Thread: Obama - A up to date economic standpoint -

Certified Gearhead

Default Obama - A up to date economic standpoint -

Call it arrogant but I believe this is a must read for any and every Obama supporter. This is my response to:

Really?You do realize that conservative and democratic economist all said that spending was needed to stop the economic freefall last year. Plus many of the gop governors and senators that fought against it basically begged for it afterward (except Sanford but check it out and try to prove me wrong). Besides that I can list several things that have been done. His actions spurred a 73 percent increase in lending to small businesses, allowing them to expand and create new jobs; helped hundreds of thousands of responsible Americans keep their homes; and cut taxes for 95 percent of working families. He's expanded health care for children, passed equal pay for equal work legislation, and expanded stem cell research. And he is now closer than any president in decades to passing health reform that bans insurance companies from denying coverage due to pre-existing conditions (GOP health care plan doesn't have that and they basically didn't want to have a plan but rather destroy this one) , outlaws insurance discrimination based on gender, and caps what patients can be charged out-of-pocket, we don't have combat troops in Iraq (we have troops designed to train Iraqi police), the economy is growing again, much sooner than most experts predicted. If growth continues, it should lead to job growth.

I'm sorry Matt but he has done a number of things. Fact check me if you think I'm wrong. When you're done with that actually tell me how he made us worse off because I believe in cold facts and not political memes .

Economic spending is different than massive defecit rolling. The “freefall” had well stopped before he got into office. The worst we saw was actually nov/dec of ’08. His stimulus and economic action didn’t occur til February and later on, not to mention as with any central actions, it takes time for the effects of the fiscal and monetary changes to be seen. Thus the stopping of the freefall wasn’t so much Obama, more so credited to the cyclical nature of a depression. Spending directly from borrowed funds is a short term “political answer” to appease the people all the while creating a very scary long run future for the economically minded. I fall more under a libertarian mindset so this definitely isn’t a GOP vs Liberal thing for me, I hate almost the same amount in regards to both parties. I simply believe what Obama has done, has put us worse off in a long run timeframe.

Spending was required by he has absolutely no check on the national debt and running up the national defecit year after year will simply put us worse off. Excessive monetary policy simply brings us back to the limits of the PPF but does not spur long term development and expansion, that is caused by fiscal stimulus (tax breaks to the foundation of our economy). However, its not the tax breaks which Obama has supported. The top 5% that don’t get breaks are the ones that pay over 54% of income revenue. The bottom 50% don’t pay any taxes (so he actually only gave a tax break to 45% of Americans when you look at who actually received a benefit from the change in taxes). So when you look at it, he cut taxes for the middle class, people the income in this time of need other than pay off their debt (which is actually counter productive towards growth) and have increased savings (to historically high records for Americans…. Not a good sign for consumer confidence). If there were tax breaks towards the top 5% (which is approx at the $150k salary mark) we would see a much faster recovery, higher capital investment (even with a raised tax on capital gains, the rich are the ones who invest and investing is the proprietary foundation for the creation of new and sustainable jobs.

Plenty of economists agree that the $800 billion spent last spring did little or nothing for actual job creation. It BS imo to claim that economic recovery which is a cyclical occurrence is credited to a mere $800 billion stimulus… especially in a economy of $14 trillion GDP and one that had already bottomed out. Lending froze unnecessarily, we all know that due to the fact that credit is determined by faith in the economy as well as faith between the lender and debtor. I admit that lending improved between Feb 6th and Mar 6th on the Consumer m/m (measures monthly net change in outstanding credit) but credit levels are still dropping at historical levels ($-21.6 billion for the month of August alone?) I mean really… Obama’s effectiveness against credit lending was like throwing a rock at a tsunami. ISM Mfg PMI has been contracting all the way til Sept 1st and ISM Non-Mfg PMI didn’t post above 50 til October. As for unemployment? The non-mfg sector has yet to post a positive employment number since April of ’08, I think last month it was at -250k. Meaning the net change in unemployment was a loss of -250k jobs. Please tell me how job creation has occurred? The only time our unemployment rate has declined in the past 2 years was During the month of July when it dropped from %9.5 to %9.4, which since it has risen to 9.8% and expected to break 10% this week. There is no empirical evidence that his economic “stimulus” has actually done anything for the economy as a whole. Which means $800 billion wasted future taxpayers $$$ not to mention the feeding inflation (I’m not placing the sole blame on him because the Fed has its role but the difference is, the Fed is actually willing to combat inflation).

