Thread: 10 Reasons Obama is a One-Term President

Default 10 Reasons Obama is a One-Term President

10 Reasons Obama is a One-Term President

The reasons to believe Obama a one-term president are many and well-grounded.

10. The Declaration of Independents

Candidate Obama attracted independents. President Obama repulses them. The president entered office with the approval of 62 percent of independents. The latest Gallup poll shows support of just 42 percent of independents. Similarly, the political moderates key to his election have deserted the president as immoderate policies have emerged. There simply aren’t enough liberals for Democrats to lose moderates and win elections. No Democratic candidate over the last half century has won the presidency without winning moderates.

9. A Redder America

Barack Obama faces a redder electoral map than he did in 2008. The 2012 presidential election is more than a year away, but the Electoral College has already shifted twelve votes away from blue states and toward red states. Most of the states gaining electoral votes in the census reapportionment voted for McCain. Almost all of the states losing electoral votes voted for Obama. Even the states that Obama carried that added electoral votes—Nevada and Florida, to name two—don’t seem locks to go for the president in 2012. The loss of electoral votes isn’t fatal to Obama. It is a handicap.

8. The Issues Have Changed

Gallup’s “Monthly Most Important Problem” survey is a problem for the president. What is troubling the American people? Over the first five months of 2011, Americans point to the economy (29%), unemployment (26%), the deficit (13%), and government (11%). The issues most salient to voters uniformly work to the incumbent’s disadvantage. When Iraq, health care, and Republican mishandling of the economy mattered to voters, Obama could go on the offensive. It’s difficult to see how he scores points in 2012 on the issues that resonate with voters. He will be on his heels.

7. The Blank Canvass Isn’t Anymore

Other than William Jennings Bryan and Wendell Willkie, who is the major party nominee with a skimpier record than 2008’s Barack Obama? He could vote “present” in the Illinois legislature and run away from U.S. Senate votes while running for higher office. But presidents can’t remain blank slates for long. Unpopular ObamaCare, a sedative stimulus, ineptness in the face of the BP oil spill, and defiance of Congress in starting a third Middle Eastern war have all painted a presidential picture that has calcified conservative opposition, alienated moderates, and disillusioned liberal supporters.

6. Demoralized Liberals

Left-wing activist Ralph Nader encourages a primary challenge. Ohio Democrat Dennis Kucinich sues the administration over Libya. Netroots conference goers boo White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer. Rather than rejoice at a universal health-care bill that eluded predecessors or the introduction of open homosexuality in the military, liberals decry Obama for retaining Bush-era tax rates, playing warden over Guantanamo Bay, and launching a new war in Libya. Never can Democrats satiate their cannibalistic base. If you think this is an overstatement, feel free to examine the teeth marks on the political carcasses of Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, and Lyndon Johnson. Leftists may not primary this president or siphon votes through a suicidal third-party bid. But neither will they work or give at the levels they did in 2008.

5. Energized Conservatives

After eight years of big-government Bush, an underwhelming primary field, and a sclerotic general election campaign, conservatives could be given a mulligan for sleepwalking through the last presidential election. Conservatives, just 34 percent of the electorate in 2008’s election, comprised 42 percent of voters in 2010. From tea-parties to raucous town halls, the political dynamic of the country has been altered. It showed in 2010, when Republicans added 63 House seats, seven Senate seats, and six governors. Nothing invigorates a party’s base like an aggressive ideologue of the opposing party occupying the White House. The GOP clearly has the momentum heading into 2012.

4. The Political Ground Has Shifted Beneath the President’s Feet

A political lifetime has elapsed since Barack Obama’s election. Bailouts and big-government have yielded to tea parties and deficit angst. Gallup’s ideological identification survey registered the highest percentage of liberals in its history the year of Barack Obama’s election. Gallup’s most recent ideological identification survey registered its highest percentage of conservatives since the inaugural 1992 poll. Between the 2008 survey and last year’s, conservatives have gained seven points vis-à-vis liberals. To know liberalism isn’t to love it.

3. Historic Turnouts Aren’t Every-Four-Year Occurrences

Obama surfed to victory in 2008 on the crest of two historic waves. African Americans constituted a larger percentage of the electorate than ever recorded. And young people voted for the Democratic candidate by the greatest margin ever. Two-thirds of 18-to-29 year olds cast ballots for Obama. A staggering 19 out of every 20 African American voters pulled the lever for Obama. The precarious foundation of the Democrat’s election rested on the remarkable turnout, and the amazing one-sidedness, of two constituencies—African Americans and young people—who traditionally stay home on Election Day. That both groups have been hit especially hard by the economic slump makes it hard to envision a repeat of the amazing African American turnout and one-sided youth vote.

2. A Low Ceiling

Roger Simon wondered if the president was “invincible” in the wake of killing bin Laden. More perceptive observers saw vulnerability. Counterintuitively, the assassination of America’s most reviled enemy revealed Barack Obama’s political weaknesses, not his strengths. The president’s weekly Gallup approval average topped out at 51 percent following the bin Laden operation. The best possible week of Obama’s presidency yielded barely half of the electorate’s support. His enemies should acknowledge the man has a floor of support. His supporters should acknowledge he has a ceiling, too.

