Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Super Speeder Law

Quote Originally Posted by F8d2Blk View Post
    Fines are already over $200 to $300's especially in Fulton, so just add a few more I guess. My only problem is it won't slow down the speeders. People drive what they are comfortable driving based on the conditions. Every morning going 285 east, everyone is going 85mph in the fast lane. Even after this law has passed. I never see any cops on 285 east in the morning except by the peachtree ind exit. So people know when to slow down. I speed but I am usually within the limits of the law so it doesn't affect me. But for all you people that are praising Sonny for a job well done, I say BS simply because people are going to drive how they want. Try again. There are just as much idiots on the road that don't speed.

Since people are still going to commit armed robberies ad murder, no matter what the penalty is, should we just ignore them too and let them do as they please?

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodge® View Post
    Well that's not right, either, lolol. LEOs aren't the ones that set the fine amount. They just write down the speed limit and the miles per hour being traveled by the offender. The ONLY thing they can do is not write down the correct speed o the speeder. Later, QD.

Well, again, thats what I'm trying to say. That the cops will eventually lay off the new law and give people more breaks. Just doing a poor job of explanning myself. lolol.
    "Damn, Its Tyler"
    RaceReadyDevelopments

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    Since people are still going to commit armed robberies ad murder, no matter what the penalty is, should we just ignore them too and let them do as they please?
    That is totally different. This has nothing to do with murders and robberies. This is infringement on our rights. If I want to kill myself by driving fast, it is my choice, just like you should have a choice to wear a seatbelt. Although, the seatbelt is the best invention to save lives, since they put us in these death box on wheels anyway.

You say you will be safer now that they charge a $200 dollars more for a speeding ticket and I say, yeah right. BS

Statistic from 2005, Roughly, 40 percent of the fatal crashes are alcohol-related

Teenagers

Car Accidents are the leading cause of death among teenagers in the United States, accounting for 36% of all deaths of persons aged 15 to 19 years.

The fatal crash rate per million miles for 16-year-old drivers is more than 7 times the rate for drivers aged 30 to 59 years.

Nearly the same number of deaths occur among teenaged passengers as teenaged drivers: in 1993, two thirds of the deaths of passengers aged 13 to 19 years occurred when teenagers were driving

Here is the breakdown of lowering and raising speed limits.

•At 34 locations, existing speed limits were posted within 5 mi/h (8 km/h) of the 85th percentile speeds. When speed limits at these sites were lowered more than 5 mi/h (8 km/h) below the 85th percentile speed, the mean difference in percentile speeds was less than 1 mi/h (1.6 km/h). [In other words, lowering the speed limit does not mean traffic will slow down.]
    •At 21 other locations, existing speed limits were posted more than 5 mi/h (8 km/h) below the 85th percentile speeds. When the agencies raised the limits to within 5 mi/h (8 km/h) of the 85th percentile speeds at these sites, the mean difference in percentile speeds was less than 1 mi/h (1.6 km/h) [In other words, raising the speed limit does not mean traffic will speed up.]
    •By defining driver compliance as the number or percentage of drivers that travel at or below the posted speed limit, major changes in compliance occurred when speed limits were raised or lowered. However, as reflected in small changes in vehicle speeds, driver behavior did not change, but the standard for measuring compliance, i.e., posted speed limit, changed. [Higher limits mean a greater number of drivers traveling at the limit instead of over it.]

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodge®'s Avatar

This is infringement on our rights. If I want to kill myself by driving fast, it is my choice,...
    But is it your right to kill someone else because of your choice to drive faster than necessary? Government mandated "safety" might be an infringement in the privacy of your own home, but when you're out on a public motorway, it's not just you anymore. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

But is it your right to kill someone else because of your choice to drive faster than necessary? Government mandated "safety" might be an infringement in the privacy of your own home, but when you're out on a public motorway, it's not just you anymore. Later, QD.
    Thats a chance you take every day getting in your car.

