Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To those of you who said the healthcare bill isn't going to affect us

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by xxbckiexx View Post
    Also, what about religions? As I said some modern religions do not believe in modern medicine, so to force them to pay for it is a violation of the amendment.
    I bet they believe in it when their arm gets chopped off.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Does this mean I can't be turned down for health insurance anymore? If so, sweet. I guess it will affect me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    i didnt meant to insinuate that they werent receiving coverage already because like you said, and like i previously said, in the USA we do not refuse care at the ER or at most hospitals. The hospitals provide care to tons of people who cant afford to pay for the service, and ultimately that winds up in our premiums as an embedded cost.

BUt this bill will however extend normal medical coverage to illegal immigrants, or they will grant amnesty to them so they become "citizens". SO i guess the process now is if you are illegal you cant really "work" for a company and be provided healthcare for fear of being caught or found. So right now i think its a catch 22, this bill DOESNT provide them anymore care than they already receive so technically they wont be "covered" although i dont know why the democrats include them in the "30 million uninsured" numbers. But if they provide them amnesty, then they will be allowed to be legally hired and companies , like all other citizens will be required to provide them care.

am i right?
    Actually, this bill MIGHT lower healthcare costs in that particular sector. IF those that are currently without healthcare quit going to the ER for every little thing, and start going to PC physicians, it might lower the cost to the taxpayers for them. Granted, that is a limited number of people that fall into this slot, but an expensive set.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by David88vert View Post
    Actually, this bill MIGHT lower healthcare costs in that particular sector. IF those that are currently without healthcare quit going to the ER for every little thing, and start going to PC physicians, it might lower the cost to the taxpayers for them. Granted, that is a limited number of people that fall into this slot, but an expensive set.
    Why do people go to the ER for every little thing? A regular office visit without health care is what? $40 tops? A trip to the ER just to go is $500, then you add everything else.

that would be you my friend.
    Actually, it seems that we are both wrong on one point. They don't have to get the insurance, and won't be fined.
    "There are exceptions. Certain people with religious objections would not have to get health insurance. Nor would American Indians, illegal immigrants, or people in prison." - http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politic...-buy-insurance

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...WS02/301099964

So your argument was moot from the initial statement.

Actually, it seems that we are both wrong on one point. They don't have to get the insurance, and won't be fined.
    "There are exceptions. Certain people with religious objections would not have to get health insurance. Nor would American Indians, illegal immigrants, or people in prison." - http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politic...-buy-insurance

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...WS02/301099964

So your argument was moot from the initial statement.

All that does is prove I'm correct. They had to write a stipulation in the bill so they wouldn't be taking certain peoples rights away, unconstitutionally. You said it wasn't, and would bear no impact.
    Way Too Big

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

_██_
    (ಠ_ృ) Riveting tale, chap.

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    Why do people go to the ER for every little thing? A regular office visit without health care is what? $40 tops? A trip to the ER just to go is $500, then you add everything else.
    Because people are cheap,and don't want to have to pay at the doctor's office. They want free care. The doctor's office wants you to submit your insurance paperwork, or pay when you visit. The ER just takes down your info, and sends a bill. You don't have to cut a check on the spot.

Because people are cheap,and don't want to have to pay at the doctor's office. They want free care. The doctor's office wants you to submit your insurance paperwork, or pay when you visit. The ER just takes down your info, and sends a bill. You don't have to cut a check on the spot.
    But you end up owing more than $40 for a regular doctors visit. I just went to the ER with no insurance and I paid $80 there and just got billed almost 2k, if I could of waited until Monday to go to the regular doctor and only pay $40 and get a cheap prescription I would of defiantly done that. So you're saying people just don't PAY the money they owe to the hospital after a visit?

All that does is prove I'm correct. They had to write a stipulation in the bill so they wouldn't be taking certain peoples rights away, unconstitutionally. You said it wasn't, and would bear no impact.
    You are wrong on that. You argued that the bill was unconstitutional as it was passed. You had no idea that it has a religious clause already in it.
    They had that all the way back in the House bill. It was due to the current law requiring medical care for those mentally challenged, and children.

