Thread: OBama to Banks "IM AN ASSCLOWN"

Default OBama to Banks "IM AN ASSCLOWN"

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama challenged top bankers Monday to explore "every responsible way" to increase lending, saying they were obliged to help after being rescued by taxpayers. He asked them to "take a third and fourth look" at their small-business lending.

US Bancorp CEO Richard Davis told the group meeting at the White House that his bank would be willing to take a second look at every loan it rejects. And he said he would present the idea to other members of the Financial Services Roundtable — a group representing the largest financial companies, according to the Roundtable. Davis is its incoming chairman.

Obama, in a statement after more than an hourlong meeting with the executives, said he reminded them that much of the financial crisis that took the U.S. banking system to the brink of collapse had been "of their own making." He also exhorted the executives — both in private and in public — to drop their opposition to an overhaul of the nation's financial industry.

"If they wish to fight commonsense consumer protections, that's a fight I'm more than willing to have," Obama told reporters in the Diplomatic Reception Room of the executive mansion.

He also urged lenders to find creative ways to free up lending. Obama said banks have benefited from bailouts and should use that strength to lend more money to consumer and businesses.

"But given the difficulty business people are having as lending has declined and given the exceptional assistance banks received to get them through a difficult time," he said, "we expect them to explore every responsible way to help get our economy moving again."

Delay, he said, was not an option he was willing to consider as his administration has focused on digging out an economy that has left more than 15 million Americans out-of-work. An economy with double-digit unemployment next year threatens political fortunes for Obama's fellow Democrats in the 2010 midterm elections — and presumably even Obama himself in a 2012 re-election bid.

The president has sought to bolster Americans' confidence, talking often about accomplishments from the $787 billion economic stimulus package he sought early in his office and a potential follow-up jobs program to jump-start the economy.

"And so I urged these institutions here today to go back and take a third and fourth look about how they are operating when it comes to small business and medium-sized business lending," he said.

Bank of America CEO Kenneth Lewis pledged to Obama that his bank would lend $5 billion more to small- and mid-sized businesses in 2010 than it did in 2009, the bank said. It said the move is part of the bank's broader effort to support an economic recovery.

JPMorgan said last month that it would boost such lending by $4 billion.

Obama's stern lecture came hours after Citigroup Inc. said that it was repaying $20 billion in bailout money it received from the Treasury Department, in an effort to reduce government influence over the banking giant. The government will also sell its stake in the company.

The New York-based bank was among the hardest hit by the credit crisis and rising loan defaults and got one of the largest bailouts of any banks during the financial crisis. The government gave it $45 billion in loans and agreed to protect losses on nearly $300 billion in risky investments. Wells Fargo & Co. remains the last national bank that has yet to pay back its bailout money.

Despite Obama's pointed words, the bankers have said that lending is limited by factors beyond their control: The sluggish economy and tighter oversight by regulators. The slow economy has businesses reluctant to expand — and makes banks more grim about their prospects. Loan applications are down.

Meanwhile, regulators are telling banks to be more skeptical about potential borrowers. They are forcing banks to keep larger cushions of capital to protect against future losses. That means there's less money available to lend.

The meeting came amid Obama's fierce criticism of Wall Street. In an interview that aired on Sunday, Obama rebuked executive paychecks at firms that only last year required tax dollars to keep their doors open.

"I did not run for office to be helping out a bunch of fat cat bankers on Wall Street," Obama told CBS's "60 Minutes."

Bankers brushed off Obama's harsh rhetoric.

Davis, of US Bancorp, denied that there was any rancor after Obama's "fat cats" comment.

"It was an opportunity for the president to make clear how important some of these issues are," he told reporters in the White House driveway. "We haven't done as good a job as we can in the future to align the interests of our constituents with those of the American public."

After House passage of a regulatory overhaul Friday, the work now shifts to the Senate, which has been preoccupied with health care legislation.

Obama said rhetoric and reality on financial overhaul don't align.

"The problem is, there's a big gap between what I'm hearing here in the White House and the activities of lobbyists on behalf of these institutions or associations of which they're a member up on Capitol Hill," Obama said.

"I urged them to close that gap, and they assured me that they would make every effort to do so."

Davis said Obama talked about the difference between bankers' broad support of the financial overhaul and the strident objections raised by their industry groups and lobbyists.

"We think there was probably a disconnect as well," Davis said. "We're going to do a better job, beginning with the CEOs, to work with the lobbyists directly and be the voice with those administration leaders to come to a conclusion that we haven't before."

Banks, industry groups and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce have uniformly rejected the administration's proposal to create a new Consumer Financial Protection Agency. Some have proposed alternatives that consumer groups believe would defang the proposed agency.

Monday's remarks were the first to suggest that the opposition did not reflect the bankers' positions.