Expanded healthcare for children at what expense? You forget, there’s maybe 10 million uninsured people in the US. The 43 million you so ever incessantly hear about is inflated with the people who CHOOSE not to have health insurance. Take health economics (I forget which but its econ 4xxx), it will really open your eyes to the skew of both international and domestic health statistics and show you how much politicians will really lie to sell their ideals. Health is a choice, not a right and burden that the rest of society should carry. Not to mention this great “health” reform is cutting government health care to the elderly…. So lets see… cut out health insurance to the elderly, most of which are retired, to offer it to the majority of people who are capable of working full time and receiving full time benefits???? Logic never was Obama’s strong suit… he should stick to public speaking, he’d be more successful. You do realize that government instigated health insurance has a ripple effect against plenty of other sectors, not just health insurance (though the job loss in the health insurance sector certainly would increase). We would also see lower medical field pay (lower tax revenue across the entire industry), increased medical school subsidies just to sustain current levels of student intent. What you get is a whole lot of government spending, with largely detrimental effects. If you want a surefire way to make this economy worse than it is now in the long run, let the government choose your health plan. You want to know the way to bring down insurance premiums and make it far more affordable? Eliminate bullshit malpractice suits that are eating up our courts, judicial system, and raising our insurance premiums. The majority of malpractice suits (almost all of which are settled by insurance companies) are completely bogus and increase insurance costs of doctors (my mom was a nurse for a plastic surgeon who ran his own practice in seattle. Malpractice insurance cost him $80,000/year in premiums). Who do you think those additional costs get passed on to through the doctors rates? That’s right, the consumer’s insurance provider who in turn raises premiums to afford doctor rates. You throw out BS cases and we will see the medical industry maintain salaries (thus keeping consumer spending and tax revenues) and you will also see a drastic decrease in private premiums across the board. Thus making it more available to those who truly cannot afford it (rather than just doing a clean sweep even for those that don’t choose it).

As for troops, you misread way too much liberal media. We currently have over 120,000 troops in Iraq currently (http://usliberals.about.com/od/homel...raqNumbers.htm) its even a liberal source lol. All Obama has ever done (not just about Iraq but the majority of his platform too) is pledge to do things. He claimed to have troops out in 16 months, now its pull them out by Aug ’10 and leave 50,000 “non combat” troops behind… that’s over 1/3rd of what is currently there…. Is that really pulling them out or just downsizing it and labeling it different for the psychological effect on the masses. Not to mention he’s continually increasing troop count in Afghanistan… so its not like hes bringing them home at all (like he stated in his campaign), he is simply giving them a courtesy flight next door.

The economy I admit is growing but this is the first time since 2007 that we have seen growth in GDP (plenty of sectors are still down). The recession has run its course rather than anything Obama has actually done. And no expert ever expected the recession to be this long (3 years? I mean come on ffs) so entering into a recovery was simply a sigh of relief rather than an unexpected occurrence, not to mention we still have yet to see us strong enough to raise interest rates (something the fed is meeting on currently and will announce at 2:25 pm today). Complete support is aimed at keeping the rates <.25% meaning that people have yet to regain faith in the stability and foundation of the economy enough to bring interest rates back up (something that will happen in order to mitigate obscene inflation that this massive budget deficit is going to instigate).