But you end up owing more than $40 for a regular doctors visit. I just went to the ER with no insurance and I paid $80 there and just got billed almost 2k, if I could of waited until Monday to go to the regular doctor and only pay $40 and get a cheap prescription I would of defiantly done that. So you're saying people just don't PAY the money they owe to the hospital after a visit?
    Hospitals have massive write-off's each year due to people not paying. Multiple hospitals shut down in southern California due to illegals using the services, but not paying.

Hospitals have massive write-off's each year due to people not paying. Multiple hospitals shut down in southern California due to illegals using the services, but not paying.
    Well fuck that, I'm glad hospitals offer care if you're not insured but I also pay my bills and what I owe people.

Simon you could have gone to any minute clinic they are open 7 days a week

FYI

google cvs minute clinic
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

First Amendment - with SCOTUS having just recently ruled that spending is an exercise of freedom of speech, the mandate to spend money for health care insurance is open to an argument that it is a violation of the right of free speech. In addition, there are religious groups that don't believe in modern health care, and so it will be also open to attack under the freedom of religion clause.
    So now you get to decide how your money is spent based on what policies you support or oppose? I'm opposed to 2 wars right now, and have been since 2002... I figure I'm owed at least 5 grand in overpayments to the IRS. Please post the evidence you have supporting this so I can get my fucking big ass check.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender View Post
    So now you get to decide how your money is spent based on what policies you support or oppose? I'm opposed to 2 wars right now, and have been since 2002... I figure I'm owed at least 5 grand in overpayments to the IRS. Please post the evidence you have supporting this so I can get my fucking big ass check.
    I've already been proven right. You're way behind here chump change.
    Way Too Big

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

_██_
    (ಠ_ృ) Riveting tale, chap.

A fine associated with not paying for the medical service which they do not use, believe in, and is against their religion. Is it me, or do you just not understand basic logic? Doesn't matter what way you spin it, it's not right. It's not constitutional, and you are wrong.
    The thing about Jehovah's Witnesses and other groups that "oppose modern medical care," is that the oppose things like blood transfusions, organ transplants, etc. But for everyday things like taking antibiodics for a strep throat they will still use doctors and hospitals. So while they may pick and choose what services they use they DO use modern healthcare services.

Its not "modern medicine" they oppose, its just certain practices that don't fit their specific beliefs. Jehovah's Witnesses are actually working with doctors by volunteering to test new experimental procedures that replace existing procedures that violate the JW's beliefs.

I'm going to sum this up. Health care bill is full of shit and ALMOST no good will come from it. A lot of harm WILL come from it.

And simon apparently is gay, tr00f.

Of course I own this.
    IT PUTS THE OREOS ON THE RIM

Simon you could have gone to any minute clinic they are open 7 days a week

FYI

google cvs minute clinic
    24 hours a day? Not saying there isn't anyone, but I was in some intense pain and don't regret spending that much honestly. lol I looked up some clinics people told me and none were open 24 hours.

24 hours a day? Not saying there isn't anyone, but I was in some intense pain and don't regret spending that much honestly. lol I looked up some clinics people told me and none were open 24 hours.
    Well then 24 hour clinics are failures!

Of course I own this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bajjani View Post
    I'm going to sum this up. Health care bill is full of shit and ALMOST no good will come from it. A lot of harm WILL come from it.

And simon apparently is gay, tr00f.
    Sum up what? Summing it up means you are coming to conclusions about facts that have been presented. What facts have you presented, what sources are you citing? What is there to sum up besides a bunch of bullshit conjecture and talking points courtesy of right-wing talk radio?

Patience Pays...

Back to the original subject, I'll tell you if I was a Catepillar shareholder I can't say I'd be thanking the administration directly but I'd be thanking someone, their share price has risen 68% over the past year, where else would you get that kind of return on investment?