It all goes back to what your comfortable driving. I am just saying the added charge isn't going to change the way people drive and the roads aren't going to be any safer. Sorry to say that, so this superspeeder law is sham.

Here is the breakdown in Fatalaties in Georgia, 2007 from the census bureau.

Total: 1,641

Speed related fatalities -384 Total

Speeds-
    Interstate:
    Over 55 24 Total
    Under 55 14 Total

Non Interstate:
    55 and over -117
    50mph -7
    45mph -58
    40mph -12
    35mph -68
    35 and under -28

So there was 1641 motor vehicle fatalities for 2007
    384 were speed related
    What were the other 1300 fatalities caused by? Probably a stupid driver.

To bad we can't fine the stupid drivers for $200 more?

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s1072.xls

I do believe that people that speed or that go slightly faster than the flow of traffic actually pay more attention to their surroundings instead of most people that just sit there and have tunnel vision.

You're right. But that doesn't mean you should make it potentially worse.

It all goes back to what your comfortable driving. I am just saying the added charge isn't going to change the way people drive and the roads aren't going to be any safer. Sorry to say that, so this superspeeder law is sham.
    Everyone keeps posting all these charts and graphs and hollering about how speeding isn't the problem and it doesn't matter. Who cares if it's a sham? I don't. It'll never affect me. You're only going to get shammed if you fall victim to it.

The only thing I don't understand about this is why everyone has so much time to complain about something that is so easily avoidable. I don't get it. If you don't like eating broccoli because of the taste, you don't eat broccoli. If you don't like concerts because of noise, you don't go to concerts. If you don't like paying high fines for speeding, you don't speed. Later, QD.

You're right. But that doesn't mean you should make it potentially worse.

Everyone keeps posting all these charts and graphs and hollering about how speeding isn't the problem and it doesn't matter. Who cares if it's a sham? I don't. It'll never affect me. You're only going to get shammed if you fall victim to it.

The only thing I don't understand about this is why everyone has so much time to complain about something that is so easily avoidable. I don't get it. If you don't like eating broccoli because of the taste, you don't eat broccoli. If you don't like concerts because of noise, you don't go to concerts. If you don't like paying high fines for speeding, you don't speed. Later, QD.
    Most speeders already know that, you pay to play. Which others have mentioned.
    The point is the extra fine isn't going to make the roads safer. So to praise a governor for not fixing a problem on our roads isn't going to fix the problem. I don't go above 85 unless, I just happen to be unaware but I think if you want to change habits, put more cops out there on the damn freeways. You never see them. Especially 285.

The point is the extra fine isn't going to make the roads safer.
    Lolol.

So to praise a governor for not fixing a problem on our roads isn't going to fix the problem. I don't go above 85 unless, I just happen to be unaware but I think if you want to change habits, put more cops out there on the damn freeways. You never see them. Especially 285.
    I never praised anyone. Approving this law doesn't I'm approving the Governor. Which 285 do you get on? I see County on 285 all day damn near every day of the week. And I look because I drive a semi on that loop 5 days a week and they are always out there. Later, QD.

Lolol.

I never praised anyone. Approving this law doesn't I'm approving the Governor. Which 285 do you get on? I see County on 285 all day damn near every day of the week. And I look because I drive a semi on that loop 5 days a week and they are always out there. Later, QD.
    The most populated 285 between upper 75n and 85n. LOL at you too.....

And it also sucks to deal with all the stupid drivers out there, having to drive a semi. Who do you drive for?

The most populated 285 between upper 75n and 85n. LOL at you too.....
    You are right about that part of 285 not having police activity much. Everything from Spaghetti Junction back South to I-20 and West to he airport and then back up North to I-20 is always heavily patrolled. But from Spaghetti Junction around top-end to I-20, there is hardly anyone.

I only laughed because of your comment about speeding and safety....not directly at you. No harm intended.

