Thread: AlJazeera-Fault Lines. NAILED IT!

Default AlJazeera-Fault Lines. NAILED IT!

Last edited by .blank cd; 08-04-2011 at 10:08 PM.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

nice...im one of these poor people....being a student with a part time job SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was cute, but not all that accurate in its reporting of 'facts'. Then again, why should I, or anyone else, expect honest 'journalism' from a source that seeks to destroy America.

Being poor in the US typically means a higher standard of living than an average European (not average poor European).

Being poor in America is a temporary problem unless it is a result of poor choices YOU made. People would rather blame someone else though, it obviously isnt YOUR fault you didnt get an education is it?

The 1% of INCOME earners pay nearly 40% of the income taxes while earning about 20% of the income.

Do not confuse wealth and income. They are completely different and cannot be accurately compared. For instance, the weathly receive most of their income and are taxed mainly on capital gains, while others earn and are taxed on wages.

I love it when people talk about poverty in the richest country in the world. Like Jimmy said: The poorest people in the U.S. live better than the average European. Much better standards of living here on all scales of income.

If you want to see poor go live in Romania for a while. "Poor" Americans have no idea what poverty is. This girl at work was complaining about not having health insurance because it's so expensive. The girl has a smart phone, always has nice nails. Just spent thousands on a wedding. Has a nice car. She just doesn't want to afford health insurance for the measly ~$100-150/month a decent blue cross blue shield plan costs for someone our age.

We all fight a disease called hunger all the time. We spend $300-500/month per person feeding ourselves to fight this ravenous disease and you don't hear many people complaining about that. $300/month for a primo health insurance plan is crazy!!! Yet people understand when they buy a car it's going to need gas, oil changes, brake pads, etc. People need the same type and often less costly expenses for healthcare for your average bear. A lot of people spend more on cars most of their lives than they ever do on health care.

Economics is the science of making decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    That was cute, but not all that accurate in its reporting of 'facts'. Then again, why should I, or anyone else, expect honest 'journalism' from a source that seeks to destroy America.
    A source that seeks to destroy America huh? Please explain, and cite your sources. All the facts are accurate and can be easily checked. I think you may be mistaking "destroying America" for a news source that isnt American biased,

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Im not going to sit here and go point by point.

As far as al jazeera being anti american, just read what they spout. Such as their celebration of the lockerbie bomber's release.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The premise of the entire story is a joke to begin with. They basically start off talking about how it's someone else fault that poor people are poor, and that it has nothing to do with their own poor choices in life while saying later on in the story that a majority of top income earners are first generation. Sounds a little contradictory to me.

I found the quote at 10:21 particularly indicative of the current situation here: "when polled, most Americans say they want higher taxes for the wealthiest, cuts in defense spending and believe that keeping the benefits of gov't funded health and retirement programs is more important than cutting budget deficits." While I do agree that defense spending does need to be reigned in through cutting some redundant programs and getting rid of no-bid contracts, it's very telling to me that people feel that gov't handouts are more important than controlling our debt.

Also love the quote that "Ryans' plan emboldened republicans to create a crisis." What crisis did the republicans create? Demanding that the fed gov't reign in its' massive spending spree before allowing them to raise the debt ceiling so that they could continue to spend? I'd hardly call that creating a crisis, seeing as how the ridiculous levels of spending through the last 2 administrations have been leading up to this for some time now. No one wanted to acknowledge that it was coming until we were on the verge of a "default", and don't get me wrong the republicans are no shining beacon of fiscal responsibility, they've had a large hand in massive spending and gov't expansion too.

I also find the whole "patriotic millionaires for fiscal strength" to be a joke. Firstly, many of the people that fall into that category don't pay income taxes, as previously mentioned, they pay capital gains taxes. This whole "tax the rich" rhetoric won't affect them because it taxes income, not capital gains. Secondly, if these "fiscally responsible" millionaires want to help reduce the national debt by giving up more of their money they can simply write a check and give as much money as they'd like to help reduce the national debt.