Sum up what? Summing it up means you are coming to conclusions about facts that have been presented. What facts have you presented, what sources are you citing? What is there to sum up besides a bunch of bullshit conjecture and talking points courtesy of right-wing talk radio?
    WoW blender, I was making a joke because they started getting on technicalities of if something was or wasn't against someones religion...calm yourself and maybe you should go reread the whole thread

Of course I own this.

"She massages Shit" Mike Lowrey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Back to the original subject, I'll tell you if I was a Catepillar shareholder I can't say I'd be thanking the administration directly but I'd be thanking someone, their share price has risen 68% over the past year, where else would you get that kind of return on investment?

:facepalm:

Seriously?! Too bad it was because it was down so far from the year before. It's still down 20+ points from it's 2008 high. Not too good of a return, now is it.
    Rich...Bob...Stan...?????

well i mean if your stock falls 80% and rebounds 69% doesnt mean you are in the black lol

Now if you stepped in an bought when it was at the -80% mark then sure you made good money. I bought google at $323 last year and now its at $568.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Patience Pays...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey View Post
    :facepalm:

Seriously?! Too bad it was because it was down so far from the year before. It's still down 20+ points from it's 2008 high. Not too good of a return, now is it.
    Lets talk Investments then and the current subject. The thread was started based on the affect of the Obama administration and specifically the Healthcare Bill on Catepillar Inc. From January 21st 2009 alone to today the value of the company has almost doubled, anything before that is irrelevant to the subject. I know that when a stock tanks it can easily take a continued dive or it can recover, and for a company with a $620 Million market cap a recovery typically isn't going to be quick.

What I am saying is, is that yeah the stock was already in the shitter but that doesn't mean a recovery was guaranteed either, it could have easily stayed at $27.05 a share or gone even lower had the economy went toward a continual downturn, but it didn't. Also I could just pull any date out my ass and apply it here and say over 5 years there has been a 36% return or 220% over 10 years but those aren't relevant to right now. If Catepillar was facing bankruptcy a lot of you would be referencing the administration, because a $100 million dollar expense is apparently enough to warrant 5 pages of debate, where is that same sentiment when the economic climate has warranted a positive return?

you still never answered my question tony
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Will you concede that this was NOT THE PROMISE Obama made during his campaign. This is not CHANGE if the same "washington politics" is being used. I thought this was supposed to be CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN, and CHANGING THE POLITICS OF OLD, and CHANGING WASHINGTON. What happened to all that? Instead the democrats did business as usual, except this time it was on a much larger scale than anything we have ever seen before. Ive said it MULTIPLE TIMES, they BRIBED people for votes, they brokered shady backdoor deals, they completely ignored their constituents IMO (although that will have to wait until november to be proven), and if the replublicans did it this way i would be saying the EXACT SAME THING. How did they pass this bill? They didnt do it the way our founders intended, they used a loophole, which yes has been used before, to pass something that is 15-20% of our economy. That in itself is wrong IMO

I agree 100000% , we are all paying for it SOMEHOW SOMEWAY under the current system. If you have insurance, you pay for people that dont already as that is built into your plan. We do not refuse medical care in the USA even if you are dead broke. However, no one is saying that we shouldnt fix this current system. I watch Rachel Maddows show last night just cause i like to watch the other side sometimes. Holy shit what a bunch of lies she was spreading saying "the republicans want to repeal this act and reinstate the current system that allows THEIR insurance companies to run things. They want people to die and go broke" That is totally FALSE. No one has EVER SAID THAT.

I beleive it is an ECONOMIC ISSUE, meaning we need to find ways to LOWER COST so people can AFFORD IT. Offer Tax Credits to businesses to give them incentive to provide a healthcare plan, im all for EMERGENCY CATASTROPHIC insurance for people so they can handle the big ticket items. There were ways of expanding coverage reasonably and easily without the govt takeover. There were ways to attack this without allowing the Govt to now dictate to the insurance companies what they can charge. I mean you realize that now an insurance company must burden the SAME COST as well as cover MORE people for LESS money right? In what economic world does that WORK?