"I think that the disagreement over (the consumer agency) has sort of colored much of the debate and overshadowed" industry's support for other parts of Obama's financial overhaul, said Kenneth Bentsen, who heads the Washington office of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association.

There has been no shortage of contact between the bankers and the groups that have campaigned against parts of the administrations financial overhaul. The Financial Services Roundtable is in conversation with the CEOs it represents multiple times a week, its leaders have said. The board of SIFMA meets at least once a week and includes top executives from Goldman Sachs and other big banks.

Seriously, is he just this stupid? Demanding the banks to lend sounds almost as foolish as looking the other way when they were lending to everyone the last 10 years.

You cant DEMAND the banks to take stimulus money, then try to control them, then get pissed when they repay you the money back to get out from under your thumb.

You cant demonize the people you need to count on to pull you out of a recession. He doesnt know anything about lending or who the banks SHOULD and SHOULDNT lend to. Im not saying all bankers are right, im saying that i trust them to be able to run their business the way they see fit, and not take orders from a President.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

I agree with you for once, it seems that in these times credit and lending should be harder to get and that the banks need to tighten up versus just giving money to anyone like they have in years past. It is contradictory to regulate with one hand and then try to free up credit with the other, but not to the point where I would say the Pres is "stupid". Flexing a little muscle on the banks will push them to pay the funds back quickly as you said. If he were more accommodating to the banks they might get too comfortable with the arrangement.

Its encouraging that the banks are starting to pay their bailouts back, most of the bailout funds to the banks and GM were loans, so the bailout debt is not quite as bad as its often made out to be. The Gov't stands to actually make money on a lot of these deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender View Post
    I agree with you for once, it seems that in these times credit and lending should be harder to get and that the banks need to tighten up versus just giving money to anyone like they have in years past. It is contradictory to regulate with one hand and then try to free up credit with the other, but not to the point where I would say the Pres is "stupid". Flexing a little muscle on the banks will push them to pay the funds back quickly as you said. If he were more accommodating to the banks they might get too comfortable with the arrangement.

Its encouraging that the banks are starting to pay their bailouts back, most of the bailout funds to the banks and GM were loans, so the bailout debt is not quite as bad as its often made out to be. The Gov't stands to actually make money on a lot of these deals.
    We agree on this.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." - Steve McQueen

YES WE DO... seriously.. mike is right
    GECKO SQUAD MEMBER
    MSS RACING REPRESENTA.....
    the saga continues....

I agree with most of the points, but fuck the banks and he is stupid to think by giving banks money they would lend. Wall street doesn't give two cents about anyone, except for greed and we should have let them get buried by their own greed. If you wanted them to lend then you should have broken up the banks and made them smaller.

I knew the Banks would take tax payer money and then raise the rates on customers who pay their bills just so that you can quickly pay back a bull shit zero interest life line that should have not be given to those greedy bankers in the first place. Banks have not learned and they will fuck up again
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERJC View Post
    I agree with most of the points, but fuck the banks and he is stupid to think by giving banks money they would lend. Wall street doesn't give two cents about anyone, except for greed and we should have let them get buried by their own greed. If you wanted them to lend then you should have broken up the banks and made them smaller.

I knew the Banks would take tax payer money and then raise the rates on customers who pay their bills just so that you can quickly pay back a bull shit zero interest life line that should have not be given to those greedy bankers in the first place. Banks have not learned and they will fuck up again
    there is a lot of truth to your statements as well. But you cant get rid of banking all together that wont work right? They have to exist in some form or another.

The problem is EVERYBODY is screaming about bonuses, bailouts, banks, etc CAUSING the financial melt down, but then on the other hand you say "please sir give me some more".

Theres a lot of stuff going on that is affecting lending.

1) SMall business DOES NOT WANT TO HIRE OR GROW right now because they are UNSURE of what OBAMANOMICS is going to do to them. Healthcare Taxes looming, Cap And Trade taxes sending fuel costs up, consumer confidence down, markets volatile, etc. People are cutting BACK, not expanding. That means they arent APPLYING for loans, thats not the banks fault.

2) Obama is famous for criticizing the industry on one hand to suit his own needs, then trying to sweet talk or demand action from the very same industry he put down. Case in point: Healthcare. Demonize the EVIL INSURANCE COMPANIES OUT TO MAKE A PROFIT, try to replace them by using a Govt Option, but if that doesnt work, try to be nice to them so they can at least try and support your plan on some platform.

3) you cant say "Fat Cats with golden parachutes at Banks caused this financial crisis through irresponsible lending". Then turn around and say "guys you have to start making more loans, poeple you rejected, look at them again , maybe even 3 or 4 times". Makes NO SENSE.

Banks were lending to EVERYONE which is what got us in this mess. Now, they are showing restraint by ONLY loaning to SURE things, and they are being told they are being too strict. You cannot have it both ways. If Obama would just shut his mouth on things he obviously doesnt understand, and focus on giving the small business people REASONS t o expand the lending problems would solve itself.

