Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brown wins Massachusetts !

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Massachusetts represents the entire country now? They thought the same in New Hampshire in the Democratic Primaries, we see how that turned out.
    When it happens in a state that has been blue for 40 years yes.. that speaks volumes on what Obama's TRUE support is.. Which is falling..

Put it this way.. if he were to go out of office tomorrow, what would he be remembered for?? Trying to tax banks on profit, giving billions and billions to a failing company named GM, trying to push through a health care bill on Christmas Eve and closing Guantanamo Bay.. WOW!! I'm impressed..

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmpsi View Post
    Put it this way.. if he were to go out of office tomorrow, what would he be remembered for?? Trying to tax banks on profit, giving billions and billions to a failing company named GM, trying to push through a health care bill on Christmas Eve and closing Guantanamo Bay.. WOW!! I'm impressed..
    Dont forget all the hard work he put in to win the nobel peace prize

I think the death of him will be he and his staff continuing to blame Bush .

If I hear "the last 8 years" one more time

This is his presidency he has to realize he inherited problems but his policies have done nothing to fix them
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Mach'N'U View Post
    Also to the person who said compermise on the healthcare plan? What is there to meet in the middle about? Most of the people are saying no, hell no, and the republicans are trying to speak and act for the people. Vs where the democrates are sitting there saying, they know better than what the people want. I mean hell, look at Obama, he's a walking example. There is so much proof out there of him on his campign trail telling people he's going to give them what they want, and now 1 year later, proof where he is saying, I will not. Dem's are looking out for 1 thing...themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin51982 View Post
    Agreed, Dems only look out for themselves and could really care less about the popular majority.
    Maybe this is where we disagree on what compromise is. To me if 30% of the people want something and 70% of the people want something else, then doing ONLY what the 70% want is not compromise. That's called tyranny of the majority. The idea that even the minority, have a voice that deserves to be respected and heard is one of this country's founding principles. To me a real compromise would be to allow competition across state lines but also do something to limit the denial or pre-existing conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by bu villain View Post
    Maybe this is where we disagree on what compromise is. To me if 30% of the people want something and 70% of the people want something else, then doing ONLY what the 70% want is not compromise. That's called tyranny of the majority. The idea that even the minority, have a voice that deserves to be respected and heard is one of this country's founding principles. To me a real compromise would be to allow competition across state lines but also do something to limit the denial or pre-existing conditions.
    In a Democracy, it is a majority rules. They take the majority of the vote. That is almost like saying well 30% of the people in the U.S. wanted McCain as president whereas 70% wanted Barry Obama. Are you saying there needs to be a compromise there? No, and that is because it is majority rules. If they pass some form of healthcare reform that costs taxpayers, then the 70% of people who do not want it will still have to pay for the 30% that do. It creates animosity.

Another example of this is Germany, even to this day, 20 years after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the former West Germans carry animosity towards the former East Germans. This is becasue the West is having to pay to repair and fix everything the east does and everything the east lacks, and they (West Germans) feel that it is NOT their responsibility.

If people have a problem with the cost of healthcare in this nation, then maybe, just maybe, money, time and effort should be put into deporting illegal immigrants who utilize our medical system and don't pay for it. Maybe, people should stop sueing over every little thing that a doctor does that could be construed as "negligent", when they are really trying to help. Perhaps by doing this, malpractice insurance would end up costing less and thus cost the patient less. People want to point fingers at republicans and democrats and insurance companies; when in reality, people need to look at the real problem, which is everyone who trys to screw and buck the system to get something for nothing. Deport the illegals, and stop sueing over ever little damn thing. That alone will help bring the cost of healthcare down.

As far as regulations go. I do think that perhaps the drug companies might need to be talked to and their outrageous costs of drugs be brought down.

This is a "majority" rules country But when it comes to legislating I think it should TRY to borrow some ideas from the minority.

I'm not for public option, I'm not for Cadillac tax, but buying across statelines should be allowed, I agree about the pre-existing conditions.

The problem is the dems don't give a shit about republicans and the republicans don't have any real solutions (ideas) to really present. They talk about tort reform buti want to know HOW

we need a congress like in 94-98 where clinton was proactive with newt led republicans and the dems where real ideas where exchanged discussed and implemented. It was very bipartisan and lots got accomplished.

Ever since then it's been power plays and furthering ideology instead of what is best for the people.

With a deficit spiraling put of control I don't knowhow they can talk about controlling costs in relating to healthcare

look In the mirror
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Patience Pays...

I think we'd consider this more of a Republic than a true Democracy.. in theory majority rules but there are failsafes that are supposed to limit complete power. Perfect example is the popular vote versus the electoral college.

^ exactly. We do not live in a simple "majority rules" (51% wins) country. If that were the case, why do the democrats need 60 votes (this is 60% of the senate) to pass healthcare in the senate? Why does Rhode Island get the same number of senators as New York or California? Why does it take 3/4 of the states to ratify an amendment? Remember when Gore won the popular vote and yet did not become president?