And it also sucks to deal with all the stupid drivers out there, having to drive a semi. Who do you drive for?[/QUOTE]

It does suck, but I love it. When we get in stopped traffic, I just hop into the sleeper and chill out for a minute, lolol. I was driving for one of the largest trucking companies around. Later, QD.

That is totally different. This has nothing to do with murders and robberies. This is infringement on our rights. If I want to kill myself by driving fast, it is my choice, just like you should have a choice to wear a seatbelt. Although, the seatbelt is the best invention to save lives, since they put us in these death box on wheels anyway.

You say you will be safer now that they charge a $200 dollars more for a speeding ticket and I say, yeah right. BS

Statistic from 2005, Roughly, 40 percent of the fatal crashes are alcohol-related

Teenagers

Car Accidents are the leading cause of death among teenagers in the United States, accounting for 36% of all deaths of persons aged 15 to 19 years.

The fatal crash rate per million miles for 16-year-old drivers is more than 7 times the rate for drivers aged 30 to 59 years.

Nearly the same number of deaths occur among teenaged passengers as teenaged drivers: in 1993, two thirds of the deaths of passengers aged 13 to 19 years occurred when teenagers were driving

Here is the breakdown of lowering and raising speed limits.

•At 34 locations, existing speed limits were posted within 5 mi/h (8 km/h) of the 85th percentile speeds. When speed limits at these sites were lowered more than 5 mi/h (8 km/h) below the 85th percentile speed, the mean difference in percentile speeds was less than 1 mi/h (1.6 km/h). [In other words, lowering the speed limit does not mean traffic will slow down.]
    •At 21 other locations, existing speed limits were posted more than 5 mi/h (8 km/h) below the 85th percentile speeds. When the agencies raised the limits to within 5 mi/h (8 km/h) of the 85th percentile speeds at these sites, the mean difference in percentile speeds was less than 1 mi/h (1.6 km/h) [In other words, raising the speed limit does not mean traffic will speed up.]
    •By defining driver compliance as the number or percentage of drivers that travel at or below the posted speed limit, major changes in compliance occurred when speed limits were raised or lowered. However, as reflected in small changes in vehicle speeds, driver behavior did not change, but the standard for measuring compliance, i.e., posted speed limit, changed. [Higher limits mean a greater number of drivers traveling at the limit instead of over it.]
    How may I ask, is this an infringement on our rights? Are you serious?

So what you are saying is that it is your RIGHT to drive as fast as you want too? It's your RIGHT to endanger other peoples lives? Bullshit.

I think that alot of people have forgotten that driving is a priviledge....a priviledge that can be revoked for doing dumb shit. Soooooo, just like ANY other ticket, they will stop you, add points to your license and fine you. When those points...or as I call them "Dumbass Marks" add up to a point, you have officially done too much dumb shit and your priviledge to drive has been revoked.

As for this little gem.

Quote Originally Posted by F8d2Blk
    You have a wonderful son, i've met him, he's awesome. So that's just the chance he takes when you load him into the car to take him to school and some moron doing 85 mph slams into the side of your car and possibly kills your son....but that's ok, because it is his RIGHT to drive like that?
    Bullshit. Trust me, if that thing happens to you, these words and figures you are quoting right now will be the EXACT opposite of what you will be saying then.

You are only thinking of yourself. You are not thinking of the people that that person who you say has a RIGHT to tear ass around the highways and byways of our great state, kills be being a fucking jackass. Think further, think of your family, your friends family, all the people you know. Cause I garauntee, when that the first person that you know that gets killed by a "Super Speeder", your tune will change.
    Last edited by Glides; 01-07-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Garage-Sixgun
    If you're gonna do it, overdo it.

Dirty Octopus Photography. Magic with a shutter!

You guys didn't read the stats of any of the stuff I posted. Superspeeders are probably the smallest part of the problem. I think they should try again. I think they should increase fines for DUI's, make everyone buy hands-free, and put more emphasis on driver training.