While the coincidence is humorous in regards to the Obama SNL skit, I’ve been pointing at the fallacies in the Obama administration for months now. What happened to the promises of the campaign? Gitmo closed in 90 days? He has basically given up on that… talked about it for a few weeks, said “it was too hard, lets move on to other things, hopefully they forget what I said”. He also claimed to reduce the obscene power of the executive branch yet here we are seeing him expanding his reaches. I’m fine with politics, trust me I see both sides and actually come with mixed opinions on both parties but the thing I loathe the most is the obscene lack of integrity amongst those in Washington. Honestly I would have much rather seen someone such as Mitt Romney running instead of McCain. I truly believe last election was the lesser of two evils but the least that the victor could choose is to do something with long term productivity in mind, even if it doesn’t spur immediate results.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/nati...ewsrelease.htm

3.5% real GDP growth 3rd quarter 2009

4.0% increase in purchasing goods & services

14.7% increase in exports

etc etc.

We're starting to crawl out of the hole. It took 8 years to get us into this mess, its foolish to think we will get out in less than one.

I do agree with you that we should take Obama to task about the delay in closing GITMO and the need withdraw from Iraq quickly.

This little ray of sunshine we are seeing now is nothing but a tease, ask any economist We are more than likely be worse off in a couple years.
    Try not. Do or Do not.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eraser4g63 View Post
    This little ray of sunshine we are seeing now is nothing but a tease, ask any economist We are more than likely be worse off in a couple years.

If the economists can't even agree on what is happening with the economy, what chance do the average citizens have? You can find data right now to support almost any position, especially when you compare to "what could have been." Unemployment is 9.8% but it could have been 12%. The stimulus created 650,000 jobs but we could have created 2million if it were used for tax breaks instead. These answers are incredible difficult to determine and can vary greatly from one estimate to the next. This is why you don't see anyone changing their minds on economic policies. Everyone just pays attention to the numbers that back what they already believe.

I'm skeptical of anyone who thinks they have the complete answer for this mess.

IA's Pervert

Nice post Matt.

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender View Post

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/nati...ewsrelease.htm

3.5% real GDP growth 3rd quarter 2009
    Not really a point to this post because I didn't see much in yours except partial agreement? I didn't really get what you were trying to say, did you even read my post? But 3.5% is very easily overshot GDP for Q3. We all know cash for clunkers was a publicity stunt for the "blurp of confidence" Obama wanted to give the people (make them think he was actually doing something long term productive). But 3.5% is not the reality nor is it where we are at. The "new norm" everyone is talking about will most likely be around 2%. PS doesn't mean jack squat if GDP growth ends up being eaten by inflation in the long run.

4.0% increase in purchasing goods & services

14.7% increase in exports

etc etc.
    Not quite sure where to go with this one. 4% increase in purchasing goods? Source? lol, Core Retail m/m has been down 6 of the last 12 months and the small increases have been sparatic and far outweighed by losing months. The significant increase was only attributed to cash for clunkers and not sustainable. Core Retail m/m is still stagnating like crazy. The Increase in exports is econ 101, we have an increasingly weakening dollar that is outrunning our buying power and don't have the purchasing power to continually import as we have in the past on the same level. You can take that as a "good" sign if you really want to.

We're starting to crawl out of the hole. It took 8 years to get us into this mess, its foolish to think we will get out in less than one.
    Was that out in one a reference at me? Just a fyi, this post wasnt saying we should be "out in one", it was more so a statement that Obama has made it worse off than it really is.Also, if your referring to the banking crisis it took more than 8 years, but good insinuation at Bush nonetheless. Banking failure was due to the democratic encouragement and statement and deregulation in the 90's that said every American right to own a home. I mean we could go round and round with who's to blame but in the end, the facts are the recession started in 2007 and if we have another positive Q we will finally have broken that according to the official definition of a recession. PMI's all indicate we are experiencing "some" expansion but it sure is hell no where near the levels of 3.5. My est for Q4 is around the 1% mark.