As i have said 10029309023920 times medical care is not expensive. What do we deal with most? UTIs, strep throat, FLU, colds, sprains, broken bones , etc. Most colds, infections, sprains can be handled my RNs or NP at clinics often for prices LESS THAN $100. We needed to expand the RN and NP to deal with the easy stuff. I mean if you get cancer without insurance or a broken leg ,yes its incredibly expensive and we should have attacked ways to deal with that issue. But just blanket covering everyone doesnt solve it IMO

I agree with you on this actually. I agree that Catepillar in the scheme of things is a relatively small percentage of the uninsured. But how many other companies are going to go through with this? What if all major industries as we know it see these kind of cost increases?

My question to you is if these fortune 500 companies start seeing these kinds of cost increases, is it worth proving healthcare? How do you think they will recoupe these costs? Prudence demands a man of your intellect to know that either they will LAY PEOPLE OFF or they will RAISE THEIR PRICES, or they will FREEZE HIRING/WAGES.

SO like ive said all along you will have your healthcare at the expense of your job because this bill doesnt attack the ROOT causes of COST and why people cant afford it.
    bump
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Patience Pays...

I had responded to that but then had to leave Mike. I've said it before that this plan isn't what Obama proposed originally and either people don't care or afraid to call him out on it.

In my own personal opinion (and it is just my opinion) I think this idea being thrown around that these companies will incur larger expenses with this healthcare plan is a big misnomer, a good majority already offer their employees health insurance (fortune 500) even to domestic partnerships. Small businesses will see tax cuts for insuring their employees to offset the cost. When I look at the this plan I honestly think that no I don't like everything about it but the proposal and the analysis by the CBO leads me to say "lets give it a try." Nothing wrong with scrutinizing policy but it comes to a point where people are just criticizing to criticize. When the other side offers up a better plan I'll support it.

I had responded to that but then had to leave Mike. I've said it before that this plan isn't what Obama proposed originally and either people don't care or afraid to call him out on it.

In my own personal opinion (and it is just my opinion) I think this idea being thrown around that these companies will incur larger expenses with this healthcare plan is a big misnomer, a good majority already offer their employees health insurance (fortune 500) even to domestic partnerships. Small businesses will see tax cuts for insuring their employees to offset the cost. When I look at the this plan I honestly think that no I don't like everything about it but the proposal and the analysis by the CBO leads me to say "lets give it a try." Nothing wrong with scrutinizing policy but it comes to a point where people are just criticizing to criticize. When the other side offers up a better plan I'll support it.
    Well, my family (my Dad and I) own a company one company that is netting approx $20 million revenue. We offer insurance and pay a portion, also they can pick any family plan etc they want to cover spouse/children. Our costs from this bill are estimated to double if not more.

Small businesses and huge business are going to be fine, imo. They'll have more cost but nothing so obscene it will shut them down. The problem is the companies that make 10-100 million. They'll see harder hits based off the % of their NI.

I could talk out a drastic scenario but it'd be completely nothing more than a off the wall theory of what COULD happen if majority of these mid-sized companies bite the bullet.

Of course I own this.

Lets talk Investments then and the current subject. The thread was started based on the affect of the Obama administration and specifically the Healthcare Bill on Catepillar Inc. From January 21st 2009 alone to today the value of the company has almost doubled, anything before that is irrelevant to the subject. I know that when a stock tanks it can easily take a continued dive or it can recover, and for a company with a $620 Million market cap a recovery typically isn't going to be quick.