So go read the stats again and then comment.

You guys didn't read the stats of any of the stuff I posted. Superspeeders are probably the smallest part of the problem. I think they should try again. I think they should increase fines for DUI's, make everyone buy hands-free, and put more emphasis on driver training.

So go read the stats again and then comment.
    As I said before, those stats and all have been posted on here every time the topic is brought up. I don't need to read them every single time someone posts them. I am aware of them. I agree with the rest of what you're saying (higher fines for DUI, etc), but I also agree with this law. No stat will make me not like the fact that if you want to drive this way, now you got to pay for it. Later, QD.

I love all of the "I'm a great driver and I can drive as fast as I want and be completely safe" type comments on this thread. None of you have a clue. ANYTHING can cause an accident, and since you people like stats so much, lower speeds result in less severe accidents in 100% of cases.

Here is an example from my own, personal, experiences that completely nullifies these "I'm a great driver" remarks.

Back in 2000 or 2001 I was driving North on I-15 in Cali when the guy 3 or 4 car lengths in front of me slammed on his breaks and swerved into my lane to avoid a deer. Speed limit was 65 I believe and since I just got a huge ticket I was actually doing pretty close to the speed limit, maybe 70mph max. Because I wasnt driving overly fast, I had the time to react. I was able to get on my breaks, and swerve into the other lane. Had I been doing even 80mph, there was no way I was going to avoid this guy. As it was, I missed him by no more than 10ft.

I love all of the "I'm a great driver and I can drive as fast as I want and be completely safe" type comments on this thread. None of you have a clue. ANYTHING can cause an accident, and since you people like stats so much, lower speeds result in less severe accidents in 100% of cases.

Here is an example from my own, personal, experiences that completely nullifies these "I'm a great driver" remarks.

Back in 2000 or 2001 I was driving North on I-15 in Cali when the guy 3 or 4 car lengths in front of me slammed on his breaks and swerved into my lane to avoid a deer. Speed limit was 65 I believe and since I just got a huge ticket I was actually doing pretty close to the speed limit, maybe 70mph max. Because I wasnt driving overly fast, I had the time to react. I was able to get on my breaks, and swerve into the other lane. Had I been doing even 80mph, there was no way I was going to avoid this guy. As it was, I missed him by no more than 10ft.
    I'll give you one of my experiences, I was driving 30mph and the posted speed limit was 35, it wasn't raining but the roads were wet and I was coming around a blind bend, next thing I know a deer jumped out of no where, there was nothing I can do except hope that I didn't get hurt. I wasn't going to hit the brakes to spin out since S2000's are tail happy, and just hope God was watching me that night and he was the deer jumped on the hood of my car and took off into the woods.

I'll give you one of my experiences, I was driving 30mph and the posted speed limit was 35, it wasn't raining but the roads were wet and I was coming around a blind bend, next thing I know a deer jumped out of no where, there was nothing I can do except hope that I didn't get hurt. I wasn't going to hit the brakes to spin out since S2000's are tail happy, and just hope God was watching me that night and he was the deer jumped on the hood of my car and took off into the woods.
    And if you were going that 5mph faster then you would have hit the deer and probably been injured. Thanks for proving my point though.

Damn I can't tell you how many times I've tried to say the same thing. It always goes unnoticed, though. People that say speed isn't a factor in the majority of wrecks are wrong, for the most part. Speed is a factor in almost all wrecks. That doesn't mean that the one doing the speeding is the one causing the wreck all the time. There are other sources that cause wrecks that the outcome could possibly be greatly altered had speeds been different in other cars. Later, QD.

I understand the reasoning for this new "Super Speeder" law, but the real people is all the retards changing lanes without signaling, talking/texting on the cell phone while driving, slow people blocking off the left lane driving 10-15 mph slower than the posted speed limit and people tailgating others on the right lane. I was hit by a corrections officer the week before Thanksgiving and he totaled his state-owned Taurus. I will pretty much bet he was doing something with his cell phone. It's a start but like everything else it's a half-ass attempt. Remember, there are more stupid drivers out there who don't speed (typically the ones whom don't use their turn signals). Maybe taking the driving test again every so often would be an option...
    400,000+ miles; it keeps going and going...