1. It’s Still the Economy, Stupid

The Misery Index, popularized by Governor Carter to hound President Ford only to be President Carter’s undoing, haunts Democrats again. The combined unemployment and inflation rates are at their worst level in twenty-eight years. The stock market has just spent six weeks in the red. The GDP grows at an anemic rate of 1.8 percent. The housing market has been in shambles for five years, and seems to be double dipping. Debt approaches GDP. Flat-lining and nose-diving trend lines make the president’s reelection precarious. Even a browbeaten Bill Daley, the president’s chief of staff, conceded to an incensed National Association of Manufacturers convention, “Sometimes you can’t defend the indefensible.” He said it.

Barack Obama is a formidable campaigner. His presidency is not without accomplishment (see, Osama bin Laden). And occupants of the White House have lost general elections just five times in the last hundred years. But he has governed ineffectively and stubbornly against the wishes of the American people. He could win reelection. But the preponderance of indicators suggests his defeat. This should make conservatives hopeful for change.
    I haven't gone through and checked all the numbers, but I thought it was an interesting read. I think the points made are pretty valid, and from what I see, not too far off base. The economy is still in the tank and not showing any real signs of substantial improvement. With seemingly more and more people saying we are headed for a double dip recession, I don't see many ways the White House can defend against 4 years of economic stagnation and a looming double dip, if it doesn't hit before the election. Based on his merits alone, I don't see Obama winning a re-election. Of course the GOP could completely bomb again and let him coast right back into the White House, but hopefully they get their act together and put together a good ticket to go against Obama.

What do you think? Is Obama a one term pres., will the election be hard fought to the end, or will one side just run away with it?

I think it will be a close race but no way I will attempt to call it now. While some of those issues are good points, I don't completely agree with some of them. For example, regarding independents. Having 42% approval rating with independents is not a bad thing if the republican challenger has a much lower approval rating. I don't see many of the current republican field faring much better with independents, especially as they duke it out in the primaries for proving their conservative credentials.

Also, I don't think as many people blame him for the economy as this author believes. Many people understand that just because he was at the helm during a storm, doesn't mean he can stop the rain.

It's easy to find evidence for either side having an advantage. For example, Obama has better approval ratings than Reagan had this time before his reelection. Also Obama is currently bettering all current republican challengers in polls as of now. These kind of elections are simply very hard to predict and a lot can change in the next 17 months.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    a lot can change in the next 17 months.
    This sums up everything to this point. Way to early for any predictions, even from the most astute political analysts. 1 thing I will say for sure is that if the economy doesnt make some massive improvements in the next 12 months, the last 5 will mean nothing. Obama will not survive 9% adjusted unemployment and nearly 20% real unemployment/underemployment. If it is still at 9%, you will likely see a GOP super majority in the house and more than 60 GOP in the Senate,to go along with the White House.

Side note, I have yet to see one, but I am already sick of seeing the GOP commercials with Obama saying that passing the stimulus will keep unemployment below 8%

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Republicans are mostly old people and once the boomers start dying off they're gonna have problems.

Also, the field of candidates so far is a joke.

Bachmann - Batshit crazy-eyed theocrat.
    Santorum - You can't even google his name from your work computer
    Gingrich - Has some interesting new ideas (from the year 1983).
    Cain - Answers questions with questions.
    Palin - Katie Couric is still waiting for a response on what newspaper Palin reads.
    Romney - He's the archetect of "ObamaCare". Oh, and he's also Mormon which means the Fundies hate him almost as bad as they hate Muslims from Kenya with fake birth certificates.
    Pawlenty - Wouldn't call Mitt Romney "Obamney" to his face.
    Chris Christie - Took a chopper at taxpayer expense to his kids baseball game. Took a limo at taxpayer expense 100 yards from the chopper to the ball field. Left after the 5th inning (again in a state chopper) to go meet with campaign donors. I'm guessing they met at a poke n' choke buffet.
    Trump - He'll probably be back in the race during sweeps week.
    Ron Paul - Perhaps the only candidate in the race who stands for any sort of principles, which is exactly why he has no chance in hell.
    Rick Perry - Wasn't he advocating for Tex-ass to secede from the Union last year? I say let them go, they're last in every measurable category so they're bringing down the curve for everybody else.
    Rick Huntsman - Obama's ambassador to China (you know, the communists).
    Rudy Giuliani - Really wants you to remember 9/11, but wants you to forget about the CINC responsible for taking out Osama.
    Jimmy McMillan (aka "The Rent is 2 Damn High" guy) - His main platform is rent control. Good luck pitching that to Rupublicans.

I think thats just about everybody who has declared. Oh, I forgot to add Gary Johnson, but then again so did CNN at the last debate. And theres also the one guy I endorse out of this whole field of carnival freaks and bloodsucking parasites. The one guy who has the courage to admit that he's actually a carnival freak and a bloodsucker. I present to you, Jonathon "the Impaler" Sharkey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathon_Sharkey
    http://images.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/fecimg/?C00414912