What I am saying is, is that yeah the stock was already in the shitter but that doesn't mean a recovery was guaranteed either, it could have easily stayed at $27.05 a share or gone even lower had the economy went toward a continual downturn, but it didn't. Also I could just pull any date out my ass and apply it here and say over 5 years there has been a 36% return or 220% over 10 years but those aren't relevant to right now. If Catepillar was facing bankruptcy a lot of you would be referencing the administration, because a $100 million dollar expense is apparently enough to warrant 5 pages of debate, where is that same sentiment when the economic climate has warranted a positive return?
    We could talk stock all day long but it isn't always an accurate assessment of how a company is doing. Stocks can be over valued, undervalued, and they are a lot of times based of predictions of big investors, the expected quarterly earnings, things that haven't really happened but COULD happen. Also, yes the investment may have been great up until now and the economy was 'slowly turning around,' but if people have to tighten their belts more and have less money to spend, that WILL slow the economy.

Of course I own this.

The "change" I voted for was a change to more progressive policies, and Obama has delivered on that so far. Not quite to the extent that I had hoped, but as far as I know we are no longer torturing detainees at Gitmo, the Auto industry has been saved, the banks are under a closer watch now, etc. The economy is making forward momentum.

As far as the "deals," the Cornhusker kickback was not in the final legislation.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ciliation-bill

As for the reconciliation process, it was about as transparent as any legislative process has ever been. I really didn't expect Obama to change the actual process much as that all has do do with Congress. Pretty much everything he promised (posting bills online before votes etc) is stuff that already happens. Everything that goes before Congress is posted in the THOMAS database, and the various Healthcare bills have been there for you all to read for months on end.

I agree that most 50+ employee business offer healthcare already but thats another argument for another day.

Do you REALLY truly believe the CBO? There are major holes in there numbers, like counting the Medicare Savings twice ("saving the medicare 500billion, then spending it to fund healthcare isnt really a "savings") 10 years reducing the deficit by 138 billion (10 years of taxes , 6 years of benefits).

In fact most people say if you look at this program 10 years of taxes 10 years of benefits, you are looking at over 2 trillion in costs, at least 1.5 trillion added to the deficit by 2020.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

The "change" I voted for was a change to more progressive policies, and Obama has delivered on that so far. Not quite to the extent that I had hoped, but as far as I know we are no longer torturing detainees at Gitmo, the Auto industry has been saved, the banks are under a closer watch now, etc. The economy is making forward momentum.

As far as the "deals," the Cornhusker kickback was not in the final legislation.

As for the reconciliation process, it was about as transparent as any legislative process has ever been. I really didn't expect Obama to change the actual process much as that all has do do with Congress. Pretty much everything he promised (posting bills online before votes etc) is stuff that already happens. Everything that goes before Congress is posted in the THOMAS database, and the various Healthcare bills have been there for you all to read for months on end.
    Do you honestly believe that this healthcare bill will bring nothing but good?

Of course I own this.

totally disagree, but point noted
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Bajjani View Post
    Do you honestly believe that this healthcare bill will bring nothing but good?
    yes hes a progressive, they are not satisfied until the govt has total control over every social aspect of your life in the name of social and economic justice. If its good for you the govt must provide it, is their mantra.

They dont believe in capitalism , or "the rich". They believe in a star trek utopia where everyone is happy and equal in all facets of life from money to housing to cars to personal possessions.

Progressivism is not that much different than Communism or Marxism.

Edit: The fact that he says the banks are under a close eye , the Auto Industry is saved, the economy is getting better shows the complete disconnect he is experiencing. None of those are true in the slightest
    -www.usedbarcode.net

yes hes a progressive, they are not satisfied until the govt has total control over every social aspect of your life in the name of social and economic justice. If its good for you the govt must provide it, is their mantra.

They dont believe in capitalism , or "the rich". They believe in a star trek utopia where everyone is happy and equal in all facets of life from money to housing to cars to personal possessions.

Edit: The fact that he says the banks are under a close eye , the Auto Industry is saved, the economy is getting better shows the complete disconnect he is experiencing. None of those are true in the slightest
    I know this much, it isn't the first auto bailout won't be the last, but the weather is killing my sinuses and I have to much of a headache to want to debate today so I'm trying to keep it short. I posted a link from CNN that got moved to the political section that had a meeting with the Mayor of Mass. and he described the healthcare bill as a sundae. It was a pile of dirt with cherries on top. He also out right called Obama a liar and gave examples on how he lied.