Justin, your comparison to the presidential election also does not make sense. A president is one person so it can't split it up but a bill may contain many parts, so it can be composed of ideas from many different groups of people. If people had to agree with every single part of every single bill, nothing would get done. Compromise means allowing something you don't like in order to get something you do want.

I was watching a show on tv last night and a senator said that if the Higher Education stuff goes through then every schools tuition will rise, all but Nebraska. He said it was due to a throwback. Basically every states will be taxing and raising tuition to pay for another states deficit. Can someone explain what Nebraska did in order for this to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Octopus™ View Post
    yeah thats all you got cuz shortly after that picture you accepted tasteful wheels and better fitment into your life as your Lowered and Savior.

Amen.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Tuition is probably going to rise anyway at the USG schools. Every single school has been cut to the bone as far as budget goes, to the point that they are about to have to start cutting services because personnel are stretched thin.

As far as tuition going to states deficits, that doesn't happen. Every single dollar of tuition raised goes to the schools endowment, and even then tuition is not enough to support the schools so there are fees, state grants, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender View Post
    Tuition is probably going to rise anyway at the USG schools. Every single school has been cut to the bone as far as budget goes, to the point that they are about to have to start cutting services because personnel are stretched thin.

As far as tuition going to states deficits, that doesn't happen. Every single dollar of tuition raised goes to the schools endowment, and even then tuition is not enough to support the schools so there are fees, state grants, etc etc.
    Sorry, I wrote that wrong. Not the deficit. I mean that tuition's have already gone up, but would go up even more. This is to happen to all states except Nebraska if the Higher Education bill goes through. All other states would be supporting a small percentage to Nebraska for some reason or another, therefore their tuition wont be rising like everyone else. The guy being interviewed mentioned a throwback, which makes me think of a kickback.

yeah thats all you got cuz shortly after that picture you accepted tasteful wheels and better fitment into your life as your Lowered and Savior.

Amen.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5speed View Post
    Sorry, I wrote that wrong. Not the deficit. I mean that tuition's have already gone up, but would go up even more. This is to happen to all states except Nebraska if the Higher Education bill goes through. All other states would be supporting a small percentage to Nebraska for some reason or another, therefore their tuition wont be rising like everyone else. The guy being interviewed mentioned a throwback, which makes me think of a kickback.
    Sorry, but I don't see any kickbacks in the text of the Higher Education bill HR4137

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...37&tab=summary

Some features of this bill that I like...

Defines criteria of foreign medical programs that can receive title IV funds.

Defines criteria on "diploma mills" and other scams.

Requires colleges to provide their students with bibliographic information on their textbooks including ISBN. Also requires college bookstores to disclose the price at which the publisher wholesales textbooks and retails textbooks the general public.

Establishes a test program at 10 universities that will allow students to rent their course materials rather than buy.

Makes the FAFSA more easily accessible to consumers, including a FAFSA-EZ for students who are not expected to have family-based education funding.

Enhances the Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 in which the attorney general repays student loans for those who serve for 3 years as a state or local criminal prosecutor or public defender.

I didn't see anything in the text of the bill about title IV money or any other college funding being diverted to the deficits of State governments.

Tuition will rise everywhere because the state governments are broke and can't fund the schools. But those rises will be determined by the schools and their respective state governments. Congress has nothing to do with that, and I don't see any basis for claims of kickbacks etc.

If you want to talk about kickbacks at the state level and university tuition and expenses... thats another story...

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender View Post
    Sorry, but I don't see any kickbacks in the text of the Higher Education bill HR4137

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...37&tab=summary

Some features of this bill that I like...

Defines criteria of foreign medical programs that can receive title IV funds.

Defines criteria on "diploma mills" and other scams.

Requires colleges to provide their students with bibliographic information on their textbooks including ISBN. Also requires college bookstores to disclose the price at which the publisher wholesales textbooks and retails textbooks the general public.

Establishes a test program at 10 universities that will allow students to rent their course materials rather than buy.

Makes the FAFSA more easily accessible to consumers, including a FAFSA-EZ for students who are not expected to have family-based education funding.

Enhances the Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 in which the attorney general repays student loans for those who serve for 3 years as a state or local criminal prosecutor or public defender.

I didn't see anything in the text of the bill about title IV money or any other college funding being diverted to the deficits of State governments.

Tuition will rise everywhere because the state governments are broke and can't fund the schools. But those rises will be determined by the schools and their respective state governments. Congress has nothing to do with that, and I don't see any basis for claims of kickbacks etc.

If you want to talk about kickbacks at the state level and university tuition and expenses... thats another story...
    I like those features too. The senator, who ever he was, clearly said throwback when referring to Nebraska. I'm just trying to figure out where in the hell that came from. The Congress doesn't have anything to do with it, but the way he said it clearly said that other states would cover that state and that state only. Doesn't make one bit of sense to me at all. That just isn't how it works.

Amen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12