I do agree with you that we should take Obama to task about the delay in closing GITMO and the need withdraw from Iraq quickly.
    Was more so a reference to the lack of integrity on Obama's part for trying to let things he promised slide off the table and be overwhelmed by other matters he is "attending to".

Patience Pays...

Problem I have with the admnistration right now is this whole idea that deregulation led to many of our economic problems yet they have not taken a stance against a democratic led initiative not to require 3rd party audits of Corporations with a market cap less than 75 million. You run on a certain platform then turn our back on the very thing that help got you elected, not happy about it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Problem I have with the admnistration right now is this whole idea that deregulation led to many of our economic problems yet they have not taken a stance against a democratic led initiative not to require 3rd party audits of Corporations with a market cap less than 75 million. You run on a certain platform then turn our back on the very thing that help got you elected, not happy about it at all.
    x2
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons

That adds costs to smaller companies, adding another obstacle to entrepreneurship and growth. If they are publicly traded they have to conform to SEC rules anyways, if they are closely held I don't really see a problem. Any large significant corporation in the financial industry (which supposedly is the cause of our financial turmoil) is going to have a market cap much greater than $75 million. They are the ones that need to be more regulated.
    Last edited by SampaGuy; 11-05-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verik View Post

You forget, there’s maybe 10 million uninsured people in the US. The 43 million you so ever incessantly hear about is inflated with the people who CHOOSE not to have health insurance.
    Are those 43 million people choosing not to have health insurance because they all live healthy lifestyles and therefore don't need it? Do they have superpowers and never get sick? No, its because health insurance is expensive. That's the only reason. If it was free, they would take it, so you can't just ignore them like that.

You want to know the way to bring down insurance premiums and make it far more affordable? Eliminate bullshit malpractice suits that are eating up our courts, judicial system, and raising our insurance premiums. The majority of malpractice suits (almost all of which are settled by insurance companies) are completely bogus and increase insurance costs of doctors (my mom was a nurse for a plastic surgeon who ran his own practice in seattle. Malpractice insurance cost him $80,000/year in premiums). Who do you think those additional costs get passed on to through the doctors rates? That’s right, the consumer’s insurance provider who in turn raises premiums to afford doctor rates.
    Yup, and also promoting healthier lifestyles.

Patience Pays...

Quote Originally Posted by plv View Post
    That adds costs to smaller companies, adding another obstacle to entrepreneurship and growth. If they are publicly traded they have to conform to SEC rules anyways, if they are closely held I don't really see a problem. Any large significant corporation in the financial industry (which supposedly is the cause of our financial turmoil) is going to have a market cap much greater than $75 million. They are the ones that need to be more regulated.
    But investors like you and I invest in companies that do have a cap under 75 million, yeah institutional investors may not be affected by it but the line between transparency and cooking the books for the common investor is now that much harder to distinguish.

But investors like you and I invest in companies that do have a cap under 75 million, yeah institutional investors may not be affected by it but the line between transparency and cooking the books for the common investor is now that much harder to distinguish.
    Yes but these are real companies that create real jobs and real tangible goods. These things are much more important to the economy than the small traders like you and I because we are just speculators who create financial bubbles, in the end doing more harm than good

EVERYONE says the GDP growth is from cash for clunkers and the massive amount of money the Govt spent ie stimulus.

Has nothing to do with actual growth IE sustained growth.

Real test will be next quarters numbers after the holidays. If we contract by 2%+ then it was all bullshit.

Jobless numbers are still half a million+ per month, until that drops significantly, doesnt matter what our GDP is, without jobs or creation of jobs this all means nothing.