1986 Corolla GT-S
    2000 Celica GT-S

And if you were going that 5mph faster then you would have hit the deer and probably been injured. Thanks for proving my point though.
    Point of the matter is fate is already decided. Who knows maybe that 5 or 10mph faster would of put me in front of the deer and I would of never seen him or known there was a deer jumping across the road.

Basicly this is just a way for cops to pay for those nice new cars they drive.

Basicly this is just a way for cops to pay for those nice new cars they drive.
    Again, if they don't get your money, then they can find another way to pay for them. If they pay for them on your dime over this, then it's your own fault.

And I mean you in a general term, not you personally, F8d. Later, QD.

Point of the matter is fate is already decided. Who knows maybe that 5 or 10mph faster would of put me in front of the deer and I would of never seen him or known there was a deer jumping across the road.
    So now instead of speed not being a factor, we should rely on divine intervention to keep us safe? You are even more detached from reality than I thought.

Interstate 85 has a lot of 2 lane mileage on it. Every mile above exit 120 is 2 lane all the way to the state line.

That is a good question how this law will be handled in that area. Later, QD.
    I thought they always counted the reverse way as well... so a two lane road would be one going one way, and one being the other... so I-85 would be considered a mostly 4 lane interestate.. .would it not?

i drive a giant blueberry preferredduck's Avatar

i wgree with you here. back in 00 i had a brand new SI and used to do alot of racing etc. the older i got i realixed i could have killed a mother, a family, a father etc. if i'm on a bumpkin backroad with nobody coming then let it rip and it would be my death only(which i don't do anyways), but on the freeway you need to be careful of other people. i know if i would have killed someone driving and lived i would have hell to pay in my mind the rest of my life for sure.

just tuesday i was going 85N and i noticed the flow of traffic was 85-90mph and it was hard as hell to slow below 80mph even in the slow lanes, it seemed nobody really cared about the law. then i saw the reader going down the road and brake checked him so he would put down the damn AJC.
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!

Here is the breakdown in Fatalaties in Georgia, 2007 from the census bureau.

Total: 1,641

Speed related fatalities -384 Total

Speeds-
    Interstate:
    Over 55 24 Total
    Under 55 14 Total

Non Interstate:
    55 and over -117
    50mph -7
    45mph -58
    40mph -12
    35mph -68
    35 and under -28

So there was 1641 motor vehicle fatalities for 2007
    384 were speed related
    What were the other 1300 fatalities caused by? Probably a stupid driver.
    i have a good example, women on cell phones. i'm telling you i have seen more people almost die from this than anyone speeding b/c the person usually speeding is not on the phone and has full attention to their car and surrounding cars. in a 6 mile stretch i saw a woman in an explorer almost cause 7 head on collisions and she ran off the road 7 times which she almost spun out on every time. when i brought this to her attention she got pissed like she did nothing wrong aven though she prob has had like 6 wrecks on her record.
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!

Lolol.

QD in a semi, that's scary, what do you drive? freightshaker, peterbuilt, mack?

Quote Originally Posted by ahabion View Post
    I thought they always counted the reverse way as well... so a two lane road would be one going one way, and one being the other... so I-85 would be considered a mostly 4 lane interestate.. .would it not?
    I believe so. I wasn't thinking about the opposite lanes at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by preferredduck View Post
    just tuesday i was going 85N and i noticed the flow of traffic was 85-90mph and it was hard as hell to slow below 80mph even in the slow lanes,
    I get exactly what you're saying and I am guilty of this as well at times. But the only thing I can't agree with is the "hard to slow down part." It's not hard to slow down at all. You just do it. If everyone else piles up behind you, then so be it. They can go around you or they can just wait. Why should you take a chance on getting that ticket just so the people behind you can drive however they want? Unless they're going to pay for the ticket and have those points put on their record, lolol. But again, I know exactly what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by preferredduck View Post
    QD in a semi, that's scary, what do you drive? freightshaker, peterbuilt, mack?
    Freightliner or Volvo is all I drive. Later, QD.

IA Member

As stated before the real problem with this law is that it was not intended to make the roads safer but rather to increase revenue for the state, case in point, if I were go 74 mph down a two lane road in some neighborhood with a speed limit of 25 mph I would not be affected by the super speeder laws even thought I was going nearly three time the posted speed limit. On the other hand if I were on i75 or i85 where the speed limit was 70 mph and I was going 85 mph, and less than 10 mph over the flow of traffic I would much less of a danger to the public than I would be in the prior circumstance. A better way to write this law would have been to make this law effective at a certain percentage above the posted speed or to say anyone going x mph over the posted speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by mm2654 View Post
    As stated before the real problem with this law is that it was not intended to make the roads safer but rather to increase revenue for the state,
    It was openly meant to create revenue for the trauma centers that are desperate for cash.

Quote Originally Posted by mm2654 View Post
    case in point, if I were go 74 mph down a two lane road in some neighborhood with a speed limit of 25 mph I would not be affected by the super speeder laws e

I have said several times that this law needs to be re-written to be dependent on the posted speed limit so we are in agreement there.

Quote Originally Posted by ahabion View Post
    According to the GA Drivers' Manual you are correct sir. Ex. One lane going northbound and the other lane southbound.

From the GA Drivers' Manual: This somewhat clarifies what a TWO-Lane road is.

How To Pass On A Two-Lane Road
    Wait for a passing zone to begin. A passing zone is indicated by striped lines
    to the right of the center line of the roadway. If the line nearest to your vehicle is solid, you are not in a passing zone. Look ahead along the roadway to determine the length of the passing zone and if there is traffic approaching
    from the opposite direction. You must have sufficient time and space to
    execute your passing maneuver and return your vehicle completely to the right lane before the passing zone ends, before entering an intersection, and before oncoming traffic is within 200 feet of your vehicle.
    1999 Corolla CE & 1988 Pontiac Fiero

It was openly meant to create revenue for the trauma centers that are desperate for cash.
    Technically then can use the money for whatever:

GA Law:

(e) All fees collected under the provisions of this Code section shall be deposited in the general fund of this state with the intent that these moneys be used to fund a trauma care system in Georgia and the direct and indirect costs associated with the administration of this Code section. The Office of Treasury and Fiscal Services shall separately account for all of the moneys received under the provisions of this Code section.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Technically then can use the money for whatever:
    Well the state is flat broke... so I have no objection to that. If it were a choice between superspeeder or a tax hike I would go with superspeeder err'day.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender View Post
    If it were a choice between superspeeder or a tax hike I would go with superspeeder err'day.
    Fuck yeah! At least the super speeder law only affects those that break it. Tax hike would get everyone. Later, QD.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender View Post
    Well the state is flat broke... so I have no objection to that. If it were a choice between superspeeder or a tax hike I would go with superspeeder err'day.

Something we actually agree about.

i honestly don't have a problem with the law either. too many people have lost loved ones because of someone being completely stupid

Fuck yeah! At least the super speeder law only affects those that break it. Tax hike would get everyone. Later, QD.

i agree. the people that break it are the ones that are going to be bitching about it, abide by the rules and you won't have to pay

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JDMbabe View Post
    i agree. the people that break it are the ones that are going to be bitching about it, abide by the rules and you won't have to pay
    Agreed

A law that makes the roads safer for all of us? I'm all for it. Personally, I've found myself driving a lot slower because I don't want to pay such a HUGE fine for speeding. In my eyes, this law is nothing but a good thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123