Instead hes going to force the banks to make bad decisions AGAIN and just prolong this thing another 5-7 years
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Banks want to make money. They do that by giving out loans to people they believe can repay them with interest. Does Obama think they don't want to make money now, does he want them to make bad loans, or does he think they are unable to determine how reliable people are? I just want to know what the logic is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    there is a lot of truth to your statements as well. But you cant get rid of banking all together that wont work right? They have to exist in some form or another.

The problem is EVERYBODY is screaming about bonuses, bailouts, banks, etc CAUSING the financial melt down, but then on the other hand you say "please sir give me some more".

Theres a lot of stuff going on that is affecting lending.

1) SMall business DOES NOT WANT TO HIRE OR GROW right now because they are UNSURE of what OBAMANOMICS is going to do to them. Healthcare Taxes looming, Cap And Trade taxes sending fuel costs up, consumer confidence down, markets volatile, etc. People are cutting BACK, not expanding. That means they arent APPLYING for loans, thats not the banks fault.

2) Obama is famous for criticizing the industry on one hand to suit his own needs, then trying to sweet talk or demand action from the very same industry he put down. Case in point: Healthcare. Demonize the EVIL INSURANCE COMPANIES OUT TO MAKE A PROFIT, try to replace them by using a Govt Option, but if that doesnt work, try to be nice to them so they can at least try and support your plan on some platform.

3) you cant say "Fat Cats with golden parachutes at Banks caused this financial crisis through irresponsible lending". Then turn around and say "guys you have to start making more loans, poeple you rejected, look at them again , maybe even 3 or 4 times". Makes NO SENSE.

Banks were lending to EVERYONE which is what got us in this mess. Now, they are showing restraint by ONLY loaning to SURE things, and they are being told they are being too strict. You cannot have it both ways. If Obama would just shut his mouth on things he obviously doesnt understand, and focus on giving the small business people REASONS t o expand the lending problems would solve itself.

Instead hes going to force the banks to make bad decisions AGAIN and just prolong this thing another 5-7 years
    I do believe we need more regulation.

There is a lot of greed in the financial world and more regulation will off set the problems that come with it (Just make it a little harder for them to screw the American ppl). I wish I could remember what exactly the banks were doing to screw themselves. 60 minutes did two great programs describing the complex games banks were playing with oil and housing that cost them big when they kept playing a hand that sooner or later would catch back up with them. Banks are the main factor in rise of energy prices in the world b/c how they were using futures to create a demand that was not truly there b/c they had the capital to put fear in the market that oil will be scarce tomorrow even though we have excess today. So when oil came crashing down, that struck a huge blow that they didn't need since banks were already bleeding badly from the housing crisis. With the housing market, banks were hoping ppl would lose their houses (Just not that many) b/c housing prices and home buyers were steady rising over the years and became big business for banks to sell those loans to other banks.
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons

Theres a bunch of problems

The banks (more like their investment banking side) was doing A LOT of speculation. They over speculated and put almost all of their liquidity into these mortgage backed securities and when the market tanked, so did their balance sheet.

I agree regulation is the key. But whose doing the regulating? more crooked politicians. Barney Frank is still on the Finance Committee, all this happened under his watch yet he still has a job? Same with Chris Dodd.

It happened under GWBush too, and he let it go on, hes as much to blame too.

I think greed in some form is good. It promotes ambition. But Greed unchecked can cause huge problems.

The banks learned (for the time being ) from their mistakes and they are being more repsonsible about lending now, i dont think the Prez should be attacking them and telling them to loan more. I think their analysts know a good loan when they see one, and a bad one to pass on.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Well the Prez shouldn't be talking publicly about it, he could always use taxes or laws to encourage lending if he was serious about it. But telling a business what to do just because you're the President is foolish and makes you look like a ass hat. Politicians are responsible for most of our own country's problem and if this country has any hope on greatly improving we as the people need to ask more of our Politicians.

In order for regulation to work you must stop the money under the table that happens with agencies they overlook industries
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons

i drive a giant blueberry preferredduck's Avatar

the sad part is the bailout money they got they did not lend out, they bought other banks and assets to benefit them and screw us. there are still alot of foreclosures that have yet to be even put on the books yet so watch out for an even worse round of foreclosures.
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!

i drive a giant blueberry preferredduck's Avatar

Well the Prez shouldn't be talking publicly about it, he could always use taxes or laws to encourage lending if he was serious about it. But telling a business what to do just because you're the President is foolish and makes you look like a ass hat. Politicians are responsible for most of our own country's problem and if this country has any hope on greatly improving we as the people need to ask more of our Politicians.

In order for regulation to work you must stop the money under the table that happens with agencies they overlook industries
    i think one of the roosevelts did this back in the day, his first victim was jp morgan and the railroad monopolies. so BO(body odor lol( isn't the first to try this.
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!