Only good thing i saw was increased productivity , that means that companies might be poised to start hiring again, but i dont see it happening until they know

A) what healthcare is going to do to them
    B) what the holiday spending numbers end up being
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Certified Gearhead

Are those 43 million people choosing not to have health insurance because they all live healthy lifestyles and therefore don't need it? Do they have superpowers and never get sick? No, its because health insurance is expensive. That's the only reason. If it was free, they would take it, so you can't just ignore them like that.
    Any rational being (as defined by economics standards) would take any "free' item if the opportunity cost to themself were to be less than the benefit. When i say choose not for health insurance, I truly mean they have the funds, they have the means, they simply do not wish to purchase healthcare. Their appetite for risk and preferences for other things besides health care is different then the rest of the population and have their own reasons for not choosing healthcare. I was talking about people who have the opportunity but do not.

Remember, health care is not a right. health itself is not a "right". this is not the land of equality... its the land of opportunity. no where in any document ratified by the united states have we stated that health is a guarenteed right of a citizen, a burden which all other citizens must bear.

Any rational being (as defined by economics standards) would take any "free' item if the opportunity cost to themself were to be less than the benefit. When i say choose not for health insurance, I truly mean they have the funds, they have the means, they simply do not wish to purchase healthcare. Their appetite for risk and preferences for other things besides health care is different then the rest of the population and have their own reasons for not choosing healthcare. I was talking about people who have the opportunity but do not.
    There are people who could afford full insurance on their car but choose not to. They believe in themselves as drivers and prefer to save money and take a risk instead. That is fine. Doesn't mean they aren't fucked when something unexpected happens and the car is gone.

Remember, health care is not a right. health itself is not a "right". this is not the land of equality... its the land of opportunity. no where in any document ratified by the united states have we stated that health is a guarenteed right of a citizen, a burden which all other citizens must bear.
    You're making it sound like it's a luxury item. Individually speaking, if you don't have health you basically have nothing. In the big picture, a unhealthy workforce can't be as productive.

If it is or isn't mentioned in some document is completely irrelevant because what it is about is doing the right thing, but let's not get into that.

Certified Gearhead

There are people who could afford full insurance on their car but choose not to. They believe in themselves as drivers and prefer to save money and take a risk instead. That is fine. Doesn't mean they aren't fucked when something unexpected happens and the car is gone.
    BUT ITS THEIR PERSONAL CHOICE! Thats like saying someone runs into your car but they don't have insurance. Because they choose to be less risk averse they suffer larger consequences... but what you're saying is that even though they made the choice not to buy car insurance, after the accident you should have to pay a deductible to fix their car.

You're making it sound like it's a luxury item. Individually speaking, if you don't have health you basically have nothing. In the big picture, a unhealthy workforce can't be as productive.
    It's not a luxury item, but it is relatively an item of choice. I agree their are hereditary and unpredictable occurrences but for the most part, being healthy is determined by your lifestyle choices...... you wouldn't have morbid obesity with heart problems and diabetes if you didnt have mcdonalds for lunch and dinner and krispy kreme every morning (granted it doesn't actually eliminate the risk of those conditions but obesity is highly linked with heart disease and diabetes, therefore by watching your consumption and choosing a healthy diet you can set yourself up for the best possible outcome... not getting those conditions). Agreed about labor force, but most rational people strive to be healthy, because remember, an unproductive laborer doesn't make as much money.

If it is or isn't mentioned in some document is completely irrelevant because what it is about is doing the right thing, but let's not get into that.
    so it's right that my income goes towards a lung cancer patient's chemo because he/she chose to smoke for 50 years? or dialysis treatments for an alcoholic? someone breaks their arm thats unfortunate, it was their choice to not be risk averse and purchase the insurance. I mean, just because they want to maintain their standards of buying that big flat screen or new car and opting out of health insurance, isn't my problem or shouldn't be my burden when shit hits the fan. They make the choice to sustain a higher lifestyle (we all know that most of America's priorities are truly fucked up.). Like I said, this is referring simply to the people that CHOOSE not to have insurance or opt out of their works benefit package for the extra income. That's exactly like saying,

"shit...... those guys that took the massive and absurd risks over at Lehman Brothers by bundling CDS's.... shit we should use government funds to create new jobs for them because their risky behavior brought on consequences and nobody should have to be responsible for risks they personally choose to take *rolls eyes*"

Certified Gearhead

same as placing a tax on a small business sector (which is the foundation of our economy) in the middle of a recession.... absolutely aweful timing to implement a policy such as that... maybe once we have regained our growth potential and are standing on our own two feet that would be something to consider to promote healthy business model's develop but for the time being, it would prolong the lagging growth (or lack there of) that we are seeing now.

It's not a luxury item, but it is relatively an item of choice. I agree their are hereditary and unpredictable occurrences but for the most part, being healthy is determined by your lifestyle choices...... you wouldn't have morbid obesity with heart problems and diabetes if you didnt have mcdonalds for lunch and dinner and krispy kreme every morning (granted it doesn't actually eliminate the risk of those conditions but obesity is highly linked with heart disease and diabetes, therefore by watching your consumption and choosing a healthy diet you can set yourself up for the best possible outcome... not getting those conditions). Agreed about labor force, but most rational people strive to be healthy, because remember, an unproductive laborer doesn't make as much money.
    Obviously I agree with the lifestyle thing, but I wouldn't say that's the majority of cases. There's an insane amount of unexplained shit that happens. If junk food and cigarettes were our only problems it would be easy. Rare diseases only affect a small number of people, the problem is there are like millions of different rare diseases. Then there are also a bunch of diseases that are not rare but are unpreventable.

so it's right that my income goes towards a lung cancer patient's chemo because he/she chose to smoke for 50 years? or dialysis treatments for an alcoholic? someone breaks their arm thats unfortunate, it was their choice to not be risk averse and purchase the insurance. I mean, just because they want to maintain their standards of buying that big flat screen or new car and opting out of health insurance, isn't my problem or shouldn't be my burden when shit hits the fan. They make the choice to sustain a higher lifestyle (we all know that most of America's priorities are truly fucked up.). Like I said, this is referring simply to the people that CHOOSE not to have insurance or opt out of their works benefit package for the extra income.
    Those examples definitely do exist, but what about if you live an extremely healthy life but you get in a car accident that wasn't even your fault and you need a heart transplant or something like that, and all of a sudden you're like $1 million in the hole. Now you will have to spend your life trying to pay it off basically ruining your life. What if you have a baby with health issues, you spend a fortune on him but he dies anyways, you're left with a pile of debt.

IMO health is almost a basic need of society just like education, security, etc. Getting rid of the malpractice insurance abuses and promoting healthier lifestyles could definitely make universal health care reasonable.

Certified Gearhead

Obviously I agree with the lifestyle thing, but I wouldn't say that's the majority of cases. There's an insane amount of unexplained shit that happens. If junk food and cigarettes were our only problems it would be easy. Rare diseases only affect a small number of people, the problem is there are like millions of different rare diseases. Then there are also a bunch of diseases that are not rare but are unpreventable.

Those examples definitely do exist, but what about if you live an extremely healthy life but you get in a car accident that wasn't even your fault and you need a heart transplant or something like that, and all of a sudden you're like $1 million in the hole. Now you will have to spend your life trying to pay it off basically ruining your life. What if you have a baby with health issues, you spend a fortune on him but he dies anyways, you're left with a pile of debt.

IMO health is almost a basic need of society just like education, security, etc. Getting rid of the malpractice insurance abuses and promoting healthier lifestyles could definitely make universal health care reasonable.
    health insurance covers auto accidents if you are the only person involved.... otherwise that falls under auto insurance (which is against the law not to have.... so are you saying the government should be covering everyone under auto insurance too?). Unexplainable shit happens! Thats the whole "risk averse or risk seeking aspect of things. There are things that you cannot predict and you are taking a risk by CHOOSING NOT TO HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE. If you are taking a risk, you must be fully prepared to accept the entire range of potential consequences. So those that choose to not pay for the insurance and end up with a $1 million dollar surgery debt load have no one else to blame, regardless of the circumstances, but themselves for making that choice. Plain and simple

And yes i believe the majority of Americans who choose not to have health insurance do it for lifestyle reasons. When insurance costs maybe 2k a year (for a full coverage/nice plan) and even less under employers benefit packages, I don't give two shits but you can find a way to cut 150$ from each month.... Poverty threshold is 20k per year for a single person. approx 13$ is our poverty rate (roughly 35 million iirc). Then again this is by the census bureau which simply measures off of yearly income and doesn't take into account inheritance, capital gains/401k/social security, or those who need not work for any other reasons and already have themselves provided for. I can tell you right now, off of $10,000 stipend a year I am living more comfortably than most college students I know and could easily afford to sacrifice my lifestyle for 150-250 per month if i wasn't already covered.

The reality is, American's have truly fucked up priorities and have this mentality, "well, it can't happen to me... so i dont care about precaution". Then when it happens they want to point the fucking finger at anyone but themselves.

Bottom line, you are responsible for the seen and unseen consequences associated with your actions. Plain and simple, if you choose to not have health insurance so you can afford a larger car payment or a nicer apartment or a new handbag etc you are simultaneously choosing that you will accept any of the infinite consequential outcomes.

Certified Gearhead

Getting rid of the malpractice insurance abuses and promoting healthier lifestyles could definitely make universal health care reasonable.
    I think you misunderstood.... That would absolutely make private health insurance affordable to just about everyone's income level. I wasn't referring to it being a solution for universal health care.

IA's Pervert

You can't compare auto insurance to Health insurance. In our state, I am sure everyone knows it is a LAW that requires auto insurance.

Proceed.

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by The Creeper View Post
    You can't compare auto insurance to Health insurance. In our state, I am sure everyone knows it is a LAW that requires auto insurance.

Proceed.

agreed... simply put, there is the option for health insurance..... those that choose it are among the majority of risk averse people... those who choose not are among the risk seekers out there. Priorities are fucked up out there and no one is ever wanting to take responsibility for their choices... plain and simple, the basis of unpredictable "what ifs" that could happen to a person who chooses not to have health insurance is not a sound or valid argument for centralizing healthcare to cover those people.

IA's Pervert

agreed... simply put, there is the option for health insurance..... those that choose it are among the majority of risk averse people... those who choose not are among the risk seekers out there. Priorities are fucked up out there and no one is ever wanting to take responsibility for their choices... plain and simple, the basis of unpredictable "what ifs" that could happen to a person who chooses not to have health insurance is not a sound or valid argument for centralizing healthcare to cover those people.
    Yea. I mean yes there are problems with healthcare, and with the insurance companies, but no this should not tried to be fixed over night.

This would never happen under universal health care:

Insurance.....makes no fucking sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Friggintitsman View Post
    Oddly enough a friend of mine has this conversation last night.

You're by law in most states to carry insurance. They charge you out the ass for it. You pay monthly on a vehicle that may never be damaged. All the while if you do get into an accident you have to pay a deductible as well as have your insurance company try every angle to stiff you on the bill.

Let's not even go into how bad health insurance is.

Certified Gearhead

This would never happen under universal health care:

Insurance.....makes no fucking sense!
    what would never happen? complete sentences would behoove you.

So according to friggintitsman, it makes no sense to purchase auto insurance because:

1. You pay monthly to minimize damage of a possible accident (last i checked thats a classic definition of risk aversion).
    2. You pay a deductible if you dont get into an accident. Really......... and here i was thinking premiums were monthly payments and deductibles are what you owe out of pocket (similiar to copay).
    3. They pool the risks associated with drivers on the road... thus if the majority of drivers out there are worse than you, it raises your premiums. So stiffing at every angle is risk management on their part.

That post carries no sound or valid comment or even possible merit in response to anything (especially let alone an analogy to health insurance). Also, what's bad about a deductible if you are paying for $40,000 in cat scans and surgery from head trauma if you dont have insurance?

i really like you plv, but the basis for your argument is progressively becoming more and more naive.

Ok sorry for not writing in complete sentences and fully explaining myself. I'm not that interested in health care. Not that that's an appropriate excuse. What made me initially reply though is that I felt that this was going to be a completely one-sided thread otherwise (just because you are against Obama everyone would agree with you regardless of points you brought up, so then you would start arguing about terminology instead ). If there was a simple straight-forward best answer to this though, there wouldn't be a health care debate in the first place.

The link I posted in my previous post was just an example of how shitty insurance companies sometimes are. If you read through that thread, you will see that the guy was paying for his coverage, or as you put it, being risk-averse and playing it safe. But now that he filed a claim, the insurance company is doing everything possible to try to not fulfill their part of the deal. Sure, they will have no problem paying him as soon as he threatens to take legal action. That's probably normal operating procedure for some insurance companies, some people cannot afford a lawyer and therefore do not sue. And that means profit for the insurance company. Pretty sure this happens not only with auto but also health insurance companies, like friggintitsman said.

You know how doctor appointments nowadays work, the nurse checks everything on you, takes a blood sample, asks what is wrong, etc. Your actual doctor only sees you for like less than 5 min, where he takes the clipboard from the nurse and analyzes what she wrote down rather than looking at the actual patient. Why? Because more patients seen per hour = more $$$. The nurses get paid much less hourly than the doctor. Not the best industry to apply free market capitalism IMO, because again health is a basic need of society.

You don't have to show me examples of how capitalism promotes competition which promotes quality, etc... I understand your point of view. In Brazil there is some public health care available, which is the shittiest thing you can imagine, but thankfully we could afford to go to private places instead when I lived there.

Then when I lived in Europe it was really freaking interesting because there was public health care that somewhat worked well (obviously they also pay for it in taxes). I was talking to my friend's dad and I asked him if it doesn't suck to be in the highest tax bracket (which over there is not only higher than here, it starts at less than half the amount too) and basically he told me he simply didn't mind because other people made less money. I was like wtf. Another friend of mine just couldn't grasp the concept that I was too proud and didn't want to sign up to receive unemployment while I was doing a unpaid internship (which was completely my choice to do). I told him I didn't want to leech the system, and he would say "but you pay taxes just like everyone else". It's just a completely different mindset and ideology.

It would be a better deal in the long term for you and I, who are relatively more educated and healthier than the average person I think, for universal health care not to be implemented. But what about the general population? Sometimes you gotta "take one for the team" for the prosperity of the whole team. Sure, it's really expensive. Maybe you're right and it's not the best way, I don't know, but I don't see how you can be so completely sure either in terms of the real overall benefit of the population in the long term.

This guy illustrates the correlation of GDP vs health really well (obviously not saying that you didn't know, just an interesting vid)

http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_roslin...ever_seen.html

BUT ITS THEIR PERSONAL CHOICE! Thats like saying someone runs into your car but they don't have insurance. Because they choose to be less risk averse they suffer larger consequences... but what you're saying is that even though they made the choice not to buy car insurance, after the accident you should have to pay a deductible to fix their car.
    Sounds like he is referring to the extranality associated with having uninsured people.
    "The 1911 is a collection of subsystems that must work together. Each part must be prepared and fit properly not only in and of itself, but also with regard to the other parts with which it must operate for the gun to function and appear as desired."

i drive a giant blueberry preferredduck's Avatar

HYPERINFLATION, coming to a store near you very soon. thats what happens when you print 12 trillion dollars from thin air!!! G/L
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!

If you believe that then all you have to do is use all your cash to buy gold, foreign currencies, real estate, etc. If you truly believe hyperinflation is coming, protect yourself.