Thread: 9th Circuit Court Strikes Down Stolen Valor Act

Default 9th Circuit Court Strikes Down Stolen Valor Act

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/0...-again-081710/

Thought this was an interesting article. As a member of the military, I think it is disgraceful for someone to claim service, in addition to claiming to have been awarded a CMH. It is truly disrespectful to all to all those who have served and currently serve and especially disrespectful to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

After seeing the court's reasoning behind the ruling, saying that "there's no evidence that such lies harm anybody, and there's no compelling reason for the government to ban such lies".

What do you think?
    92 EH2 - Current "We will build him, better, stronger, faster."
    98 EJ8 - Stolen ( Thieves)

I can find perfectly valid reasons to agree with both sides of this.

I agree with Jimmy. Being disrespectful and disgraceful is not a valid reason by itself to make it illegal. Wouldn't current fraud laws cover some of the more egregious abuses of pretending to be a veteran anyways? I'm surprised we would need different laws for this specific lie.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Given that being in the military involves things like swearing an oath of enlistment to defend the constitution, when you say you are from the military it comes with some implications. I see it as no different from impersonating a cop. Whether or not impersonating a cop is illegal or not depends on the circumstances. If you dress up in a cop uniform as part of a stripper act or for a play, thats usually not illegal. But if you have a fake car and a fake badge and start pulling people over, thats highly illegal.

I suppose its not necessarily a crime to claim you're military so you can be accepted by your drinking buddies at the Legion or the VFW. It definitely puts you at risk of an ass whoopin' though LOL. But if you falsely claim military service when you're buying guns at a gun show (where they have to do a BG check), or if you are trying to fraud the gov't Vet assistance programs like the VA then that should most definitely be illegal.

I guess you have all seen this thread:
    http://seanlinnane.blogspot.com/2010...e-veteran.html

You'd think that big gut would be a dead giveaway. Doesn't look like he'd ever pass any kind of PT qualification, much less Ranger or Spec. Forces training, lol.