Of course I own this.

I demand a National Naptime Hour..... That's my healthcare. OBAMA!!!
    My boyfriend is better than you...

You regurgitate that crap so well that when I read your posts its like I'm actually watching Glenn Beck. Maybe you could add some bitchin' American flag graphics, and some scrolling talking points to your signature to complete the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagjanji
    Mayor of Mass.
    WTF man, Mass. is a state. States don't have mayors, they have Governor's, legislators, and attorneys general.

Also, it seems the Sonny has appointed a "Special Atorney General" to file suit against the Gov't because Thurbert Baker won't do it.

Sonny says he has a team of attorneys who will work for free, but I am sure this will end up costing the state a shitload of money with no real results. For one thing, an attorney's time is never free. These guys are getting something form Sonny, probably either political patronage appointments or financial backing and endorsements to run for public office. Secondly, it will cost us the salary that will be paid to the "Special Attorney General." There are also court costs, and the time and resources that will be spent on this that could be diverted to other things like the HUGE ASS HOLE IN THE BUDGET.

The GOP's mantra is that there are "no free lunches," so does Sonny really think he can pull a fast one on us and act like this isn't going to cost anything? It seems like all he's trying to do lately is just save whatever political capital he's got left with the Teabagging set.

You regurgitate that crap so well that when I read your posts its like I'm actually watching Glenn Beck. Maybe you could add some bitchin' American flag graphics, and some scrolling talking points to your signature to complete the effect.
    LOL see thats what i love is you automatically think im too stupid to think for myself that i MUST have gotten it from Glenn BEck.

Im not gonna sit here and argue, thats what YOU BELIEVE, its exactly what YOU WROTE. I can go pull all your posts up if i cared enough of had the time.

You just said you were happy that a obama was advancing PROGRESSIVE policies. Are you too stupid to know what Progressive means?

Progressives advocate SOCIAL JUSTICE and ECONOMIC JUSTICE through redistribution of wealth. they believe they know whats best for other people (at the GOVT level) and are largely for legislating or implementing policies that restrict free or independent choices.

Everyone deserves a home (fannie and freddie)
    Everyone deserves healthcare
    Everyone deserves a good paying job (raising mimimum wage, creating more govt jobs)

You believe that Govt knows best, that rich business owners are evil, and that everyone should be given the same things to "even" the playing field.

It is NOT that much different than communism.

Im just interpreting your own words, maybe you should think before you type
    -www.usedbarcode.net

IA.COM Founder.

Also, it seems the Sonny has appointed a "Special Atorney General" to file suit against the Gov't because Thurbert Baker won't do it.
    Sonny says he has a team of attorneys who will work for free, but I am sure this will end up costing the state a shitload of money with no real results. For one thing, an attorney's time is never free. These guys are getting something form Sonny, probably either political patronage appointments or financial backing and endorsements to run for public office. Secondly, it will cost us the salary that will be paid to the "Special Attorney General." There are also court costs, and the time and resources that will be spent on this that could be diverted to other things like the HUGE ASS HOLE IN THE BUDGET.

The GOP's mantra is that there are "no free lunches," so does Sonny really think he can pull a fast one on us and act like this isn't going to cost anything? It seems like all he's trying to do lately is just save whatever political capital he's got left with the Teabagging set.

" free " Lawyers probably been on the budget for a long time.. lol

V-teckidd, thats exactly the kind of crap Glenn Beck has been spouting all week. I know this because I actually watched his show from 3/23.

Progressivism and capitalism can and do exist side by side. Places with socialized healthcare like Canada, Great Britain, and France all still have capitalist classes. London has more millionaires than anywhere else in the world.

Its not about eliminating the people at the top and making everyone "equal," its about making sure that people have adequate resources to cover their most basic needs and that all human life is treated with a basic minimum of dignity and respect.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast