. If you do all three, your chances of being poor fall from 12 percent to 2 percent, and your chances of joining the middle class or above rise from 56 to 74 percent. (We define middle class as having an income of at least $50,000 a year for a family of three.)
    That quote is from this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081...SIN=0815703228

Another quote from the book referenced, this is in the authors words, not a part of the brookings study as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haskins
    Higher marriage rates among the poor would benefit poor adults themselves, their children, and the nation … According to the U.S. Census Bureau, children living in single-parent families are about five times as likely to live in poverty. There’s also a high probability they’ll drop out of school, get arrested, be involved in teen pregnancy themselves, have more mental health problems, and be less likely to be employed or in school as young adults. Indeed, parents themselves are physically and psychologically better off when married than single.